Any issues with BMR's fixed UCA and bracket? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Any issues with BMR's fixed UCA and bracket?

I know I'll probably get beaten to death, and that's fine lol. But I was wondering if anyone with BMR's fixed UCA and mount have experienced issues with it on your lowered coyote. Was your pinion angle way off? Were you still experiencing wheel hop? I've yet to measure the pinion angle as the car is still put away. It seems I'm alone with buying the fixed UCA, can't find a soul on here with it lol. Any info would be great. I'm contemplating making the switch if absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well, the lowering does beg the question why you went with non-adjustable since the lowering directly impacts the pinion angle. Now, a three link car isn't as sensitive to this as say, a leaf spring car but, the same forces are at work so, you might want to get under there and see what the included angle actually is. You don't need much on a 3 link car, maximum 2* down.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Well, the lowering does beg the question why you went with non-adjustable since the lowering directly impacts the pinion angle. Now, a three link car isn't as sensitive to this as say, a leaf spring car but, the same forces are at work so, you might want to get under there and see what the included angle actually is. You don't need much on a 3 link car, maximum 2* down.

I made a judgement call based on speaking with BMR through email, and the all powerful interweb to be honest. All I was told was that having a non-adjustable LCA may interfere with a 1 piece DS down the road. At the time, I didn't care because I didn't think I was going to be buying a DS. Plans have changed a bit and I most likely will be purchasing one. My real concern here though was my 1/4 mile times. I had a best of 13.018 @109 mph and I feel the car should've performed better than that given the suspension. Granted, I have not checked the pinion angle, and my LCA's are set optimally for drag with my relo brackets. I'm also on stock zero nero's with a 6spd with 3.73's. I ran that time pretty consistently with just under a 2.1 60 ft. Maybe I'm asking too much? Or maybe I'm not set up properly.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

I'm definitely going to have to check the pinion once it gets warm enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

PZero Neros are absolutely hopeless in a straight line, worse even than the also crap 255 summer only PZeros on my BBP car.

All the suspension in the world doesn't mean squat without a tire that can hook it to the road.

I put 1.6 sixtys away easily on cheapo UMI lowers and Roush's rubber UCA...in fact, I did that on the factory LCAs as well. On stock BBP shocks, bar and springs. Now, that's because I put a 10" wide 28" tall drag slick back there. I don't think there is much more in it without some more serious suspension consideration but, for basically stock, you can see what difference the tire makes...it's like 90% of the solution.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
PZero Neros are absolutely hopeless in a straight line, worse even than the also crap 255 summer only PZeros on my BBP car.

All the suspension in the world doesn't mean squat without a tire that can hook it to the road.

I put 1.6 sixtys away easily on cheapo UMI lowers and Roush's rubber UCA...in fact, I did that on the factory LCAs as well. On stock BBP shocks, bar and springs. Now, that's because I put a 10" wide 28" tall drag slick back there. I don't think there is much more in it without some more serious suspension consideration but, for basically stock, you can see what difference the tire makes...it's like 90% of the solution.

You think it's all tire? I'm just asking because I've never checked the pinion angle, and I've never known anyone to run a fixed UCA on a lowered car. Like I said I seem to be the only one lol. No wheel hop, just wheel spin. That time seems on par to you? I feel like the car can break 12's easy. I know it was mostly tire, but didn't know if I was totally messing things up with the suspension. And yeah, these are the 235/50/18's. Even worse. I bought aftermarket 19's and will be purchasing some summer rubber to get a better "grip" on things.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
You think it's all tire? I'm just asking because I've never checked the pinion angle, and I've never known anyone to run a fixed UCA on a lowered car. Like I said I seem to be the only one lol. No wheel hop, just wheel spin. That time seems on par to you? I feel like the car can break 12's easy. I know it was mostly tire, but didn't know if I was totally messing things up with the suspension. And yeah, these are the 235/50/18's. Even worse. I bought aftermarket 19's and will be purchasing some summer rubber to get a better "grip" on things.

Another concern was if the UCA itself could be detrimental to something having the car lowered. Pinion seal leakage or whatnot. I really gotta get under there and measure it.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, it's all tire. pinion angle issues would show up as wheelhop. Wheelhop is traction trying to happen and with the tires you have, there is no hope of testing that, though.

You will never achieve 12s with the tires you have, as described. Power is there, traction isn't. See my sig for what a tire can do for this car. I purposely chose to make the most of every pony this car makes by sticking it to the ground as much as I could, before considering power adders. The tune on the car is super mild and was chosen for drivability, low cost and warranty support.

People usually get pinion leakage from running too much down angle, though too much up will do it, too. Should not be more than -2 on the street.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, it's all tire. pinion angle issues would show up as wheelhop. Wheelhop is traction trying to happen and with the tires you have, there is no hope of testing that, though.

You will never achieve 12s with the tires you have, as described. Power is there, traction isn't. See my sig for what a tire can do for this car. I purposely chose to make the most of every pony this car makes by sticking it to the ground as much as I could, before considering power adders. The tune on the car is super mild and was chosen for drivability, low cost and warranty support.

People usually get pinion leakage from running too much down angle, though too much up will do it, too. Should not be more than -2 on the street.

Thanks a lot brother for the information? So what do you suggest? Check the pinion angle before making any rash purchases? -2 would be a safe bet? I've also been going back and forth between DR's and sticky summers, but it's a DD....

Old 03-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Not true I ran 12.7 and 12.8 with my stock PZero Neros. With my 2011 GT and 2014 GT. 60 foot times suck*d. Now I run 12.5 with my Carbon fiber Drive shaft. And a lot of practice launches.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT