Rear lower control arm upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Rear lower control arm upgrade

I have a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L with 6 speed manual transmission. Because of the high H.P. engine I have been experiencing "wheel hops" at quick starts. I was suggested to upgrade to a better then factory rear lower control arms.

I was considering ordering the BMR Rear Lower Control Arms - Poly Bushings $139.99 or the BBK Rear Lower Control Arms from American Mustle.
Am I on the right track ?? Any suggestions, opinions positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.
jgreen523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What are your intentions for the car? Yes you are on the right track, if you are lowered you may want to pick up some relocation brackets. Also I would consider doing the upper control arm to completely eliminate wheel hop.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I added Bobs lca and my hop went away. I have not seen a need for an uca yet.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for your input. I'm also considering the Barton shifter w2 posts bracket. Do you think thiswould be a huge upgrade from my factory shifter ?? Also, "American Muscle" tells me that I should get the shifter base gasket for $16.99 as well. Do you think it's necessary to do that ?? Did you get the gasket also ??
Old 03-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I actually just did the install a couple days ago. Yes this shifter makes a huge difference between the stock shifter. It may be one of the favorite things I've done to the car so far because it makes the car more enjoyable to drive. I did not need the gasket, and I did the install on jack stands.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks much for your info. I'm going with the purchase and install. soon myself. Did you get yours at American Muscle ??
Old 03-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I fid

Old 03-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
My two cents: Upgrade the LCA's with relo bracket and see how it feels. The UCA can cause some added NVH that many people don't enjoy. If you're not tracking the car the springs, LCA's and a good set of shocks/struts should make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2013 Mustang GT Fastlane Stage 3 Race Red-Matte Black GT 500 Stripes-2.3 Whipple-20" TF Chicanes-R888's-Brembos-Slotted/Drilled-Custom Katskin interior-Suspension and other goodies...603/498 http://youtu.be/wa73L4lF3Ws
Fastlane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #9

Region: Michigan
Lower Control Arms

I have a 2014 GT 6 speed. I ordered the Brembo Brake Package which includes an upgrade to the Shelby GT500 lower control arms. I don't have a wheel hop issue. You might want to take a look at those. Also take a look at American Muscle SUSPENSION 101 PART 1: MUSTANG SUSPENSION COMPONENTS on their site. It is a good article to understand all the components and their interactions.
lbechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #10

Region: Connecticut
I have a 2013 GT with track package and the wheel hop was horrible. I ended up with Steeda ChromeMoly LCAs which cure the wheel hop in nearly all situations.

2013 Roush Stage 1
DIB
Roush Axle backs
Steeda LCA
Track package
JakJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have a 2013 track pack. It's sitting on Eibach Sportline lowering springs. I also have a Whiteline adjustable panhard bar..

I will be ordering BMR lower control arms along with the relocation brackets. I also will be ordering the BMR adjustable upper control arm.
Do I need to order the upper control arm mount that holds the arm .. or is the stock good enough??

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.

Black 2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Premium, Glass Roof, Navigation
Borla S-Type Axel back, H Pipe, Drop in K&N filter
cnadz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yes you need to order the mount as well.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Yes you need to order the mount as well.

Thanks Grabber !

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.

Black 2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Premium, Glass Roof, Navigation
Old 03-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbechard View Post
I have a 2014 GT 6 speed. I ordered the Brembo Brake Package which includes an upgrade to the Shelby GT500 lower control arms. I don't have a wheel hop issue. You might want to take a look at those. Also take a look at American Muscle SUSPENSION 101 PART 1: MUSTANG SUSPENSION COMPONENTS on their site. It is a good article to understand all the components and their interactions.
I have a 2014 GT Premium with 3.73s and Brembos which has the GT 500 LCA, and my wheel hope is very bad. I went with the BMR Lca's, wheel hop gone.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Have you noticed more road noise from the rear axle, and if you had gear whine - it will be much more pronounced so some people noticed ???
Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not lowered, and I'm not planning on taking the car to the strip or dragging. Strictly driving on the road and occasionally hitting it for fun.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen523 View Post
Have you noticed more road noise from the rear axle, and if you had gear whine - it will be much more pronounced so some people noticed ???
If you keep the bushings greased the noise is minimal, remember these are poly bushings and not soft rubber. I don't have any "gear whine". The firmness is really great and you can feel the improved "digging in" on hard launches with wheel hop virtually gone, not too mention the over all handling is better. If you are not lowering your car then you don't need the relocation brackets IMO. You stated you are strictly driving it on the road with occasional digs and rolls or hitting it as you call it, then you will be very satisfied. FYI, I also bought the Barton shifter and 2 post bracket and didn't need a new gasket, you can really bang the gears with confidence. Good luck
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Yes most of us with LCA's will and DO hear more road noise because of the stiffer bushings. I have talked to a few hand fulls of guys at the track, street get-togethers, and on here, 99% will tell you yes they did notice a gear whine. Some how you get someone say no they didn't hear anything but just plan on hearing it and you wont freak out. I don't even notice it anymore.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
Yes most of us with LCA's will and DO hear more road noise because of the stiffer bushings. I have talked to a few hand fulls of guys at the track, street get-togethers, and on here, 99% will tell you yes they did notice a gear whine. Some how you get someone say no they didn't hear anything but just plan on hearing it and you wont freak out. I don't even notice it anymore.
I don't hear any gear whine Grabber, sorry about that. I keep my bushings well greased and I have roush axle backs which are probably helping mask the noise, but I don't hear any whine. The road noise is at a minimal and not nearly as loud as people make it out to be. Mine is 2014 GT Premium so maybe its not as noticeable as the earlier models, I don't know..
Old 03-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input guys. for no more wheel hop and better traction it is not a bad trade off to get some excess noise. I have a set of Roush mufflers on my car too that may minimize the added noise.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have a Roush upper control arm, and gt500 lowers. And my car squats and goes. I'd highly recommend the Roush upper.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. for no more wheel hop and better traction it is not a bad trade off to get some excess noise. I have a set of Roush mufflers on my car too that may minimize the added noise.
Wheel hop is a pita. Like I said before, I have the Brembo's which gives me the GT500 lca and I had very bad wheel hop. Since the BMRs I haven't felt it anymore, good luck with yours.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I have the Roush lower control arms because I don't like NVH and having to re-grease poly bushings on a daily driver.

Mustang Lower Control Arms, Rear (2005-2014)

They replaced my Ford Racing/GT500 LCA's.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstate777 View Post
I have the Roush lower control arms because I don't like NVH and having to re-grease poly bushings on a daily driver.

Mustang Lower Control Arms, Rear (2005-2014)

They replaced my Ford Racing/GT500 LCA's.
Those look similar to the GT500 lca except they are a whole lot more beefier and a lot more spendy but they still have the rubber bushings. I can see why you wouldn't get any NVH with them. Do they stop wheel hop? I agree about greasing my BMRs but I do it with an oil change, takes a few seconds.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I'm not having any wheel hop issues, the Roush billet LCA has stiffer durometer bushings than my former GT500 LCA did. They handle my Roush phase 2 supercharger with ease and work together with my Roush rubber bushed upper control arm:

3rd Link Wheel Hop Reduction Kit for Mustang (2011-2014)

They are spendy parts for sure, but they get the job done quietly and efficiently for my street application. If I was running a track/race setup, then I would go with the poly and/or spherical suspension parts. I’m glad to see that Mustang owners have several suspension options to choose from.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yap, I too am glad the Mustang has so many options for suspension and everything else. It's a modders dream. lol
Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I am looking to install BMR LCA's along with BMR relo brackets and the adjustable UCA... I've also heard that the BMR UCA mount bracket is needed as if you install it with the stock mount it'll clunk. Is this all I will need to finalize my suspension upgrade to eliminate wheelhop? Oh I am also lowered on eibach sportlines. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Just got done installing the BMR LCA's. The results were better than expected. 99% of the "wheel hop" is gone. Highly recommend BNR's LCA's
Old 04-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
I have a 2014 GT Premium with 3.73s and Brembos which has the GT 500 LCA, and my wheel hope is very bad. I went with the BMR Lca's, wheel hop gone.
Unless you or someone added the GT500 LCA's, the TrakPak, Brembo Brake optioned 14 did not come with them. I've done two of these cars mine included, and they did have the GT500 LCA's from the factory.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
+1 on BMR LCA/UCA and both brackets. I also have track pack parts, er had.

Piloting a '13 GT with track, frpp handling, glass, mgw, bmr and sct
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

With my BMR rear lower control arms installed I still have a little wheel hop. Would adjustable lower control arm bracket would help some more with reducing wheel hop ??
Old 05-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
With my BMR rear lower control arms installed I still have a little wheel hop. Would adjustable lower control arm bracket would help some more with reducing wheel hop ??

Restate that question please.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Upper will help eliminate hop. Brackets will help dial in your anti squat. Get an adjustable upper AND the upper mount and do both at once. You can do both easy in less than an hour on stands.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Having BMR rear lower control arms installed I still have a little wheel hop. Would the BMR adjustable lower control arm brackets help reduce wheel hop?? I am not planning on lowering the car, or racing it. Just for street fun if I get challenged.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Changing the pinion angle of any car with 3 or 4 link will help wheel hop/tire shudder. In a 2 piece drive line you need to be aware of the number of U joints and their operational angles......Also changing the angle of the LCA's will aid in reduced hop/tire shudder. Maybe using relocation brackets for the LCA's at the axle housing would also help.
When I put my adjustable LCA's in, I gave them a little pre-load. With the stock GT500 UCA/bushing I had no tire shudder and with the 1 piece driveline and Whiteline adjustable UCA it hooks hard for having the Eagle F1's, as they are 1.5" wider tread width than my old Pirelli Zero's.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT