Well dealer just called me about the bottom end tick - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Well dealer just called me about the bottom end tick

There response is.......since I have a Roush exhaust and intake ..and a roush tune(I dont) that it'd a Normal sound...said it's coming from the cams and exhaust make the ticking noise.... I'm feel like I lost 20 iq points talking to them
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Lol.... I'd get a second opinion.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I am lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstorm View Post
There response is.......since I have a Roush exhaust and intake ..and a roush tune(I dont) that it'd a Normal sound...said it's coming from the cams and exhaust make the ticking noise.... I'm feel like I lost 20 iq points talking to them
What I'm hearing is..... "you're modified.... so you're NOT OUR PROBLEM!"

Was the Roush stuff dealer installed? Do you have a Roush warranty?
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have a intake and exhaust that it!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Unfortunately that's enough today. I would have at the very least taking that worthless intake off before taking it in.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
An intake and exhaust will not cause an engine tick. According to the Magnuson-Moss act, the dealer needs to prove that the mods caused the issue that you are complaining about.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
An intake and exhaust will not cause an engine tick. According to the Magnuson-Moss act, the dealer needs to prove that the mods caused the issue that you are complaining about.
No, unfortunately they don't have to prove anything. YOU have to prove that what you've done to your car isn't the cause of the malfunction.
All they have to do is deny deny deny warranty work until you can prove that they have to do it.
And good luck with that.
Magnusson Moss real world experience and reading about your "rights" online are two very different things.
If they say your aftermarket cup holder is causing a misfire....that's the way it is...until YOU
1. Hire a lawyer
2. Spend hours on the phone and writing letters and emails.
3. Find a different dealership that's very very friendly about warranty claims- yeah right.
Ford technicians are very creative in documenting how your mod or any change has caused their product to fail.
People act like you can go into the dealership waving the Magnusson Moss act at them and they will suddenly ***** bricks! They know it, inside and out..trust me. It don't scare them.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I know a lot of you will yell at me for this, but being a life long Chevy owner, this troubles me when I hear so may complain about the way Ford dealers treat their customers. To say that Ford service will do or say what they can to avoid warranty repairs and put the issue on the customer in so may ways is concerning.

Now, I'm not saying that GM is perfect, but when my Chevys have been in warranty, they were repaired. If there is a TSB about issues, they take care of the issue, under warranty, if a customer complains about that TSB issue. I have even had some repairs done, under warranty, when I was outside the warranty period because the issue was a known issue and they wanted to take care of the customer.

In the one year I've owned my Ford, I've heard of many instances of what should be warranty work being denied or refused by the dealers. Especially issues that Ford knows is a problem!!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Don't change or modify your Mustang in ANY way whatsoever and you have no issues. Simple. Modify it, and a lot of dealerships will do anything to deny warranty work. They don't make money doing warranty work. They also don't lose any money denying warranty work. Even if you hire a lawyer, wait a year for a resolution, all they are then ordered to do if they lose, is fix the car under warranty. No reimbursement for your time or legal expenses.
Want your Mustang modded?, wait till 36k miles or expect difficulties with some dealerships if you have problems. Remember also, TSBs are not necessarily warranty items after your warranty is over. They are guides for mechanics from previous common issues. Some warranty, some extended grace periods and some not.
If you sold an item you made in your home, you would adopt similar strategies to make money and not lose it.....Like Chevy did and then got bailed out. (If I brought back the widget you built for me a year later and you saw how I tweaked it and messed with it, and now it's broke, you would say pound sand Elmo). If you warranted your widgets and I brought it back unmolested, you would fix it or give me a new one. If a hundred people a month brought back your widgets and they had all tweaked them and modded them, you would downright tell them all to go to hell.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
^^^How the hell could you not attack them for damages? Time is worth money and in most legal cases you should be able to have them cover it. It's not small claims court.

I also wonder if widgets could be the equivalent of the mt82?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
^^^How the hell could you not attack them for damages? Time is worth money and in most legal cases you should be able to have them cover it. It's not small claims court.

It also is not going to be a "big" payout either. Attorneys will want money up front and since your alive and not burnt to a crisp, good luck finding an attorney.
You could get a sign and walk on the side walk in front of all the traffic and anyone driving past the dealership. It might SHAME them to fix your car.

GOOD LUCK!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well, they didnt give me a issue about the mods, they just tried to claim it was normal for the car to make noise with this "roush package" i supposedly have (i dont) any way THE NOISE IS NOW GONE since getting it back from the dealer.......They claim they did no work what so ever and i have it in writing that they said the car is fine and no problems will happen....I used to work at a dealership for mopar and know first hand that if they send you on your way like this and the car pops its free of charge repairs ....always get it in writing . But yea now my noise is gone so they must have did something .........now i must figure out what..
Old 03-20-2015, 03:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post

Because they haven't done anything malicious or deliberately harmful to you. In the dealerships qualified opinion, you yourself caused or contributed to the failure of the product. And they will have documented this well. At best, if you're victorious with legal pressure, they simply repair (finally) under warranty.
This will be a long 6 month to year process while your car is still broken.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You seemed misinformed. And a dealership is not always a "qualified" solution. Alot of the best techs work at small shops. The Dealer stated in writing that the roush intake and roush exhaust had nothing to do with the concerns i had. Then these "qualified" Techs claimed my car had a Roush tune on it......it does not, then they called it the roush stage 1 package mustang.....its just a gt premium. So already there "qualified" opinion is out the window. Hence why i got everything in writing, I have seen this done plenty of times before, They are now liable if they issue i came in for to get serviced cuases any damage, since they sent it on its way with no work done. But as i said the tick is gone so they touched something and didnt want to say what......dealer qualified ...lol
Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I surely agree. There are some real knuckle heads that work at dealerships. But in a legal conflict, the court and attorneys lend more credibility to the dumb knuckle heads that actually work for Ford and have all those pretty Ford training certificates. It sounds like your dealership realized their error and sort of acknowledged it (but not really)with just your persistence. Many do not. Good on you
Old 03-20-2015, 04:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you
Old 03-20-2015, 06:11 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I wish they would just be straight up with you.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #19

It's rare that I post on a forum but there seems to be some pretty serious misconceptions on this topic in my opinion.

To the OP and anyone else having service issues at a Ford dealership you can have a modded vehicle and still get warranty service done. It does, however, take patience, relationship building, fact finding, and being polite on your part.

My car had the BBQ tick, rear end whine, and a couple other items that needed to be addressed.

The first thing to do is call around to the dealerships in your area and ask to speak directly to the Service Manager. When he/she picks up tell them you are calling to introduce yourself and that you have a Mustang that you have or would like to modify. Talk to him/her about your modifications or your modification plans and ask them if they would have a problem supporting your vehicle with warranty issues based upon your mods or mod plans. All dealerships that I have contacted (2 - 1 in CO and 1 in GA) were open to working with me and understood why I was calling.

BBQ ignitor tick - I had a new long block installed in my car when it had the following mods - Steeda CAI, SW Retro Catback, AED Tune, Steeda lowering springs, Koni Yellows, LCA Relo Brackets, and a handful of cosmetic items.

After the new long block was installed and broken in I had installed a Paxton SC kit with the 3.6 pulley, Bob's Catch Can's, and switched to GT500 Quad Exhaust. I had the rear end completely rebuilt due to excessive whining and they took care of a couple TSB items without issue.

Whenever the car is brought in I don't demand anything, I work with only the Service Manager and his best Service Writer, I bring factual documentation as to what the symptoms are and what the possible fix is.

Example: At one point right after the new motor was installed I had a crankshaft relearn issue which caused the car to shut down if RPMs were kept above 4k for more than 4-5 seconds. I found the TSB and instructions on how to address the problem. I took that information to the dealership and they immediately put the car on the rack and performed the TSB as I requested. 15 minutes later I had my car back and the problem has never come back.

At this point if I have any big issue with the car I have no doubt they will fix it under warranty as long as I have a legit issue and continue to treat them well.

Oh, I also contact Ford Customer Service with my VIN number, reason for being at the dealership, and dealer contact information when leaving my car. This has helped my Service Writer expedite parts and repair authorization.

On a side note and to help reinforce the fact the dear, if approached right, will bend over backwards for you, I told the Service Writer that this car is a weekend only car that the wife and I use for fun, special trips, and show from time to time. I asked if it would be possible to keep the car indoors while in their care. All told my car was with the dealer for 8 weeks and it was NEVER kept outside. I'd check on the engine progress on a daily basis and would show up and no particular time and it was ALWAYS in a bay and on a drive on lift. They had it raised, unless they were working on it, to avoid it being hit by anything. Needless to say I bought the whole crew pizza after they installed my engine and I bring doughnuts on mornings I drop the car off (twice now). The Service Writer called me a couple weeks ago to check in and to let me know the crew wanted to know when I was bringing the car back in so they could have doughnuts again. LOL

I might have $100 invested in food for a group of guys who have gone above and beyond. Money well spent.
buggywhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Frickin A. I went through this getting my manual trans repaired. It was tough sledding for a month with some pretty intense negotiations with the dealer; this from someone who does intense negotiations for a living. Eventually persistence and politeness paid off and they accepted the warranty complaint and fixed the car. I brought beer for the shop guys at the end of the journey, as they were really trying to figure it out and were hamstrung by Ford bureaucracy and some inherent assumptions built into that system.

Other small warranty niggles like flaking paint on a BBP wheel, a leaky rear shock, rear sway bar end links and a GPS antenna were replaced swiftly and without any hassle.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Most likely they are assuming a tune as well, as a tune is usually another mod that goes hand in hand with your other mods. You could ask them to prove there's a tune installed, as they can tell (even if there was one, but removed prior to the service visit), but this is all a moot point, as this dealer has already made up its mind on how they wish to deal with your situation.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Buggywhips, this is the treatment I have received at the many dealerships I have brought my Chevys to. My Silverado has a custom tune done to it and I have informed the service department a few times not to reflash the computer as a troubleshooting option because of the tune. They were ok with that and continued their work.

I do know that a TSB is not a warranty repair issue, but it can be. If the owner complains of an issue that is well known and there is a TSB on it, the Chevy dealers will address the repair and document it based on the TSB. Obviously, a TSB doesn't cover safety related items and the issues are usually stupid things like a squeaky rear door on a 4-door. Under warranty, they have replaced the weatherstripping and readjusted the door mounts to stop the squeak. What I'm hearing here is that Ford dealers will say to just deal with it. I also hear a lot of owners making excuses for these items with comments that the car is an assembly line built machine with thousands of parts and you can't expect perfection. You can't expect perfection, but for what they cost, you can expect some levels of quality and customer service.

My Ford dealer damaged one of the Brembo wheels on my car and when they found out they weren't original to the car, they tried getting out of "fixing" what they damaged. The car had 400 miles on it and the rims only had 200. I had to argue with them to get the rim replaced. I shouldn't have had to do that. I also had to argue with them last week over a wheel balance. The 2014 warranty manual says they will balance and align when necessary any 2014 vehicle that's less than 1 year and 12k miles. The service advisor's manual says that Ford will reimburse them one time for this. So Ford reimburses the dealer one time, but tells the customer that they will fix it "when needed" for the first year. Let's jus say that I got it resolved, but they weren't happy.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
My Ford dealer damaged one of the Brembo wheels on my car and when they found out they weren't original to the car, they tried getting out of "fixing" what they damaged. The car had 400 miles on it and the rims only had 200. I had to argue with them to get the rim replaced. I shouldn't have had to do that. I also had to argue with them last week over a wheel balance. The 2014 warranty manual says they will balance and align when necessary any 2014 vehicle that's less than 1 year and 12k miles. The service advisor's manual says that Ford will reimburse them one time for this. So Ford reimburses the dealer one time, but tells the customer that they will fix it "when needed" for the first year. Let's jus say that I got it resolved, but they weren't happy.
In no way can a dealer claim they are not responsible for damage they caused on a part you installed on your vehicle, just because it was not original to the car.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
I know a lot of you will yell at me for this, but being a life long Chevy owner, this troubles me when I hear so may complain about the way Ford dealers treat their customers. To say that Ford service will do or say what they can to avoid warranty repairs and put the issue on the customer in so may ways is concerning.

Now, I'm not saying that GM is perfect, but when my Chevys have been in warranty, they were repaired. If there is a TSB about issues, they take care of the issue, under warranty, if a customer complains about that TSB issue. I have even had some repairs done, under warranty, when I was outside the warranty period because the issue was a known issue and they wanted to take care of the customer.

In the one year I've owned my Ford, I've heard of many instances of what should be warranty work being denied or refused by the dealers. Especially issues that Ford knows is a problem!!

I'm sure you are familiar with the ignition switch law suit that GM settled and had to pay out over $5 million a few days ago. May not be a big amount but they also just recalled 64,000 Volts, agreed on a $5 billion share buy back, oh and there is still discrepancy about their bankruptcy shield.

Every auto maker has their share of issues. Best thing for someone to do is figure out which issues they would rather deal with.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I would have at the very least taking that worthless intake off before taking it in.

Agreed
Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #26

Region: Georgia
My 2011 5.0 is at the Ford dealer as we speak getting some transmission work done to it and my car has a decent bit of Mods done to it and the work they are doing is covered under my warranty and they didn't give me any problems whatsoever. in my opinion I think it just varies from service department to service department on who gives you problems about the Mods that you have on your car in relation to warranty work.
2011 5.0/ Air Raid cool air induction/Steeda Springs front and back/ Tokico D-Spec Adjustable front and back/Ford Racing 3.31 gears and Differential/ Off road X pipe with Ford GT 500 axle back mufflers. Mike Rousch/Mid Atlantic Performance Tuned Program.
CassiusClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Well, they didnt give me a issue about the mods, they just tried to claim it was normal for the car to make noise with this "roush package" i supposedly have (i dont) any way THE NOISE IS NOW GONE since getting it back from the dealer.......They claim they did no work what so ever and i have it in writing that they said the car is fine and no problems will happen....I used to work at a dealership for mopar and know first hand that if they send you on your way like this and the car pops its free of charge repairs ....always get it in writing . But yea now my noise is gone so they must have did something .........now i must figure out what..
They probably put an oil additive in to quiet it down!
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well i had the car back for 3 days now, put the tune back on it today.....tick came back an hour later no joke wth? seems like it runs hotter with the tune too, Run a 93 race bama tune... im gonna msg them to have a new tune written and ask to have them tune it so the fans come on earlier
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Uhhhh, and apparently a tune also.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Quote:
Well i had the car back for 3 days now, put the tune back on it today.....tick came back an hour later no joke wth? seems like it runs hotter with the tune too, Run a 93 race bama tune
So you lied then? I have zero sympathy for you now.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #31
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
So you lied then? I have zero sympathy for you now.
I have to agree with you Grabber Blue5.0

In the OP's original post:

"There response is.......since I have a Roush exhaust and intake ..and a roush tune(I dont)"....

How can we believe any of this threads story now?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I have to agree with you Grabber Blue5.0

In the OP's original post:

"There response is.......since I have a Roush exhaust and intake ..and a roush tune(I dont)"....

How can we believe any of this threads story now?
Wellll technically he didn't have a (Roush) tune. It was Bama. But since he apparently returned it to stock tune before bringing it in, then in bizarro world, that means all he had was a intake and exhaust.
And those morons at Ford...imagine their ***** trying to deny warranty work for possibly a serious motor issue. Especially when op told them specifically it didn't have a (Roush) tune.
Shoulda gone in there with a giant Magnusson moss pamphlet.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You seemed misinformed. And a dealership is not always a "qualified" solution. Alot of the best techs work at small shops. The Dealer stated in writing that the roush intake and roush exhaust had nothing to do with the concerns i had. Then these "qualified" Techs claimed my car had a Roush tune on it......it does not, then they called it the roush stage 1 package mustang.....its just a gt premium. So already there "qualified" opinion is out the window. Hence why i got everything in writing, I have seen this done plenty of times before, They are now liable if they issue i came in for to get serviced cuases any damage, since they sent it on its way with no work done. But as i said the tick is gone so they touched something and didnt want to say what......dealer qualified ...lol
Ok, so the idiot Ford techs got your brand of tune wrong....but they nailed it! YOUR CAR HAD A TUNE. They saw it on diagnostics. Sounds like they're qualified enough.
We all got taken for a ride on the drama train.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
As far as I know, Diablosport is the only tuner out there that leaves no trace once the tune is returned to stock and they have published some anecdotal evidence to that effect. SCT definitely leaves a trail. So, if you're returning to stock before a dealership visit in order to enhance your chances of getting a proper diagnosis, fine. But if you think the techs can't see that you HAD a tune on the car, and your tuner of choice is SCT, you're wasting your time and compromising your credibility with the dealership by saying that you 'don't' have a tune, when they can clearly see that you 'did'.
Mustang No.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

No tune when serviced means i had no tune on my car, how hard is that, plus they didnt deny me anything, they stated the car had a tune on it while it was there and still were willing to fix the issue if they found one, Like i said the car didnt tick when i got it back. as soon as i re tuned it, it started ticking again. Maybe i should have been more clear in my posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT