Losing power? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Losing power?

Hello guys,

First off, I did a few searches and couldnt come up with an answer....

I just bought a 2013 GT Premium 6 speed a few of weeks ago with 22k miles. (traded my 06 gt) I couldnt believe the difference in power from the 06 to the 13, it was night and day. I have since put almost 2k miles on the car and it doesnt fell like it has the same "pep" that it did the first week and a half or so. Now I realize that you kind of get used to it but i really dont think that is the case. On the top end if feels close to the same but I can tell that it still doesnt have hardly as much as it did initially, but on the lower end is where I am really noticing the difference and there are times that it hesitates going from one gear to the next.

I asked the salesman if the car had a tune on it and if there had been any mods to the car, and he told me the only thing he knew of was the axleback exhaust (Flowmaster Outlaw) and no other mods that he was aware of. Has anyone else had any similar issues with their car? I thought it was just in my head at first but it really isnt, there is a noticable difference in power and this has been going on for several days now. The only difference between then and now is the weather, however it has gotten a few degrees warmer the last week but it has still been beow 40 everyday that i have noticed this.

By the way I havent noticed any sounds or ticks or any other noises or fluid leaks or any of that. Any advice?
FFStang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You are just becoming accustomed to it, very likely.

You could try higher octane fuel or disconnect the battery for a 1/2 hour to reset the KAM and see how that works for ya.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Outside temp can affect it. If it was colder when you first bought it and now it's like 20 degrees warmer then it'll feel slower

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

I thought it may have been the temp at first but it has varied very much. So what about the hesitation between gears?
Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The problem is 99%..... YOUR PERCEPTION.

When you first get a new faster car... your heart races as the faster feeling is new.

Then that feeling goes away, the more you drive the car fast.

Its the reason everyone keeps upgrading their cars. They get a new 5.0 and they're happy & excited.... then it starts to feel slow... so they do some mods, tune, etc... then it starts to feel slow....so they get a supercharger, etc.!!

You'll need a car with under 4 second 0-60 to keep that feeling all of the time! Its a lot harder to get used to it when you're that fast.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

Lol you are probably right. So do you have a spare SC laying around I can have?
Old 03-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I would try higher octane gas like 93 if it is tuned it will need it like 5LHO said. If you or the salesman don't know what mods you have.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

I had been running 87 but I just filled it up with 93 so I'll give that some time to see if it makes a difference. I'm also going to see if I can get the ford dealer to give me the previous owners phone number so I can call and see if he will tell me exactly what he done to it.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFStang13 View Post
I had been running 87 but I just filled it up with 93 so I'll give that some time to see if it makes a difference. I'm also going to see if I can get the ford dealer to give me the previous owners phone number so I can call and see if he will tell me exactly what he done to it.

You should always run higher than 87. Some people say they had problems when they used 87.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Losing power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
You should always run higher than 87. Some people say they had problems when they used 87.

What? Nah man. $0.30 per gallon savings is huge. That's like $4 per full tank. By doing that OP could save enough for a supercharger after what like 2000 fill ups or basically 2000 x 13 gallons x 16mpg = 416,000 miles.

That's if the engine and the car survives for that long lol

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
What? Nah man. $0.30 per gallon savings is huge. That's like $4 per full tank. By doing that OP could save enough for a supercharger after what like 2000 fill ups or basically 2000 x 13 gallons x 16mpg = 416,000 miles.

For real bro. I fill my tank up half way and fill the rest with water. It dilutes it to 37 octane but whatever.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

Lmao saving $4 per tank is not much. I prefer to pay a little extra than having trouble down the road.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #13

I always ran 87 in my other mustang and never had any issues. I also asked the oh so wise salesman if this car required higher octane fuel and he said absolutely not that 87 would be just fine.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
I always ran 87 in my other mustang and never had any issues. I also asked the oh so wise salesman if this car required higher octane fuel and he said absolutely not that 87 would be just fine.

Cool. Always trust the salesman. Especially the used car salesman.

Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #15

Hence the sarcasm in the "oh so wise salesman" comment.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #16
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
If it's auto, you can pull fuse 47 for a few minutes minutes. This resets the adaptive shifting programmed into the PCM. Might give you back some of that pep.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #17

It's a 6 speed. I have heard something about that fuse. So it's only for an auto?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #18

It's a 6 speed. I have heard something about that fuse. So it's only for an auto?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
For real bro. I fill my tank up half way and fill the rest with water. It dilutes it to 37 octane but whatever.

Water raises octane.

Hence: Water/Meth injection

Octane = The compression that the fuel can withstand before becoming unstable and igniting.

Ethanol is also higher octane that gasoline.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If you want a little more performance run the higher octane. It will help.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:16 AM   #21
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:

I believe so but have heard of a handful of manual owners swearing that it helped them out too. There may be fuel trim data or similar also stored in that part of the PCM. Or it's placebo effect haha. No harm in trying it out.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:26 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If you read the HP on these cars and many others the fine print will say test 93 octane!!!!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 AM   #23

I know that the throttle response isn't as good as it was. When I got the car you could just act like yo were going to touch the has pedal and the rpm would go up. Now it has much more lag in the pedal.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
It the adaptive drive, need to drive it like you stole it. Not like your driving your grandmother to to bingo night.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #25

I have been driving pretty easy the last week. It's been raining a lot and you know how these cars are in the rain. I didn't know the car would adapt to your driving style. Can that be reset by doing the battery terminal pull?

Old 03-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Weather (DA and humidity) especially cooler sub 50 degree air makes a significant difference in the way most cars run. This is why you see all the "hero" record quarter mile runs being done in sub DA cold air at sea level.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #27
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Can that be reset by doing the battery terminal pull?

Yes, but you'll more than likely need to perform the idle relearn, which may actually help with your issue as well now that I think about it.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #28

I'm not sure I know what the idle relearn is.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #29
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
I'm not sure I know what the idle relearn is.

I believe it's page 242 of your owner's manual. It's called Battery Relearn in there.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 AM   #30

Ok thanks, I'll check it out. Now here is what has happened over the last couple of days....I filled up with 93 octane as I said in a previous post, I believe it was Monday evening. I now have about half of that tank ran through, I have been driving it like I stole it. I didn't feel any difference in the way it ran whatsoever. Still felt like it didn't have even close to the power that it had when I bought the car. It almost feels like something is stopped up. I know now that it isn't just me "getting used to it" and there truly is a loss of power.

Yesterday after work I decided to pull the negative battery terminal when I got home. I pulled the terminal and left it off 30-35 minutes then put it back on and started the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes. Took it for a drive and really opened it up several times from a dead stop and from a roll. No difference at all. Still felt sluggish.

I got up this morning to come to work and immediately felt a difference when I pulled out of the driveway, it felt like a different car with tons of power. Every chance I got this morning I opened it up and it was getting loose in 3rd gear by just rolling into it just like it did when I bought it. Now when it was feeling sluggish it wouldn't break loose in 2nd gear unless I clutched it. This tells me that it isn't a placebo affect or that I'm getting used to it. It ran great all the way to work, and I even hit some back roads to "play" a little and to make sure I wasn't half asleep and dreaming.

I'll see how it does this afternoon and give an update as well, but this really has me baffled.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
One, dont be a dumb... and run 87 octane in a 11 to 1 comp motor that can rev to 7000 plus rpms. I know the motor has knock sensors, but thats asking for trouble. Especially if its tuned or you dont know...? Buy a Kia if you want to run regular pump.

Secondly, as stated before weather makes a noticable difference in the way these cars feel. Temp, barometer, density altitude, humidity, etc. etc.

Finally, your *** o meter is used to the car now. Move on kiddo.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
One, dont be a dumb... and run 87 octane in a 11 to 1 comp motor that can rev to 7000 plus rpms. I know the motor has knock sensors, but thats asking for trouble. Especially if its tuned or you dont know...? Buy a Kia if you want to run regular pump.

Secondly, as stated before weather makes a noticable difference in the way these cars feel. Temp, barometer, density altitude, humidity, etc. etc.

Finally, your *** o meter is used to the car now. Move on kiddo.
So first, I have always ran 87 in everything and never had an issue and from everything I have read 87 is just fine in these cars. So I hardly call running 87 grade fuel being a dumb a$$.

Secondly, I do understand weather makes a difference but I hardly think a few degrees difference would make the difference I am experiencing. My ***-o-meter tells me exactly what I have experienced as stated above. There was a huge difference between yesterday and today. If it were a small difference then I would have never asked you folks of your opinion. I thought that was what this forum was used for but clearly I have annoyed you with my questions. Feel free to skip this thread anytime you scroll through the forum.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks, I'll check it out. Now here is what has happened over the last couple of days....I filled up with 93 octane as I said in a previous post, I believe it was Monday evening. I now have about half of that tank ran through, I have been driving it like I stole it. I didn't feel any difference in the way it ran whatsoever. Still felt like it didn't have even close to the power that it had when I bought the car. It almost feels like something is stopped up. I know now that it isn't just me "getting used to it" and there truly is a loss of power.

Yesterday after work I decided to pull the negative battery terminal when I got home. I pulled the terminal and left it off 30-35 minutes then put it back on and started the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes. Took it for a drive and really opened it up several times from a dead stop and from a roll. No difference at all. Still felt sluggish.

I got up this morning to come to work and immediately felt a difference when I pulled out of the driveway, it felt like a different car with tons of power. Every chance I got this morning I opened it up and it was getting loose in 3rd gear by just rolling into it just like it did when I bought it. Now when it was feeling sluggish it wouldn't break loose in 2nd gear unless I clutched it. This tells me that it isn't a placebo affect or that I'm getting used to it. It ran great all the way to work, and I even hit some back roads to "play" a little and to make sure I wasn't half asleep and dreaming.

I'll see how it does this afternoon and give an update as well, but this really has me baffled.
Exactly, the advice we gave you. Fill it up with 93 octane, reset battery, drive it like you stole it. GIVE IT SOME TIME TO RELEARN, that you actually have the 93 octane & are driving it like you stole it.

Keep filling up with 93 octane and it will stay faster.

The adaptive stuff its really more for automatics. But it does affect the engine a little too.

Quote:
So first, I have always ran 87 in everything and never had an issue and from everything I have read 87 is just fine in these cars. So I hardly call running 87 grade fuel being a dumb a$$.
Your ASSumptions are wrong, and based on OTHER vehicles with engines that were not as flexible in their ECU tuning.

Most engines are tune for either 93 or 87.

My wife's Lexus was tuned for Premium fuel, if you ran anything below 91 that it ran like shlt.

Most SUV's & trucks are commuter / cargo vehicles, the engines are designed & tuned for 87 octane. You will get no more power from them with 93 octane. (with out an aftermarket tune, and probably also tighter gapped sparkplugs)

The Mustang is a performance car, that CAN also run as a commuter car if you put 87 octane in it. So if you keep it filled up with 93 octane it will run like a performance car. If you fill it up with 87 octane the engine backs off the time and it performs more like a commuter car, not sports car.

Its simple logic, people are calling you stupid b/c you're arguing with them about a SIMPLE scientific know variable & outcome.

The power everyone gets when they get tunes is from the engine advancing timing even more b/c they KNOW you won't put 87 octane in. So they can force the engine in to highest performance mode all the time.

Or for cars with stock 87 tunes, like my Ford F-150 3.5L ecoboost I can gain 90hp from a 93 octane tune. The octane power increase is multiplied b/c its a turbo engine.

Educate yourself & people won't call you a "dumb a55":

http://www.performanceautosport.com/...-0-mustang-gt/

+ 20 hp for 93 octane vs 87 octane on stock tune.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

You always ran 87 in everything else were they all high performance like the 5.0. What is the big deal about pressing 93 instead of 87 ? You asked we are just trying to help with maybe a cheap fix!!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #35

I truly appreciate all the comments and help you guys are giving me and I have tried everything you have told me to try. I never said I knew everything about gas octane and how these new engines work and no I didn't do a ton of research on this car before I asked my question. I knew that something wasn't right so I figured I would come to you guys for help and I feel that is exactly what I received from almost all of the replies. There were a couple of ******wad replies but hey there are one or two in every crowd.

Now to answer your question, the only vehicle I ever had to run higher that 87 in was a 1997 Jeep wrangler I had several years ago. The valves would rattle and it ran terrible on anything less than 93 octane. My last vehicle was a 2006 Mustang GT manual and never did I run anything other than 87 in it and never had an issue.

I just never think to run 93 simply because I guess that's what I am used to. I have no issues at all with running 93 in my car now that I know it really matters. As I said, the dealer told me 87 is fine and 93 isn't needed so I took their word and went on my way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT