Fuel leaking onto muffler? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Fuel leaking onto muffler?

For the record I searched for this on google and I also tried the ME search function.

I was filling my car up at the pump today for the first time after my car was rear ended and I noticed that there was fuel leaking onto my driver-side muffler out of some sort of fuel line. No idea why or how but it was definitely fuel leaking onto my muffler. It started happening when I was around 3/4 of a tank and i had to stop fueling. I have never had this happen to me before and I'm assuming it has something to do with the car accident/ repair the body shop did but that's just me assuming. I have no idea what's causing it. So I don't know if this is normal or not but to me its a hell of big problem. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Dealership now!

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Is there some type of relief valve on the tank? Mine does this but only if it's over filled and it's not on the muffler though. I have a 14 GT

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
They forgot to reattach the overflow or an Evap line. Guess what? Now you get to be a dick to that Ahole who doesn't know anything about customer service. I would sit there and watch them take it apart and find the issue as they will no doubt try to make light of it and or make it seem like they did nothing wrong. Document everything with pictures. You might have just hit the small time lotto they are lucky they didn't burn your car to the ground.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
They forgot to reattach the overflow or an Evap line. Guess what? Now you get to be a dick to that Ahole who doesn't know anything about customer service. I would sit there and watch them take it apart and find the issue as they will no doubt try to make light of it and or make it seem like they did nothing wrong. Document everything with pictures. You might have just hit the small time lotto they are lucky they didn't burn your car to the ground.
+1000000

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They forgot to reattach the overflow or an Evap line.
Are you sure that's what it is? Sounds legit to me.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWoody View Post
Are you sure that's what it is? Sounds legit to me.

That's my guess. I've been wrong before but I can't imagine what else it could be. I also can't think of any thing else in that area that would cause that.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Yeah take it back ASAP. That's dangerous you don't want car ba que
Old 03-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hahahaha. Clever^.

I'm about to call the dealership and see how they handle it. They've already given me terrible customer service. If they handle it well then I won't have to call Fomoco directly.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Update: I called and talked to the dealership and I told them what had happened and the first guy I talked to was the body shop estimater and he told me that if I drive the car back up there that they would look at it. I told him I wasn't comfortable driving up there with fuel leaking onto my exhaust and he told me that I needed to call a tow truck then. I informed him that I wasn't going to foot the bill for a tow truck seeing as how I didn't have this problem before and now after they worked on my car I'm having the issue. So he transferred me to the manager of the body shop and the manager told me the same exact thing. After about 10 minutes talking with him he said that he would pay for the tow truck but that I should be aware that if they can't prove that they were the ones that caused my issue that I would be reimbursing them the cost of the tow truck plus any shop/labor fees. Garbage customer service from start to finish.

So I called 1-800-392-3673 and spoke with the customer satisfaction representative. I told her the whole entire story from start to finish about how they worked on my car and how I gave a negative review on the satisfaction survey. And how a manager called me on my cell phone and was really rude and ****ty with me the whole time and how he got off the phone by telling me that he hopes he never sees me again. And this whole fuel issue and the body shop guy being a dick about it. I flat out told her that I feel like they don't value my business and that if they want to continue to treat a customer that way that I'll take my business elsewhere. She told me that she was going to email a complaint to the dealership manager but that's all that they can do for me. I even asked her if there was anything that they could do for me for my troubles. She informed me that Ford has an oil change special for $29.99 after a $10 mail in rebate in effect until the end of March.

You have a multibillion dollar company and you can't even offer me a F-ing oil change? Which for the record I just hit 3,000 miles on my car so I won't be due for one for quite some time. It was the fact that she pretty much told me to kick rocks and didn't care if I took my business elsewhere.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Wow. That's all I can say
Old 03-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sounds about right... Sadly ford's dealerships and customer service has left a lot to be desired. I purchased a brand new f150 in 2010 and a new 2014 mustang gt in 2014 and have been treated poorly by multiple dealerships on both vehicles.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Sounds about right... Sadly ford's dealerships and customer service has left a lot to be desired. I purchased a brand new f150 in 2010 and a new 2014 mustang gt in 2014 and have been treated poorly by multiple dealerships on both vehicles.

The mustang is quite possibly my last ford purchase. Now Toyota knows how to treat a customer.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 03-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Better than GM Recalls though
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Why not just have it towed under the Ford Roadside Assistance? That would certainly qualify.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Why not just have it towed under the Ford Roadside Assistance? That would certainly qualify.

Smart idea

Rollin' in my 5.0
Old 03-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna call a different dealership and see if they can take it in. Autonation Ford Gulf Freeway is terrible. I will never go back there. The roadside assistance will cover it. I asked the customer service lady and she confirmed it. I'm just blown away that they don't give a Damn. Isn't there a lady on ME who works for Ford? I'd like to talk to her.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

This is NOT a picture of my car. I found this picture on Google. I'm pretty positive it looks like the same thing though. It has been raining the last several days here otherwise I'd walk my butt outside and take a picture of my own car. I looked at this picture for a while and it's looking more and more like an overflow or a vent maybe? Maybe that's just wishful thinking. But if that is the case, that doesn't make sense to me. The fuel was coming out of the hose super slow so it definitely didn't burp the tank and it never got above 3/4 of a tank so I doubt it would be an overflow..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426207754159.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	177279  
Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
If it caught on fire, the hoses would have burned up in the fire, nothing then would be pointing at the dealership.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Except the fact that it was just serviced by them a few weeks ago for damage in that area and the car has 3k on the clock. I admit it wouldn't be fun to fight it but I think at the end of the day he could win that battle. But his car isn't going to burn to the ground. And it would be pretty easy to prove right now that they were negligent.

OP, the only other thing I can see happening here is that the damage was caused in the accident but never discovered as it hasn't been fueled since then. But they should have inspected these areas before reassembly. Hopefully you get it sorted out and if nothing else get an apology from these clowns. I'm embarrassed for them.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Go over to allfordmustangs.com and thread your issue and PM Deysha she is the FMC customer Support Rep. And she gets results.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Except the fact that it was just serviced by them a few weeks ago for damage in that area and the car has 3k on the clock. I admit it wouldn't be fun to fight it but I think at the end of the day he could win that battle. But his car isn't going to burn to the ground. And it would be pretty easy to prove right now that they were negligent.

OP, the only other thing I can see happening here is that the damage was caused in the accident but never discovered as it hasn't been fueled since then. But they should have inspected these areas before reassembly. Hopefully you get it sorted out and if nothing else get an apology from these clowns. I'm embarrassed for them.
I didn't really clarify in my initial post. I did fuel the car once after the accident but before the body shop. I didn't notice it at that time and it seems damn near impossible for me to overlook something like that. It was enough fuel that I could hear it pouring onto the ground under my car and there was a very intense gasoline smell. So very doubtful to overlook something like that. Does anyone else have a fuel line sticking out like that under their driver side above the muffler?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't really clarify in my initial post. I did fuel the car once after the accident but before the body shop. I didn't notice it at that time and it seems damn near impossible for me to overlook something like that. It was enough fuel that I could hear it pouring onto the ground under my car and there was a very intense gasoline smell. So very doubtful to overlook something like that. Does anyone else have a fuel line sticking out like that under their driver side above the muffler?
Go over to allfordmustangs.com and thread your issue and PM Deysha she is the FMC customer Support Rep. And she gets results.
___

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
___
YES! That's who I was looking for. Thanks man.

And I was able to take a picture of that fuel line on my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426217679128.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	177287  
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Yeah this was my first ford ever and it will be my last. Going back to imports.

Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Is there some type of relief valve on the tank? Mine does this but only if it's over filled and it's not on the muffler though. I have a 14 GT

Always stop pumping gas when the gas nozzle clicks off the first time!

Folks that "top off" force fuel to settle in the fuel fill tube, and this in turn will slosh into the evap charcoal canister, and eventually it fails in its ability to capture the gas tank fumes it is meant to do. It then will set a CEL code, and they an't cheap to purchase!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
___
I don't think this will help, as it appears this was caused by his accident, and needs to go back for repair. The insurance agent adjuster needs to be contacted so that this can be covered under the insurance repair.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Of course you are correct, Your Insurance Company is the place to start

Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #29
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Have you called the 800# to AutoNation? I've had horrible experiences with that whole chain.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
This is NOT a picture of my car. I found this picture on Google. I'm pretty positive it looks like the same thing though. It has been raining the last several days here otherwise I'd walk my butt outside and take a picture of my own car. I looked at this picture for a while and it's looking more and more like an overflow or a vent maybe? Maybe that's just wishful thinking. But if that is the case, that doesn't make sense to me. The fuel was coming out of the hose super slow so it definitely didn't burp the tank and it never got above 3/4 of a tank so I doubt it would be an overflow..
I had my 14 on jack stands trying to chase down a clunking noise after I installed my LCA's.............this looks exactly like mine, and although I didn't cut the zip ties to see where it was coming from that plastic sleeve is covering the gas tube from the filler to the tank. In mine it's not directly pointing at the muffler, but it's close. I always try and top off my tank and I've never seen mine spill any fluid.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

That's weird but definitely good to know. Autonation Ford AND FOMOCO customer service pretty much flat out told me to go F myself so I'm glad I don't have to deal with them. I even sent a PM to DEYSHA last week and I haven't heard a word back yet. I still think she'll come around though. I've seen several hundred posts where she's helped people out in similar circumstances where their dealership has told them to kick rocks.

For the life of me though I just can't figure out why the hell that fuel hose is,cut right there. Like even if it's from the factory that's straight from the tank onto the muffler. How stupid do you have to be to not realize how much of a dangerous thing/ lawsuit that is? Big time F-up in my opinion...
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #32
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
That's weird but definitely good to know. Autonation Ford AND FOMOCO customer service pretty much flat out told me to go F myself so I'm glad I don't have to deal with them. I even sent a PM to DEYSHA last week and I haven't heard a word back yet. I still think she'll come around though. I've seen several hundred posts where she's helped people out in similar circumstances where their dealership has told them to kick rocks.

For the life of me though I just can't figure out why the hell that fuel hose is,cut right there. Like even if it's from the factory that's straight from the tank onto the muffler. How stupid do you have to be to not realize how much of a dangerous thing/ lawsuit that is? Big time F-up in my opinion...

Are you on Twitter? Tweet @Ford service
Old 03-17-2015, 01:01 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
First, Ford is not going to, nor should they, do anything. This is strictly an insurance deal. Second, the area you are in is full of incompetent and I don't give a carp people. I have spent much time around there. I found the stores are filthy and the service personnel ignore you. Finally, never go to places like AutoNation and expect any service after the sale. And Texas is one of the worse because the car dealers have the laws written so they have a license to steal. I wish I could give you encouragement, but you are in the military and in areas like that, you are nothing but a target to the locals.

Tell the insurance company that the car was not repaired properly, and it is unsafe. They should be responsible for you having a replacement vehicle until it is fixed. That being said, a mechanic should only take a few minutes to fix the problem unless the tank has damage. Finding a good, honest mechanic around there is the problem.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT