Thinking about a 5.0 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #36
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Then don't get a tune bro. I agree that in factory form, the 3.7 is less than impressive out of the hole. Sure glad I decided to spend $1,000 dollars on new gears and a performance tune.
I'm sure it is 1000 times better by doing that, but I have 8 other vehicles and a boat that are not under warantee, so I opted to trade the V6 for the GT.

I don't think the OP at that age should get the GT unless it comes with some kind of warrantee (at least drivetrain for a while). Deals are out there if you want to look/wait/travel. This one had bumpers replaced, but still has full warrantee for a long time. If I could not have afforded to go new GT, I would have waited for something like this. Have a full inspection done by a ford dealer, including checking to see if it had warrantee killing tune, ever.

Cars for Sale: 2014 Ford Mustang GT in Oakdale, NY 11769: Coupe Details - 392488046 - Autotrader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
That's cool, then don't buy a V6 mustang. 😎Of course this picture being of a V8 is highly impressive because its V8! Oh wait, my little 3.7 rolls 150 mph too and reaches 0-60 mph in less time.
Lol someone's all butt hurt. Just giving you my honest impression from personal experience.

A V6 Mustang is just like having a black and white television. It's okay but it leaves you wanting more.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Lol someone's all butt hurt. Just giving you my honest impression from personal experience.

A V6 Mustang is just like having a black and white television. It's okay but it leaves you wanting more.
Oh no sir. You are misunderstanding of the situation. No butt hurt here. I fully respect and appreciate your point of view. Your not impressed with the V6, don't buy a V6 mustang. That's why they make different models to offer consumers.

Mustang 3.7 = performance
Mustang 5.0 = more performance

It comes down to how much performance does a consumer want and how much are they willing to pay for it. For me, having the 2011 5.0 wasn't worth the extra $7500 dollars but that's just me. I have never regretted my 3.7 purchase!

Someone always has a faster and more powerful ride. Some people spend their time chasing the end of the rainbow always wanting faster and more powerful. I focus my energy on enjoying what I have and not trying to get more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Kona, I know you and I have had some back and forth with the whole gt vs non gt. Going to preface the following by saying I don't want to be that guy poo poo'in on you guys. So don't take it that way at all. I honestly don't hate on others that like yourself opted for the v6 or even an Eco boost. Dude it's your car. Whatever.

But why do you feel like it's your duty to defend all non GT mustangs!? Lol. This guy (op) has basically said he regrets his choice and wants opinions on the difference. Grabber has had experience as have many others. So they offer that solicited opinion and you get a bit defensive.

Feels like maybe deep down your trying to convince yourself, but it's okay. Remember your not out to convince or impress others your v6 is the right choice, because it's your choice. Right?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Some people spend their time chasing the end of the rainbow always wanting faster and more powerful.

I chase the end of the rainbow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Yeah, and isn't that what mustang ownership is all about?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that Rap. You chase it bro. Lol

Old 04-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Does sound a little gay honestly lol.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Kona, I know you and I have had some back and forth with the whole gt vs non gt. Going to preface the following by saying I don't want to be that guy poo poo'in on you guys. So don't take it that way at all. I honestly don't hate on others that like yourself opted for the v6 or even an Eco boost. Dude it's your car. Whatever.

But why do you feel like it's your duty to defend all non GT mustangs!? Lol. This guy (op) has basically said he regrets his choice and wants opinions on the difference. Grabber has had experience as have many others. So they offer that solicited opinion and you get a bit defensive.

Feels like maybe deep down your trying to convince yourself, but it's okay. Remember your not out to convince or impress others your v6 is the right choice, because it's your choice. Right?
I tried to impress people back when I was in 8th grade. Ha ha ha. I'm sorry if it came off like I was being defensive, that was not my intention. Grabber's opinion is more than welcome and he is another member who is very knowledgeable.

The OP says they regret the choice of the 3.7, yet gives no info as to what they regret about the car. So how can someone say the 5.0 would be a right fit for the OP when we don't know what the OP is unhappy with his current car???

If someone doesn't know the difference between the 3.7 and 5.0 then maybe they shouldn't be buying a 5.0. Ha ha ha. What's to ask? 5.0 gives a higher level of performance and power. Is insurance rates higher? How about go call the insurance carrier and ask. Question answered!

The question has no right or wrong answer but its what an individual wants out of the purchase. Why do people feel the need to ask other people what they should buy and what should make them happy. Screwy!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I would have kept my wife's 3.7 when I bought her the explorer.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does sound a little gay honestly lol.

Ha ha ha.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post

I loved that metaphor.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I wish I would have kept my wife's 3.7 when I bought her the explorer.

I have a feeling that it wouldn't have remained a normal 3.7.....
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:

Someone always has a faster and more powerful ride. Some people spend their time chasing the end of the rainbow always wanting faster and more powerful. I focus my energy on enjoying what I have and not trying to get more.
Looking at your profile, that is not true:

2011 3.7

91 Steeda, Bama & MPT Tunes
Airraid CAI
BBK Ceramic long tube headers
BBK off road mid pipe
3:73 gears
One piece aluminum drive shaft
Flowmaster Force II axle back exhaust
J&M lower control arms
Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace

Dyno Jet: 297 rwhp & 276 rwtq

The stock 3.7 obviously was not enough for you, and the roughly $5000 difference for the 5.0 has been bridged to a degree by the mods you have done.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post

2011 3.7

Airraid CAI
BBK off road mid pipe
J&M lower control arms

The stock 3.7 obviously was not enough for you, and the roughly $5000 difference for the 5.0 has been bridged to a degree by the mods you have done.
Stock was not enough for me and as I have it, its perfect for my liking. It was time to sit back and enjoy my pony! Its not 5k more for a Gt but $ 7,500 dollars more back when I got my 2011. My power mods and exhaust mods would of been done regardless if I bought the V6 or V8 model. Someday I may get a V8 should I feel that itch and need to step up.

For now, I fully enjoy my modded pony and not looking for more power. Someone always has more and better and faster and newer and nicer and!

I'm appreciative of the fact that I drive and awesome mustang!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
for some enthusiasts thats where its at. 😎

Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
I have a feeling that it wouldn't have remained a normal 3.7.....

It would most likely have nitrous lol
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Bro, what's to ask opinions on????? Its only worth it, if its that important to have 420 HP! Only you can answer that question! Your 3.7 and the 5.0 look very similar and to the average person, they don't care if you have a V6 or V8.

The average person is not going to care or be impressed with you having 420 HP over 305 HP. If 305 HP is not enough for ya then step up to the 5.0 and nothing to think about.

Asking someone if buying a V8 is worth it over a V6 is a silly question. That's an individual answer with a no right or wrong answer. Its an individual preference. The question you need to ask yourself is this?

Is a 5.0 worth it to me? Why do I want a 5.0? What will I do different with the 5.0 that I don't do with the 3.7? Will woman want my Johnson more if I get a 5.0?

My 69 year old father got a 2014 5.0 because he didn't want to get his balls busted about owning a V6 mustang. He will never come close to using 420 HP and he actually drives slow enough to drive Miss F-ing Daisey but he got the 5.0 because he didn't want to get busted on!

Bro, let's be honest with each other and the group. You regret buying the V6 because people are always busting your balls about buying a V6 mustang. Come on bro, let it out, come clean. I know this because I get my balls busted constantly from my fellow co-workers, friends and even strangers. People always saying " oh, you got a V6 mustang! " "Why in the world would you buy a mustang that's a V6? "

You regret the purchase because you had no idea how bad you were going to take a ball beating from people about owning a 305 HP mustang. Its okay bro. Us V6 owners have been there and are still there.

Being just 20, that's a hard age where you really value what others think and being the cool guy is just super cool. You owning a 5.0 would make you feel super cool like the other super cool kids so you should buy the 5.0. My father wanted to be the man with the 5.0 and a V6 wouldn't cut the mustard. Its like owning a motorcycle. You either own a Harley Davidson or the rest is a joke.

Ball beating lmaoooo

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The V6 Mustang isn't built or sold to be a performance muscle car. It has a Taurus engine. It looks like a muscle car.
Throwing money at their engine in my opinion is wasting money that could be set aside for what you really want. A muscle car.
I mean, that's like buying a Civic and pouring thousands into it..turbo, blow off giggity giggity etc and then proclaiming..VTEC YO!
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014oxstang View Post
Ball beating lmaoooo

Well, maybe a little! 😎 okay, it was a bit harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
The V6 Mustang isn't built or sold to be a performance muscle car. It has a Taurus engine. It looks like a muscle car.
Throwing money at their engine in my opinion is wasting money that could be set aside for what you really want. A muscle car.
I mean, that's like buying a Civic and pouring thousands into it..turbo, blow off giggity giggity etc and then proclaiming..VTEC YO!
I agree with you about wasting money to build a particular model (v6) when a higher performance model is really wanted. Just depends how bad someone wants it and how much is someone willing to pay for it.

I personally would of loved a 412 HP 2011 5.0 but not enough love for me to part an extra $7,500 for it plus all the same mods as I have now. So, the question remains, why and what does the OP regret about buying the 3.7 and how bad do they want the 5.0.

If you want it that bad, go trade or private sell the 14 V6 in and get the 5.0. Done deal.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

It's funny how many people define a "performance muscle car" by how many cylinders it has.

A 2011 v6 makes equal or more power then any GT model of the past 30+ years. So does that mean prior to 2010 mustang GTs weren't performance cars? I mean they only had 300 hp.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
It's funny how many people define a "performance muscle car" by how many cylinders it has.

A 2011 v6 makes equal or more power then any GT model of the past 30+ years. So does that mean prior to 2010 mustang GTs weren't performance cars? I mean they only had 300 hp.

I was thinking the same thing bro. The funny part is that Ford could make a 420 HP V6 for the mustang next week and the V8 enthusiasts would be like. Thats not a real performance muscle car. 👌

Old 04-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
A 2014 Explorer has 290hp. Does that make it a performance vehicle? If it wasn't built to be a performer then it's not. Money spent trying to make it that way is better spent buying it that way.
If Ford built a 420 HP V6, it would obviously be built as a performance vehicle, probably factory turbo. I don't care how many cylinders it has.
Taurus SHO= built for performance. Explorer Sport = performance vehicle. Both engineered and built for what they do. Muscle cars? No. But performance cars sure and probably faster than my heavy 5.0.
Is the original 6 cylinder Mustang a muscle car? Um no.
Nissan 370Z with 350Hp...muscle car? Nope.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A 2014 Explorer has 290hp. Does that make it a performance vehicle? If it wasn't built to be a performer then it's not. Money spent trying to make it that way is better spent buying it that way.
If Ford built a 420 HP V6, it would obviously be built as a performance vehicle, probably factory turbo. I don't care how many cylinders it has.
Taurus SHO= built for performance. Explorer Sport = performance vehicle. Both engineered and built for what they do. Muscle cars? No. But performance cars sure and probably faster than my heavy 5.0.
Is the original 6 cylinder Mustang a muscle car? Um no.
Nissan 370Z with 350Hp...muscle car? Nope.
Do you consider the 2005 to 2010 Gt a performance muscle car? So your saying the mustang 3.7 was not built to be a performance vehicle????????

Old 04-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Do you consider the 2005 to 2010 Gt a performance muscle car? So your saying the mustang 3.7 was not built to be a performance vehicle????????

It was a performance model during that time. Everyone stepped it up a notch since then. Keep in mind, cars are way more powerful as time has passed. Na i4 s2000 makes as much hp as a fox body 5.0 v8.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:40 AM   #61
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing bro. The funny part is that Ford could make a 420 HP V6 for the mustang next week and the V8 enthusiasts would be like. Thats not a real performance muscle car. 👌

I'm certainly not an engine size snob, but ford really crapped the bed with the stock V6 gears and tires. The car looks pretty good and has great high RPM power, but it's not very peppy in normal driving and handles like poo!!!

I thought I could live with it, but when I hopped back and forth between my daily 08 mazda6I sport auto 4 banger and the stang, off the line I felt little difference. Obviously floored to 60 the stang would wipe the floor, but across an intersection at moderate throttle, the stang is just downright annoying on the lack of spunkiness.

My brother has a new (14 I think) Chyrsler 200 V6 company car and that thing is what I would describe as snarly mad out of the hole. It also handles better than a stock base V6 stang (which isn't hard). So really, unless you wanted just the looks of a stang or want to highway race, the 200 does everything else better.

Plenty of people are real happy with their V6 and the handling. My coworker has a 12 vert 6 and loves it, but to rip a kid as bad as you did for just asking a question, no wonder why he ain't come back since .
Old 04-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
It was a performance model during that time. Everyone stepped it up a notch since then. Keep in mind, cars are way more powerful as time has passed. Na i4 s2000 makes as much hp as a fox body 5.0 v8.
So let me get this straight. A 2010 mustang Gt was and is a performance muscle car according to you but the 2011 3.7 is not. The 2011 both look alike, the 3.7 has GT suspension from the factory, its acceleration is equal and handles just as good as the 4.6. Yet you say the 3.7 (v6) is not a performance muscle car. Yet both cars look almost identical. Screwey thought process.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #63
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
So let me get this straight. A 2010 mustang Gt was and is a performance muscle car according to you but the 2011 3.7 is not. The 2011 both kook alike, the 3.7 has GT suspension from the factory, its acceleration is equal and handles just as good as the 4.6. Yet you say the 3.7 (v6) is not a performance muscle car. Yet both cars look almost identical. Screwey thought process.

I cant speak for everyone but I'll put it like this. V6 owners, don't get offended. Each car I have owned, I have picked the best for beginning platform. So if it is a civic, I'm not going to waste my time with a lousy lx, I'm going to go with the si as it is the better package and the ex, lx, dx, whatever is sub-par.
Next example is in retrospect. That would the the evox I owned. I picked the gsr with sss package as opposed to the more expensive MR because the transmission handles the power better.
When I bought my 2002 camaro, I got the ss. Why? Because who wants the lousy bottom end model? Your next argument will be "so why didn't you get the gt500?" My answer is, money at the time, and I'm unsure I would want the added weight. I'm thinking if I blow the motor that's in my 5.0, I can slap in an Aluminator which won't add much weight and I can again step it up.
Again, this is just my opinion, so don't get butthurt, but I could not see it any other way. People argue gas prices, well then don't half as it and get a tdi jetta or whatever for 40+ mpg and practicality.
The v6 can be fast though once you slap some big money into it though.
https://youtu.be/mu9HIrFySaw
Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I cant speak for everyone but I'll put it like this. V6 owners, don't get offended. Each car I have owned, I have picked the best for beginning platform. So if it is a civic, I'm not going to waste my time with a lousy lx, I'm going to go with the si as it is the better package and the ex, lx, dx, whatever is sub-par.
Next example is in retrospect. That would the the evox I owned. I picked the gsr with sss package as opposed to the more expensive MR because the transmission handles the power better.
When I bought my 2002 camaro, I got the ss. Why? Because who wants the lousy bottom end model? Your next argument will be "so why didn't you get the gt500?" My answer is, money at the time, and I'm unsure I would want the added weight. I'm thinking if I blow the motor that's in my 5.0, I can slap in an Aluminator which won't add much weight and I can again step it up.
Again, this is just my opinion, so don't get butthurt, but I could not see it any other way. People argue gas prices, well then don't half as it and get a tdi jetta or whatever for 40+ mpg and practicality.
The v6 can be fast though once you slap some big money into it though.
https://youtu.be/mu9HIrFySaw
I can't speak for other V6 owners, but no butt hurt on my end. I completely understand your thought process and its based on higher levels of performance and power.

It may be hard for some to understand but not everybody in the world cares about having a 600 rwhp plus mustang. Many people are happy with having 300 rwhp mustangs.

You say V6 mustangs can be fast once you slap some big money into them. Really????? What's your definition of fast? How much big money does someone have to slap into the V6 to make it fast? What do you consider big money?

The question still remains unanswered. How are 2005 to 2010 GT's real performance muscle cars and the 2011 plus V6's are not? When the 2011 V6 offers almost identical performance numbers and in many cases faster. The 2011 plus 3.7's can come with factory GT suspension, upgraded performance tires and 3:31 gears.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #65
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I can't speak for other V6 owners, but no butt hurt on my end. I completely understand your thought process and its based on higher levels of performance and power.

It may be hard for some to understand but not everybody in the world cares about having a 600 rwhp plus mustang. Many people are happy with having 300 rwhp mustangs.

You say V6 mustangs can be fast once you slap some big money into them. Really????? What's your definition of fast? How much big money does someone have to slap into the V6 to make it fast? What do you consider big money?

The question still remains unanswered. How are 2005 to 2010 GT's real performance muscle cars and the 2011 plus V6's are not? When the 2011 V6 offers almost identical performance numbers and in many cases faster. The 2011 plus 3.7's can come with factory GT suspension, upgraded performance tires and 3:31 gears.

They aren't real performance, but was the best at the current time. They were lackluster which is why I never considered a mustang at all till the 5.0. It was about time they stepped it up.

For what is fast? Depends on the application. Everyone is also different. For me, I am happy in 11's or lower. My s2000 with a gtx3076r would easily hit 11's with a mere 425 whp this is with zero strip setup. With the mustangs added weight and everything, more should be required to get to those levels. I was happy with my last 5.0 with the brenspeed 650r package. That to me was plenty. On the v6, I would require a turbo setup to hit those goals.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He has a point..!
wjlowe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

I think the final answer is a v8 sounds like a v8 the v6 will not and can not sound like a v8. Just saying. I have owned the slowest of the slow v6's (1995 3.8) and I appreciate them as they keep the mustang platform afloat bit there is something about a mustang that screams it should have a v8.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Heck yes.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post

2011 3.7

Airraid CAI
BBK off road mid pipe
J&M lower control arms

And he's still way under STOCK 5.0 levels.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For what is fast? Depends on the application. Everyone is also different. For me, I am happy in 11's or lower. My s2000 with a gtx3076r would easily hit 11's with a mere 425 whp this is with zero strip setup. With the mustangs added weight and everything, more should be required to get to those levels. I was happy with my last 5.0 with the brenspeed 650r package. That to me was plenty. On the v6, I would require a turbo setup to hit those goals.
The 5.0 will get into the 11's with a good driver, auto, tune, and some suspension work. Not much done to hit 11's. Just the tune, minor suspension mods, and most importantly, driver mod.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT