rad_rob's build thread. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #1

Region: California
rad_rob's build thread.

So recently I picked up my 2014 recently and the build is already underway. I have a build thread going on another forum as well, but for those of you that spend majority of the time on this forum, I thought it would be cool to update you guys on the progress of my build here as well. Some of the posts may seem a little out of order, but Im just going to update the posts to get you guys caught up to where I'm at now.

A little over 2 months ago now, I picked up my '14 GT. Got a really great price on it, and it only had 6k on the odometer. I immediately fell in love with it. I always knew I would probably always own a Mustang, and this just reassured me of that. Here it is pretty much right after I bought it.

Well, being stock didn't last long. I immediately picked up some H&R Super Sport springs, Tokico D-Spec struts and shocks, adjustable panhard bar, upper and lower control arms, and GT500 strut mounts. I also picked up some sway bars, but I don't know if I'll be installing them. The stock ones that come on the '14 are pretty damn big.

Installed it all on a Saturday, and this is what I ended up with.

Once that was done, I needed to address the audio. The previous owner had installed an aftermarket system, and when he/she traded it in, pulled it all out and put complete junk in its place. Not a big deal, but it needed to be taken care of. So I ended up installing a full JL Audio system. Not too many pictures as I wanted it clean, but I have a couple. I installed the following:

JL Audio C5 3-way components
JL Audio C2 coaxial for the rear
JL Audio 12W6v3
JL Audio JX1000/1
JL Audio XD400/4

I had the doors completely covered in dynamat, and also had custom adapters made. The nice thing about having the base door panels, is that it allowed me to put the 6 1/2's where teh 8" woofer is on the premium panels, and then put the 3" mid speaker where the stock speaker goes. I then relocated the mirror adjustment switch, and installed the tweeters in the door pillars. The 3-way crossovers are abdolutely massive, and they are mounted behind the door panel in a safe place. As you can imagine, this setup sounds absolutely insane. Definitely the most I have spent on a stereo before, but it was worth absolutely every penny.

This time, my car is being built in collaboration with Cars by Kris. A lot of you have probably seen his work, but his renderings are completely unreal with the level of quality he puts into them. If you haven't seen some of them, you can check out his site here: Cars by Kris | Welcome He has built quite a few cars for Ford for the SEMA show, some of which are below. He also does design work for so many projects you have probably seen around the forums. If you pick up some Hot Wheels, you have also seen some of his work, as he designs some of the packaging for them. I am honored to say I had a part in building the Pit Boss and the Ring Leader:

For 2010, the Pit Boss was built:

For 2011 and 2012, the Ring Leader was built. There were 2 versions of this car, the 2nd taking it up another notch:

For 2013 and 2014, the High Roller was built:

Kris is a good buddy of mine, and an amazing automotive designer. I tell him some of my ideas for the car, and he pretty much tells me which ones are dumb, and which ones we should run with. Well, he just finished up the rendering for me recently, and I was stoked to get going before, but after seeing this, it made me anxious to start ordering parts. I took a couple pictures while he was in the process of building the 3d model, and then below that is the finished product.

This isn't my first build, and my old car we built for the 2008 SEMA show. This build is going to be much cleaner than that build was, while still being a car that can stand out in a crowd.
rad_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #2

Next up, the wheels arrived. I decided on a set of Niche Essen's. They are 20x10 all the way around. I am not a huge fan of black on black cars, so the color needed to be changed. I did a test fit, and they look like they are going to work. Its going to be tight, but they will work.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

So once that was done, it was on to tires. I was torn between a few different sizes. I hate the look of rubber band tires. I really like having a nice beefy tire. So it came down to either running a 275/35/20 all the way around, or going just a tiny bit wider and running a 285/35/20. In the end I decided on running Toyo Proxes Sport T1's in a 285/35/20. HUGE thanks to Toyo for the tires! I ordered them on a Friday, and they showed up the next day. Granted, I am close to their warehouse, but wasn't able to make it out there due to my work hours. Once they showed up, I got a little nervous. These will clear the rear with no problems at all. The front might be a tight squeeze. We'll have to wait and see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

So at this point, the wheels had been dropped off at the powder coater, and they did a killer job on them. They lost my wheels for a couple days, but in the end, it all worked out. Im pretty excited how they came out!

Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Wow looks great so far! Can't wait to see the progression.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #6

So now for the BIG part of the build. A couple of weeks ago, I took the car down to Whipple, so they can use my car to finish up the R&D on their new front-feed 2.9L kit. While it was there, they were going to also be installing their MASSIVE heat exchanger, as well as their 132MM throttle body. I dropped it off their about 2 weeks ago now, and in that 2 weeks they have made quite a bit of progress with it. I also had them powder coat the blower a very special color.

Fast forward a few days, and then I was sent this photo. The heat exchanger is just massive.

Then a couple hours later, I was sent this:

Theyre going to have it for a couple more weeks still. They are finishing up the air box on it now, and then they will be making a new coolant tank as well. This will be the very first 2011-2014 with this kit installed, and they are also using it to make their installation instructions as well, so if you buy this kit, this will be the car you see. I am trying not to get too excited yet because then it will make these next couple of weeks hell.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Then there is the exhaust. Magnaflow sent me over a GT500 catback system with their street series mufflers in black, as well as their Tru-X x-pipe. I decided on the street series to try to keep the car streetable without pissing off all my neighbors. Of course, that's only until I get the long tube headers and high flow cats. Then all bets are off. I have also purchased a GT500 rear valance from CJ Pony Parts which should be here later this week. Unfortunately, I can't install anything until I get the car back. If all goes according to plan, I will have about a week to prep the car for FFF at Knott's.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Wow looks great so far! Can't wait to see the progression.
Thanks! Yeah, this took off much faster than I thought it would. haha. I have my first son on the way, and he'll be here in about 6-7 weeks, so I am trying to get as much done as I can before then so I dont have to worry about a car in pieces in my garage. haha
Old 03-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_rob View Post
Thanks! Yeah, this took off much faster than I thought it would. haha. I have my first son on the way, and he'll be here in about 6-7 weeks, so I am trying to get as much done as I can before then so I dont have to worry about a car in pieces in my garage. haha

Congrats man. I also have that same exhaust on mine except it's not a quad tip set up (kinda wish it was) but it sounds amazing. The true x with that set up is a must. I can only imagine how loud it gets when you go off road with it but it's definitely enough for me. That supercharger looks great also. I'm jealous.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Congrats man. I also have that same exhaust on mine except it's not a quad tip set up (kinda wish it was) but it sounds amazing. The true x with that set up is a must. I can only imagine how loud it gets when you go off road with it but it's definitely enough for me. That supercharger looks great also. I'm jealous.
Thank you sir! Yeah I'm really excited to hear what this is going to sound like. Do you have any videos of yours?

Although, I think Im more excited to hear the blower than the exhaust. haha
Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Awesome build. The color they did the blower is great. You doing the calipers and other accents that same color I assume?
SK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_rob View Post
Thank you sir! Yeah I'm really excited to hear what this is going to sound like. Do you have any videos of yours?

Although, I think Im more excited to hear the blower than the exhaust. haha

I do have some vids but I need to figure out how to post them. But honestly the videos don't do it any justice.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

This looks amazing so far.
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK GT View Post
Awesome build. The color they did the blower is great. You doing the calipers and other accents that same color I assume?
Yeah, the brakes will be the next area Ill be taking care of. Right now, I may just end up running the 6-piston GT500 brakes in the front, and leaving the stock in the rear. I'm not entirely sure which route I'll be headed yet. The brakes will be color matched to the blower though, and I really don't like the idea of painting the stock calipers. haha
Old 04-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Great build. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Very nice work. How you like that whipple? I'm still weighing my options as to whether I want the whipple, vmp, or paxton (odd ball) ultimately.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Very nice work. How you like that whipple? I'm still weighing my options as to whether I want the whipple, vmp, or paxton (odd ball) ultimately.
Well that car is still at Whipple now for about another week or so, so I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. This new front-feed 2.9L kit is supposed to be pretty awesome though. I mean the dude's at Lethal hit 805rwhp on their 2015 using this same blower. You're always going to get lots of different opinions on what kit to run, and a LOT of people swear that going with a single turbo setup on these motors is the way to go. I have always liked going with a supercharger setup, and I had a great opportunity to pick this kit up through Whipple, and I am really happy abut that. I would definitely just say check out a lot of threads and read what people are saying about all the kits. I will have my car back soon, and I will be able to give you a little more info on how the kit drives and what not.

That is, of course, once I get over not wanting to slam the throttle down. haha
Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have the exact same car but 2013. Same color, wheels..everything. It's hard to keep clean though and I'm looking into replacing the rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #19

So time for another update. The car is still down at Whipple, and they are just about done over there. Should be about another week or so. The had a air box rapid prototyped and when it showed up, they weren't satisfied with the fitment on it. It was hard to tell from the photos, but they just weren't happy with the way everything fit. Still looked pretty cool either way.

They are going to rework the air box, but in the meantime, decided to fabricate a steel box in its place. While the box was being worked on, they started doing some pull with the car on the dyno. The very first pull, the car put down 517hp with a very conservative tune. After some tweaking of the tune, they got the car to 564hp @ 5000rpm. At this point, the car started to lean out above 5400rpm, so they had to stop for the time being. They were trying to avoid adding a boost a pump to keep the cost of the kit down, but after some more testing, they realized it was not going to be possible if they wanted to get higher numbers. So as of right now, the boost a pump is being wired in. Once that is done, they are going to put it back on the dyno to start doing some more tuning. I'll post the numbers up once I get them. There is talks of this kit being offered in different stages for different power numbers obviously at different pricing. None of that is confirmed, just kind of the thought process right now. This is just part of the process of doing R&D.

They new metal box was finished up yesterday and after some test fitting, was sent off to powder coat. They also made some new brackets for the huge heat exchanger to push it back just a little bit to allow them to install twin SPAL fans.

Anyways, so that's where I'm at now. I'm being told the car should be all buttoned up next week, and then Ill make the drive out to go pick it up. Cannot wait to get behind the wheel!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT