Smoke out tail pipes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Smoke out tail pipes?

Anyone get a puff of smoke out the tail pipes when you start your car sometimes? This is the first time I've seen it. Also the first time I've started it this week. It was only on the initial startup for about 3 seconds.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
What color is the smoke, white, grey or black?
Is this just the first time you've noticed it or have you looked and seen nothing before?
I would say it would be normal to see white smoke, which would be from condensation. Blue/Grey/Black would be oil.
If you are worried, take the plugs out and look at them, or if you have or know someone who has a leakdown tester that would give the best indication of what is going on inside the motor.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Might have been white or light blue. First time ever seeing it. I have only 10800 miles on the car.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've seen it on my fiancee's 2007 Mustang GT that only has 17,000 miles on it but I first noticed it when the car had a lot less miles on it. I really didn't notice it anymore after I installed a catch can but the last time she started it when I was outside, I did see some blue smoke. Of course the can she is currently running leaves quite a bit of oil in the exit hose on the can so I'm assuming it may be because there is still a lot of oil getting into the intake.

When I first inquired about this a few years ago, people on the various Mustang forums said it was because oil was getting into the intake and that I needed an oil catch can to prevent this from happening and is why I installed one on her car.

You just started using a catch can on your car haven't you?

Wayne
Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I'm using the UPR can. The can has just a little oil in the bottom. Checked my oil level and I'm full and nice and clear.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I was searching on the net and some guys said its a ford thing to puff smoke. From what I read when you start your car for a very short time and then park it the next time you start it, it will smoke. Make sense to because that's what I did. I pulled it out of the drive way to move another car in to work on it then put it back in the garage and a week later I started it and PUFF.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I've never really noticed that other than the time with my first 5.0 where I left fuel stabilizer in it till the next season and when I started it, she smoked something scary (first time using). Other than that, it is hard to tell as most of the time, it is cold here in South Dakota other than like 4 months. During those 4 months, I'm pretty sure it doesn't smoke. If there is anything, it is condensation in the exhaust and maybe some vaporizing of existing condensation in the exhaust system, but that's just a guess. It's not a head gasket issue, so it's ok to me.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Could be a Coyote thing. I've put some hard miles on my 14 and although it has less than 7k miles no smoke yet.
My Ford DOHC 4.6 only started puffing smoke after putting 12lbs boost to it..........and broke a ring land, drove it 180 miles home from SIR and used almost 2 quarts of oil.
My Ford 408 race motor only smoked on the dyno break-in, then even after sitting for months it never puffed any smoke.
Just keep an eye on it, especially if you are going to put some sticky tires on it and head to the strip.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Region: Michigan
If you start the car and only let it run a few minutes and shut it off sir only a few minutes it will discharge a puff of smoke on restart because the car was running fuel rich when shut off and then fuel rich on restart.
The puff us the result of an overlybrichbrestart.
Mid you have no loss of oil this is most likely the cause.
Nothing to worry about
Jakkbeyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've had a couple partially failed starts lead to a massive cloud and rough running as the big slug of fuel works its way out of the engine. That'll get your attention. Make sure you don't release the key until it's actually started.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #11

Region: Georgia
I Agree its most likely Condensation especially if its white and only last 3 seconds on the initial startup if the oil is nice and clear and you aren't having anything else out of the ordinary going on with the car.
2011 5.0/ Air Raid cool air induction/Steeda Springs front and back/ Tokico D-Spec Adjustable front and back/Ford Racing 3.31 gears and Differential/ Off road X pipe with Ford GT 500 axle back mufflers. Mike Rousch/Mid Atlantic Performance Tuned Program.
CassiusClay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT