Burning smell coming from engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Burning smell coming from engine

So this is weird. I drove for about 3-4 hours straight yesterday and for about two today (and it rained pretty heavily) and when I stopped when I got to where I was going I noticed a burning smell outside the front of the car. I popped the hood and smelled around and seems to be coming from the right side of the engine. Nothing is visibly different or out of the ordinary. Not sure what this could mean and it's almost if it's a strong smell from something being overly hot not necessarily something burning. Let me know if anyone has any ideas. It's going into ford this week for an oil change anyways so let's hope it won't be anything more than that when I bring it in. Thanks

Edit: I'm 99% sure it's not the clutch, lol I know I wasn't burning any clutch

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

How many miles on the car? We're you driving it hard? Auto or manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If it's a manual it could have been the clutch. Did you slip the clutch a little while you were parking it?

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Also when you say right, in reference to the car or to you facing it? Passenger or driver's side?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
How many miles on the car? We're you driving it hard? Auto or manual?

34k miles it's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
If it's a manual it could have been the clutch. Did you slip the clutch a little while you were parking it?

Definitely was not the clutch. I got this smell after driving my car thru the rain for 2 hours than drove it twice for around 15 20 mins and still got the smell when I popped the hood again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Also when you say right, in reference to the car or to you facing it? Passenger or driver's side?

When looking at the engine from outside the car it's on the right. Sorry for not specifying.

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/upper and lower Billet grill/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Chances are if you aren't seeing any smoke, it's not running poorly or giving any warning lights, you just got a glob of road grime onto the header down there. they are fairly low down in the engine bay.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Chances are if you aren't seeing any smoke, it's not running poorly or giving any warning lights, you just got a glob of road grime onto the header down there. they are fairly low down in the engine bay.

That would make me feel a lot better lol. The smell could defiantly be something like that.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
...have enough oil...jus' askin'
2014 V6, Oxford White, Auto, 3.31, AirRaid CAI, MBRP axleback, 18" Motegi Black MR118, Cooper RS3-S's, MPT 93/Perf/Race[Ghost Cam], Steeda Ultra springs, B&R Panhard Bar, Ford Racing strut brace, BMR LCAs, JLT Oil Separator, Kicker 12'' Sealed Sub/300wt. amp, Formula1 70% tint[+windshield]
blowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowa View Post
...have enough oil...jus' askin'

I checked lol

Old 03-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE: I drove it for about 15 mins just now to a buddy's house and I checked when I got there and the smell is still there, but it's faint. I kept it under 4k rpms the whole time

Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Road tar on the exhaust would be my guess.

litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
UPDATE: I drove it for about 15 mins just now to a buddy's house and I checked when I got there and the smell is still there, but it's faint. I kept it under 4k rpms the whole time

Just keep driving it burning smells do two things: they either go away or get worse which usually aids you in finding the source. Just have a fire extinguisher handy!

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Just keep driving it burning smells do two things: they either go away or get worse which usually aids you in finding the source. Just have a fire extinguisher handy!

Great lol

Old 03-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Mine does the same thing but since I'm not having any problems I'm not that concerned. I only seem to get it when I've driven for a while though. Don't forget that the hood vents are gonna let more smell out than a regular hood. Mine only has 8k miles on it so I figured that it would go away after a while. I guess the next time I'm under the car I will inspect the headers and exhaust to see if anything is on them.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just drove 5 miles and got on it this time up to 80 miles an hour. I stopped right after and noticed it strongly. So I have no idea 😳

Old 03-03-2015, 02:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Keep an eye on your exhaust. Make sure no smoke is coming out.

I hope it's not like what happened to mine and just burning road tar.

silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's a common problem because I can smell something like hot metal even in the car when I'm on it hard.

2011 Kona blue GT.
kona stang707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Kona, do you have a new car? If so, it's probably the cats. It's fine.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

No it's a 2011 with 54,000 miles I'm gonna get rid of the cats hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

2011 Kona blue GT.
kona stang707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Been driving a lot still the past two days... Nothing wrong yet. Still smell it a little maybe I'm over reacting. I'm going to get my oil changed and have them take a look

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Old 03-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've noticed a hot oil smell after my last oil change. Didn't notice it prior or with the previous oil change. Have you had your oil changed recently? My theory is that somehow oil finds it's way to something hot when you remove the filter (my smell also seemed associated with the driver's side). As yet I've not been able to figure out exactly what is going on, and I'm pretty careful about cleaning up the undercarriage after a change. There has been no drop in oil level and I even put the car back up ramps and drop the access panel to inspect - finding nothing. It seems to be fading away with more miles since the last change though.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Cats burning is more of a....for lack of better term, poop smell lol. Does is smell like poop/waste? Or just burning metal?

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I noticed a strong smell coming from my drivers side when I popped the hood last week. Took it in to the dealer to get it checked out and they had to order the vent on top of the MT82. Going in to get it replaced tomorrow morning, had to wait a week for it to come in. Just a suggestion...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2010GBGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Cats burning is more of a....for lack of better term, poop smell lol. Does is smell like poop/waste? Or just burning metal?

Just a light burn smell almost like the faint smell of oil but like i said just got a oil change today w/ a full inspection and it checked out fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010GBGT View Post
I noticed a strong smell coming from my drivers side when I popped the hood last week. Took it in to the dealer to get it checked out and they had to order the vent on top of the MT82. Going in to get it replaced tomorrow morning, had to wait a week for it to come in. Just a suggestion...

What was wrong the your MT82?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I've noticed a hot oil smell after my last oil change. Didn't notice it prior or with the previous oil change. Have you had your oil changed recently? My theory is that somehow oil finds it's way to something hot when you remove the filter (my smell also seemed associated with the driver's side). As yet I've not been able to figure out exactly what is going on, and I'm pretty careful about cleaning up the undercarriage after a change. There has been no drop in oil level and I even put the car back up ramps and drop the access panel to inspect - finding nothing. It seems to be fading away with more miles since the last change though.

Just had my oil changed today

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

The vent went bad and started slowly leaking trans fluid which was burning off. Trans shifted fine and still does. Just didn't like the smell and it wasn't normal so I brought it in. Apparently the vent is plastic and a common thing after doing a little research.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010GBGT View Post
The vent went bad and started slowly leaking trans fluid which was burning off. Trans shifted fine and still does. Just didn't like the smell and it wasn't normal so I brought it in. Apparently the vent is plastic and a common thing after doing a little research.

Hmm...where is the vent do you know??

Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

It's on the top of the transmission. I just googled a pic of the MT82 and you can see it. It's a tube with cap on top, cheap and plastic from what I could tell. I'd make an appointment with your dealer to get it checked out to be safe. Can't hurt.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Alright I'll be in contact with ford. Does anyone experienced engine noise after an oil change? I feel like my 5.0 is getting the tick..... And I feel like I can hear it for a few hundred miles after the past 2 oil changes. It goes away slowly.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
People that are referring to the cats, that is more of an egg-type smell usually.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT