Eibach Sportline or H&R Race springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Eibach Sportline or H&R Race springs

Hello guys, after looking at as many spring pictures and post as I could find I only have one question left:
How much performance is lost going to the Sportline springs? I really enjoy the look but am upgrading the whole suspension and don't want to waste the money by losing too much performance going with a progressive spring.
Any one tripped both? Anyone on either spring set, your impressions?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
So happy you made this thread. I am about to lower my car and I am torn between the two. I am very curious to see what everyone says.

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
So which H&R springs were you looking at?
Why are thinking having a progressive spring will loose performance over ???????????
I've got Sportlines on my 14 and they are just a little stiffer than my TrakPak springs and they corner extremely well, even with the Pirelli Zero's. I've taken 50mph curves at readline in 5th, but I've got 3.73's out back.
I have to say I've used Eibach springs for about 20 years and in my 97 Cobra I tried FMS, Steeda and Eibach's, my favorite was Eibach.
Food for thought is that one of the largest independently owned tire shops in the Western USofA used to deal exclusively with Eibach, they have now gone with H&R.
Made in Germany might even be better than made in USofA.
I was going to try H&R but got a good deal on the Sportlines.
Progressive are a good compromise to Linear............and when I was racing SCCA I used a progressive spring.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Sorry, I didn't see that mentioned "race springs".
So my next question is why do think you need race springs. Are you only going to track the car in a class, or drive it mostly on street and track it occasionally?
If you are going to drive it on the street and occasionally track it, get the progressive spring (assuming you understand what a progressive spring is), and if it is mostly going to track car you can pick the race if you want..........assuming you do have some track time and are more than a novice racer..............if not stick with the progressive........you'll be glad you did.....IMHO
Old 03-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Picture of Sportlines on 14 TrakPak car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 MustangGT.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	177916  
Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

olerodder what is your suspension set up? Did you ever run stock struts with the sportlines?

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Still have the stock TrakPak struts/strut mounts and shocks with the Sportline springs. Have had it this way for almost 3000 miles. I have the Whiteline adjustable panhard and Whiteline adjustable LCA's. The UCA is still in the box as are the LCA relocation brackets.
Truthfully I'm not sure I'll keep the Mustang, but if I do I'll change the struts/shocks to Koni's adjustables and maybe try the GT500 strut mount. I can see no need for a CC plate unless the struts/strut mount changes anything. When I lowered the car I had the alignment checked caster was at 7.8degrees which is at the very max on the Ford spec for the car, and the camber was at -1.5 which is the very min on the Ford spec for the car. The way it is now is more like I would prefer to track it than street it, but I did a 600+ mile road trip down into Northern California on I-5 and the car absolutely handles great............like I said, taking 50mph corners at redline in 5th gear....with 3.73's.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at the Race springs to maximize the handling as I am willing to sacrifice a little comfort for handling but would rather not sacrifice the other way, performance for comfort. I love the look of the Sportlines and H&R Super Sports, but am not sure how much I give up for cosmetic effect with them.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ole, with the Sportlines do you have any issues with bumpsteer? As for your garaged LCA's/UCA, why are they garaged? Do you just not need them? I ask as I was going to get them but if I don't "have" to, I'd like to avoid the cost/install.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimguns View Post
I was looking at the Race springs to maximize the handling as I am willing to sacrifice a little comfort for handling but would rather not sacrifice the other way, performance for comfort. I love the look of the Sportlines and H&R Super Sports, but am not sure how much I give up for cosmetic effect with them.
If you go with the race springs you will be sacrificing most if not all of the comfort. A progressive spring lets you have some comfort like when you are driving around town but the harder you push it the more it becomes like an all out race spring. Going with a race spring means you are going to sacrifice more than a little comfort...........it will be quite a lot more noticeable than the Sportline or Supersport.

Quote:
Ole, with the Sportlines do you have any issues with bumpsteer? As for your garaged LCA's/UCA, why are they garaged? Do you just not need them? I ask as I was going to get them but if I don't "have" to, I'd like to avoid the cost/install.
I've not had it to the track yet and don't expect much bumpsteer and carving corners at the limit I have only seen a little, nothing drastic.
I have the LCA's on the car and the UPC is waiting until I put in the 1 piece drive line..........I'm sure I will need it then as I will need to get the pinion angle in sync with the trans angle.
My suggestion would be to get them both if you are going to lower the car with Sportlines or Super Sport springs. My driveshaft angle is a little off from factory but the two piece driveline is a little more forgiving than a 1 piece.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Forgot to add the you will notice a big difference when you install the LCA's, the car just feels more planted and the rear end feels so much more solid.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

olerodder thanks for all the info man. Would you say that Sportlines are fine for a DD? I would love the look of H&R Supersports but I don't think they are practical. and did you use camber bolts or anything to make sure you were in spec for your alignment?

Old 03-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50OHHHHH View Post
olerodder thanks for all the info man. Would you say that Sportlines are fine for a DD? I would love the look of H&R Supersports but I don't think they are practical. and did you use camber bolts or anything to make sure you were in spec for your alignment?
I drive my Mustang as a daily driver and although it rides slightly stiffer than my OE TrakPak springs I think they are fine because I like a little firmer ride.
I would have probably gotten the H&R springs, I just couldn't fine any pictures of late Mustangs with them installed, and they seem to lower the rear even more than the Eibachs, which I didn't want.
As for the camber bolts, they are not needed and since they are smaller than the OE bolts I would consider them dangerous..do not use them.
As I mentioned above, as long as you are careful taking them apart and putting them back together you should be fine. Now with that said I would have the front end checked after doing the lowering just to make sure, but most shops don't charge, or will reduce the charge if the front end is within specs.......it should be. Also, if you have an iPhone, get this app, it's called iAlign and although I got mine free a couple of years ago it's an excellent tool to check front end alignment.
One thing you need to consider doing is replace all of the OE nuts and bolts you take off the car as they are made to be used one time only................how do I know, because Ford says so and I have reused them and on re-torqueing them to OE spec they have stripped.
If you have a dealer close by, ask their parts department for a jobber discount because all of the bolts and nuts for the complete lowering job and replacing the nuts and bolts for the pan hard bar will cost you around $100..........at the jobber price. If they won't do anything for you have them give you a list of OE part numbers and go here and order them online;

Ford Mustang Parts - Ford Parts Discount Outlet

Also, don't forget to put an adjustable pan hard bar in, when you lower the car you will need to bring the rear axle back to center.

It's always better to be safe and not sorry.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have the H&R Super Sports on my '12 with stock shocks and struts and camber bolts as well as the BMR adjustable panhard bar. The ride is noticeably more "floaty". I'm going to put some Konis on soon to address this. Not a terrible ride but definitely not optimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ncfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Neither. Go with K springs or BMR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Neither. Go with K springs or BMR.

Why?
Old 03-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Why?
Bc why settle for 2nd best?
Also, they will do anything you want with a A+

Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfive0 View Post
I have the H&R Super Sports on my '12 with stock shocks and struts and camber bolts as well as the BMR adjustable panhard bar. The ride is noticeably more "floaty". I'm going to put some Konis on soon to address this. Not a terrible ride but definitely not optimal.

Why did you put camber bolts in and what is your alignment spec?
Old 03-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Bc why settle for 2nd best?
Also, they will do anything you want with a A+

I personally think BMR is 3rd best.
Not sure what you mean they do anything you want with an A+.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I personally think BC is 3rd best.
Well the fastest NA stock motor in the country runs on k springs.

I have been on them since 3 days after driving off the lot.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well the fastest NA stock motor in the country runs on k springs.

I have been on them since 3 days after driving off the lot.

Ok, I guess if I was going drag racing I'd give the k spring a try.
Does this guy autocross or take the car to an open track day on occasion?
Old 03-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, I guess if I was going drag racing I'd give the k spring a try.
Does this guy autocross or take the car to an open track day on occasion?
He doesn't. But plenty of people do.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
BMR springs are the way to go.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why did you put camber bolts in and what is your alignment spec?

The shop I went to for alignment showed the readout as a little over 2* negative camber and suggested the camber bolts. I could tell by looking at it that there was a significant amount of camber in the front as soon as I installed the springs.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
The shop I went to for alignment showed the readout as a little over 2* negative camber and suggested the camber bolts. I could tell by looking at it that there was a significant amount of camber in the front as soon as I installed the springs.

I was worried that my SR springs would've thrown me way off spec with the 1.5" drop but I was ok. -1.3 camber. Sure does make the car handle a whole helluva lot better.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I'm wondering why you are so far off. In doing 5 late models non of the cars has been over the Ford spec which is minimum of
-1.5 and max at 0...........that is a lot!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm wondering why you are so far off. In doing 5 late models non of the cars has been over the Ford spec which is minimum of
-1.5 and max at 0...........that is a lot!

I thought the same exact thing

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Eibach Sportline or H&R Race springs

I couldn't tell you but I saw the screen on the computer and it was over 2*. The super sports provide a pretty significant drop though.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

For you guys with the Eibach Sportline springs, do you experience bumpsteer?
I'd like to avoid the install if it's not needed. ..

Old 03-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have Sportlines on my 2013 Track pack and I absolutely love them. Car sits aggressive and handles much better along with the rest of my stock suspension.

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.

Black 2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Premium, Glass Roof, Navigation
Borla S-Type Axel back, H Pipe, Drop in K&N filter
cnadz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #31

Region: Washington
How long have you had the sportlines for? I'm thinking of getting them soon
mariomata8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:57 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

A couple months now. The ride is stiffer for sure. With Ricaro seats, or other race seats, it'd be to a bit to rough for a DD for my liking. BUT, with the normal seats is a nice tight handling ride. Keep in mind I did full suspension so I can't speakas to the springs alone. ..

Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I've had mine for 2 years now and love them.... They sit flush as well as great handling along with my BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets. Absolutely recommend them!

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Media pkg, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.

Black 2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Premium, Glass Roof, Navigation
Old 07-31-2015, 11:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438402174.958132.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	188440

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 6sp MT-82 3.73 rear end, Track pkg, Brembo brakes, Premium, Glass roof, Navagation, Media pkg, Borla S-Type axel back exhaust, Airaid cold air intake, SCT X4 Tuner, Eibach Sportline lowering springs, BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets, Whiteline adjustable Panhard bar, Barton short shifter and bracket, Whiteline transmission insert.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:10 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438402234.533517.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	188441

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT