2011+GT vs 2012 BOSS HELP!!!! ADVICE, OPINIONS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Antonio
Region: Texas
Posts: 2
2011+GT vs 2012 BOSS HELP!!!! ADVICE, OPINIONS

OK. Hope everyone is having a great day. So here it goes. I messed up and got a 2012 V6 Premium Couope about a year ago. I loved the car initially but with anything I started doing upgrades and upgrades and been thinking about Procharging the car. Now with all in consideration, Procharger system, dyno tune, installation its looking at around a total cost of $7,000.00,( being optimistic hereif everything goes right).
I am getting a decent bonus from work in about 2 months and been thinking of just upgrading, seeing that the V-6 can only go max to maybe 500HP SAFELY!!!
So with the bonus I am getting I can put a decent down payment and trade this 2012 V6 in which sucks because I have negative equity in it but I am figuring if I am going to do these upgrades and all, Im literally putting the money into it that I can use for down payment on something that has more potential.
So I am now on the fence of which way to go, Mustang 2011+ 5.0 or 2012 BOSS 302 Mustang, Ive seen 5.0 premiums with decent mileage for around 23,000-28,000 and 2012 Boss for about 32,000-36,000. I am curious anyone opinion that has a 5.0 or Boss which they would prefer and why? I know eventually I would want to do mods to it but I am curious should I pay the little extra for the Boss or stick 5.0 and use extra cash I save for mods?
Sorry so long everyone just wanted to put all details out there so you understand where im coming from. I also was looking at a 2007 Shelby GT500 for 25,000 with 66,000 miles but I don't know if that will be the way either obviously its already supercharged and has a lot of performance upgrades already. Anybody with good opinions and/or experience I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
__________________
2012 V6 Mustang Premium. Kona Blue. 1.5 SVE Lowering Springs. J&M Panhard Bar. SR Performance Strut Tower Brace. JLT CAI. 93 Octane BAMA Race Tune.
john21martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Get a GT with the auto and don't look back.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by john21martin View Post
seeing that the V-6 can only go max to maybe 500HP SAFELY!!!
Um what?! The killer6 car was sitting safely at 700+ on the stock bottom end, and that's before the shot of nitrous!
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Um what?! The killer6 car was sitting safely at 700+ on the stock bottom end, and that's before the shot of nitrous!
In the end they were trying to blow The thing up to see what the limit was and finally gave up and forged it lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
OX1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: jackson
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Unless you want auto, I'd take the Boss in a heartbeat. Big head start on the suspension, 24 HP over even the 13/14 GT, nice large wheels/tires. Will hold it's value much better long term than possibly even some Shelby's, as it was only made 2 years in retro bodystyle, which you will never see again.
__________________
86 Capri, turbo, 3.27's-12.66 @ 107.75
14 GT-Roush Phs 3, VMP 93 tune, Whiteline Sway Bars, Roush U/L Rear Control Arms, 18 X 9/10 Bullits with 295/255 NT05's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular
 
oxford5pointoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Murica
Region: Other
Posts: 4,069
Boss if you can afford it. It's going to be the best investment. Plus that motor is made to be thrashed on. Take care of it and that car will pay you back one day. If I had it to do over I might have tried to find a clean boss. But I commute too much, I'd of felt terrible putting 35-40k a year on a boss.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
RJTheIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Get a GT with the auto and don't look back.

This
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular
 
Famine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rapid City
Region: South Dakota
Posts: 684
This all makes me sad I didn't get the boss.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
jer
Registered Member
Regular
 
jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Santa Clara
Region: California
Posts: 47
The investment part on cars is only if you are keeping it low miles, MAYBE after 15+ year might a car with over 50k miles be worth some coin. Until then, you will see minimal returns. It will depreciate slower than a 5.0 though!

If I was keeping the car, I would go Boss and get hellion TT.
If you're on a budget, nothing wrong with a base 5.0, Recaro seats and brembos, although not sure if they do those packages with an auto.
also, if you're a drag or roll racer the auto is your best bet.
jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,045
Although the boss' are nice realistically there is nothing "special" about them aside from the name. I believe the Intel difference with the engine is the intake and mild head porting which can be done to a GT. You have the quad exhaust which is nice but aftermarket will provide better gains, and of course the suspension which can be done as well.

The thing to ask yourself is do you want to mod the car or have a turn key package with badges?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by john21martin View Post
OK. Hope everyone is having a great day. So here it goes. I messed up and got a 2012 V6 Premium Couope about a year ago. I loved the car initially but with anything I started doing upgrades and upgrades and been thinking about Procharging the car. Now with all in consideration, Procharger system, dyno tune, installation its looking at around a total cost of $7,000.00,( being optimistic hereif everything goes right).
I am getting a decent bonus from work in about 2 months and been thinking of just upgrading, seeing that the V-6 can only go max to maybe 500HP SAFELY!!!
So with the bonus I am getting I can put a decent down payment and trade this 2012 V6 in which sucks because I have negative equity in it
My advice is pay down your negative equity. Use the money you are getting to pay it down instead of adding upgrades. I understand you're going to to what you want but I strongly advise you wait to trade in until the end of the year when you can get a good deal on newer models anyway. You'll do better financially and get what you want. It just takes some patience.
__________________
2012 GT (Brembo)
MGW Race spec
Steeda Sports
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
dave73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mechanicsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 1,058
2011+GT vs 2012 BOSS HELP!!!! ADVICE, OPINIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Although the boss' are nice realistically there is nothing "special" about them aside from the name. I believe the Intel difference with the engine is the intake and mild head porting which can be done to a GT. You have the quad exhaust which is nice but aftermarket will provide better gains, and of course the suspension which can be done as well.

The thing to ask yourself is do you want to mod the car or have a turn key package with badges?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

If you can get a Boss get it...the Boss is a lot more than just some graphics. It handles like no other Mustang I've driven. The heads are ported and polished but it also has forged internals, different cams, intake, 3:73 gears,Brembo brakes, suspension upgrades and more. True it can all be done aftermarket to a GT but the Boss is nice because you don't see a lot of them. Im not downing the GT or anything but the Bosses really are not that expensive they only sell for 5-7k over a GT in comparable condition and with the upgrade package it has coupled with the rarity it's a good deal.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
jer
Registered Member
Regular
 
jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Santa Clara
Region: California
Posts: 47
^ this guy knows what he's talking about.
boss has better internals (road runner motor) vs the coyote.
Horsepower on spike did a hellion TT install on a boss, upgraded fuel injectors and full exhaust got them 904 rwhp at 16lbs.
I'm a road course guy at heart, but if the boss had an auto, holy hell what a package to do a TT kit on.

The guy that said pay the equity and have patience is 110% spot on. Have patience it will pay off and you will have more choices.
jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:29 AM   #14
OX1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: jackson
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
The investment part on cars is only if you are keeping it low miles, MAYBE after 15+ year might a car with over 50k miles be worth some coin. Until then, you will see minimal returns. It will depreciate slower than a 5.0 though!

If I was keeping the car, I would go Boss and get hellion TT.
If you're on a budget, nothing wrong with a base 5.0, Recaro seats and brembos, although not sure if they do those packages with an auto.
also, if you're a drag or roll racer the auto is your best bet.
I guess define coin? I happen to own and like EVO's (only non ford I like really). I have an 8, but the EVO 9 (the best combination of that car ever made) is still going for crazy money for a car that is 10 years old (or close), many pulling from 50-75% of their original value, many with upwards of 100K miles.

Anyway, sometimes a manufacturer gets one right and I think withthe combo of a true factory car (not a Rousch or Saleen), relatively low original sticker price, low production, overall balance of the car (motor to suspension), and the retro body style, it will hold it's value real well. A 15 by comparison, 15 years from now, will be about as desirable as a 1999 is now (not very).

I'm not saying buy it to make money, but it will be worth more 5-10 years from now vs a GT that you put the exact same (and even more ) mods into.
__________________
86 Capri, turbo, 3.27's-12.66 @ 107.75
14 GT-Roush Phs 3, VMP 93 tune, Whiteline Sway Bars, Roush U/L Rear Control Arms, 18 X 9/10 Bullits with 295/255 NT05's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
If YOU are going to mod it either way, get the GT. If I bought a Boss, I would keep it the way it is. I'm not saying it's dumb to get a Boss to mod, but my favorite Mustang of all time is the 2012 Boss LS. Looks, performance, everything- number one, best.

IF you just want top performance and want to thrash it, get the newer GT and spend that extra change from the price difference on modifications.

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #16
jer
Registered Member
Regular
 
jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Santa Clara
Region: California
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
I guess define coin? I happen to own and like EVO's (only non ford I like really). I have an 8, but the EVO 9 (the best combination of that car ever made) is still going for crazy money for a car that is 10 years old (or close), many pulling from 50-75% of their original value, many with upwards of 100K miles.

Anyway, sometimes a manufacturer gets one right and I think withthe combo of a true factory car (not a Rousch or Saleen), relatively low original sticker price, low production, overall balance of the car (motor to suspension), and the retro body style, it will hold it's value real well. A 15 by comparison, 15 years from now, will be about as desirable as a 1999 is now (not very).

I'm not saying buy it to make money, but it will be worth more 5-10 years from now vs a GT that you put the exact same (and even more ) mods into.
sorry but the best evo never made it state side, Evo VI or Evo V or go home!

I'm not a fan of the EVO's here, but Terminators have those cars beat when it comes to resale. Cars like those, with low mileage and 1-2 owners will command close to if not equal to new prices. imo, more coin means low production numbers, they made too many regular 5.0s to bring what a boss or terminator would bring.
jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #17
OX1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: jackson
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
sorry but the best evo never made it state side, Evo VI or Evo V or go home!

I'm not a fan of the EVO's here, but Terminators have those cars beat when it comes to resale. Cars like those, with low mileage and 1-2 owners will command close to if not equal to new prices. imo, more coin means low production numbers, they made too many regular 5.0s to bring what a boss or terminator would bring.
I was not talking about cars that were not sold here. What would be the point on discussing US resale vs new cost if you could not buy the car here new?

Anyway, that is another good example. So much better than the regular stang of it's era, factory done (more or less), low volume, low price for what you got, etc...

I guess as others have mentioned, if your final goal is mildy modded power and a full susp, just get the Boss. If you want a 600+ HP drag car, get the auto GT. If you have no money, get base GTt manual.
__________________
86 Capri, turbo, 3.27's-12.66 @ 107.75
14 GT-Roush Phs 3, VMP 93 tune, Whiteline Sway Bars, Roush U/L Rear Control Arms, 18 X 9/10 Bullits with 295/255 NT05's
OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jbone007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 435
Get the Boss if you can find one in your price range, driving in a straight line you won't notice much difference between the two but once you hit a corner there is no comparison!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Boss 227 :: 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 227 alrefire Member Garages 8 11-18-2015 10:15 PM
Need advice on buying a Base 2011/2012 Manual V6 blkmambajr50 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 11 04-02-2015 09:39 AM
2012 5.0 vs 2012 boss 302 ChrisThompson 2011-2014 Mustang GT 12 02-19-2015 02:53 PM
2012 Camaro SS, 2012 Mustang Boss 302, or 2012 Mustang Gt Premium? iseabail General Mustang Discussion 4 07-18-2011 11:12 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:55 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.