Need suggestions for exhaust changes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Need suggestions for exhaust changes

Long story short, I used to drive a 2011 GT with Roush axle backs and evidently either resonator delete OR some type of H pipe or x pipe. The reason I say that, is that is was LOUD! It was raspy, it droned and popped and gurgled but it just sounded sweet. Probably too loud but when it was annoying, I just babied it. I didn't know what setup it had exactly, I bought it used and assumed it was just that way from the ROUSH axle backs.
My 2014 now has Roush axle backs and resonators are still there. It sounds sweet but not insane like my last one. I'm considering a resonator delete with just a cheap solution of having straight pipes welded in there instead of the resonators....BUT
* I'm concerned that I may get failed at state inspection in December because of noise. I don't have the original factory mufflers to switch out prior to inspection.
Is there a ghetto device like silencers I could put on my Roush axle back tips to quiet it down temporarily just before inspection? Or any other cheap and quick way to calm the beast?
I'm even wondering if I can stuff a bunch of steel wool in there and fish it out with a coat hanger!
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

You could put a large flowmaster on it, for the inspection then reinstall the Roush mufflers after the inspection...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other

You can pick up stock mufflers for hardly anything. That way you could swap them if need be. I see them ALL the time for less than 100 bucks a pair with less than 1000 miles on them.

I can't imagine it would fail inspection for those resonators being removed. Do you know what the laws in your state are as far as DB levels?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Waylap, where are you located?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in NH. Here's what I think the current muffler sound law says:
Also, I'm in an area where there are few if any 11-14 GT Mustangs where I would be able to find a cheap set of used factory mufflers locally to switch in if I had to. The law looks subjective and dependent on the opinion of the inspection station...but let's face it, Roush without resonators is excessive and unusual if we're being honest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	179117  
Old 04-05-2015, 12:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

And here's what she would sound like with My Roush AB and no resonators.... I love the sound! There's alot of people however that think it's way too loud. I sort of agree but yolo
Old 04-05-2015, 01:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Yeah I figured you would maybe have that problem finding them locally. I also looked at NH law and your right. It's subjective. Guess you will need to find a place and feel them out. But here is a set on eBay in PA. 40.00 shipping but it's an auction, I doubt it will see much action and it's at .99 right now. Throw in a bid last min of 60-70 bucks I bet you win them for less.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=151636984019
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's not bad. I figured shipping would be too expensive because they're so heavy. That would be my safest bet if I had to, is switch to stock ABs if I didn't pass. And then switch back after I get the sticker. I was just hoping someone knew of a real easy cheater way, like some sort of plug or insert that took 5 mins and actually worked.
Switching ABs in and out in December in an unheated garage isn't so fun and would take me about an hour or two.
If I can't find somthing like that, I'll buy the used factory set then.
I'm fortunate enough that my wife thinks my current setup isn't loud enough
She's a Ford fanatic...especially Mustangs and Raptors.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
That's not bad. I figured shipping would be too expensive because they're so heavy. That would be my safest bet if I had to, is switch to stock ABs if I didn't pass. And then switch back after I get the sticker. I was just hoping someone knew of a real easy cheater way, like some sort of plug or insert that took 5 mins and actually worked.
Switching ABs in and out in December in an unheated garage isn't so fun and would take me about an hour or two.
If I can't find somthing like that, I'll buy the used factory set then.
I'm fortunate enough that my wife thinks my current setup isn't loud enough
She's a Ford fanatic...especially Mustangs and Raptors.
Get a set of,ratcheting wrenches and those puppies will be swapped out a lot quicker!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'm your neighbor from MA and I think I heard it when you made that video.LOL
Wouldn't hurt to experiment over the summer months with the steel wool method.
Here's a copy from another source.
Temporary Fix
1. Drill two very small holes in your tailpipe, about 10 inches from the end.

2. Shove a wad of steel wool into the tailpipe. The wad of steel wool should go in as far as the holes that were drilled. The steel wool will work as a damper to absorb some of the sound without a dramatic effect on the vehicles performance.

3. Thread the wire into one hole, through the steel wool and out the other hole. Twist it around the tail pipe to secure it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I'm in NH. Here's what I think the current muffler sound law says:
Also, I'm in an area where there are few if any 11-14 GT Mustangs where I would be able to find a cheap set of used factory mufflers locally to switch in if I had to. The law looks subjective and dependent on the opinion of the inspection station...but let's face it, Roush without resonators is excessive and unusual if we're being honest.
I would give you mine if you were closer. I'm sure shipping would be pricey from South Dakota to you. They're pretty heavy and I think it would be over-sized shipping.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Maybe this
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust