sway bars worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
sway bars worth it?

I have a 2011 gt brembo with eibach springs, koni yellows, max motorsports camber plates, adjustable panhard, and some brake work. I'm getting ready to buy adjustable swaybars and want to know if they will make a noticeable difference by themselves or if I should skip and put the money towards something else like a tune or watts link. its a daily driver, but I autocross, drive mtn roads once per month and a few track days a yr. let me know what you guys think

thanks
Rob
rwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Interested in this as well.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
If you don't have a strut bar, I would do that first. You'll love it.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Brembo cars come with this stock. So OP should already have it
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twk View Post
If you don't have a strut bar, I would do that first. You'll love it.
I'm assuming your talking about the rear since they came stock with a front bar?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Seems like you have a solid setup...I'd say tune it, or put a better upper control arm out back.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
LCAs?
2014 V6, Oxford White, Auto, 3.31, AirRaid CAI, MBRP axleback, 18" Motegi Black MR118, Cooper RS3-S's, MPT 93/Perf/Race[Ghost Cam], Steeda Ultra springs, B&R Panhard Bar, Ford Racing strut brace, BMR LCAs, JLT Oil Separator, Kicker 12'' Sealed Sub/300wt. amp, Formula1 70% tint[+windshield]
blowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Adjustable sway bars make a world of difference. I didn't like how the car handled stock compared to my girls 328i. Adjustable sways allowed me to make the handling much more neutral like the BMW. Be warned to make the car handle how I wanted I increased the rear percentage to 200 percent stiffer than the stock bar, which makes the ride somewhat harsh but it is bearable as a DD.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Ammermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I will definitely be doing sways. They make a huge difference stiffening everything up.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The swaybars can be added at anytime during the suspension build & will aid in hard cornering on the street & though if you enjoy corner carving they make a huge benefit.

The tune will add more power & provide more fun per gallon & eventually, if you add enough power upgrades ... the suspension will need to follow.

You can check out our adjustable bar here:

Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - Made in the USA 555-1073 - Free Shipping!

Let me know if I can help assist with any questions or provide forum pricing!

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

The swaybars can be added at anytime during the suspension build & will aid in hard cornering on the street & though if you enjoy corner carving they make a huge benefit.

The tune will add more power & provide more fun per gallon & eventually, if you add enough power upgrades ... the suspension will need to follow.

Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - Made in the USA 555-1073 - Free Shipping!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The question you should be asking is does your car oversteer or understeer? Stiffer rear one will cure a bit of understeer. Stiffer front will help with oversteer.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The question you should be asking is does your car oversteer or understeer? Stiffer rear one will cure a bit of understeer. Stiffer front will help with oversteer.

Another felah in same boat here - I'm doing 285 michelin super sports on all 4 corners, springs, LCA and bracket, panhard bar, camber bolts and Koni orange. What sway bars should I get next? Front or back?

I wanna go around windy roads (let's say doing 70-80mph) in summer without having to worry if I'm gonna fly/skid off the road. Gotta get red of body roll without breaking the budget. Which brings me to next point: hows ford racings front and rear sway bar kit that sells for $410?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Best Regards,

TJ
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I would recommend adjustable vs the ford racing bars. I have hotchkis that I ordered off of Amazon and I am happy with them. Steeda makes quality parts and their sway bars look like the same design or at least close to it. Our cars tend to under steer so they benefit most from a stiffer rear bar so if I was only going to do one it would be the rear. You can always pm TJ from Steeda on here for a discount code and get an adjustable set.

2012 GT Brembo M6, BBK CAI, Dynomax axleback, Bama tuned, UPR UCA & mount, Hotchkis LCA/panhard bar/adjustable swaybars, Whiteline relocation brackets, Barton shifter & bracket, Eibach ProKit Springs.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
They have adjustable ford racing I thought...
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If you do go Steeda as you can see and BMR came out last year with a new set up.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It would be nice to be able to start with just the front since its a lot cheaper than the rear or the kit, but I dont want to be incomplete. Currently I have oversteer when I push it
Old 03-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
It would be nice to be able to start with just the front since its a lot cheaper than the rear or the kit, but I dont want to be incomplete. Currently I have oversteer when I push it
There is a difference between over steer and power oversteer...

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammermeow View Post
I would recommend adjustable vs the ford racing bars. I have hotchkis that I ordered off of Amazon and I am happy with them. Steeda makes quality parts and their sway bars look like the same design or at least close to it. Our cars tend to under steer so they benefit most from a stiffer rear bar so if I was only going to do one it would be the rear. You can always pm TJ from Steeda on here for a discount code and get an adjustable set.

I have looked into Hotchkis too, how much did you pay? Front bar 4 way and rear 3 way adjustable? Part # 22102?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Go with A rear abjustable swaybar. Our cars understeer which can be corrected with the rear sway bar. I recommend spending the little extra for the adjustable if you want to really tune it into your driving style.
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post

The latter is my favorite 😊

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

ok, you guys convinced me I'm going with the front and rear adjustable sways, now just have to decide between steeda or strano
Old 03-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The latter is my favorite 😊

Definitely more controllable....

Tuned by AED
Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I have looked into Hotchkis too, how much did you pay? Front bar 4 way and rear 3 way adjustable? Part # 22102?
$470.35 about a year ago on Amazon. Yes 4 way front 3 way rear. I run 2nd from the softest in the front and middle in the rear. That is the correct part number. I am rear happy with them although I just added sway bar relocation brackets so I can run a 15x10 and had to do some heavy modding to get them to work. But that seemed to be due to the whiteline LCA brackets.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
$470.35 about a year ago on Amazon. Yes 4 way front 3 way rear. I run 2nd from the softest in the front and middle in the rear. That is the correct part number. I am rear happy with them although I just added sway bar relocation brackets so I can run a 15x10 and had to do some heavy modding to get them to work. But that seemed to be due to the whiteline LCA brackets.

My FRPP sway bar didn't fit right either after installing the relo brackets for 15's.
Had to use the stock clamps instead of the billet ones that came with the bar.

Tuned by AED
Old 03-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah they're about same price from Summit at the moment. However, they're a hollow design and people say you should get solid steel? Steeda ones are $470 after forum discount, but I'm not sure they're hollow or solid.

How's the body roll on your car? Did you feel quite a bit of difference when you installed these?

Also, wouldn't I have neutral steer if I'm running 285 squared setup?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah they're about same price from Summit at the moment. However, they're a hollow design and people say you should get solid steel? Steeda ones are $470 after forum discount, but I'm not sure they're hollow or solid.

How's the body roll on your car? Did you feel quite a bit of difference when you installed these?

Also, wouldn't I have neutral steer if I'm running 285 squared setup?
little to no body roll in my opinion. The sways added a ton of confidence when taking turns. Stock it felt like I really had to fight to keep it in the turn, now it just turns and takes little effort to stay in the turn. They made the biggest seat of the pants difference of all the mods I have done. I had 255's on all four corners and I had understeer, or at least what I believe was understeer.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My FRPP sway bar didn't fit right either after installing the relo brackets for 15's.
Had to use the stock clamps instead of the billet ones that came with the bar.
I had to cut off 1 of the 3 adjustment holes on the swaybar, took about an inch off. Hope the 15x10's are worth it.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:35 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
little to no body roll in my opinion. The sways added a ton of confidence when taking turns. Stock it felt like I really had to fight to keep it in the turn, now it just turns and takes little effort to stay in the turn. They made the biggest seat of the pants difference of all the mods I have done. I had 255's on all four corners and I had understeer, or at least what I believe was understeer.
I know what you mean, I originally had a PP 3.7 that i traded in for my 5.0. Honestly it felt more planted around curves, more so on windy roads. Now my GT is a whole another story on those same roads - feels more in air..not sure if that's the right term, but I have to slow down a touch just to feel confident.

Now next thing is getting a front or rear or both - BMR says get the front one first, sort of conflicting as to what I have read on this thread. Ahhh decisions decisions lol
Old 03-23-2015, 01:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know what you mean, I originally had a PP 3.7 that i traded in for my 5.0. Honestly it felt more planted around curves, more so on windy roads. Now my GT is a whole another story on those same roads - feels more in air..not sure if that's the right term, but I have to slow down a touch just to feel confident.

Now next thing is getting a front or rear or both - BMR says get the front one first, sort of conflicting as to what I have read on this thread. Ahhh decisions decisions lol
I know I adjusted the rear back to the softest setting trying to make the ride a little less harsh, but I didn't like the feel in the turns so stiffened it back up. Pretty easy install.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
probably late here,

You want as little sway bar as you can while maintaining control of the car. For really aggressive driving like auto cross some people disconnect the front sway completely. What has been asked/stated before is, what does the car do mid turn? Does it understeer or oversteer? Do you want to fix either of those behaviors? Another thing to think about is, and this is more for the track. But if you are ever going through an S or left-right-left sort of turn, the more anti roll you have the weight transfers in less time. This gives you a pointy-darty kind of sensation. With that in mind, you do not want to eliminate roll, or resist body roll a lot. You want to find the right balance for what you will drive the most.

Remember the sway is only going to affect the car's balance mid turn. Turn in and corner exit are affected much more by your choice of spring/damper.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
probably late here,

You want as little sway bar as you can while maintaining control of the car. For really aggressive driving like auto cross some people disconnect the front sway completely. What has been asked/stated before is, what does the car do mid turn? Does it understeer or oversteer? Do you want to fix either of those behaviors? Another thing to think about is, and this is more for the track. But if you are ever going through an S or left-right-left sort of turn, the more anti roll you have the weight transfers in less time. This gives you a pointy-darty kind of sensation. With that in mind, you do not want to eliminate roll, or resist body roll a lot. You want to find the right balance for what you will drive the most.

Remember the sway is only going to affect the car's balance mid turn. Turn in and corner exit are affected much more by your choice of spring/damper.
^^^^this is a true story^^^^
Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
probably late here,

Good points.

I've been considering putting some stiffer bars on my '14 GT convertible. The problem is some kits say not for convertible (some don't mention anything). I'm not sure if the extra frame stiffening parts underneath might be in the way. OR if its b/c the car is heavier.
I've been doing some lightening of the car, so I think I'm actually close to coupe weight already if that was the problem or reason for specifics.

Anyway, point is... does anybody know if I need to get convertible specific sway bars or not.

- 20 lbs alum driveshaft,
- 40 lbs lightweight tire/wheels,
- 10 lbs radiator support,
- 30 lbs no spare/jack
= 100 lb weight loss
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I just ordered the steeda adjustable front/rear kit, hopefully I will have it on the car this weekend, I'll let you guys know what I think

thanks
Rob
Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Rob,

We appreciate the support & yes, please provide your review!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

well I installed my steeda sway bars yesterday, first impression was the quality, I was very impressed everything from the bars to the endlinks, to the hardware was top notch. Very glad I chose steeda. I installed them with the rear on full soft and the front on the middle setting. First driving impression was that the car was a lot more composed, less drama at the limit. However I do have significantly more oversteer, the rear wants to lose traction under throttle and slip out when pushed. It did seem to get a little better after 20 miles or so, not sure if its the parts breaking in or me getting used to it. My question is, I am surprised that with the rear already on full soft I'm having oversteer, should I put the front on full stiff to cure it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT