I need to source Ford Paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I need to source Ford Paint

So I recently decided to fix every little nick and scratch in my paint. I purchased the .5 oz Ford Motorcraft paint and used it with great success over the majority of my paint problems. I wet sanded, compounded, swirl removed, polished and waxed the car EXCEPT for the front bumper and a small area behind the rear driver wheel. The front bumper had so many little rock nicks I decided to repair and re-spray it. I used glazing putty to fill the holes, primed it, and got it all ready. Instead of using my hvlp gun, I bought a couple of cans from Scratch Wizard to match my Kona Blue L6 paint code. I was hoping to avoid all the clean up associated with the hvlp gun and I had read a lot of positive reviews so I bought paint from them.
After a lot of prep, taping off, and painting, I pulled the paper off to find the color was WAY off! Like two shades too dark. It is also lacking the metallic look. The clear dried with a lot more orange peel than one would ever want to reasonably sand. I did a lot of good prep work, taking my time. I wiped it down multiple times with cleaner and a tack cloth just before I sprayed and in between layers. The temp was right, the cans were well shaken. I did everything one would normally do and over and above what the instructions on the scratch wizard product suggested.
I wet sanded the section behind the read wheel, about 1/2 s.f. It took me about 1 careful hour of sanding to get it flattened back down but the color is still way off. and there is no metallic to it. In comparison, where I used the Ford Motorcraft touch up paint and then wet sanded, compounded, etc, in the post paint procedure, you cannot find where I repaired the paint!
I am not about to wet sand the front bumper, I need to re-spray the whole thing. Instead of careful wet sanding, I will power sand it down, re-prime, and re-paint.
Same with behind the rear wheel, but I will have to blend it in, ugh... I can do it, but I need the right paint!
OK, question, where can I get a quart of paint match for a 2012 Kona Blue GT?
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 04:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have you contacted a ford dealer? Also maybe the paint on your car has faded a little? You could try a local paint shop and have them color matched you some paint
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's a good idea. I thought of that too first thing this morning. I am planning to see my local Ford dealer today on my lunch break to see about getting a quart of color and a quart of clear. My paint isn't faded much if at all since I keep it inside, and don't daily drive it.
I also found two other possible sources of Ford won't sell me some OEM paint. Www.automotivetouchup.com and www.expresspaint appear to have the Kona blue in all volumes up to gallons. Anyone ever buy from these folks?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Also, I just received a credit for every penny I spent for paint from Scratch Wizard. So even though the paint didn't match and turned out horribly, at least they did the right thing by refunding me the $180 I gave them for color and clear paint!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 04-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Go to O'Reilly and give them the 2 letter code from the sticker behind your door
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT