5.0 idles better on 89 octane than 93? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
5.0 idles better on 89 octane than 93?

Hey guys. I have a 2011 5.0 and I notice when I filled up with 89 it ideles much smoother than if I use 93. It's not on any tunes. Stock right now aside from a airaid cai and cat back. It's a big enough difference where I wonder. And I want to upload my bama 93 race tune and take my cats off. Do you guys think once it's on a tune it will idel smoother? Thanks
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #2

Region: Georgia
From everything I gather unless you have a tune on your engine that requires 93 you should only be running 89 that's what the stock tune is set up to run on.
2011 5.0/ Air Raid cool air induction/Steeda Springs front and back/ Tokico D-Spec Adjustable front and back/Ford Racing 3.31 gears and Differential/ Off road X pipe with Ford GT 500 axle back mufflers. Mike Rousch/Mid Atlantic Performance Tuned Program.
CassiusClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I guess so. Maybe the winter blend has something to do with it too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiusClay View Post
From everything I gather unless you have a tune on your engine that requires 93 you should only be running 89 that's what the stock tune is set up to run on.
Where did you get that from? You can always run a higher octane than your tune is set for and it is recommended to run at least 91 on a stock mustang. Honestly should run the highest octane available at all times

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

I may not be a guru on the subject nor do I claim to be just trying to help a guy out and btw the car should run fine on 89. You don't have to act like a dbag
2011 5.0/ Air Raid cool air induction/Steeda Springs front and back/ Tokico D-Spec Adjustable front and back/Ford Racing 3.31 gears and Differential/ Off road X pipe with Ford GT 500 axle back mufflers. Mike Rousch/Mid Atlantic Performance Tuned Program.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiusClay View Post
I may not be a guru on the subject nor do I claim to be just trying to help a guy out and btw the car should run fine on 89. You don't have to act like a dbag
All I asked was where you got your info, not trying to be mean. If it noticeably idles poorly I would question the gas quality.
Op do you fill up at the same place all the time?

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #7

I personally put 93 in my GT my tune requires it but before that used 91 octane the only thing I said was that the car will run fine on 89 and yes you are correct the quality of the gas he used could have been better.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
All I asked was where you got your info, not trying to be mean. If it noticeably idles poorly I would question the gas quality.
Op do you fill up at the same place all the time?

No idea which part of your post was dbaggery. Some people are just sensitive maybe.

Either way I don't understand what's the point of running 89 vs 91/93. The price difference is like $0.10 or so right? Maybe $0.15? At least run 87 and save $0.20 or a quarter per gallon.

After 2000 gallons or about 153 full fill ups it'll save you enough for an exhaust costing about $500. That's approximately 36,000 miles at 18mpg or so.

I don't mean to be a dbag about it but seriously why skimp on gas on a 400HP+ car? You can save much much more gas and money by going Prius or even a Civic than trying to save ten cents a gallon going down to 89 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I don't think he was worried about money so much as the difference he felt in his idle.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
Hey guys. I have a 2011 5.0 and I notice when I filled up with 89 it ideles much smoother than if I use 93. It's not on any tunes. Stock right now aside from a airaid cai and cat back. It's a big enough difference where I wonder. And I want to upload my bama 93 race tune and take my cats off. Do you guys think once it's on a tune it will idel smoother? Thanks
Quote:
Yea I guess so. Maybe the winter blend has something to do with it too

Hey,

That's a good question and this is one that's been popping up pretty frequently as of recent and the fuels that's being distributed around this country right now isn't the greatest! On a side-note when's the last time you had a tune revision or datalog setup? Great rule of thumb is whatever tune you're running you should be using that fuel be it 89, 93 - I try to run 93 through my car 100% of the time but sometimes fuel isn't all that inexpensive! If you haven't had a set of new tunes in sometime let me know or shoot the Bama guys a call so they can get you set up with their new V2's!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Gotta run 93 all the time, I mean, afterall, we use all 420 HP the entire drive to and from work, right?
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
I don't think he was worried about money so much as the difference he felt in his idle.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

Well I'm not directly saying that he was trying to save money. I was just curious why anyone would consciously make a decision to put 87/89 octane rather than 91/93.

It is kinda weird if you have a rough idling car that you would put a lesser octane in it thinking it will help but I suppose in this case it did.

And in the words of CassiusClay, "You don't have to act like a dbag."

Just joking. There's no intentional dbaggery especially from me. Actually, no intentionally malicious dbaggery.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Well I'm not directly saying that he was trying to save money. I was just curious why anyone would consciously make a decision to put 87/89 octane rather than 91/93.

It is kinda weird if you have a rough idling car that you would put a lesser octane in it thinking it will help but I suppose in this case it did.

And in the words of CassiusClay, "You don't have to act like a dbag."

Just joking. There's no intentional dbaggery especially from me. Actually, no intentionally malicious dbaggery.

I hear ya lol. Mine gets 93 every time since I drove it off the lot.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
88 ethanol free for the last two years. Very lucky to still have a choice at a few stations near me. Same price as 91 E10 here, but no way I want corn liquor/food where gas should go. Stock, runs great on real gas....
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
I hear ya lol. Mine gets 93 every time since I drove it off the lot.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

Same here. I'm conditioning myself for my trackey

But seriously 93 is affordable right now. Why not. It's better for your car. Where are you getting your gas? I've noticed gas from "el cheapo" gas stations don't run as well as a name brand station. Not all of them but if I can get gas at shell, or BP over AM/PM or grocery store gas stations I will.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #16

I wasn't the one saying that I run 89 in my car I don't know why you are referring to me as the one that said that. if you actually read what I wrote, I always run 93 in my car.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The 5.0 has knock sensors that can bump or pull timing based on the gas it senses you have. So you can run anywhere between 87-93 just fine and the computer will compensate. Its not going to be anything like having an aftermarket tune for the car though.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I always use sunoco, and always used 93. I never noticed the Odell until I byaccidently put 89 in. And it ran really nice. I haven't tryed my bama sct x3 yet. But I think I will this weekend. Do I need to save my stock tune to my laptop before doing it?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
If it runs good on 89 then stay on 89 and don't use 93. Different cars run differently, and when it runs great on 89 there is no need to use 93, especially if it runs worse.
What you are saying is just the opposite for me and I have 14 with Airaid and tune for 91. When I put it back to stock tune the motor ran terrible, idle was not smooth, motor was not as responsive and could hardly get to 6500rpm without making the check engine light come on.....unfortunately we only have 91 and if I travel 150 miles south I can get 92...I'd love to have access to 93 and turn my tune up a notch. Right now I have a tune for 87, 91, and 93.
My car on tune is more responsive, idles better than the stock tune and will pull hard past 6500..........at least in my car.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yea but I have 93 octane tunes, and if I run 89 I'll have problems with detonation for obvious reasons. I ran the tank of 89 down till 1 mile until completely empty. And filled it with 93. I'm going to remove my cats this weekend and see how the 93 tune likes ny sunoco 93 octane. I'm praying it doesn't detonate, or run to much timeing
Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Yea but I have 93 octane tunes, and if I run 89 I'll have problems with detonation for obvious reasons. I ran the tank of 89 down till 1 mile until completely empty. And filled it with 93. I'm going to remove my cats this weekend and see how the 93 tune likes ny sunoco 93 octane. I'm praying it doesn't detonate, or run to much timeing
Don't worry too much man, there's a lot of technology built into that engine on your side.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Don't worry too much man, there's a lot of technology built into that engine on your side.
Thanks lol, good to know. I have a early build 2011 and I'm horrified of burning up #8
Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Ok, I didn't think you had any tuner for it.
By all means fill it with 93 and put the 93 tune into it. Although I'm not sure who's tune you have it wouldn't hurt to do some data logging when you hit the road without the CATs. I'm pretty sure that the 93 tune is going to run max timing. I talked to SCT when I first got my Mustang (14 TrakPak GT) and asked them if I could run the 93 tune on 91 octane............they told me I'd probably burn a piston or maybe worse. I just wish we had some 93 around here............I love to see the difference between the 91 and 93.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Not sure if this was posted, but it is most likely due to fuel quality. 93/91 is rarely used anymore in most DD cars. I have found on numerous occasions my car running like crap on 93 rather then 87, but this is due to the fuel quality. Basically, 87 grade fuel is turned over 5 times faster then 93 on most high frequency pumps. When I covered shifts at the BJ's gas station we would get 87 grade fuel deliveries 1,2 sometimes 3 times a day. The 91 tanks would be filled maybe once a week. Therefore people that swear by 93 really should be careful where you get your gas. If I feel like running 93 (now that I can get it in CT) I will go to a shell or other "top tier" gas station that seems well traveled. Being in CT with all these luxury cars gives me the advantage of having higher use 93 pumps. When I go to Maine and run premium is when I have issues.

The modern 5.0's will run fine on 87 or 89 and if you roll up to a shady gas station and have to get fuel, I would advise against getting premium as its probably been sitting for a very long while.

One note though, if you run a 93 tune I would be proactive in seeing who carries 93 in your area. If its not carried widely I would consider getting the 91 tune to be on the safe side.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

You are right and I guess I haven't thought about gas quality for so many years it just doesn't compute.
Many years ago I tried different gas stations, Shell, Arco, Union76, American....................and finally ended up using Chevron. At least on the West Coast, California, Oregon and Washington I will not go anywhere else. I have never had a bad fuel tank full of their gas and unfortunately in all three of these states 91 or 92 is it. In California you can get 101 unleaded gas at $8/9 per gallon. I had a real 68 Z28 and ran the best premium gas I could find in Oregon plus 112 racing fuel and cut it 50/50 so I didn't have to back off on the timing...........buy the a name brand gas and normally you won't have an issue.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
If it runs good on 89 then stay on 89 and don't use 93. Different cars run differently, and when it runs great on 89 there is no need to use 93, especially if it runs worse.
What you are saying is just the opposite for me and I have 14 with Airaid and tune for 91. When I put it back to stock tune the motor ran terrible, idle was not smooth, motor was not as responsive and could hardly get to 6500rpm without making the check engine light come on.....unfortunately we only have 91 and if I travel 150 miles south I can get 92...I'd love to have access to 93 and turn my tune up a notch. Right now I have a tune for 87, 91, and 93.
My car on tune is more responsive, idles better than the stock tune and will pull hard past 6500..........at least in my car.

If u return to stock tune and still have the AirAid without the venturi (whatever it's called) tube then it'll idle and run rough and will trip a CEL.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
If u return to stock tune and still have the AirAid without the venturi (whatever it's called) tube then it'll idle and run rough and will trip a CEL.

When I bought the car with 2700 miles it already had the CAI/tune and had no idea what would or could happen when I put it back to stock tune to warranty work done. After calling SCT Mo told me that a large percentage of Airaid users experience this lean condition on bank #1. I still have no idea if it has this tube or not, but suppose I should check. It runs great with the tune and when I add some headers/exhaust I'll probably get a more custom tune.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I bought the car with 2700 miles it already had the CAI/tune and had no idea what would or could happen when I put it back to stock tune to warranty work done. After calling SCT Mo told me that a large percentage of Airaid users experience this lean condition on bank #1. I still have no idea if it has this tube or not, but suppose I should check. It runs great with the tune and when I add some headers/exhaust I'll probably get a more custom tune.

Yeah the AirAid can be run with a tune or without a tune (as long as you have the inner venturi tube).

Without the tube you must run a tune.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
89 octane is actually more powerful than 93 octane. Because of this, the timing needs to be changed to prevent pre-ignition. When running a CAI with a tune you should run 91-93 octane to take advantage of the changes in the timing and to prevent possible damage. The stock ECU is programmed to use 89 octane and compensate using the sensors. I filled my tank with some 91octane gas from a Rebel staton here in Vegas in my CBR600 once and it ran like $'!t because it had water in it. I have never had any issues with gas from Chevron, in Nevada or Cali when I visit there.

Jd431x1f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Same here. I'm conditioning myself for my trackey

But seriously 93 is affordable right now. Why not. It's better for your car. Where are you getting your gas? I've noticed gas from "el cheapo" gas stations don't run as well as a name brand station. Not all of them but if I can get gas at shell, or BP over AM/PM or grocery store gas stations I will.

you know... I think that gas all comes from the same refinery... at the refinery you see all different tankers loading the same gasoline
dziba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziba191 View Post
you know... I think that gas all comes from the same refinery... at the refinery you see all different tankers loading the same gasoline
I have 2 refineries in my city [BP and Sunoco] a major pipline junction, and Marathon Depot. Base gasoline is the same, but each tanker has multi compartments in the rig, and the Fuel Company buying the Gas has specs for how the additives are added to each compartment mixed with the base. I have even been in UNoCo pipping stations as petroleum products are pipelined around the country. With this Keystone Pipeline debates, you would think folk dont know about the thousands of pipes run around the country. Old ones were reused as fiber-optic conduits.

All gas is the same is a old mans tale Unless you know the specs on the purchase order, how can you say thy are all loading the same gas?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd431x1f View Post
89 octane is actually more powerful than 93 octane. Because of this, the timing needs to be changed to prevent pre-ignition. When running a CAI with a tune you should run 91-93 octane to take advantage of the changes in the timing and to prevent possible damage. The stock ECU is programmed to use 89 octane and compensate using the sensors. I filled my tank with some 91octane gas from a Rebel staton here in Vegas in my CBR600 once and it ran like $'!t because it had water in it. I ave never had any issues with gas from Chevron, in Nevada or Cali when I visit there.

The stock ECU is designed to use premium products (~91-93) and recommend them. They put in fail safe devices to back timing off for folks that want cheap gas price and use 87. They learned that back in the old days to save cash, folks would put 92 (regular) in a hi-compression Motor made for Premium (97-98). The gas cap said back then "Premium Only" but during gas crisis folks burned up alot of hi-compression motor back then.

Ford new that regular Joes wold play with low octane gas, so they saved the higher Octane tunes for those that wold buy them extra under FRPP.
Part of my FRPP TrackKey Tune is a sticker on the Gas Inlet that says 91 only. But the TrackCal tuner lets you turn "learn octane to off and get more timing with 93 Octane. I have to travel south net month and plan to put the "learn octane to on" in case 91 is all I can get.

Edit: with the V6 at 10.5:1 and the 5.0 as 11:1 compression alot on the lower end of torque is still available to use. Besides Octane, they left out the lowend TRQ that in the Old Muscle-car days would cause rear ends to slide sideways into street poles. WIth the FRPP Track tune it adds a boatload of low ending timing giving you 60 foot pounds of extra Torque at 1500rpm. I need to get some MickyTs in the rear staggered now.

Its interesting also that Mopar 6.4 Hemi's keep the TRQ on Manuals down to 410 instead of the larger figure on the Auto that has Ecu management in it to slow shifts down.
Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd431x1f View Post
89 octane is actually more powerful than 93 octane. Because of this, the timing needs to be changed to prevent pre-ignition. When running a CAI with a tune you should run 91-93 octane to take advantage of the changes in the timing and to prevent possible damage. The stock ECU is programmed to use 89 octane and compensate using the sensors. I filled my tank with some 91octane gas from a Rebel staton here in Vegas in my CBR600 once and it ran like $'!t because it had water in it. I have never had any issues with gas from Chevron, in Nevada or Cali when I visit there.

Why is 89 more powerful than 93?
Old 03-16-2015, 01:34 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Why is 89 more powerful than 93?
It's not. The ECU is designed for 91-93, so peak power (the stock ratings) are using that. You lose around 10-15 HP and torque using lower than premium fuel because the ECU retards timing to prevent detonation.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:39 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
89 octane is more explosive than 91 or 93. Therefore it can't be compressed as highly as 93 with out detonating.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT