Taking this car to the dealer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Taking this car to the dealer

I'll tell ya I've had more problems and "need to upgrades" on thus car in 4000 miles then I ever did on my SRT charger and that had 140000+ no issues. So I have a Roush axle back and CAI....plus a Barton 2 post bracket ...will any of that give me warranty issues? I'm removing my tune..... car quieted down alot when I swapped the oil from royal purple to mobil one...but just started hearing the bottom end ticking again.....any one have any experience with bottom end ticking on the 13 gt?
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Only does it after it warms up.... eng temp is about half way on the gauge
Old 03-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Removing the tune is a waste of time since they can tell anyways if it was tuned.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstorm View Post
I'll tell ya I've had more problems and "need to upgrades" on thus car in 4000 miles then I ever did on my SRT charger and that had 140000+ no issues. So I have a Roush axle back and CAI....plus a Barton 2 post bracket ...will any of that give me warranty issues? I'm removing my tune..... car quited down alot when I swapped the oil from royal purple to mobil one...but just started hearing the bottom end ticking again.....any one have any experience with bottom end ticking on the 13 gt

I have low end ticking too and it just started after my oil change

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
I have low end ticking too and it just started after my oil change

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
That's exactly what happened to mine. ..what oil u use?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstorm View Post
I'll tell ya I've had more problems .....will any of that give me warranty issues? I'm removing my tune.....
Now there's your problem..... With an almost brand new car I must say!

And yet somehow, any day now, some new kid is going to start a thread that says....
"Is a tune safe for my brand new $35k car" "Ford won't F me on my warranty right?"

And 50 people will post up how newbie absolutely needs a tune and it's the ******. And they've never heard of problems from a tune and tune bashers are making ****up.
If I ever do it, it's Ford Track Key or nothing.
Tune (and "CAI") just made another Dodge fan. NOT the Mustang.
If you want a ***** fast Mustang go ahead and buy a GT500, don't F with its computer or combustion process. Drive it like you stole it, then judge it.
When you bring that 13 to Ford, I'll bet their master technicians say somthing very similar....but they're full of crap too right.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

When you take your car in to the dealer

PUT STOCK TUNE BACK IN IT Not because of warranty problems but if they need to put the car on their scanner to see what is wrong and try to get a codeTHE CUSTOM TUNE MAY CAUSE THEM PROBLEMS THAT A STOCK TUNE DOES NOT It is as simple as that. Plus, A lot of times when you take your car into a dealer even to get a tail light bulb installed they may check to see if your computer has the latest program installed. If not, they will update it and if it is a custom tune they may really open a can of worms.
99% of all car dealers don't care much if you ran a tune as long as the stock one is in the car when you bring it in for them to check on a problem.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you
Old 03-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you take a car to a dealer----

and it is for something not related to the engine/transmission and they don't need to run a scan you can get one of these from American Muscle or Steeda

That way they know not to scan the car, It plugs into the port they would use to run a scan on your car.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
A reputable dealer should not give you a hard time for cai or mufflers. Do tune as was said. I had a blower (it was a FRPP thought) on mine and they replaced cats under warranty. I ran the FRPP tune on NA, not track version and was very happy.
Cobrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok ...yea I got 20k on it 2nd owner had it for about 4000 miles....damn tick/knock
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Now there's your problem..... With an almost brand new car I must say!

And yet somehow, any day now, some new kid is going to start a thread that says....
"Is a tune safe for my brand new $35k car" "Ford won't F me on my warranty right?"

And 50 people will post up how newbie absolutely needs a tune and it's the $hizznit. And they've never heard of problems from a tune and tune bashers are making ***** up.
If I ever do it, it's Ford Track Key or nothing.
Tune (and "CAI") just made another Dodge fan. NOT the Mustang.
If you want a ***** fast Mustang go ahead and buy a GT500, don't F with its computer or combustion process. Drive it like you stole it, then judge it.
When you bring that 13 to Ford, I'll bet their master technicians say somthing very similar....but they're full of crap too right.

Plenty of people run tunes on their mustangs without issues. As for the tick being prevalent and a "common problem" I don't doubt that people have the tick but I doubt any one of us can easily come up with 10 or 20 people they know that have the tick.

Sorry OP that you got the tick. I had it for about half a tanks worth of gas. It was idling kinda weird and I had gas from a station I didn't normally go to and eventually ran half a can of Seafoam in the tank and the tick went away.

I remember reading somewhere that some guy put Seafoam thru a vacuum line to the intake and it cleared out the carbon buildup and the tick went away. Be careful the intake doesn't get flooded with Seafoam though. I didn't have to do the intake treatment though. Three oil changes later I'm still tick free.

Good luck

PS. Yeah return to stock. Innocent till proven guilty. You don't need to run into the dealership with a tune or catless pipes just like you don't need to provide video proof of you driving 90mph on the highway when you get pulled over.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakit View Post
A reputable dealer should not give you a hard time for cai or mufflers. Do tune as was said. I had a blower (it was a FRPP thought) on mine and they replaced cats under warranty. I ran the FRPP tune on NA, not track version and was very happy.
Unfair to label a dealer as "reputable" or otherwise in this matter.

Remember, the dealer does not set the warranty rules, Ford manufacturing does. The dealer performs warranty work, then submits to Ford for reimbursement. If they knowingly do repair work on an item that was altered by an aftermarket part, they could loose ther warranty work payback, plus any future warranty submissions to Ford. Most dealerships will not perform warranty work on lets say, an exhaust issue if you put on an aftermarket exhaust part. However, the remainder of the car would be covered.

Tuners are the large subject to debate here. They alter the fuel/air and timing parameters over stock, so many dealerships may wish to steer clear of any engine warranty work of a vehicle that's been tuned. As already stated, the new PCM/ECU's used in late model vehicles will store if they have been tuned, so setting back the stock tune is advised, but will not hide the fact it had a tune installed.

Many tuners worth their salt will stand behind their tunes and stake claims that they will not harm the engine in such a way as to damage it, and cause a warranty issue. Best to talk about this with them before you buy, as well as your local dealerships service advisor.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I have seen the tick traced back to two types of oil:

20W-50 or full synthetic. I use the semi synthetic Motorcraft oil and have no noises at 21,000 miles. What oil are you using at this time?
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

full syn mobil 1 5w 20
Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

As mentioned in another thread on this subject, full synthetic is not the "cause" of the tick.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Dealers may not set the wrranties, but they do implement them. In my case the dealer wanted to help me out and saw that even though he could have easily denied the warranty, that the fact that the supercharger was from FRPP with there tune (and his experience with Roush cars) that he would cover. And maybe the use of the word reputable was a little harsh, but some dealers don't like to do warranty work in general or do warranty work on cars they didn sell.
Cobrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakit View Post
Dealers may not set the wrranties, but they do implement them. In my case the dealer wanted to help me out and saw that even though he could have easily denied the warranty, that the fact that the supercharger was from FRPP with there tune (and his experience with Roush cars) that he would cover. And maybe the use of the word reputable was a little harsh, but some dealers don't like to do warranty work in general or do warranty work on cars they didn sell.
You are correct, my local dealer is the same way. I ask them about the Trackkey for my car and they said the owner doesn't like or want to install or mess with any car having FRPP. I said wtf, its Ford and has a warranty. The service guy says they just don't want to...I told them I won't be using them anymore for anything. I called another dealer that sells Roush cars and they said they will do any install and work on any FRPP or any car with mods and honor warranty as long as it wasn't the cause of the failure. Fair enough to me.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc

I have a 2012 GT with a 93 race tune that I installed a week after buying the car new! I take my car in every 5000 miles for oil change and any work I need the dealer to check. Since the dealer knows my car from the first week they don't have a problem with the tune. The Shop mgr feels they know what has been done to car and have been servicing the car since new. Just get to know your service Mgr, don't hide anything and they will work with you! That is if you have a good dealer!!

Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Any updates?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc View Post
I have a 2012 GT with a 93 race tune that I installed a week after buying the car new! I take my car in every 5000 miles for oil change and any work I need the dealer to check. Since the dealer knows my car from the first week they don't have a problem with the tune. The Shop mgr feels they know what has been done to car and have been servicing the car since new. Just get to know your service Mgr, don't hide anything and they will work with you! That is if you have a good dealer!!

So you've had engine warranty work done on your car? Like a new transmission or had the infamous engine tick serviced by the dealership? How do you 100% guarantee that this dealership and the service manager will work with you and get your car fixed despite any and all warranty voiding mods? Not trying to be a jerk but having a window rattle or a malfunctioning AC is completely different from power train issues.

The truth is the service manager may be cool with you and all your mods and may even act like everything you do to the car is peachy but everything is peachy to someone until you ask them to stick their necks out on the line. By trying to service a voided warranty, whereby if and when FoMoCo terminates their warranty service reimbursement program for lying on warranty service, and cost the dealership company thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars, and possibly lose his job, we will then see if he's truly ok with your mods.

Besides its not up to the adviser, service manager or even the dealership. It's ultimately up to FoMoCo whether or not warranty work is approved.

If you and the service manager successfully pull a fast one on FoMoCo it's an exception and not typically the Standard operating procedure. I would advise against nonchalantly advising others to do as they please if they would just befriend the service manager.

Although I agree with you it does help in many ways to be friends with all of them.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:32 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

^^^^ Very well stated ^^^^
Old 03-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
^^^^ Very well stated ^^^^
Yeah, my local dealer flat out told me they wouldn't work on my car if it had FRPP or aftermarket mods except my Roush axle back (don't know why they said that was ok). They said they didn't even want to get involved with trying to work on my car and trying to determine if its warranty or FRPP warrant blah blah blah. The service manager said that was the orders from the owner. I just found another dealer that would do the work if needed, so Im lucky in that respect.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry Bucko, my last comment was meant for DallasStang77

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT