Oil change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Oil change

I'm going to be taking my car in for an oil change. Should I take it to the dealership or use the same shop that I've been using with all my other vehicles in the past (never had an issue with the shop).

Information on my car that might help with suggestions for my next couple of questions. It's a 2013 GT, auto with 23-24k miles on it and is my dd. Performance wise (if it makes much of a difference) it just has rousch axel backs, airaid CAI, and a boss IM.

What are some of the best brand and weights that I should consider? Should I ask the shop to do anything specific? Also should I have any additives mixed in with the oil?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice that's given.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Royal purple is my choice

Black 2008 Decepticon GT "If it ain't hooking, it ain't booking" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
There are some good threads on this, but generally it seems keeping motorcraft oil in there is good, but also Royal Purple. You should check with your local shop if they carry it. I just take mine to the dealership so you know it's done properly
christianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #4

Region: Nebraska
Reply to stangs13: If you look at the additives in an oil , you will have several choices that will serve your engine well. Of course Royal Purple is a good choice. Also, ( considering price without sacrificing quality) , Mobil 1 Extended Performance is an excellent choice. Valvoline and Pennzoil also have good products in their line up. The most important factor is go strictly FULL SYNTHETIC !!!
The Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
A lot of people here have run the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend and then had analysis on it and say it's just fine and actually an excellent choice. I would tend to agree with them but there's the very legitimate placebo effect of running more expensive fancy full synthetic stuff.
If putting in *higher quality stuff makes you genuinely feel like your Mustang is safer, then it's worth it to YOU. It will mean a better driving experience (mentally) which is nothing to laugh about....
I do run Mobil 1 full synth mainly for that reason. I know the cheaper Motorcraft synth blend would prolly be just fine but....
Same with additives. I don't use any but in the past, I used Duralube or whatever because...it made me FEEL like my car was being super protected. I have since found different non car related things to splurge my money on like putting it aside in a savings account. THAT gives me more peace of mind and feels safe to me.
I run Motorcraft only filters (they're actually excellent) *for now. Because.....warranty and the tendency for dealership assholishness.
After warranty, I'll run whatever comparable quality filter makes me feel good....except Fram.

*At 44 years old now, I have had two dozen different cars. Some I did the basic and simple preventative maintenance on and others I went overboard with expensive (high quality) stuff.
NONE of my cars blew up or had motor problems or otherwise gave me issues that would have been related to oil or oil filters. Sooooo some of those cars,i wasted money on expensive purple crap. But not really because in MY head, it ran better and drove better. And in the end, that's what makes your driving experience even better.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Mobil 1 is a base 3 oil so calling it fully synthetic is a stretch.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Since your car is fairly new & I assume under warranty still. I would get most of my maintenance work done at your preferred Ford dealership, so in case you have any warranty issues they'll see you have a service record with them. That you're a loyal customer, etc... and are more likely to help you out when/if they can. Also, often times when you go in for an oil change, etc.. there might be TSB/Recall work that they can do while you're in there. Or update your Sync software at your request, etc.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I run Motorcraft 5W-20 semi synthetic in my street (not track) application ‘14 GT and have it checked with used oil analysis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03-25-2015 01;35;51PM - smaller Copy - Copy.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	601.6 KB
ID:	178422  
Old 03-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Those numbers and comments from Blackstone look good! They also say that you added a supercharger? And recommend going to 7k miles next time? Sounds like Motorcraft Synth blend is just fine and saves money and is what Ford says to use.
Grabber...what is base 3 oil and which full synth is not that and why?
Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Don't assume just because it's a synthetic it's going to be better. Back in the day I was a big fan of Mobil 1 and used it in all of my vehicles. I bought a new 98 chevy truck with the 5.7L. I ran the truck on conventional oil for about the first 10,000 miles and then switched over to Mobil 1.

I kept oil change intervals to every 3,000 miles like the manual called for while under warranty. After my truck went out of warranty at around 30,000 miles, I extended my interval to 5,000 miles on the Mobil 1 and then had an oil analysis done.

Analysis came back with high wear rates in several of the categories and the lab recommended going back to 3,000 miles oil changes. I did go back to 3,000 mile changes and continued to have oil analysis done with results that I was not happy with. I ended up going back to a Chevron conventional oil and my oil analysis results got better and the lab recommended trying 4,000 mile intervals with it.

My point is that Mobil 1 was touted as the best oil out there at the time. My analysis results along with the engine being more noisy and using more oil with Mobil 1 showed me that for my application, it was not the best. I was not getting my money's worth. I also got pretty much the same results and recommendation for my ex-wife's 98 Grand Prix GT at the time.

This is why even though I know the oils have improved since the early 2000's when I ran Mobil 1, I won't use Mobil 1 again. I still see oil analysis results on Mobil1 over on the bobistheoilguy website that don't impress me.

That is why I hate hearing people blindly recommend a synthetic just because it's a synthetic. Sometimes synthetics don't work as well in certain applications as well as a regular conventional might.

