cai and exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #1

cai and exhaust

So I just bought a 2014 5.0 last week and I've been shopping around for some bolt on parts and figured I'd start with a cai and exhaust but would kind of like some advice before I actually purchase anything so I'm just curious what you guys would recommend.

Thanks
dwill265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Won't really gain anything with a cold air intake. You could go the cobra jet route... cobra jet intake manifold. Cobra jet throttle body. Then add a cold air intake wth a tune and some long tubes. You would probably be around 430whp depending on dyno and your car and air temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #3

ive kinda been thinking about sticking with roush parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 12:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Put on some Roush axle backs and enjoy for a few months. Make sure you're aware just how much louder it's going to be, but it's a good thing. Skip the hot air intake. They're a waste of money and don't provide anything except something to look at during the brief times your hood is open and you're trying to impress someone that doesn't know anything about motors. The factory airbox is a CAI and provides great airflow.
Use that money instead for a Ford Track Key if you have a manual. Or some other visual mods that make it your own, like wheels, new hood, different spoiler.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Get rid of the cats and you will see some power along with a tune that you would need. If you can get long tube headers to get even more. If you have emission stuff to pass look around for someone that will still pass you for your inspection.

2011 Kona blue GT.
kona stang707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #6

What exactly does the ford track key do?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The Steeda CAI & tune have had some great results:

Steeda 2011-14 Manual Mustang Power Pack - Made in USA 555-3935 - Free Shipping!

We also have the Steeda Axle Back Exhaust -

Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust - Made in USA 515-STEEDA-11 - Free Shipping!

Let me know if you would like me to put a forum package together for you ... you can reach me at tim@steeda.com!

Best Regards,

TJ[COLOR="Silver"]
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Yeah the mustang is a special car unlike any other in the world in that it won't make any more power with less intake restriction. Ford spent 200 bucks per live axle on the 5.0 to save budgeting for their amazing factory box that is built with a similar premise to that of the 2006-2011 civic si's.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

K&N 63-2578 claims 20 HP @ 5400 RPM and 26lbft @ 4600 RPM. No tune required.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k-and-n.GIF
Views:	101
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	177816  
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
^^BS. Don't buy into the hype.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So I'm in the same boat as dwill265, I have a 2014 GT with track package that i bougth about a year ago, havent done anything yet, but now i'm looking at some bolt-on mods.

I have never heard, until now, that after market intakes for this particular car would be a waste of money! So what do you guys make of all of the intake plus tune packages? would someone see similar results with just a tune on the factor cold air box?

I also forgot to ask... I know that a cat back will obviously make more power than just an axle back.. but once again is one really required to make power if you have a tunner?
noxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxim View Post
So what do you guys make of all of the intake plus tune packages?
Typically those packages require a tune because the included CAI manufacturer has chosen to increase tube diameter in order to increase air intake. This is problematic because the MAF is basing it's calculations based on the assumption the intake tube is the stock diameter. As soon as the tube diameter is changed the MAF readings will be wrong. The tune will correct this.

Quote:
would someone see similar results with just a tune on the factor cold air box?
Not sure if the results will be similar. However, I do keep reading from various sources that Ford left performance on the table that can be brought out by a tune.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have never heard, until now, that after market intakes for this particular car would be a waste of money! So what do you guys make of all of the intake plus tune packages? would someone see similar results with just a tune on the factor cold air box?

I also forgot to ask... I know that a cat back will obviously make more power than just an axle back.. but once again is one really required to make power if you have a tunner?
Aftermarket CAI will not show any gains.

No gains as well from a catback OR axleback. Neither require a tune.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

An aftermarket Hot Air intake is included in "Tune packages" because it LOOKS cool (to some people) and it LOOKS like your motor is now on steroids. It's a waste of money. There are Tons of motor and intake garbage that look cool but do nothing, because there are plenty of dumb asses in this world.

The Ford Track Key is a tune, and comes with a red key where when you use that key instead, you drive the tuned version. Insert regular key, regular stock tune.
made by Ford Racing, keep your warranty (if installed at dealership)
Old 03-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So, not to argue... because I really I don't have a dog in this fight....

BUT...

To say that an aftermarket CAI will not show any gains is an incorrect statement.

I think to say that an aftermarket CAI will not net any substantial gains would be closer to accurate. Even with that, one could argue on the definition of substantial.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

And you're NOT pulling in cold air. You'll actually see hotter oily dank swamp air now going in, bathing your MAF in all sorts of nastiness From your "pre oiled" filter.
Just adding aftermarket intake cause gains? No. But maybe adding one with a new manifold, tune, headers...yes.
And stand by for your new dash light called CEL.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
So, not to argue... because I really I don't have a dog in this fight....

BUT...

To say that an aftermarket CAI will not show any gains is an incorrect statement.

I think to say that an aftermarket CAI will not net any substantial gains would be closer to accurate. Even with that, one could argue on the definition of substantial.
I'm saying it. I along with a few others tested most of them at the track and came to the conclusion the stock one worked the best.

What testing have you done to back up any claims?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I'm saying it. I along with a few others tested most of them at the track and came to the conclusion the stock one worked the best.

What testing have you done to back up any claims?
I personally haven't done any dyno testing, hence why I claimed I don't really have a dog in this fight.

I have read reports from track goers who had come to the conclusion that the stock airbox is much more efficient at combating heat soak than a CAI.

I also agree that most CAI's are actually Hot Air Intakes, however, not all CAI's are built the same.

A CAI doesn't have to be an open air design, it can still draw from the front of the vehicle like the stock snorkel does.

To blatantly plagiarize from a post I ran across on another forum:

Quote:
what is the point of a CAI?
- flow more air -- meaning less resistance
- make sure the air is cold -- meaning take air from outside the engine compartment, or a relatively cool area

how do you flow more air / reduce resistance?
- open the air box -- remove the resistance of the small inlet to the box (this does not require a tune)
- increase the size of the filter -- more filter area means less resistance (this does not require a tune)
- reduce bends and kinks in the intake (does not require a tune)
- increase the diameter of the MAF tube -- this is a relatively small affect since the diameter of the tube is not a big source of resistance, and it is the only change that requires a tune

how do you get cold air?
- take air from outside the car, from the grill area on later models or from the wheel well, or from the top of the grill below the hood (this does not require a tune)
- do NOT place the intake in the back of the engine compartment where the heat builds up

So, you can see that something like 4 out of 5 improvements do NOT require a tune.

Does a bigger MAF tube let if flow even more air? Sure, but that does not mean the other 4 improvements are worthless.
However, what I find interesting is if you review the dyno results from K&N, the highest HP numbers were achieved with the lid OFF.

Again though, this was on a stand still dyno and not a 100+ degree race track.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
That's because the hood is open, and you are literally blowing cold air into it.

That does not happen on the street.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
I personally haven't done any dyno testing, hence why I claimed I don't really have a dog in this fight.

I have read reports from track goers who had come to the conclusion that the stock airbox is much more efficient at combating heat soak than a CAI.

I also agree that most CAI's are actually Hot Air Intakes, however, not all CAI's are built the same.

A CAI doesn't have to be an open air design, it can still draw from the front of the vehicle like the stock snorkel does.

To blatantly plagiarize from a post I ran across on another forum:

However, what I find interesting is if you review the dyno results from K&N, the highest HP numbers were achieved with the lid OFF.

Again though, this was on a stand still dyno and not a 100+ degree race track.

And with the hood wide open. So if u want to max the net gains of a CAI then you'll have to just drive around with your hood off.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Just get a tune for now, see what you gained, then turn around and get an intake and tune for that intake and see your gains again. It won't be 20 but it's still worth it and you will still see them like I did. It works on other cars and it will on this one too. Ps, dyno with you hood closed but ensure you have a fan in the front even though that is alot less breeze than when you're driving. As I stated in another thread though, if you're sitting in staging, the iat will rise, that is true. When I'm cruising around town however, they're usually 2*> ambient.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Mine has issues with water gets in the air filter, don't make the same mistake...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Mine has issues with water gets in the air filter, don't make the same mistake...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
What type of intake are you running?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #25

Does roush not offer a cat back exhaust for the 14 5.0? All I can find is axle back..
Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwill265 View Post
Does roush not offer a cat back exhaust for the 14 5.0? All I can find is axle back..
No they do not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

they do not but their axle backs sounds INSANE!! I love mine!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai, exhaust