Which to buy? GT or GT500. - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular
 
c_rizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Well, you must be young. It was nice to include you're wife. For mine I just bought her a separate car, and she can drive in the passenger seat when we take the Mustang out for drives. I let me wife drive my 97 Cobra...............that was the last time she drove my car.
The Mustang is a 3rd weekend fun car, which I wanted her to appreciate too. She never appreciated my Porsche b/c I was the only driver (manual), so when I spent $5k on wheels or $10k on turbo, she wasn't happy. Now, she loves the convertible mustang, so when I drop money on it, she's less likely to complain. I could drop a supercharger in it & she'd probably love the extra power when she drives it. Just bought her a 2015 Acadia Denali for Xmas, so she's got her new ride too.

I've got an idea 2015 Roush: Ford Mustang Roushcharged | eBay Best of both worlds. Factory warranty since its a Dealer installed Roush SC.

I like this 2012 GT500 too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...US_Cars_Trucks
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Waldorf
Region: Maryland
Posts: 135
So you get the GT and add the blower. That's what I did and its still a lot cheaper than GT500. Even with GT internals it can handle 9psi on the street. Drag racing would be a diffrent story. OBTW Roush tune is a little weak, so plan on a retune if you go that way. Ford has a nice supercharger kit and you can do with or without their tune. But again their tune is not full potential and you will want a retune, especially for under 4000 rpm.
Cobrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #73
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
The Mustang is a 3rd weekend fun car, which I wanted her to appreciate too. She never appreciated my Porsche b/c I was the only driver (manual), so when I spent $5k on wheels or $10k on turbo, she wasn't happy. Now, she loves the convertible mustang, so when I drop money on it, she's less likely to complain. I could drop a supercharger in it & she'd probably love the extra power when she drives it. Just bought her a 2015 Acadia Denali for Xmas, so she's got her new ride too.

I've got an idea 2015 Roush: Ford Mustang Roushcharged | eBay Best of both worlds. Factory warranty since its a Dealer installed Roush SC.

I like this 2012 GT500 too: Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 | eBay
Both cars look great!
Just $48,000 for the 15 is just about where you could by a 13 GT500 which would be a more robust car to start adding more HP/TQ. I would think with that you'd be replacing a lot of IRS stuff or upgrading...............real soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakit View Post
So you get the GT and add the blower. That's what I did and its still a lot cheaper than GT500. Even with GT internals it can handle 9psi on the street. Drag racing would be a diffrent story. OBTW Roush tune is a little weak, so plan on a retune if you go that way. Ford has a nice supercharger kit and you can do with or without their tune. But again their tune is not full potential and you will want a retune, especially for under 4000 rpm.
In the long run I don't see how it's any cheaper. The GT500 has much better suspension/tires wheels and motor. The transmission is the TR6060 which is light years ahead of the MT82 trans and three times as strong.......not to mention not being made in China.
Just depends on how much money you want to spend.
It's your car and your money.............let us know what direction you go.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular
 
FordAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 776
I've started to think about a possibility that combines both worlds... I could just save up and wait till end of next year and then grab a 2016 GT500. With the amount I will have saved, my monthly finance would be less than it would be if I was to buy one of the listed options now. Opinions?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
I've started to think about a possibility that combines both worlds... I could just save up and wait till end of next year and then grab a 2016 GT500. With the amount I will have saved, my monthly finance would be less than it would be if I was to buy one of the listed options now. Opinions?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GT350 or GT350R, Ford currently has no plans for a GT500 that anyone knows about. I doubt they'd go all GT on us either, where only a few select Ford employees knew.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular
 
FordAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 776
http://horsepowerkings.com/ford-shel...r-development/

Not sure if reliable or not, but I'm sure there's something coming..


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Horsepowerkings.com is a fake news site, they spew crap like this all day.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #78
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Horsepower kings is complete trash, unreliable


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #79
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
UPDATE: 2017 Shelby GT500 is coming, could crack 740+ HP w/ Twin-Turbo EcoBoost 5.0 (Video) | HorsepowerKings.com

Not sure if reliable or not, but I'm sure there's something coming..


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I don't know anything about this site, but the 500 is only being put on the back burner until the 350 is up and running.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Detroit
Region: Michigan
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo1 View Post
Save the money until you complete school. Invest with the downpayment money. Buy your first well-equipped Mustang after having finished school, collected 6 months salary in reserve and started a retirement fund. If you start sinking cash into cars while in school, you are likely starting a trend for yourself. You'll wish you wouldn't have, when you need a downpayment on a house.
I realize we're 3 pages into this thread, but I'm going to bring up the very first response you got to your comment and 2nd it just because it's the right thing to do...even though this isn't a Personal Finance Forum lol.

You mentioned ~$2,500/month in discretionary income, but didn't say if that is before or after savings. Also, do you currently live at home OP?
Just_A_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular
 
FordAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 776
That figure is before savings, and I currently cover my own rent payment as I am living in Austin for school.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Detroit
Region: Michigan
Posts: 32
If you're ok with swinging a giant car payment at such a young age, go for it I guess. Not the wisest financial decision, but I guess YOLO.
Just_A_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
FordAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 776
Soccerluvr4, how did you get those Raxiom tails so quickly??


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
Soccerluvr4, how did you get those Raxiom tails so quickly??


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
He works for AM.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:35 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
FordAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 776
Ahh. Very nice!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:06 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 287
I'm facing a similar situation to what he is facing accept I make a lot less lol.
I work at a pharmacy as a cashier I make about 1 k a month ( not much) my second jobs filming pranks with a friend of mine he pays decent. I am 18, I drive a 1996 mustang GT 70 xxx miles amazing conditions .I have about 5K saved I am thinking of saving another 5k and investing 10 k on a down payment for a 2014 5.0... I know this will take quit a while ! Any whose I am debating wether or not to go to college! For criminal justice although a police officer seems stressful and not the best paying career, should I invest my money into something ? Could you guys share stories/thoughts/advice. I am indeed young, and not likely to make the best decisions im more than willing to wait to buy my mustang I just don't know what I should do meanwhile to save money/ make more money.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #87
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
I'm facing a similar situation to what he is facing accept I make a lot less lol.
I work at a pharmacy as a cashier I make about 1 k a month ( not much) my second jobs filming pranks with a friend of mine he pays decent. I am 18, I drive a 1996 mustang GT 70 xxx miles amazing conditions .I have about 5K saved I am thinking of saving another 5k and investing 10 k on a down payment for a 2014 5.0... I know this will take quit a while ! Any whose I am debating wether or not to go to college! For criminal justice although a police officer seems stressful and not the best paying career, should I invest my money into something ? Could you guys share stories/thoughts/advice. I am indeed young, and not likely to make the best decisions im more than willing to wait to buy my mustang I just don't know what I should do meanwhile to save money/ make more money.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I just have to say that this isn't an IVESTMENT. An investment is buying something and hoping/planning that it will increase in price, no decrease like a car. A car is a poor investment and you will never get out of it what you put in..........with the exception of collector cars. I will not live long enough to see the new Mustangs become collectables.
Talk to you Dad and Mother........Grandfather.......and tell them exactly what you wrote here! They have a lot of years of experience and can help you............and you need to make the decision and commitment to go forward.
As for investing money, go to someone who knows about investing money.
My advise would be go to College..........assuming you have some direction. Don't just go to go. Starting out in a community college which is cheaper may spark your interest in something. Where you good at Math, Science, English..............personally I was interested in business and engineering.............and although I'm 50 years older than you, I've traveled the world selling high tech equipment...........been divorced a couple of times.......been drag racing for over 35+ years, road racing for 10........and now I've been retired since 2011.
Sit down with your folks and talk/think this trough..........is the best advice I can give you.
Just remember, putting $10 grand down on a new GT is not an investment!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
fomoco4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Antioch
Region: California
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
I'm facing a similar situation to what he is facing accept I make a lot less lol.
I work at a pharmacy as a cashier I make about 1 k a month ( not much) my second jobs filming pranks with a friend of mine he pays decent. I am 18, I drive a 1996 mustang GT 70 xxx miles amazing conditions .I have about 5K saved I am thinking of saving another 5k and investing 10 k on a down payment for a 2014 5.0... I know this will take quit a while ! Any whose I am debating wether or not to go to college! For criminal justice although a police officer seems stressful and not the best paying career, should I invest my money into something ? Could you guys share stories/thoughts/advice. I am indeed young, and not likely to make the best decisions im more than willing to wait to buy my mustang I just don't know what I should do meanwhile to save money/ make more money.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Figure out what u wanna be when u grow up, go to college, get educated and make it happen. Without a decent career choice and the education to uphold it, ur life will be a constant struggle. At 42, with four kids and no college, I have had to work my *** off my entire life. Work hard in school now, so u don't have to work hard ur whole life, that's what I tell my 19 year old who wants my stang lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular
 
c_rizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,008
Cars are the worst "investments" in the world. (exception expensive collector cars)

But I can give you some car buying (not investment) advice.

1. Build your credit before anything. Use a credit card to buy things that you have the cash for. Do not buy things you can't pay for at the end of the month. ie: Pay off the whole balance each month. If you build a balance that you can't pay for at the end of the month you F'd up. You DON'T want to pay CC interest rates!

Once you have good credit, you can buy cars easily and cheaply. Conversely whenever they're dealing with someone with poor/no credit, they know you'll be desperate for a loan, so they plan on raping you over price AND interest rates.

2. Shop around and know what good prices / invoices prices are on the cars that you're interested in, so you'll know when you've got a good deal.

3a. Buy at the end of a model year. My 2012 F-150 and 2014 Mustang were both bought in Aug/Sept of those years, when the new model years were starting to come out. So I got both cars below invoice price + $4,000-$5,000 in rebates. That came out to like $11k off my F-150 and about $8k off my mustang. Negotiating these deals with good credit are pieces of cake, b/c they're often "desperate" to move the old cars.

3b. Or buy lightly used cars. 10,000 miles+- on the odometer, they're old enough where they know they've got to mark them down considerably, but new enough that you're getting a nice car with some of warranty left. These are often harder to negotiate.

3c. Find someone that was planning on trading in their old car (a car that you like), and offer to buy the car from them for $250 more than they're getting offered. BUT have them ask the dealership to do a courtesy trade (aka In & Out). This allows them to still get the tax savings of a trade in (so they take the low price), and you get it at bargain rate before the dealership marks it back up.

Win, win for you & seller. They get more than dealer offered and you get a car for a (cheap) trade in price.

As others have said though, you should be more focused on long term goals like building an education / career. If having a cool car now means you fail out of school for a Mickey D's job, then you'll be struggling forever. My wife & I BOTH put in our time, got our degrees (she got her Masters also) and we both have six figure jobs, so we can afford all of the nice things we want, whenever we want.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 287
Golden advice thanks guys ! What I meant was put down 10 k on a down payment sorry. I agree with you all. Final question would it be worth modding my current mustang? Issues I have with it
-it's automatic
-convertible
...I thought about purchasing some nice new cobra rims with my credit card than pay it right off at the end of the month. Performance wise I do not desire to race with it so no need for upgrades as of now. I will be attending local community college next semester! Thank you all for taking time to respond!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular
 
fomoco4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Antioch
Region: California
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
Golden advice thanks guys ! What I meant was put down 10 k on a down payment sorry. I agree with you all. Final question would it be worth modding my current mustang? Issues I have with it
-it's automatic
-convertible
...I thought about purchasing some nice new cobra rims with my credit card than pay it right off at the end of the month. Performance wise I do not desire to race with it so no need for upgrades as of now. I will be attending local community college next semester! Thank you all for taking time to respond!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Rims are a great mod for any car cosmetically. That's all I've done besides tint lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 287
I found cobra 03' rims with tires for 1k on eBay although I think they are ****ty tires ? I checked american muscle 1.4 k cobra replicas with Nitto tires


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
dave73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mechanicsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,058
Is this a financial planning or a Mustang Forum?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 287
Hmm Let's see to begin with the original forum question was which to buy? So I assume it involves both sir financial and mustang related.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #95
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
Golden advice thanks guys ! What I meant was put down 10 k on a down payment sorry. I agree with you all. Final question would it be worth modding my current mustang? Issues I have with it
-it's automatic
-convertible
...I thought about purchasing some nice new cobra rims with my credit card than pay it right off at the end of the month. Performance wise I do not desire to race with it so no need for upgrades as of now. I will be attending local community college next semester! Thank you all for taking time to respond!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I had a 97 Cobra (see my pictures) and I lowered it and sold the 16" wheels that came with it and put the 17"Cobra R wheels on it, 17x8" in the front and 17x9" in the rear...........looked great.
I'm pretty sure you can buy these wheels new for around $100/115 new, and whatever kind of tires you want put on it and it will look great.
If you don't care about power then no need to spend anymore money.............issue solved.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #96
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Is this a financial planning or a Mustang Forum?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
Hmm Let's see to begin with the original forum question was which to buy? So I assume it involves both sir financial and mustang related.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I'm here to help any young guy/girl..............it's just too bad more young people don't ask older folks their opinion more often........I put myself in the "Ole Folks" category. That's kind of how you should formulate an opinion.............so to have a what year Mustang to buy turn into a what should I do...I personally think that's great......but that's just me, because I've already started to do my "Bucket List".
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular
 
dave73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mechanicsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,058
Yeah but I would never want to deprive anyone of the fun had while making the mistakes of youth! If you can get a GT500 go get it!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #98
Registered Member

Regular
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hopkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 6,526
^this...


Adventure till you drop
__________________
Mustangalley.com
Mustang of the day,
July 12, 2015
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 287
Hmm can I find those rims over ebay/ American muscle ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #100
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCaMuscle View Post
Hmm can I find those rims over ebay/ American muscle ?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I'm sure you can, or pick up a Musle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine and there are a number of vendors that sell them.
I think you can even buy 10.5" wide rear CobraR wheels now.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:34 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular
 
FordAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Cars are the worst "investments" in the world. (exception expensive collector cars)

But I can give you some car buying (not investment) advice.

1. Build your credit before anything. Use a credit card to buy things that you have the cash for. Do not buy things you can't pay for at the end of the month. ie: Pay off the whole balance each month. If you build a balance that you can't pay for at the end of the month you F'd up. You DON'T want to pay CC interest rates!

Once you have good credit, you can buy cars easily and cheaply. Conversely whenever they're dealing with someone with poor/no credit, they know you'll be desperate for a loan, so they plan on raping you over price AND interest rates.

2. Shop around and know what good prices / invoices prices are on the cars that you're interested in, so you'll know when you've got a good deal.

3a. Buy at the end of a model year. My 2012 F-150 and 2014 Mustang were both bought in Aug/Sept of those years, when the new model years were starting to come out. So I got both cars below invoice price + $4,000-$5,000 in rebates. That came out to like $11k off my F-150 and about $8k off my mustang. Negotiating these deals with good credit are pieces of cake, b/c they're often "desperate" to move the old cars.

3b. Or buy lightly used cars. 10,000 miles+- on the odometer, they're old enough where they know they've got to mark them down considerably, but new enough that you're getting a nice car with some of warranty left. These are often harder to negotiate.

3c. Find someone that was planning on trading in their old car (a car that you like), and offer to buy the car from them for $250 more than they're getting offered. BUT have them ask the dealership to do a courtesy trade (aka In & Out). This allows them to still get the tax savings of a trade in (so they take the low price), and you get it at bargain rate before the dealership marks it back up.

Win, win for you & seller. They get more than dealer offered and you get a car for a (cheap) trade in price.

As others have said though, you should be more focused on long term goals like building an education / career. If having a cool car now means you fail out of school for a Mickey D's job, then you'll be struggling forever. My wife & I BOTH put in our time, got our degrees (she got her Masters also) and we both have six figure jobs, so we can afford all of the nice things we want, whenever we want.

Commenting on this, I have had a credit card since 16 and always have paid it off. The last time I did a credit check, I was sitting right around 750. Should have gone up some, as my credit limit is very high as well.

After talking to my girlfriend, which we already have plans on the whole engagement/ wedding timeframe etc and have been living together for well over a year now, I have decided to do the following:

Save up $1000-1300 each month until my 22nd birthday (20 months). Purchase a car around the end of that time, possibly looking at if they release a new GT500. She has mentioned that she wants me to get a car with the money if I'm the only one saving for it as well. My friend works as the head for a construction company that buys over 200 Ford trucks yearly and he just got $25,000 off of sticker on a F350 Platinum fully loaded. After talking with him, he has told me that whenever I'm looking to buy, he can also get me a discount on a Mustang. So more savings is always good.

For those of you who mentioned house down payment, my significant other doesn't want to get a house until about a year after I'm done with college (she's older by 2 years). She now has a management line up for Nordstrom and I'm looking into PR. Based off of example numbers, say that both she and I are making $60,000 each. For that year after I graduate, if we were to save half of our income for a house down payment , we will have $60,000 saved up. Seeing some values right outside of Austin, we can find something for sure in the $150,000-$190,000 range. $60,000 will most certainly cover 20% down payment and closing costs which will allow us to have much lower rates etc.

Not saying that everyone achieves $60,000 right out of college, but currently, I'm sitting over $40,000 easy. She and I both live within our means, we cook at home and don't waste money eating out, etc. Rent is under $1,500 a month including all bills.

Of course, saving for future and retirement along the way.

Does this sound reasonable?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:47 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 287
Damn I think I'm moving to Texas lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GoldenCaMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:57 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular
 
FordAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 776
Travis County (Austin) also doesn't have emissions testing. 😏


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #104
Registered Member

Regular
 
Famine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rapid City
Region: South Dakota
Posts: 684
Whatever you do, don't get a different car every 6 months and mod them.

What type of manager is she if you don't mind?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular
 
c_rizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
Commenting on this, I have had a credit card since 16 and always have paid it off. The last time I did a credit check, I was sitting right around 750. Should have gone up some, as my credit limit is very high as well.

After talking to my girlfriend, which we already have plans on the whole engagement/ wedding timeframe etc and have been living together for well over a year now, I have decided to do the following:

Save up $1000-1300 each month until my 22nd birthday (20 months). Purchase a car around the end of that time, possibly looking at if they release a new GT500. She has mentioned that she wants me to get a car with the money if I'm the only one saving for it as well. My friend works as the head for a construction company that buys over 200 Ford trucks yearly and he just got $25,000 off of sticker on a F350 Platinum fully loaded. After talking with him, he has told me that whenever I'm looking to buy, he can also get me a discount on a Mustang. So more savings is always good.

For those of you who mentioned house down payment, my significant other doesn't want to get a house until about a year after I'm done with college (she's older by 2 years). She now has a management line up for Nordstrom and I'm looking into PR. Based off of example numbers, say that both she and I are making $60,000 each. For that year after I graduate, if we were to save half of our income for a house down payment , we will have $60,000 saved up. Seeing some values right outside of Austin, we can find something for sure in the $150,000-$190,000 range. $60,000 will most certainly cover 20% down payment and closing costs which will allow us to have much lower rates etc.

Not saying that everyone achieves $60,000 right out of college, but currently, I'm sitting over $40,000 easy. She and I both live within our means, we cook at home and don't waste money eating out, etc. Rent is under $1,500 a month including all bills.

Of course, saving for future and retirement along the way.

Does this sound reasonable?
It sounds very good.

Key points:

1. You're both getting college degrees... that's $2 million extra "in the bank". On average college graduates make $25k more a year for their 40 years+ in the job market. That's $1 million for each of you getting your degree.

2. You have excellent credit already. Having good credit means low interest rates, this will save you thousands of dollars every year of your life.

3. You're actually thinking of long term goals and consulting others, not just flying by the seat of your pants and living paycheck to paycheck.

You're going to be fine. In fact, I'd bet you will be very well off in 10 years. Just don't crank out too many babies too fast!! They're expensive!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which would win in a race/which is the fastest? Grady General Mustang Discussion 2 12-17-2011 01:10 AM
Which car is the best deal? Which would you get? chesmu General Mustang Discussion 6 03-14-2010 07:27 PM
Which car would you rather drive? and which one looks better? adron General Mustang Discussion 8 03-06-2010 11:55 PM
1998 3.8L mustang vs. 1995 3.4L Camaro which would win? which weighs less? ioan General Car Discussion 2 08-26-2009 06:42 PM
Which Video Card to buy, and WHY! SpectorV The Bar 43 02-02-2005 08:47 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:10 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.