Wayne
Old 03-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Those numbers and comments from Blackstone look good! They also say that you added a supercharger? And recommend going to 7k miles next time? Sounds like Motorcraft Synth blend is just fine and saves money and is what Ford says to use.
Yes, I added a Roush phase 1 supercharger kit after a 1,000 mile (naturally aspirated) break in period. The factory fill oil was changed at 3,500 miles and tested. I’ve since upgraded to the Roush phase 2 supercharger which is what the second sample report reflects. I'll run the fresh 5W-20 oil change to 7,000 miles and submit another sample.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I know not everyone likes mobil 1 but they have a pretty good deal going right now until May I believe.

They send you a rebate for 12 dollars off a 5 quart jug of full synthetic, limit 2 per household. Most retailers are honoring the program. I did mine at walmart. Did the 5-20w for mine. They were about 25 dollars each before rebate.

Grabbed 2 additional 5-30w jugs for my wife's G37. Did the rebates through a family member for these. Thats 2 oil changes in her car, damn our 8+ quarts.
SK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Amsoil and Redline are the only true full synthetics that are a Group IV left on the market. All the rest are a Group III hydrocracked petroleum based oil. That includes Mobil 1 and Royal Purple among others.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Amsoil and Redline are the only true full synthetics that are a Group IV left on the market. All the rest are a Group III hydrocracked petroleum based oil. That includes Mobil 1 and Royal Purple among others.
I never knew that until now. I also did some research online today and see what you're talking about. It's a shame those two brands aren't more easily available in local stores.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There's a reason Amsoil will never sell out to the likes of Walmart.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I'm going to run Mobil 1 my next oil chance. Been running it for years. Never had an issue.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Grabber, I was just getting ready to say the same thing. Royal Purple use to be a group IV, but not anymore. I prefer Amsoil in my cars.

litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspeed7x View Post
I'm going to run Mobil 1 my next oil chance. Been running it for years. Never had an issue.
You also own a 2004 so that has nothing to do with what we're discussing here.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuse View Post
Grabber, I was just getting ready to say the same thing. Royal Purple use to be a group IV, but not anymore. I prefer Amsoil in my cars.
Yep, they have sold out as well.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Royal purple is the only one who makes a oil thay can withstand e85 as of right now though. It's there xpr line. $20 a quart but it makes a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't put E85 in my worst enemies car! How does motor oil care what fuel you use? I mean....they're not supposed to mix in the crankcase right? Or am I doing this wrong?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't put E85 in my worst enemies car! How does motor oil care what fuel you use? I mean....they're not supposed to mix in the crankcase right? Or am I doing this wrong?
Well you obviously have no clue what your talking about.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know much about oil and fuel mixing but I know I drove Ford test cars on E85 and they were destroyed within 6 months. The E85 ate every component like acid. It wasn't developed for performance but because government forcing renewable energy vehicles.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know much about oil and fuel mixing but I know I drove Ford test cars on E85 and they were destroyed within 6 months. The E85 ate every component like acid. It wasn't developed for performance but because government forcing renewable energy vehicles.
Exactly. It breaks down oil extremely fast due to the alcohol in it.

It wasn't developed for performance, but is the best bang for the buck. 105 octane makes a hell of a difference with the timing you can add. It's been the only fuel running through my car since the built motor

Old 03-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

A lot of high horsepower vette builds run e85, especially boosted cars.
SK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you there sir. Mobil.1 Extended Performance is a true base IV synthetic! That's different than regular Mobil 1.

Since when is Royal Purple no longer a Base IV synthetic oil?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK GT View Post
A lot of high horsepower vette builds run e85, especially boosted cars.
Everyone runs e85.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Everyone runs e85.

It would be nice to have it available

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Well after checking prices for Amway oil and Redline, I've decided I feel just fine running Mobil 1 on sale. My opinion...it's not even necessary but I feel like I'm treating my car better. I'll spend a few extra dollars but I'm sure not going to spend $75 just on 8 qts of oil.
Some people keep their cars forever and that sort of thing may give piece of mind. I typically don't and I'll do great preventative maintenance but not go extremes.
This thread sounds like people talking about fine wines.....they all make you drunk and taste the same after the first 6 glasses.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
It would be nice to have it available

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

No kidding. Closest e85 here is 2 hours from my house.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
did that void any of your warranties by the boss intake
Stang_u_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:51 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_u_14 View Post
did that void any of your warranties by the boss intake
Ummmmm.....what? I missed the part about Boss intakes..
Try putting down this intake
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2015, 01:01 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Ummmmm.....what? I missed the part about Boss intakes..
Try putting down this intake
Ha ha ha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you there sir. Mobil.1 Extended Performance is a true base IV synthetic! That's different than regular Mobil 1.

Since when is Royal Purple no longer a Base IV synthetic oil?
New study from Amsoil
Old 03-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #35
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That's good info if true since I think it is the same price, right?
Any good links that talk about it, just like to read more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT