Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Just need some info on a shifting issue

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  bazinga11 
#1 ·
I know the MT82 is junk an needs some mods. Since ive tuned my car the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd has a little more grind to it. Is that because theirs more power now? Its only that gear change. I know i need to change the shifter since its junk stock. Just need to know if that grind is common

#6 ·
The MGW will only hide the real problem that causes this, and as soon as you take a hard corner on good tires, even with the MGW, you will still get locked out of gears (ask me how I know).
Save some money, solve the actual problem, and buy the transmission rear mount bushing insert from Vorshlag, and pick up the Blowfish Racing shifter bracket/ driveshaft loop. This is a great transmission, Ford just has no desire to design a proper bushing for anything on this car, or a proper shifter mount.

#9 ·
It is the Whiteline KDT928. It can be found by going to Vorshlag.com, Products, Ford, S197, Bushings, Positive Shift Kit. For $31, it solves a lot of problems. The reason that I mention the Blowfish bracket is that some people have had good results going with that also.

#10 ·
For the blocking issue motor mounts made the biggest improvement in my V6. I imagine they would improve a tuned V8 even more. The mounts and learning the tight gates were the two best things for mine and I've done lots of the recommended "fixes"

#15 ·
Yeah it does.

For $25, MGW will sell you a steel bushing that inserts in the end of the torque arm attaching the factory shifter or a Gen 1 MGW to the transmission. It will significantly increase the resistance to those left-turn lockouts the factory setup sometimes gives. Absolutely zero NVH impact with this. It's abit of a pain in the ass to install but, is possible to do trans in car.

#17 · (Edited)
Apparently a good heavy shifter knob (~500 grams, check flossy) will do wonders with regards to notchiness and giving you buttery smooth shifts. A heavy weight on top of a lever is supposed to increase momentum of your shifts. Google it for science behind it lol too much too type.

A friend of mine installed it on top of his MGW gen 2, and according to him its been his best mod ever.. Such a night and day difference with how his mt-82 is shifting now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.