Mustang Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashing Engine light

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  5LHO 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Jumped onto the highway today and gave the car a little it some gas on the onramp. Except I noticed 3 things #1 loss of power #2 lower than usual engine tone #3 the engine light started flashing.

After about 30 seconds, everything went back to normal. What do you think happened here? Misfire?

Is there anything I should do to prevent this from happening again? TSB? Sparkplugs? Wires?

Let me know if you've seen this one before...

#3 ·
No offense but, anyone who still thinks there are plug wires under the hood of a car should not be twirling wrenches. You can take it to an autozone and have it scanned for free.

If you have the tech package, you can hold the radio buttons 3 and 6 down simultaneously and enter bezel diagnostics. From that, you can check DTCs (dynamic trouble codes). That'll tell you for free, too.

Random misfires are not entirely unheard of. This is a pretty highly strung engine with fantastically complex engine management. I don't think there is anything seriously wrong but, it doesn't hurt to check on it. if the car's still under warranty, the dealer will probably do this for you, too.

#5 ·
Yeah, little Easter eggs like that kinda make up for the tech package's ridiculous price on the option sheet.

#7 ·
Via the flux capacitor, of course....:thumb:

#14 ·
Hey bro. Sorry you got picked on a bit there. It shouldn't be like that but I will say you set yourself up for that a little. It's hard to even help you without sounding like a douch when something like that is involved. I would venture to say spark plug wires haven't been in play on a mustang since probably the 2000's. I know some of the 4.6's had them and some didn't. Either way don't get so upset. Laugh at yourself and move on. Sometimes searches on this site or on the web can help you before you start a thread. Good luck with your car hoss

#17 ·
Don't you think you're slightly overreacting? I can't help what others do here but, I gave you rock solid, pertinent advice and yes, I do think that if you believe there are plug wires under the hood you should not be touching something as complex as this car until you get up to speed.

I've been doing this stuff for 30+ years and this isn't an engine management system for amateurs.

#18 ·
Hey guys,
Is there anything I should do to prevent this from happening again? TSB? Sparkplugs? Wires?
Let me know if you've seen this one before...
I dont see any mention of "spark plug wires" just wires in general.

No offense but, anyone who still thinks there are plug wires under the hood of a car should not be twirling wrenches. You can take it to an autozone and have it scanned for free.
its a long shot, but a lot of people ive heard say spark plug wires actually had coil boots in mind, just made a habit of saying wires from years of hearing the words "spark plug wires"

As soon as I said 'wires' the knuckle-draggers started up.
There's a saying on the internet. "Don't feed the trolls"

also, lost the quote but thought id add, 98 was the last v8 mustang with wires. v6 still had wires for a while, dont know when that stopped.

#21 ·
If we are talking about being insulted, I've got some skin in the game, if we are making comparisons. So far, I've been called, admittedly indirectly, a ******bag and a troll for giving straight up, correct advice on an issue of some complexity.

I like to be of assistance, in fact, up til last year, I taught auto shop at an alternate ed high school. I won't pull punches or soft pedal things that could lead to someone breaking something expensive. There is no reason to start pulling spark plugs here. There is good reason to get the codes dropped and run a KOER test, which the dealer can do in under 15 minutes. I run one, every once in a while, just for the hell of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.