Short throw shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hampton Bays
Region: New York
Posts: 9
Short throw shifter

Looking to get a short throw shifter for my 14 GT any recommendations?
volcomstone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: McLean
Region: Virginia
Posts: 264
I am interested in a new short throw shifter as well, based on feedback I have seen barton is pretty popular and I have also heard that even though the Ford racing one is a little more pricey it is well worth the price.
kaveh14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Clearsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Murrieta
Region: California
Posts: 43
Thought I saw a post or 100 about MGW shifters around here. Search is your friend. Check em out.


Deep Impact Blue 2014.5 GT Premium
3:73 Axle
Brembo Brakes
'12 Shelby Axle Back Exhaust
Trackey
Boss 302 Side Exhaust w/QTP cut-outs
MGW Race Spec Shifter
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearsky View Post
Thought I saw a post or 100 about MGW shifters around here. Search is your friend. Check em out.


Deep Impact Blue 2014.5 GT Premium
3:73 Axle
Brembo Brakes
'12 Shelby Axle Back Exhaust
Trackey
Boss 302 Side Exhaust w/QTP cut-outs
MGW Race Spec Shifter

You should check out the search function for "you don't have to be a jerk". I'll admit there are a ton of threads on this right now but no need to be a jerk about it.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh14GT View Post
I am interested in a new short throw shifter as well, based on feedback I have seen barton is pretty popular and I have also heard that even though the Ford racing one is a little more pricey it is well worth the price.

The Barton and ford racing are the same except the ford racing comes with a shift ball and shift boot retainer nut. Most will tell you get the Barton over ford racing, it's just personal preference man. If you like that setup you should pull the trigger.

The MGW is a serious unit. Replaces everything. Lots of people are talking these up. They are pretty sweet.

I wouldn't consider any other shifter than the three listed above. I personally have the Ford racing. It was my style.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425013591.204460.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	176257

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425013609.644548.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	176258

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425013623.867998.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	176259
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Clearsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Murrieta
Region: California
Posts: 43
Fair enough, sorry about that. Really check out MGW's website. Good stuff.


Deep Impact Blue 2014.5 GT Premium
3:73 Axle
Brembo Brakes
'12 Shelby Axle Back Exhaust
Trackey
Boss 302 Side Exhaust w/QTP cut-outs
MGW Race Spec Shifter
Clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hampton Bays
Region: New York
Posts: 9
Yeah man even though ford is more expensive I might go with them over Barton
volcomstone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hampton Bays
Region: New York
Posts: 9
Lmao why'd you even click on my thread if it was such a problem for you then
volcomstone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Martinsburg
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 323
MGW replaces the entire shift box. Nothing else on the market is in the same class.
__________________
2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomstone24 View Post
Yeah man even though ford is more expensive I might go with them over Barton

I love mine. Worth every penny. It was my first mod. Car had 975 miles on it. I was actually starting to regret buying the car because I hated the shifter so much. So glad I did it. I'm sure the MGW is bad to the bone too. I didn't have knowledge of it before buying my FRPP short shifter but the MGW throw isn't as short as the Barton and FRPP. I tend to like the shorter throw. So I think it would still be my choice if I could do it over again.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
rockhillgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: rock hill
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 344
MGW or bust
__________________

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hampton Bays
Region: New York
Posts: 9
Hey man is the ford racing shifter louder then the stock one?
volcomstone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hampton Bays
Region: New York
Posts: 9
Is the mgw shifter louder then stock?
volcomstone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomstone24 View Post
Hey man is the ford racing shifter louder then the stock one?

Any performance shifter you get will be louder than the stock one. That's why the stock one is so terrible. It's got all sorts of rubber sound dampening that effects it's accuracy and drive ability. Now, I personally had a hard time noticing much noise. It's there, if you put your hand on the ball ect. But these aren't Cadillacs. It's a damn muscle car. I personally enjoy hearing my car over silence. I think some people who complain about the sound being unbearable have not re-installed the rubber boot over the shifter correctly. You will also notice any sound it makes less and less the louder you make your exhaust. Don't let a little noise keep you from pulling the trigger man
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,140
There is also the Steeda Tri Ax which has had tremendous successes on & off the track:

Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Short Throw Shifter Kit - Made in USA 555-7313 - Free Shipping!



Installing a Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter - Mustang Monthly Magazine

Let me know if I can help assist with anything ... they are both great shifters ... it just comes down to personal preference. You can't go wrong either way.

Best Regards,

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
69mach1390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Winston Salem
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 68
Mgw


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
69mach1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coyote2820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Claremore
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
The Barton and ford racing are the same except the ford racing comes with a shift ball and shift boot retainer nut. Most will tell you get the Barton over ford racing, it's just personal preference man. If you like that setup you should pull the trigger.

The MGW is a serious unit. Replaces everything. Lots of people are talking these up. They are pretty sweet.

I wouldn't consider any other shifter than the three listed above. I personally have the Ford racing. It was my style.

Attachment 176257

Attachment 176258

Attachment 176259


I've read that the Barton and the FRPP are the exact same product; like maybe Barton makes the shifter for Ford. Anyone know what the deal is there? I was thinking FRPP but if it's the exact same as the Barton then I'll go the cheaper route because no one will see the cool blue base of the shifter and I don't need the ball.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
There is also the Steeda Tri Ax which has had tremendous successes on & off the track:

Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Short Throw Shifter Kit - Made in USA 555-7313 - Free Shipping!



Installing a Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter - Mustang Monthly Magazine

Let me know if I can help assist with anything ... they are both great shifters ... it just comes down to personal preference. You can't go wrong either way.

Best Regards,

TJ

TJ,
I posted a thread recently about the Steeda option but I had minimal feedback; I'm just curious as to how it matches up?
__________________
2014 5.0 GT Premium - Active Duty
2013 5.0 GT - Retired
2003 GT - Retired
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Short throw shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
I've read that the Barton and the FRPP are the exact same product; like maybe Barton makes the shifter for Ford. Anyone know what the deal is there? I was thinking FRPP but if it's the exact same as the Barton then I'll go the cheaper route because no one will see the cool blue base of the shifter and I don't need the ball.





TJ,
I posted a thread recently about the Steeda option but I had minimal feedback; I'm just curious as to how it matches up?

Yes it's made by Barton. They are the same minus the awesome blue you can't ever see.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: League City
Region: Texas
Posts: 392
Do yourself a favor. Check out MGW's website and check out there new and improved race spec shifter. It's night and day better than any other shifter on the market. And I'm not saying this to be mean. I ask questions on a daily basis that people have already asked. But honestly do a search on here about shifters. There are dozens upon dozens of long drawn out discussions, arguments, opinions, pros and cons about every shifter and your options regarding shifters. Good luck man.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hurst billet shifter plus two or Barton short throw shifter?? hdez41 2011-2014 Mustang GT 25 01-26-2015 10:01 PM
shifter knob and short throw shifter help blue-saleen Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 7 05-19-2009 08:52 PM
Anyone with a short throw shifter? PureVenom The Bar 1 08-24-2004 12:12 PM
How To Install A Mac Short Throw Shifter STEVE Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 05-10-2004 06:44 PM
Hurst short throw shifter Blue232 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 10-12-2003 12:07 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:47 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.