Well i guess i got the famous oil change tick... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Well i guess i got the famous oil change tick...

Not happy about this but i see its a very common problem. Some say it goes away after a couple hundred miles then comes back after the next oil change.....some say add a zinc additive to you oil and it quiets down..some say AC compressor and some say alot of other stuff, From what ive heard tho as its not harmful...its a tick tho some im iffy, Those who have taking theres to the dealer have either gotten "its normal dont worry" or " you new motor is finshied being installed" Anyone that can add some in sight here would be great

Not my car but same exact ticking noise go to 1:20
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sounds like a power stroke. Not cool
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Is that not just metal in the exhaust expanding/contracting? Sound the same as most any car when you shut it off after a drive and the exhaust is cooling.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

naw its ticking
Old 03-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Are you getting codes? Sounds like errant spark but it's new....
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
That kind of sounds like play in a pulley or loud injectors.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well i guess i got the famous oil change tick...

Same thing happens to me starting at my 30k mile oil change. Went away after about 500 miles. Just did my 35k oil change and it's back again. It doesn't do it much at idle but it does a good amount on low end rpms between around 1000-2500 rpms.

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axel back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstorm View Post
Not happy about this but i see its a very common problem. Some say it goes away after a couple hundred miles then comes back after the next oil change.....some say add a zinc additive to you oil and it quiets down..some say AC compressor and some say alot of other stuff, From what ive heard tho as its not harmful...its a tick tho some im iffy, Those who have taking theres to the dealer have either gotten "its normal dont worry" or " you new motor is finshied being installed" Anyone that can add some in sight here would be great

Not my car but same exact ticking noise go to 1:20
Geez that doesn't sound good. Sounds like maybe the fan is hitting the shroud when it comes on or maybe the fan motor is making the noise. Has to be something to do with the radiator fan since the ticking is only heard when it comes on.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it's starts at 120...that annoying ping...right after the oil change it started. ..mostly at idle for me...hope it goes away after a couple hundred miles
Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

easy enough to check where the noise is coming from

Find a very long screw driver. When the ticking stars just put one end against the fan shroud and the other against your ear. That should tell you exactly where the noise is and if it is the fan motor or something else.

They do sell stethoscopes at Harbor Freight that work better to finding noises. Or get one from the "SNAP ON" truck and pay quadruple.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sounds like Bad Cam Phasers to me. Wont hurt the car but makes it sound like crap.
Cam Phasers have 3 roll pins holding the parts to it together & the pins tend to shear off.
Even if you replace the phasers ... chances are it will happen again unless you use Cam Phaser Lockouts & that will cause you to lose a slight bit of top end power.
Use the Screwdriver & listen near the front end of the Valve covers to see if the noise is coming from there. If it is...it's the phasers. Some of the ticking is caused by the slack in the timing chain due to bad phasers. Occasionally, the plastic timing chain guide breaks also.
Also...I'm guessing that the 5.0's have the phasers. My 08 4.6 had the same type of noise.
I replaced the phasers but it sounds like the noise is starting to come back again after about a year.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Sounds like Bad Cam Phasers to me. Wont hurt the car but makes it sound like crap.
Cam Phasers have 3 roll pins holding the parts to it together & the pins tend to shear off.
Even if you replace the phasers ... chances are it will happen again unless you use Cam Phaser Lockouts & that will cause you to lose a slight bit of top end power.
Use the Screwdriver & listen near the front end of the Valve covers to see if the noise is coming from there. If it is...it's the phasers. Some of the ticking is caused by the slack in the timing chain due to bad phasers. Occasionally, the plastic timing chain guide breaks also.
Also...I'm guessing that the 5.0's have the phasers. My 08 4.6 had the same type of noise.
I replaced the phasers but it sounds like the noise is starting to come back again after about a year.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I hear the ticking but motor doesn't sound right to me looks all stock. Sounds like a slap almost. SHOP!!!!!
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
These engines are trying to communicate through morse code. With all of today's technology it would seem possible
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just got my second oil change today, no ticking. (wipes his brow and crosses his fingers)
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Why would oil changes initiate something with cam phasers and other stuff mentioned?

What do the cam phasers do?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #16

Region: Georgia
Yea that's a pretty weird tick I totally understand why that would worry you. especially if you haven't done anything major to the car and take pretty good care of it.
2011 5.0/ Air Raid cool air induction/Steeda Springs front and back/ Tokico D-Spec Adjustable front and back/Ford Racing 3.31 gears and Differential/ Off road X pipe with Ford GT 500 axle back mufflers. Mike Rousch/Mid Atlantic Performance Tuned Program.
CassiusClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #17

Region: Georgia
Just listened to it again on the video and it does sound like a slapping more than a ticking.
2011 5.0/ Air Raid cool air induction/Steeda Springs front and back/ Tokico D-Spec Adjustable front and back/Ford Racing 3.31 gears and Differential/ Off road X pipe with Ford GT 500 axle back mufflers. Mike Rousch/Mid Atlantic Performance Tuned Program.
CassiusClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

OP say's on the video

Fan comes on "TICKING NOISE STARTS"
Fan goes off "TICKING NOISE STOPS"
*************DUH ********************************

I know this is very difficult to find out what is making the noise.
It may be the transmission, or rear differential.
Battery ?
Flux Capacitor?

Anything but fan bearings.
Ronnie
Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It's the bottom end knock that starts at 120.... I way that's the fan
Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

You are 100% correct. It's your Mustang. The noise can be what ever you want it to be.
Sorry I was only trying to help you figure it out.
I'll leave you alone now.
Ronnie
Old 03-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Lol....
Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstorm View Post
Lol....
I had a scare today bro, I was driving my car and all of a sudden I heard a low hissing noise, sounding like air leaking out of a tired or something, short bursts of air sound,,,,,I thought I was getting a flat tire so I pulled off the road and walked around my car. Suddenly the sound stopped and I had no flat tires, Gawd I hope it wasn't the dreaded tick sound because I just got my oil changed yesterday. I have Roush axle backs so the noise was loud enough in the car to get past the exhaust sound.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Could be worse. . . I had a similar sound coming from my brand new Maxima at 4,000 miles after its first oil change. I ended up needing to have a new cylinder 1 bearing installed on a brand new car.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhgt View Post
Could be worse. . . I had a similar sound coming from my brand new Maxima at 4,000 miles after its first oil change. I ended up needing to have a new cylinder 1 bearing installed on a brand new car.
Yikes, well I hope that doesn't happen to me. I am very curious what that sound was. Maybe I went through some water with a hot exhaust, I don't know ugh.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You guys need to stop changing your oil... then these things wouldn't happen!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
I had a scare today bro, I was driving my car and all of a sudden I heard a low hissing noise, sounding like air leaking out of a tired or something, short bursts of air sound,,,,,I thought I was getting a flat tire so I pulled off the road and walked around my car. Suddenly the sound stopped and I had no flat tires, Gawd I hope it wasn't the dreaded tick sound because I just got my oil changed yesterday. I have Roush axle backs so the noise was loud enough in the car to get past the exhaust sound.
Yea i got axle backs to but if i go under a bridge or drive next to a wall i can still here that ticking , hope you dont get it it sucks
Old 03-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
You guys need to stop changing your oil... then these things wouldn't happen!
Great advice, not gonna change oil anymore, no chance for the dreaded tick, except for some main bearings going out lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT