Opinions between Driveshaft Shop and Dynotech 1 piece - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Oh, ok.
If you look at the SM site they actually show their driveshaft being tested to failure which was 4000lbft....I think. Most driveline manufactures that I have bought from (I mentioned them earlier) to the same test.............so as far as raw material and testing procedures they don't vary enough to worry about. At least this is my experience.
Agree!
Just saying that although the failure may have been at 4000 lb ft they don't rate at 4000 but rather a much lower value due to required safety factors, etc.
So comparing their failure values would be a reasonable approach OR comparing their rated values would be a reasonable approach. Just can't compare the 4000# failure to say Steeda's 2450 ft.lbs torque rating. That's what I was trying to say.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #37

Region: Minnesota
A vote for Shaftmaster's here.
RaceRed2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Agree!
Just saying that although the failure may have been at 4000 lb ft they don't rate at 4000 but rather a much lower value due to required safety factors, etc.
So comparing their failure values would be a reasonable approach OR comparing their rated values would be a reasonable approach. Just can't compare the 4000# failure to say Steeda's 2450 ft.lbs torque rating. That's what I was trying to say.
Ok, I agree and since I'm a retired mechanical engineer I look at factual data, not claimed data. Anyone can say anything, factual data can support or deny the perceived claimed data....IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Had my 14 up on stands this past weekend and I don't have a clunk or slack when I turn the drive shaft back an forth. My car has less than 7k miles.
I wouldn't be going back to that dealer.
All rear ends have lash. I said to twist (rotate) the drive shaft. If you can't detect a slight clunk your rear is very tight. LOL. By the way did you have your transmission in neutral??
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
All rear ends have lash. I said to twist (rotate) the drive shaft. If you can't detect a slight clunk your rear is very tight. LOL
Ok, sorry I didn't mean to say there was non, yes but it's not a lot.
How much lash are you talking about?
The only precise way of checking run-out in the pinion and ring gear is with a dial indicator.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

True enough. But over the years you can just tell. By the way I am 68. I guess I have a bit of experience. I just assume everyone here is smarter then me.
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I installed an aluminum driveshaft on my GT and it was the best decision I ever made. It was one of those things I always wanted to do when I had a 99 Cobra, but didn't have enough money at the time. (much younger back then)

Anywho, the drive train feels so snappy, smooth, tight, and responsiver now and the clunk is gone. I also installed J&M Extreme Joint Rear LCA's and Steeda Torque Box Frame Rail braces within a close period so the rear end really tightened up a lot.

The one I bought from AM, Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft (11-14 GT, BOSS) - Free Shipping they don't carry anymore. Not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.

One thing I will mention though... if I had to do it all over again, I would make sure and get one of the 3 1/2 inch aluminum driveshafts as opposed to the 4 incher. Although, come to think of it, I don't think they had 3 1/2 inch aluminum ones at the time.

Between the added diameter from the X-pipe and the driveshaft, things are TIGHT under there... and when I say tight... just.. take my word for it. The bolts from the Blowfish racing shifter bracket are within millimeters of the driveshaft.

And when the car is up on a lift and the suspension is fully uncompressed, the driveshaft is within millimeters of hitting some other stuff under there.

There have been no vibration problems, but I did pick up some NVH at exactly 70mph... It's hard to describe.. sounds like someone constantly striking a tuning fork.. really annoying.. but it quickly goes away if I drop to 69mph or accelerate to 71mph.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed2014 View Post
A vote for Shaftmaster's here.
+1

I installed mine a couple of months ago. High quality, no adapter flange, no extra noise or vibrations. Pretty sure its quieter / smoother than stock.

Definitely had a seat of pants dyno faster / more responsive feel.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #44
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
True enough. But over the years you can just tell. By the way I am 68. I guess I have a bit of experience. I just assume everyone here is smarter then me.
Yes, it's kind of touch/feel thing...............I've got you by a few years.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The link has lots of good reading and proof in some cases to back it up. It's up to the individual to decide in the long run.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the stock unit. Especially considering the cost of these things.
For me, $600 at Shaftmasters was money well spent. I think $ per hp (supposedly freed up and dyno proven) are a little low, but there's a lot more to it than just hp. The engine feels lighter easier to rev up, change speed.

I know you're not going to like my seat of pants dyno as back up..
I believe (I know its not factual), but this is the order of difference made to feel / driving experience increase of the car:

1. Alum. Driveshaft - $600 (claimed +14hp, 0.2 faster 1/4 mile)
2. Lightweight wheels - $2,200 (almost 40 lbs lighter than stock)
3. ProCal Tune - $300 (+16hp)

Granted my tune is only the Ford Racing one. But if you extrapolate the performance increase due to less rotational mass and/or unsprung mass, etc.. the 3 mods are probably all in the same range of equivalent 15-18hp.

The first 2 mods had just as much seat of pants increase in acceleration and when you factor in the better "feel" of the car they're actually higher rated for me. The car just feels "smoother" more responsive ( lighter), especially at high speeds. Where the tune, feels like it just increased the low end torque to break wheels free easier.

Now some people would rather a 900 hp brick that can rock down a 1/4 mile in a straight line well, but not do much else well. But for me a car that feels lighter, easier to brake, handle turns better, etc... all of that is more important than raw acceleration.

Thing is there's no car that really does everything well at a reasonable price and gives me back seats so I can drive it more often to pick up kids, etc.. too.

The closest FOR me might be the new 400 hp 4 seat Lotus. I'd buy an Arial Atom if it had back seats & a roof!! lol
Old 03-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have the Dynotech 1pc and love it. Great DS and the added aluminum CV adapter has been great. No vibrations at all and it is a quality shaft. The 3.5" design gives you plenty of clearance compared to a 4" shaft

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Has anyone seen the ford racing units for these cars? The only pic I saw that was for sale(can't remember where now), the pic has a slip yoke on the tranny end just like the old ones. Obviously not a real representative pic but still. Anyone tried it yet?

Oh yeah, I saw Lethal Performance has them for $699 with an ETA of TBD. But a place called FordRacingPartsbyDonWood has them for $566. And that site looks like they are ready to ship.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSEDAWG29 View Post
Has anyone seen the ford racing units for these cars? The only pic I saw that was for sale(can't remember where now), the pic has a slip yoke on the tranny end just like the old ones. Obviously not a real representative pic but still. Anyone tried it yet?

Oh yeah, I saw Lethal Performance has them for $699 with an ETA of TBD. But a place called FordRacingPartsbyDonWood has them for $566. And that site looks like they are ready to ship.
Part # M-4602-MGTM - 2011 to 2014 Manual coyotes only. (will not fit automatics)

2011-2014 One-Piece Mustang Gt Driveshaft M-4602-MGTM - FordRacingPartsByDonWood.com

$566.10 + shipping.

The Shaftmaster's that I bought was $599 shipped.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I have the Shaftmasters. Great unit.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Not like it's a ton of money but I think shaft masters are $625 shipped now.
MOOSEDAWG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I'm also debating on which one to buy myself b

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Doing a Dynotech swap now. Started last night just before 2200 and just my luck realized a 2 hour job will probably be 3 or 4 as usual.

My first impression is, the instructions suck! Very vague, was happy to get a torque setting out of it.

The stock shaft came out aft end first, then the front. I tried to install the front end of the new shaft first, but couldn't get the aft end inside the flange. So I took it out and stuck the aft end in and started the bolts, then I found that the front end wouldn't go in without dropping the trans crossmember. So that's where I left it last night.

Going back at it again today.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My aluminum drive shaft fit perfect and easy to install

AXLE EXCHANGE for my 2012 3.7 V6 automatic.
It came ready to install.
The mechanic (Dave) had the stock one out and the aluminum Axle Exchange installed in a little less then an hour.
All nuts were loctitighed and torqued with a torque wrench.

It has been perfect right from the day it was installed, No more clunk, No vibration at all, The car actually slows down when you let off the gas. It is way much lighter then the stock one.

It was a little over $700.00 installed and well worth the extra $$$$ because I just don't need the grief you get when trying to save a buck or two.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080042.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	963.4 KB
ID:	181144  
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie, I might not be as old as you, but as long as I'm young at 41 years of age and capable I'll usually accept the challenge and refrain from giving up and paying someone else to do a job. It's a pride in ownership thing.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Shaft Masters here they buy AL in USA make it test it and that's what they do drive shafts. Any time you can call a company and talk to a owner or designer that good for me. Example MGW. SM. Good price good product ease of install.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Compstall

I love to do work on my Mustang, But the problem anymore for me is the souvenirs I brought home from Indo-China make it impossible.
Up until a few years ago I could do it all. I rode my Harley across country three times, Drove manual transmissions, Did a lot of tracking, Change my own oil,
I was lucky to have done things I should not have been able to do. I sure miss doing stuff.
I'm 72 now with my fifteen year old brain and since the C.O.P.D and my bouts with cancer I just don't have the stamina I need to do anything. The Prostate cancer is pretty well gone but the Bladder cancer is what I contend with now. I'm not to bend over, Not carry over ten pounds, I have a hard time laying on my back because of the Lung damage.
I'm just happy I can still drive without putting other peoples lives in danger.
I'm not about to give up enjoying my Mustang and what I can't do, I just have to pay someone to do it for me.
Of course I could get some guys from one of my clubs to do the drive shaft for pizza & beer and that would have been fun, But at $700.00 installed including the Florida sales tax, """WHY"""
I love a manual transmission but I'm stuck with the automatic and it is still way better then no Mustang at all.
I still have my pride of ownership because I do have my Mustang "MY WAY" I'm not about to move to a "BUICK" yet.
Ronnie
Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I just now starting to feel the pain of working on the cars. Eventually I'll cave in. Concrete floors really suck the life outta doing things.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Hmmm after reading this entire thread I have added this mod to my list of things I must spend my money on. Lol. Damnit all to hell. I believe I will be looking for the Steeda unit, bet you didn't see that one coming.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Shatmasters fit perfect. Easy install. They even send you the proper socket for the bolts. A tap to clean the threads and locktite for the bolts. Was really impressed with the whole package. I ve had it up to 120 mph and its silky smooth. They also have the best price I have found.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm sold on getting a new shaft, too. Increased responsiveness, better acceleration and maybe a hint of mpg increase? That all sounds great to me.

Since some of them come with additional work to do and some don't, I'm not quite sure of the benefit of the adapter. Actually, I'm pretty technical and I'm not even sure what that thing is. Are they trying to overcome a weakness from the diff? Can anyone explain it, please?
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #61
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I can't say for other brands

My aluminum drive shaft came from "AXLE EXCHANGE" They make them for "FORD RACING" so they can't be too bad. They come for the 3.7 V6 automatic complete bolt on. All you need to do is remove the old and stick on the new.
People do this on Jack Stands but it would be way much better to have a lift available.

I have heard that "AXLE EXCHANGE" also made them for steeda but I don't know for sure. Maybe a call to them would help if you decide to go for theirs.
Ronnie
Old 05-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #62
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSEDAWG29 View Post
...There is a gun store here near me that barely marks all the guns up and just sells the ever loving ***** out of them. And they make a lot of money. Go somewhere else and they are easily $100 more minimum...
Same thing with gas stations. There are two Exxon stations here (owned by the same guy) that underprice the other Exxons by .10/gal and only charge .10/gal more per grade as opposed to .20/gal per grade as the rest. They always have a car at every pump. No reason the others can't do that. I only pay .10/gal more for 93 than the others charge for 87. No excuses.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT