Understeer and sway bars - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Understeer and sway bars

When I first got my mustang 14gt base I really wasn't happy with handling so my first mod was sway bars. I got the sr performance front adjustable and non adjustable rear... I set the front in the softest setting and it made the car a lot better to drive quickly but with under steer . I recently started auto crossing the car and added some more suspension stuff to bring the times down a little... I added bmr lower control arms, upper control arm, h&r springs, adjustable pan hard bar all at once. The car is dead flat in a curve now but when pushed wants to under steer. I think that all the mods to the rear have made it to stiff compared to the front would adjusting the front sway bar to a stiffer setting dial out the under steer or would it make it worse? I would like turn in to be a little more aggressive because now I feel as though I have to jerk the wheel and not be smooth to get it to turn in like I think it should...
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Generally, my understanding is the more bar you put on a particular end of a car, the more the opposite end is affected. To a point, more rear bar helps to keep the inside front tire planted when putting down power but too much and the whole front will just wash out wide. To follow that logic, stiffening the front bar will induce more oversteer.

You will never fully dial out understeer in all conditions in a nose heavy front engined, rear drive car. Trying will make the car super squirrelly out back, drift car style.

Just my opinion....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Stiffer rear cures understeer
Stiffer front cures oversteer.

Since your rear is non adjustable you should keep your front one full soft, or get an adjustable rear and stiffen that one.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ok thanks for the Input. I'm thinking I may put the stock front bar back on to see how that changes things...
hitmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Ok, so help a drag racer here....

So, me stiffening up the rear of my BBP car with poly bushings in the sways and PH will make the car want to hang the tail out more? So far, it just feels massively more planted out back, rather than squirrelly.

I was going to stiffen the front but not at the cost of more push.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmeagain View Post
When I first got my mustang 14gt base I really wasn't happy with handling so my first mod was sway bars. I got the sr performance front adjustable and non adjustable rear... I set the front in the softest setting and it made the car a lot better to drive quickly but with under steer . I recently started auto crossing the car and added some more suspension stuff to bring the times down a little... I added bmr lower control arms, upper control arm, h&r springs, adjustable pan hard bar all at once. The car is dead flat in a curve now but when pushed wants to under steer. I think that all the mods to the rear have made it to stiff compared to the front would adjusting the front sway bar to a stiffer setting dial out the under steer or would it make it worse? I would like turn in to be a little more aggressive because now I feel as though I have to jerk the wheel and not be smooth to get it to turn in like I think it should...
What you have left out is when you are feeling the "understeer". Also the general rule is use as little sway bar as possible while still maintaining control of the car. Also, there is no right swaybar setting/size if you will, as each driver is different and prefers different setups. If you can articulate when this understeer happens and on what type of turn we may be able to help.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT