Static VS Bagged - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Static VS Bagged

At the point of going crazy trying to weigh pros and cons of coil overs and airlift suspension. I'm not a huge fan of the stock ride height, I actually really don't like it.
The price of coilovers is a lot more attractive than the airlift, but I'm so afraid of running into a situation where I can't get over a speed bump or driveway. Obviously the airlift is the best option but spending over 3 g's on suspension for a daily seems outrageous.

Anyone else run into this? Why did you choose what you chose?
christianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
How would the air ride work in conjunction with the Panhard bar setup, not to mention all the other characteristics of the solid axle setup?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
How would the air ride work in conjunction with the Panhard bar setup, not to mention all the other characteristics of the solid axle setup?
You pretty much have a set ride height and adjust everything for that. Then you park it and lay the frame to the ground. Or if you have to go over a bump raise it up a little, go over the bump and then put it back to where it was.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Yeah, exactly. I just feel it's so much money. Was curious with those who have coilovers how many issues they face daily driving
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianh View Post
Yeah, exactly. I just feel it's so much money. Was curious with those who have coilovers how many issues they face daily driving
May not be apples to apples but i have coil overs on my 01. Right now i don't have may issues with the front end, it'll clear bumps just fine but have to be carful with curbs. I mainly scrape my exhaust if the bump is too tall. It also rides pretty rough, but thats more based on my spring choice. Bags will make the car ride a lot more comfy, most likely even more comfy than stock. So take that into consideration. I wouldn't daily drive my car with coil overs, its not the hassle with bumps that i mind, its how harsh the ride is......... But it handles AMAZINGLY.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
May not be apples to apples but i have coil overs on my 01. Right now i don't have may issues with the front end, it'll clear bumps just fine but have to be carful with curbs. I mainly scrape my exhaust if the bump is too tall. It also rides pretty rough, but thats more based on my spring choice. Bags will make the car ride a lot more comfy, most likely even more comfy than stock. So take that into consideration. I wouldn't daily drive my car with coil overs, its not the hassle with bumps that i mind, its how harsh the ride is......... But it handles AMAZINGLY.
Great, your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianh View Post

At the point of going crazy trying to weigh pros and cons of coil overs and airlift suspension. I'm not a huge fan of the stock ride height, I actually really don't like it.
The price of coilovers is a lot more attractive than the airlift, but I'm so afraid of running into a situation where I can't get over a speed bump or driveway. Obviously the airlift is the best option but spending over 3 g's on suspension for a daily seems outrageous.

Anyone else run into this? Why did you choose what you chose?
Just about all coilovers give you the option to adjust ride height. What are your hesitations otherwise? I'd give these guys a try: Automotive Suspension Experts | Fat Cat Motorsports | Serious Engineering, Serious Fun!

Give em a call and they can help you get a coilover setup for the ride height you want, and allow for the dampening curve to be proper throughout ride height adjustment.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
Just about all coilovers give you the option to adjust ride height. What are your hesitations otherwise? I'd give these guys a try: Automotive Suspension Experts | Fat Cat Motorsports | Serious Engineering, Serious Fun!

Give em a call and they can help you get a coilover setup for the ride height you want, and allow for the dampening curve to be proper throughout ride height adjustment.
Yes, they are adjustable. But I'm going to want the natural ride height to be pretty low, the tires just under the fender lips. Obiously that can be done with both system, but If I come up to a speed bump (especially ones by school) it's not like im gonna get out and wrench on all the coilovers. Thats my hesitation
Old 03-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post

Also, thanks for the link. Will check it out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT