Best shocks for DD purposes: lowered cars - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Best shocks for DD purposes: lowered cars

Anyone know what the best DD shocks and struts are? Of course that isn't stock. Looks like my left one gave up while using ford k springs.

Any recommendations? I was going to get ford racing shocks aince it matches my springs but I heard its a rough rough ride. FYI I got my springs for free as a gift so that's why I have them on my car

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
They're not that rough, but again that's just a personal opinion and they vary from person to person. I think it is more about the spring rates than the struts. If you got the ford racing adjustable shocks, that would probably suit your needs; however, many get by with koni orange shocks, or if you want the adjustability, the koni yellows. There are other brands out there that would likely work ok as well because they all sound like they're on the softer side of things as opposed to coilovers and such.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I second the Koni oranges. Good replacement/slight upgrade.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

Region: Georgia
I have a 2011 GT that is lowered with springs and I use Tokico D-Spec adjustable struts on mine its a great ride, I also use it for a daily driver.
CassiusClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You think there's any difference with my ford k springs

Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvibe92 View Post
You think there's any difference with my ford k springs

Those are the 1" drop springs right? I had those with the adjustable ford struts on my first 5.0. They were fine. I did have some clanking and whatnot somewhere in the setup however. Not likely it was due to the strut/spring combo necessarily though.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I would go with a set of the Koni Yellows, just so that you can get the car set as soft or stiff as you prefer (they are typically rebound adjustable only, no compression adjustment).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No k springs are the 1.5 inch drop

Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anyone know what the best DD shocks and struts are? Of course that isn't stock. Looks like my left one gave up while using ford k springs.

Any recommendations? I was going to get ford racing shocks aince it matches my springs but I heard its a rough rough ride. FYI I got my springs for free as a gift so that's why I have them on my car

What do you want your ride to be like? The springs are going to cause the ride to be rough no matter what. Do not get the Koni FSD's they are not for lowered applications. I got the Koni STR.T's for myself, I'll be putting them on tomorrow. I would recommend the Koni, or Billstein HD's if you want to have a damper that is valved somewhat nicely for the spring rate you have.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I want a smooth, firm ride. I most DD but I wanted the lowered look. Needed it bad. I drag maybe 10 times a year. Maybe more. So in essence I just want to get rid of some of the horrid bouncing and clanking I'm getting with these plus stock struts and shocks.

Everyone says to get adjustable so I can have best of both worlds. So I should get koni yellows? For 05-10 or 11-14?

Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I want a smooth, firm ride. I most DD but I wanted the lowered look. Needed it bad. I drag maybe 10 times a year. Maybe more. So in essence I just want to get rid of some of the horrid bouncing and clanking I'm getting with these plus stock struts and shocks.

Everyone says to get adjustable so I can have best of both worlds. So I should get koni yellows? For 05-10 or 11-14?

Yellows only allow you to adjust rebound. So you are really limited with how your adjustments make a difference. Before the mustang I had a Volvo C70 that had koni yellows and a 1.75" drop. I did not like that setup and wont be running yellows with such little suspension travel + stiff spring rate again.

I would really recommend Bilstein HD's, they will be about as stiff as the yellows on at about 50% stiff. I had them on my old car before the yellows and I feel they were a better match for the springs I had.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Strange adjustable shocks/struts.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Look at QA1 struts & shocks?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
Yellows only allow you to adjust rebound. So you are really limited with how your adjustments make a difference. Before the mustang I had a Volvo C70 that had koni yellows and a 1.75" drop. I did not like that setup and wont be running yellows with such little suspension travel + stiff spring rate again.

I would really recommend Bilstein HD's, they will be about as stiff as the yellows on at about 50% stiff. I had them on my old car before the yellows and I feel they were a better match for the springs I had.
Unfortunately, you have completely missed a critical point in that statement. The C70 already started with reasonable springs for it's ride height, and was not hugely high off the ground to start with. The mustang, even the "track pack" cars, is woefully undersprung, and the only reason that it does not hit ground during any major dynamic maneuver is that Ford used an insane amount of compression damping to slow things down. Even on the lowering springs, the mustang will still have miles of suspension travel, just due to how heavy the car is compared to the spring rate (the performance springs for this car are still roughly half the rate of comparable performance cars, and that is taking into account motion ratios and effective force placed on spring). None of the low priced shocks and struts for this chassis allow for separate rebound and compression damping, but they will either do a single adjustment that scales both up (never a good choice, damping will be wrong unless your car is identical to the one they designed for, which it is not), or compression constant and rebound adjustable (the better option, as you can't turn the shock up so far that you punch the shock through the tower, or down so far that the car slams into the bumpstops for no good reason).
I daily on my Yellows (front set to 1.5 turns above full soft, rear set to 0.5 turns above soft), and it is a very smooth ride, honestly, smoother than the factory ride (and no more of the see-saw that it would do on OEM parts over continuous lumps on the interstates around here). Go with the 11-14 unless you want to make a spacer to allow an 11-14 strut mount to fit.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just wondering if I need to upgrade my shocks/struts since the car only has 3.5k miles on it.. Putting SR lowering springs on next week to drop it 1.5"

canesfan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
from what I read you don't need to but it is strongly recommended. I'm of the do it once/right school.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Steeda struts/shocks n theyre cheap

Jicenroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
Unfortunately, you have completely missed a critical point in that statement. The C70 already started with reasonable springs for it's ride height, and was not hugely high off the ground to start with. The mustang, even the "track pack" cars, is woefully undersprung, and the only reason that it does not hit ground during any major dynamic maneuver is that Ford used an insane amount of compression damping to slow things down. Even on the lowering springs, the mustang will still have miles of suspension travel, just due to how heavy the car is compared to the spring rate (the performance springs for this car are still roughly half the rate of comparable performance cars, and that is taking into account motion ratios and effective force placed on spring). None of the low priced shocks and struts for this chassis allow for separate rebound and compression damping, but they will either do a single adjustment that scales both up (never a good choice, damping will be wrong unless your car is identical to the one they designed for, which it is not), or compression constant and rebound adjustable (the better option, as you can't turn the shock up so far that you punch the shock through the tower, or down so far that the car slams into the bumpstops for no good reason).
I daily on my Yellows (front set to 1.5 turns above full soft, rear set to 0.5 turns above soft), and it is a very smooth ride, honestly, smoother than the factory ride (and no more of the see-saw that it would do on OEM parts over continuous lumps on the interstates around here). Go with the 11-14 unless you want to make a spacer to allow an 11-14 strut mount to fit.
You made my point. The c70 had a stiffer spring rate. The yellows at any setting did not work well, that was more a result of the amount lowered. Still having the illusion of adjustability with the yellows does not make them the best choice.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I get so many conflicting arguments. Some say it's runs smooth on yellows and some say it does nothing -__-

Old 03-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so I get so many conflicting arguments. Some say it's runs smooth on yellows and some say it does nothing -__-

There in lies the issue. We can all tell you what works for us. But this is your car and what works for us might not for you. I personally think koni yellows dampen too much at all settings on springs stiffer than yours.

Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

By dampen too much on all settings you mean? I think my springs are 180 something up front and up to 200 on back

Old 03-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
By dampen too much on all settings you mean? I think my springs are 180 something up front and up to 200 on back

Dampers resist spring movement. With an aftermarket performance shock you won't have the bouncy ride you would with stiffer springs on stock shocks. Instead you'll have one that is more smooth but jarring over a high velocity bump when too much rebound dampening is used.

You will want to find the right balance for you. The koni yellows only allow rebound adjustment, which is only half the story. And not worth it.

Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Smooth but jarring. For some reason that feels conflicting to me. The highways here are pretty well. It's just the street driving under 45 that's a killer

Old 03-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Smooth but jarring. For some reason that feels conflicting to me. The highways here are pretty well. It's just the street driving under 45 that's a killer

The ride will be smoother until you hit a bump going more than 15-30mph it will react quickly and jarringly then an scenario with less dampening.

Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Any bump or major bumps? I got some opinions from car groups here in Houston and everyone runs koni yellows and haven't had any issues. I thinking imma pull the trigger regardless on these due to price and how smooth they 'should' be. I always go slow over bumps or avoid them. I'm so used to it.

Gt500 strut mount and 05-10 konis are the ideal setup?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

by the way, do you think putting on adjustable rear shocks with the stock struts for the time being would be detrimental or just pointless? I want to order the rears now and then 05-10 struts with gt500 mounts after (maybe a weeks time or 2). Gotta save up money cause ill need an alignment as well. right now I get violent rear noises over any bump. the front is pretty decent, but the rear hurts my spine
Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any bump or major bumps? I got some opinions from car groups here in Houston and everyone runs koni yellows and haven't had any issues. I thinking imma pull the trigger regardless on these due to price and how smooth they 'should' be. I always go slow over bumps or avoid them. I'm so used to it.

Gt500 strut mount and 05-10 konis are the ideal setup?

Go for it then. If you feel like koni yellows are for you then put them on and find out. But you're not really going to ever adjust then past the initial setup. Most people set and forget them. Then thier adjustability is pointless. Also to change the rear shock settings you have to take them off the car. Instead of the hassle to you could get a good set of non adjustable shocks and be done with it.

Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

you dont have to take them off. you can adjust from the top of the shock
Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Go for it then. If you feel like koni yellows are for you then put them on and find out. But you're not really going to ever adjust then past the initial setup. Most people set and forget them. Then thier adjustability is pointless. Also to change the rear shock settings you have to take them off the car. Instead of the hassle to you could get a good set of non adjustable shocks and be done with it.

This is what I suggest for a DD as well. That's why the Koni oranges for the bill perfectly. I have SR's with koni oranges all around. Slightly stiffer than stock (but not jarring over bumps, and I expected this) but not to the point where it becomes annoying to daily. IMO it's a perfect basic upgrade. No body roll, no nose/brake dive. And like strange mud, I'm also of the mind to do it once, do it right. I changed out my suspension at 3.5k and haven't looked back.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Dampers resist spring movement. With an aftermarket performance shock you won't have the bouncy ride you would with stiffer springs on stock shocks. Instead you'll have one that is more smooth but jarring over a high velocity bump when too much rebound dampening is used.

You will want to find the right balance for you. The koni yellows only allow rebound adjustment, which is only half the story. And not worth it.

Why would have take them off to adjust? That makes no sense. If you decide to autox on a weekend, my may want stiffer in the rear, or if you go to the strip, you may want them softer in the rear.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Why would have take them off to adjust? That makes no sense. If you decide to autox on a weekend, my may want stiffer in the rear, or if you go to the strip, you may want them softer in the rear.
When I had yellows on my volvo there was no tab to adjust the rear shocks. After googling you're right it looks like the yellows for the Mustang have a tab for the rear.

Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it's in the trunk area. Real easy to do

Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
When I had yellows on my volvo there was no tab to adjust the rear shocks. After googling you're right it looks like the yellows for the Mustang have a tab for the rear.

Oh ok, I never knew about other adjustability layouts like that.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
good stuff in here. i am trying to find shocks and struts for my sportlines. i dont like the quick bouce i am getting on dips in the road with the stock shocks. this is how i purchased the car. sportlines and stock shocks and struts 14 GT.
DAJOKER07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJOKER07 View Post
good stuff in here. i am trying to find shocks and struts for my sportlines. i dont like the quick bouce i am getting on dips in the road with the stock shocks. this is how i purchased the car. sportlines and stock shocks and struts 14 GT.
I've had the steeda sports and the koni str combo on and drove most of the day today. Without a doubt the koni str's are perfect. The ride is stiffer but not crazy. And they are much less then the yellows.

Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT