sct preloaded tune or custom tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
sct preloaded tune or custom tune

here it is guys. i have Borla stinger axle backs and i am getting my Steeda cai. do i go with sct preloaded tune or do i go with a custom tune. I know Bama offers tunes for life but i was leaning towards going to Brothers Performance in Florida. What does everyone think about the preloaded tunes by sct? I am not racing, my car is for daily driving but i am looking for a little more power but much better throttle response. Any help?? by the way i have a 2014 gt automatic.
buddyrich14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
sct preloaded tune or custom tune

Do not use the canned tunes on the SCT device. Bama is a decent choice, but for the auto 5.0s Mike Rousch with www.Midatlanticperformance.net is the man to go to. Give him a call and he can get you setup. I've been running his tunes for about 6 months and love em.
RollDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
A good email tune.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyrich14 View Post
here it is guys. i have Borla stinger axle backs and i am getting my Steeda cai. do i go with sct preloaded tune or do i go with a custom tune. I know Bama offers tunes for life but i was leaning towards going to Brothers Performance in Florida. What does everyone think about the preloaded tunes by sct? I am not racing, my car is for daily driving but i am looking for a little more power but much better throttle response. Any help?? by the way i have a 2014 gt automatic.
Hey Buddy,

I would suggest staying away from their canned tunes as I personally don't think that they're going to yield that much of a difference in horsepower and torque - For what it's worth a custom tune is definitely where it's going to be at and the Bama Team would be happy to tune your 2014 and show you what's possible! Their new V2 Tunes have been out for some time and there's threads all over here along with a few different forums with customers feedback - Some one the best aspects about Bama for the Automatic Guys is that they're going to have a drastically improved driving experience.

It's no secret that Ford's transmissions/stock tunes are a little lack lust (Ask me how I know) I just bought a 2014 EcoBoost F150 left over and the transmission is just as bad if not worse than what's on the 11+ cars - You step on the gas, it shudders, hesitates, takes a few seconds to make up its mind - (I'm over exaggerating here but I demand power in a fraction of a second) I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with what they're able to do for you and if you're to have any other questions, let me know and I'm happy to help out.

I'm sure someone with a V2 on their auto will chime in here shortly as well!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Alex. i need help!!! The more people i speak to the more i get confused. I was very close today to buying this and jsut goingwith the sct preloaded tune. i need help. I don't want to make the wrong decision with this. THe local shop doesn't reccomnent Bama but the new tunes seem to have good reviews.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

This is a stressful decision!!! i like the Steeda intake but so confused about all this tuning stuff. I want to plug a tune and forget it. Seems like bama may be the way to go. SCT i can get today but only with the preloaded tunes. As far a rousch goes i hear they are good too. My head is spinning. this newbie needs help.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

what is the turn around on american muscle shipping of intake and to provide the tunes?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
For an auto go with Mike Rousch and don't look back.

And skip the intake.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Skip the intake? just get a good tune?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Seriously man you've got a great intake already from the factory. You can do Bama for convenience but just know there are better tuners out there.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Buy the aftermarket CAI only if you like the looks of them. But it will not be an improvement over your stock one.

I answered your PM also.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Alex. i need help!!! The more people i speak to the more i get confused. I was very close today to buying this and jsut goingwith the sct preloaded tune. i need help. I don't want to make the wrong decision with this. THe local shop doesn't reccomnent Bama but the new tunes seem to have good reviews.
Quote:
This is a stressful decision!!! i like the Steeda intake but so confused about all this tuning stuff. I want to plug a tune and forget it. Seems like bama may be the way to go. SCT i can get today but only with the preloaded tunes . what is the turn around on american muscle shipping of intake and to provide the tunes?

Hey Buddy,

Steeda makes a great product and I'm sure TJ will drop by shortly - They've been in the business for quite some time - For what it's worth I would really suggest a custom tune as the pre-loaded tunes are just watered down in my opinion. There's reviews all over the place in regards to the V2 Tunes and I don't want link to other forums in here for obvious reasons but they're out there!

Bama's X4 Tuner is going to be a plug and play unit - The only thing that I'll reccommned after the fact is having a datalog set up as every Mustang is going to react differently to tuning - Datalogging is very simple and it goes just like this (Again this is just a really simple explanation but it's going to allow Bama to further tweak your setup: You install the tune. Then you data log. That is driving around while your tuner records the data from your PCM. You send the datalog back to Bama so that it can be analyzed to insure your ignition timing is correct and fuel/air ratio's are good, etc. If something is a bit off they may make adjustments to your tune file and have you re-load then re-datalog to ensure the changes were correct.

As per the turn around time given that we're getting into the busy season they have been a couple days behind but I'm happy to help get is fast tracked if you're going to need it by a certain date! They advertise a 3-4 day time to have the tunes created, loaded and shipped, and then to Florida it's another 3 business days but this can be pushed if need be!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I am confused. Are u saying go with bama or steeda?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Or are the bama tunes custom?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Alex was being polite and paying a compliment to a competitor. Of course he wants you to go with Bama. I've used Bama and have absolutely no complaints. Just go with Bama, get tunes for life and be done with it. If you get a tune from them and want something adjusted, no problem, they'll do it and you don't have to pay a penny more.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
The tunes are custom. You tell them the mods you have and they send you a tune. If you upgrade and get new mods, you get a new tune with the tunes for life. Like has been said before, there might be better tuners out there but man, I can promise you nobody will take better care of you than AM and Bama. The process is simple and like he Alex said, get your tune and data log. This makes your tune 100% specific to your car and it'll be safe. That's how they roll.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

All the tuners give free revisions, not just Bama. They just put a fancy name on it.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

True. And there are a ton of companies out there.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yep, i can get custom tunes for life from AM on my SCT X4. For now, their default 93 octane tune is awesome for my stock GT w/track pack. I changed tire revs per mile and idle rpms, not much more. As they said, better throttle response, better take off and upper mid rpms, but can notice a small dip in power curve around absolute mid rpms at wot. Trade-off. Track pack was tuned for 91octane from factory, I believe.

Piloting a '13 GT with track, frpp handling, glass, mgw, bmr and sct
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Fan boyz aside, I have been real happy with Justin at VMP. Throttle response is amazing. His tunes obviously power his wife's Automatic through the quarter pretty well...
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #19
Site Sponsor

Hey Buddy - PM's received and replied!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
Alex was being polite and paying a compliment to a competitor. Of course he wants you to go with Bama. I've used Bama and have absolutely no complaints. Just go with Bama, get tunes for life and be done with it. If you get a tune from them and want something adjusted, no problem, they'll do it and you don't have to pay a penny more.
Sid - You're right there! I'm a road racer/grassroots racer by nature so I've followed Steeda for years - Given the position I'm in of course I'd love for Buddy to experience what Bama has to offer! After all they tuned my mothers V6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
The tunes are custom. You tell them the mods you have and they send you a tune. If you upgrade and get new mods, you get a new tune with the tunes for life. Like has been said before, there might be better tuners out there but man, I can promise you nobody will take better care of you than AM and Bama. The process is simple and like he Alex said, get your tune and data log. This makes your tune 100% specific to your car and it'll be safe. That's how they roll.
Uni - Thanks for your comments here - We strive to have the best customer service and support possible - I treat my customers like they're the only ones on this planet and you'll see me on the weekends, at night, and everywhere in between helping my guys/girls out no matter what! I'll bend over way backwards to make sure that our customers are happy no matter what. I've offered to fly/drive to customers houses to ensure that their order was delivered in a timely manner along with being delivered in one piece!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I just got my SCT tuner and JLT CAI from AM. Filled out questionnaire for a custom tune. Took tuner out of box and there is a label on it telling me to go SCT's website for software and tune revisions. Should'nt it be loaded and ready to go?? Don't want to download something I shouldn't??? Bit confused.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so If you datalog for a while and send it in, they will send you a new tune?

How many times does it take to perfect your tune?
Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #22
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
I just got my SCT tuner and JLT CAI from AM. Filled out questionnaire for a custom tune. Took tuner out of box and there is a label on it telling me to go SCT's website for software and tune revisions. Should'nt it be loaded and ready to go?? Don't want to download something I shouldn't??? Bit confused.
Hey Bo - I know we covered this somewhere else that you had posted but SCT will have their firmware/software revised regularly - Think of it being akin to updating your mobile device/tablet/computer. As much as I wish we we're able to have Bama have their devices be up to date with the latest firmware they would likely be backlogged 6 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Ok so If you datalog for a while and send it in, they will send you a new tune?

How many times does it take to perfect your tune?

Hey Smalls - That's correct - After Bama sends you their tunes they'll have you put a few miles on them and then we suggest contact them to have a datalog set up in order to further dial the tune in - They'll ask that you're to record the car either at idle, cruise, wide open in order to make further adjustments. In regards to how many times it would take it can honestly take a few times. I'm speaking from personal experience here only because my '08 is a pain in the rear end sometimes and I needed to get some basic maintenance sorted before (o2 sensors, coils, plugs) but with the newer cars it should only take a couple revisions to get on track.

let me know if you have any other questions!

Alex

Let me know if you're to have any other questions and I'm here to help!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Alex. How do you perform a datalog? Is it like a file export from the device? Then email it in?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Thanks Alex. How do you perform a datalog? Is it like a file export from the device? Then email it in?
I believe on bamatuning.com there is a PDF with step by step instructions. You will have to build a config file and proceed from there. It's not to difficult and very helpful in the long tun.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Great thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollDat View Post
Do not use the canned tunes on the SCT device. Bama is a decent choice, but for the auto 5.0s Mike Rousch with Mid Atlantic Performance is the man to go to. Give him a call and he can get you setup. I've been running his tunes for about 6 months and love em.
If you live in Florida, check out Lamotta Performance in Sanford. Jake and his team upgraded my 2013 auto to 3.55 gears with a custom tune. Totally woke up my pony.
m3infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #27

Region: Georgia
Little advice

Afternoon everyone!! Got a dilemma I could use some help with.

This is all that's installed on the car

Ford racing intake plenum
Ford racing cobra jet throttle body (single blade)
Ford racing cobra jet CAI
1.5" lowered all around
SR performance short shifter
Roush axle back exhaust
Corsa off road X-pipe
Upgraded 245 potenza on rear (tires)

Now this is my issue. I ordered the sct x4 from steeda and when it finally arrived it did not work on my car, the tune. I called the back and Matt h. Spoke with their lead tuner and they said it's impossible to tune it without a dyno!? Of course I freaked out on him because I now have not had a car for 4 weeks because they are incompetent. I told them exactly what was on the car.

I am now in the process of getting a custom tune from bama whom said they can do it.

Is there anything I can do on my end as far as tuning or do I just need to wait for them?? Having no car blows.
Aallen.lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Just hang in there bro. Bama will take care of you. I'm not sure of the tuning at steeda, they usually have good parts and service. But the guys at Bama will fix you and hopefully you get a new v2 tune.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I went through it all in my head and at the end of the day Alex hooked me up with american muscle and Bama v2 tunes.everything fit perfect and now it's time to data log and do even more fine tuning.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #30
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aallen.lawrence View Post
Afternoon everyone!! Got a dilemma I could use some help with.

This is all that's installed on the car

Ford racing intake plenum
Ford racing cobra jet throttle body (single blade)
Ford racing cobra jet CAI
1.5" lowered all around
SR performance short shifter
Roush axle back exhaust
Corsa off road X-pipe
Upgraded 245 potenza on rear (tires)

Now this is my issue. I ordered the sct x4 from steeda and when it finally arrived it did not work on my car, the tune. I called the back and Matt h. Spoke with their lead tuner and they said it's impossible to tune it without a dyno!? Of course I freaked out on him because I now have not had a car for 4 weeks because they are incompetent. I told them exactly what was on the car.

I am now in the process of getting a custom tune from bama whom said they can do it.

Is there anything I can do on my end as far as tuning or do I just need to wait for them?? Having no car blows.
Hey - Sorry to hear about the trouble you had but Bama has tuned countless setups like this - Because the tuner wasn't purchased from us you'll need to enroll in Bama's Tunes For Life Program. (Which it sounds like you're already doing!) They'll take a few days to have the tunes written so hang in there and let them know if you have any questions that need an answer on immediately.
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Bama just tuned my Cobra Jet automatic. Runs great.
To all the people/tuners that said a big oval scj tb and 110mm JLT cj cai could not be tuned....think again.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #32

Region: Georgia
Awesome thanks guys. Yes I have already enrolled in the tune for life last night.

I was just wondering if there was a way I could download a tuning kit and do it myself. Seems like everybody would but hell why don't they offer it!?

Steeda has great parts. I just don't understand even after I put all the information in the tune request they still couldn't do it. Fishy to me.
Aallen.lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Recently went with BAMA. Very satisfied!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT