Flashing Engine light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Flashing Engine light

Hey guys,

Jumped onto the highway today and gave the car a little it some gas on the onramp. Except I noticed 3 things #1 loss of power #2 lower than usual engine tone #3 the engine light started flashing.

After about 30 seconds, everything went back to normal. What do you think happened here? Misfire?

Is there anything I should do to prevent this from happening again? TSB? Sparkplugs? Wires?

Let me know if you've seen this one before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnothere View Post
Hey guys,

Jumped onto the highway today and gave the car a little it some gas on the onramp. Except I noticed 3 things #1 loss of power #2 lower than usual engine tone #3 the engine light started flashing.

After about 30 seconds, everything went back to normal. What do you think happened here? Misfire?

Is there anything I should do to prevent this from happening again? TSB? Sparkplugs? Wires?

Flashing cel does mean misfire. I would get it scanned if possible and check your plugs Just incase

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
No offense but, anyone who still thinks there are plug wires under the hood of a car should not be twirling wrenches. You can take it to an autozone and have it scanned for free.

If you have the tech package, you can hold the radio buttons 3 and 6 down simultaneously and enter bezel diagnostics. From that, you can check DTCs (dynamic trouble codes). That'll tell you for free, too.

Random misfires are not entirely unheard of. This is a pretty highly strung engine with fantastically complex engine management. I don't think there is anything seriously wrong but, it doesn't hurt to check on it. if the car's still under warranty, the dealer will probably do this for you, too.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
No offense but, anyone who still thinks there are plug wires under the hood of a car should not be twirling wrenches. You can take it to an autozone and have it scanned for free.

If you have the tech package, you can hold the radio buttons 3 and 6 down simultaneously and enter bezel diagnostics. From that, you can check DTCs (dynamic trouble codes). That'll tell you for free, too.

Random misfires are not entirely unheard of. This is a pretty highly strung engine with fantastically complex engine management. I don't think there is anything seriously wrong but, it doesn't hurt to check on it. if the car's still under warranty, the dealer will probably do this for you, too.
Wow did not know about that radio trick! That is cool

Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, little Easter eggs like that kinda make up for the tech package's ridiculous price on the option sheet.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

There are no spark plug wires anymore?!?
Well how does the spark get from the distributor to the spark plugs then?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Via the flux capacitor, of course....

Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes! Of course...
Old 03-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. Not sure the twirling wrenches comment was called for though. Stay classy.

Sent from the interwebs
Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Flashing cel does mean misfire. I would get it scanned if possible and check your plugs Just incase

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from the interwebs
Old 03-19-2015, 04:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Spark plug wires........
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Old 03-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Spark plug wires........

Pfft.

Sent from the interwebs
Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't realize how much douchbaggery there was on here until now. Just asked a simple question and people respond like a-holes. Enjoy your superiority complexes.

Sent from the interwebs
Old 03-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I didn't realize how much douchbaggery there was on here until now. Just asked a simple question and people respond like a-holes. Enjoy your superiority complexes.

Sent from the interwebs

Hey bro. Sorry you got picked on a bit there. It shouldn't be like that but I will say you set yourself up for that a little. It's hard to even help you without sounding like a douch when something like that is involved. I would venture to say spark plug wires haven't been in play on a mustang since probably the 2000's. I know some of the 4.6's had them and some didn't. Either way don't get so upset. Laugh at yourself and move on. Sometimes searches on this site or on the web can help you before you start a thread. Good luck with your car hoss
Old 03-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
2013 GT 6M Track Pack - where to start?

But according to him this isn't his first rodeo with Mustangs.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Hey bro. Sorry you got picked on a bit there. It shouldn't be like that but I will say you set yourself up for that a little. It's hard to even help you without sounding like a douch when something like that is involved. I would venture to say spark plug wires haven't been in play on a mustang since probably the 2000's. I know some of the 4.6's had them and some didn't. Either way don't get so upset. Laugh at yourself and move on. Sometimes searches on this site or on the web can help you before you start a thread. Good luck with your car hoss
I hear ya. I think most of what I said was fine. As soon as I said 'wires' the knuckle-draggers started up.

I come on this board because I want to learn more about my car, learn from people about interesting mods and try to diagnose any problems that arise... but not to feel bad in the process.

The internet brings in all shapes and forms I guess. Many of whom would never act like that to your face.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
2013 GT 6M Track Pack - where to start?

But according to him this isn't his first rodeo with Mustangs.
Why?

Do you feel better about yourself acting like this?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Don't you think you're slightly overreacting? I can't help what others do here but, I gave you rock solid, pertinent advice and yes, I do think that if you believe there are plug wires under the hood you should not be touching something as complex as this car until you get up to speed.

I've been doing this stuff for 30+ years and this isn't an engine management system for amateurs.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Hey guys,
I dont see any mention of "spark plug wires" just wires in general.

Quote:
its a long shot, but a lot of people ive heard say spark plug wires actually had coil boots in mind, just made a habit of saying wires from years of hearing the words "spark plug wires"

Quote:
As soon as I said 'wires' the knuckle-draggers started up.
There's a saying on the internet. "Don't feed the trolls"

also, lost the quote but thought id add, 98 was the last v8 mustang with wires. v6 still had wires for a while, dont know when that stopped.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I hear ya. I think most of what I said was fine. As soon as I said 'wires' the knuckle-draggers started up.

I come on this board because I want to learn more about my car, learn from people about interesting mods and try to diagnose any problems that arise... but not to feel bad in the process.

The internet brings in all shapes and forms I guess. Many of whom would never act like that to your face.

What I've learned in this and all mustang forums is that there is SO much info out there and so many owners and cars that people get passionate about certain things. There are so many debates and opinions. No one is wrong or right about a lot of things.

I used to have a Toyota Tacoma x-runner. Most people don't even know what those are. But the forum I belonged to was pretty easy going because we didn't have a ton of options when it came to mods or really anything. We all had the same motor, same trans, same gears, and one of 3 colors offered (until recently they did change some of the colors). Anyway when there was a question, there was an answer. And only one answer. So there was no back and forth. What's better what's not. And the community was so small we all depended on one another so we all got along.

I often wish this was the case here. But the truth of the matter is there are some very experienced people with a ton of knowledge and a short amount of patience for walking a guy through how to fix his car if he possibly thinks it has something it doesn't. Again as it was mentioned before, don't feed into it. Just say hey, my bad, that was dumb. Now I know. Thanks for the slap. After all you wouldn't want to be "that guy" who ends up on YouTube talking about his sweet performance spark plug wire upgrade on his coyote. You get the picture.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't realize how much douchbaggery there was on here until now. Just asked a simple question and peopless respond like a-holes. Enjoy your superiority complexes.

Sent from the interwebs
I once told somebody, in one of these "late model" forums, that their check engine light was possibly caused by a loose gas cap. The fellas got a good laugh from that!
It turned out that the problem was related to the gas filler not sealing correctly.

Don't worry about it Dave. I guarantee that there is nobody on here that knows everything. But collectively, there is a great deal of knowledge on this website.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If we are talking about being insulted, I've got some skin in the game, if we are making comparisons. So far, I've been called, admittedly indirectly, a ******bag and a troll for giving straight up, correct advice on an issue of some complexity.

I like to be of assistance, in fact, up til last year, I taught auto shop at an alternate ed high school. I won't pull punches or soft pedal things that could lead to someone breaking something expensive. There is no reason to start pulling spark plugs here. There is good reason to get the codes dropped and run a KOER test, which the dealer can do in under 15 minutes. I run one, every once in a while, just for the hell of it.

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT