2014 GT Vs. 2015 GT Mods - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
On the 15 GTs im pretty sure they come from the factory with a line lock so there's no way ford can void a warranty for using factory installed options.
You can use it.

Here's their catch 22.

Line lock is something that's really only safe (legally) on a track. They don't want people doing burn outs at a red light warming up their tires to drag race on the street. So legal dept has to say "closed track use only" or something like that. That said, true track use and/or competitive / professional racing does generally void warranties with most companies.

There are ways around that like the Porsche Club of America offers "High Performance Drivers Education" on road course tracks. So track use is "authorized" and most Porsche dealers even do free track inspection prior to those events. It's a great way for them to find something that's not 100% track ready... and anytime your brake fluid is over 6 months - 1 year you'll need to pay for that change.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
On the 15 GTs im pretty sure they come from the factory with a line lock so there's no way ford can void a warranty for using factory installed options.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I'm not sure if they all come with line-lock and track apps, but the Performance Package GT's that I've driven and seen all do, both automatic/manual trans.
I did pose that to my local Ford dealer (I've been dealing with them for over 6 months) and the sales manager just gave me "the look", the parts manager "laughed", and the service manager just said, "we'll see".
As for the CPU, kind of like a person........unplug the battery for 10 minutes......then plug it back in and the short term memory is gone.................along with all of the codes that have been stored.
olerodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
The 2014 is a sharper car exterior wise. But the 2015 has a nicer interior. Between the 2 I would definitely take the 14.
^ This.

I was in the same boat as you 1 year and 1 day ago. (picked up the Blue Beast™ on March 17th, 2014)

The 15's were right around the corner... but I REALLY liked the exterior look of the 14's. The pics of the 15's were not flattering me in the least, but I must admit they grew on my when I had the chance to see them in person.

For me, the perfect mustang would be a 14 exterior with a 15 interior. I REALLY like the interior in the 15's.

With that being said, the deal breaker for me on the 15's was the IRS.

I went through through the IRS woes (ridiculous wheel hop, weak half shafts) with my 99 Cobra and swore off mustangs with IRS. Granted, the 15's were designed from the ground up to have an IRS as opposed to the retrofit 99's... but still, I wasn't taking any chances. Solid axle for me!

I also managed to get a great deal on my 14 as the dealer was discounting AND there was a Ford discount incentive at the same time. Worked out great. March 17th really is my lucky day.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I think there is something in the warranty that talks about racing and abuse..................and it remains to be seen. Remember that the dealer is the one that is standing between you and Ford, and if they aren't on your side and fight for you..........then you are pretty much out in the cold.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #40
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

wanna bet?

neither of us know but yes, they can. As mentioned B4 alot is up to your dealer.

OP, get the car you prefer. Think of real estate and location, location, location. It's easy to mod it when parts come out but the starting points for 14/15 are very different.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

When I took a test drive in the 15GT Performance Pak, I got a 30 page brochure. In the GT section of the brochure it says that the "line lock" is standard equipment on the GT/GT Premium and can be activated using "Track Apps", which is also standard on the both GT's. In the brochure which I'm sure you've all seen they spend 10 half pages devoted to track, race, and sport modes of the 15 Mustang.............great marketing!?
Also it says the 3.73 gears are only available with the Performance Pak. Standard gears are 3.31 and optional is the 3.55.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
^ This.

I was in the same boat as you 1 year and 1 day ago. (picked up the Blue Beast™ on March 17th, 2014)

The 15's were right around the corner... but I REALLY liked the exterior look of the 14's. The pics of the 15's were not flattering me in the least, but I must admit they grew on my when I had the chance to see them in person.

For me, the perfect mustang would be a 14 exterior with a 15 interior. I REALLY like the interior in the 15's.

With that being said, the deal breaker for me on the 15's was the IRS.

I went through through the IRS woes (ridiculous wheel hop, weak half shafts) with my 99 Cobra and swore off mustangs with IRS. Granted, the 15's were designed from the ground up to have an IRS as opposed to the retrofit 99's... but still, I wasn't taking any chances. Solid axle for me!

I also managed to get a great deal on my 14 as the dealer was discounting AND there was a Ford discount incentive at the same time. Worked out great. March 17th really is my lucky day.
Boy do we ever agree! I ordered a new 2014GT premium. I knew I loved the 14's and wasn't sure about the looks of the 15. After the 15's were out I knew I made the right decision. But I too like the 15's interior better as well. As for the IRS no thanks. I like to hit the track for alittle bracket racing and the IRS won't do. Very happy 2014 owner.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Boy do we ever agree! I ordered a new 2014GT premium. I knew I loved the 14's and wasn't sure about the looks of the 15. After the 15's were out I knew I made the right decision. But I too like the 15's interior better as well. As for the IRS no thanks. I like to hit the track for alittle bracket racing and the IRS won't do. Very happy 2014 owner.
me too
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2014 GT Vs. 2015 GT Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I think there is something in the warranty that talks about racing and abuse..................and it remains to be seen. Remember that the dealer is the one that is standing between you and Ford, and if they aren't on your side and fight for you..........then you are pretty much out in the cold.

Big difference between racing and abusing your car. What I meant is that if the 15s come with a line lock and you use it to do a small burn out and you have issues. The can't say " you used a option we gave you so we're voiding your warranty. Not abuse is totally different.

But a lot depends on the middle man (dealer) but if the dealer is a bunch of idiots that doesn't make it right. I mean some people on here claim the dealer said axle backs would void a warranty...

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Big difference between racing and abusing your car. What I meant is that if the 15s come with a line lock and you use it to do a small burn out and you have issues. The can't say " you used a option we gave you so we're voiding your warranty. Not abuse is totally different.

But a lot depends on the middle man (dealer) but if the dealer is a bunch of idiots that doesn't make it right. I mean some people on here claim the dealer said axle backs would void a warranty...

Not just a lot depends on the dealer....................everything depends on the dealer. If he won't fight for your warranty claim if you toast a motor, trans, rear end................you are out of luck my friend, period.
Not sure where you are from on the East side of Rookies, but it sounds like the dealers in that part of the world are just out for your money and don't have a customer service bone in their body. Here on the Coast I think the dealers have a little different attitude, at least at my home town Ford dealer they do.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Not just a lot depends on the dealer....................everything depends on the dealer. If he won't fight for your warranty claim if you toast a motor, trans, rear end................you are out of luck my friend, period.
Not sure where you are from on the East side of Rookies, but it sounds like the dealers in that part of the world are just out for your money and don't have a customer service bone in their body. Here on the Coast I think the dealers have a little different attitude, at least at my home town Ford dealer they do.
I hate to say it but your completely wrong. If I buy a car at a Ford dealership and they turn around and say there voiding my warranty because I put rims or an axle back on the car I am not out of luck there are so many options such as...

1. Go to another Ford dealership. I've bought cars hundreds of miles from where I live and its amazing how somehow my local ford dealership still honors the warranty even if I didnt buy the car there. If you find a dealership that is unreasonable you can always go to other Ford dealerships and try to find one more reasonable.
2. If for some reason all the dealerships locally wont be reasonable you can always contact Ford directly. The warranty is through Ford not the dealership. If you take the car in for warranty work your dealership bills it to Ford. I've seen several forums as well where there are Ford reps that will step in and help customers as well.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I hate to say it but your completely wrong. If I buy a car at a Ford dealership and they turn around and say there voiding my warranty because I put rims or an axle back on the car I am not out of luck there are so many options such as...

1. Go to another Ford dealership. I've bought cars hundreds of miles from where I live and its amazing how somehow my local ford dealership still honors the warranty even if I didnt buy the car there. If you find a dealership that is unreasonable you can always go to other Ford dealerships and try to find one more reasonable.
2. If for some reason all the dealerships locally wont be reasonable you can always contact Ford directly. The warranty is through Ford not the dealership. If you take the car in for warranty work your dealership bills it to Ford. I've seen several forums as well where there are Ford reps that will step in and help customers as well.
I've been know to be wrong on occasion.......but this isn't one of those occasions.
Come on..........a new car dealer not honoring work under a new car warranty of wheels and mufflers..........get real.
A Ford dealer has to get authorization from Ford before they do any warranty work and Ford only gives the dealer a set amount of time to complete the work. So if the dealer feels it will cost more than Ford allows they may turn you down or say it's not covered under warranty for whatever reason.
Just for your information the dealer does not bill Ford for the work, the work is "flat rated" from Ford.....and that's all the dealer gets......period. Oh sure there are special cases, but 98% time that's the real world.
Yes, the warranty is through Ford, but the dealer purchases the car from Ford and is responsible for warranty work............not Ford.
Sure, you can try and chase down a Ford Representative, just remember they work for Ford, not the dealer.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
There are manufacturer reps that act as liaisons when warranty work is being denied or trying to be billed higher than what the manufacturer allows for whatever reason. I know my brother-in-law has been one for GM/Cadillac for over 20 years. He's over a region and steps in whenever there's an issue at a dealership and its up to him to decide if something is covered or not.

He has a lot of influence at all of the dealerships that he is "over". B/c he's like a judge, and attorneys want judges ready to do favors for them. His decisions affect mostly the BIG warranty issues, engines, transmission, repainting vehicles, etc..

The warranty is from the manufacturer. Warranty work is paid for by the manufacturer. There are certain things that are covered very easily by the manufacturer with out any back up documentation. You don't see it, b/c the dealership can just do the work and bill the manufacturer later.

Your dealership can wiggle around things and cover you for things that MIGHT be sketchy, IF they want to very easily for most small (low cost) issues. If its a known issue with the car, like paint pealing, ticking, etc... there would have been a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB, like a recall notice) that talks about fixes, procedures, etc.. But larger expenses need documentation, photos, sometimes part sent back for analysis, etc..

The dealership is just the front line.... of help (getting it covered easily) or defense (saying no). You can always elevate it to the regional manufacturer rep.

If the manufacturer rep says its covered your car is going to get fixed one way or another, if the dealership that you were dealing with was being a problem, they'll USUALLY change their mind, b/c they don't want the rep NOT on their side. As the next time they might want him to authorize something "iffy" for a good customer of theirs, he might be more inclined to say no. And there's always other dealerships who will gladly take the money that the manufacturer has authorized to pay for the fix.

P.S. Warranty work is usually at about break even cost wise. The manufacturer has preset rates (# of hours) allowed, which doesn't really allow the dealership to make any money on something. If a dealership can get you to pay for it instead of the manufacturer, they can make a lot more money on it. As they can bill you for nearly twice as much labor as the warranty negotiated (too low) rate.

Ex: Ford might allow 2 hours billable for a certain warranty coverage, the average time it takes tech to do it is probably about 3 hours, and if they were charging you out of pocket they'd charge you for 4 hours.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
There are manufacturer reps that act as liaisons when warranty work is being denied or trying to be billed higher than what the manufacturer allows for whatever reason. I know my brother-in-law has been one for GM/Cadillac for over 20 years. He's over a region and steps in whenever there's an issue at a dealership and its up to him to decide if something is covered or not.

He has a lot of influence at all of the dealerships that he is "over". B/c he's like a judge, and attorneys want judges ready to do favors for them. His decisions affect mostly the BIG warranty issues, engines, transmission, repainting vehicles, etc..

The warranty is from the manufacturer. Warranty work is paid for by the manufacturer. There are certain things that are covered very easily by the manufacturer with out any back up documentation. You don't see it, b/c the dealership can just do the work and bill the manufacturer later.

Your dealership can wiggle around things and cover you for things that MIGHT be sketchy, IF they want to very easily for most small (low cost) issues. If its a known issue with the car, like paint pealing, ticking, etc... there would have been a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB, like a recall notice) that talks about fixes, procedures, etc.. But larger expenses need documentation, photos, sometimes part sent back for analysis, etc..

The dealership is just the front line.... of help (getting it covered easily) or defense (saying no). You can always elevate it to the regional manufacturer rep.

If the manufacturer rep says its covered your car is going to get fixed one way or another, if the dealership that you were dealing with was being a problem, they'll USUALLY change their mind, b/c they don't want the rep NOT on their side. As the next time they might want him to authorize something "iffy" for a good customer of theirs, he might be more inclined to say no. And there's always other dealerships who will gladly take the money that the manufacturer has authorized to pay for the fix.
Well put.......hopefully you will get a Representative that is worth his/her salt.
It's a tangled web that is woven.
That's why it is so important to make "friends" with your dealer
not "enemy's".
Old 03-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
The 2014 is a sharper car exterior wise. But the 2015 has a nicer interior. Between the 2 I would definitely take the 14.
X2
AcmeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Go with the 2015
HP435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMustang3.7 View Post
That's how I am feeling too, but the '15 has the line-lock, lighter clutch and shorter factory shifts. And it's the newest one.
I put a Hurst linelock on my 2014. Easy to do, and Hurst makes a nice kit. All the lines are stainless and pre bent.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I really don't think the 2015 needs any motor mods.
HP435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I think you need to figure out the amount of money you'd be willing to put into the '15 right away. If you do the normal thing...buy a few mods, or even one at a time...I bet new mods will come out just in time for when you can afford them/want to buy them. As of now, figure out which body style you like better. I have a '14 but am really impressed by the new roushs. I know, it's tough!
christianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #55

Region: Texas
I'd like to say that I've figured out which I want, thanks to everyone's input. I've decided on going with the 2014 GT. mainly because of the body style and I just love the S197!

RedMustang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMustang3.7 View Post
I'd like to say that I've figured out which I want, thanks to everyone's input. I've decided on going with the 2014 GT. mainly because of the body style and I just love the S197!

That'a boy! Lol, good choice.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

First mod ideas?
Old 04-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Yes

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT