Thinking about a 5.0 - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMustang View Post
Wow, I didn't realize this post would get so much attention. To address the question of why I was (still am) considering another mustang is because I find myself wanting more out of the car. Honestly the biggest thing was making the personal mistake of getting it with an automatic transmission. I thought I would be happier with an automatic because this is my daily driver, but owning it now for over a year I've realized that I would much rather have a manual. I'm not saying that a manual transmission is the only good option, just personally I would rather have a manual. That combined with the terrible stock gears installed just has me wanting a lot more out of the car. I was pretty disappointed to find out that I couldn't get the tires to spin in a 300hp performance vehicle. And to address the reason I consider a 5.0 is not because I "get my balls busted" about owning a v6 or that I am trying to impress anyone. I have gotten nothing but positive comments on my car, it is all personal. I just love the sound of a v8, and obviously it is the better performance option. I would rather spend some extra money a month to have the power and sound I would be happy with than spending a bunch of money on upgrading mine and still never get that v8 sound. The 3.7 is an impressive engine, and I'm sure paired with the right gears and a manual transmission it could be a mean setup. I just think I would be happier with a 5.0. I am currently looking at a 2013 GT with manual trans.
That's great bro. Good luck with buying the new stang. Please don't forget to post pictures of your new stang. Smart move to step up, you won't regret.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 04:43 AM   #107
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMustang View Post
Wow, I didn't realize this post would get so much attention. To address the question of why I was (still am) considering another mustang is because I find myself wanting more out of the car. Honestly the biggest thing was making the personal mistake of getting it with an automatic transmission. I thought I would be happier with an automatic because this is my daily driver, but owning it now for over a year I've realized that I would much rather have a manual. I'm not saying that a manual transmission is the only good option, just personally I would rather have a manual. That combined with the terrible stock gears installed just has me wanting a lot more out of the car. I was pretty disappointed to find out that I couldn't get the tires to spin in a 300hp performance vehicle. And to address the reason I consider a 5.0 is not because I "get my balls busted" about owning a v6 or that I am trying to impress anyone. I have gotten nothing but positive comments on my car, it is all personal. I just love the sound of a v8, and obviously it is the better performance option. I would rather spend some extra money a month to have the power and sound I would be happy with than spending a bunch of money on upgrading mine and still never get that v8 sound. The 3.7 is an impressive engine, and I'm sure paired with the right gears and a manual transmission it could be a mean setup. I just think I would be happier with a 5.0. I am currently looking at a 2013 GT with manual trans.
As long as you can afford it, don't even question if you will enjoy the car more.
My 14, 3.7/2.73/auto combo was pathetic out the hole, at best. Even mileage in my semi-rural commute is not that different, as I always found myself hammering the V6 out of the hole to even get by the average 250 HP daily drive car from a light.

The only downside I've found so far to moving to a non brembo GT is the brakes, but I figure I can fix that after the warantee.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:02 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
As long as you can afford it, don't even question if you will enjoy the car more.
My 14, 3.7/2.73/auto combo was pathetic out the hole, at best. Even mileage in my semi-rural commute is not that different, as I always found myself hammering the V6 out of the hole to even get by the average 250 HP daily drive car from a light.

The only downside I've found so far to moving to a non brembo GT is the brakes, but I figure I can fix that after the warantee.
Yes sir, the me about it. My 2011 3.7 automatic with 2:73 gears was poor out of the hole and the shift points. Don't get me started on that. Lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm 72, boys, and driving hot V8's just never gets tiring...love the torque pull at about 4500 in my 2011 GT.
Parrotpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #110
Supporter

Region: Texas
If I had a 3.7 I would turn it into a bit of a handling car. A buddy of mine has a Black 2014, auto. He has added: front splitter, OE Mustang rims (Black GT 2014), Cervini hood and a Cali Special spoiler. Without that 3.7 badge on his it looks like a a bad mamma jamma.
He also has a BBK throttle body, aftermarket CAI and some Roush axlebacks. It rides nicer that my stock 2011 GT but when I step on it, oh boy.... I will admit his is more perky than I thought but I like my Kona Blue...

Going to add that since I got my 2011 GT some at work now refer to me as "150" or Mr. Coyote.... They got the secretary to call me buck 50... lol

I am 19, no wrecks, 1 speeding ticket that will be deferred and haven't had my license for a year. Geico insurance (full coverage) is about $385 per month. I pay for it all.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #111

40k to 60k on a used 5.0 sounds risky to me too - especially on a manual - you could be trading in a v6 for a 5.0 with issues...
OnlineJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #112
Supporter

I got mine with 30K miles, looks like the guy that had it before me took good care of it.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

At the end of the day...At least you are not in a V6 Camaro or a V6 Challenger. What you already have is truly special, it just comes down to what you make of it.

We all at times have lived beyond our means/needs but "You Only Live Once". So do what will make you happy and what makes sense in your mind and heart. Don't do it just for the "Cool" factor or because of what others may feel towards you. Opinions are opinions. "Haters are gonna Hate". At the OP, I know you said you are not being influenced by others but this is just how I feel.

I for one know for a fact that my next car will be V8 but it probably will not be a Ford to be honest (Working towards something smaller...Z06 or ZR1, perhaps one day a Viper). I love my car, even though it has it down sides, I still believe is was great decision I made during the time.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #114
Staff
Regular
Staff

Regretting getting the V6 auto? Gears, tune, exhaust and a converter will wake it the hell up and make it feel like a monster compared to what it is now.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

But it still wont sound good. Get a 13-14 manual 5.0 and dont look back. Thats what I did.
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

I think my sixxer sounds pretty damn good for only have an Axle Back exhaust. TO each their own though. Drone can be pretty bad but then again installing a "J-Pipe" or "Helmholtz resonator" will solve that problem. A V6 sound is entirely different from a V8 and to be honest that makes complete sense to me. Just like a 4 banger will never sound like a 6 or 8. 10, 12, 16, 20's.......

It's just to bad our sixxers dont sound like the new Jag's with V6's, those exhaust notes are to die for and those are straight OEM stock exhausts.

So having a V8 will not give you what you want without having to do some kind of work. The Stock exhausts on the 5.0's just sound horrible and I am targeting only the GT's not any other trims that are available because those are not considered stock to me.

Now if its the "Rumble" that you want get a Nova SS or something similar...

Old 08-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

H pipe, no resonators and gt500 mufflers. Done.
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Now I want one!....

Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
Now I want one!....
Me too. I want one too. F it. I'm buying a 5.0 now😆

Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #120
Supporter

Now, that since your coming to the 5.0 side....
Exhaust notes: SO FUN!!!! But my neighbors hate me at 6:21AM....
Speeding tickets: buy a fancy radar detector if you don't own one already..... (see my sig)
Everyone that you work with might say it's too much power for a daily driver, it's A-OK for me.
Don't let the woman drive your car unless they have something with more power than your Stang... Get a 13 or 14, I personally love my 2011 GT.

Now smoke em'!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

The cars makes about 370 stock not something that I would say is to much for a DD.
my wife would drive my roush all the time. But she does not like the 5.0 as far as driving it goes.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #122
Supporter

It was a poor joke. A "man" that drives a boxcar told me it was too much power for a daily, that's the only reason I remembered it. Some women can drive, let's not start that... Lol
Before my mom got back into jeeps she had a Vette with 670ish to the rear.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #123
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

My GF can't drive to save her behind and has no problems with my stang. She just drives slower.................. Not like they have so much power it is uncontrollable.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

That's all my wife drives.... My sticks 😸

Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #125
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The cars makes about 370 stock not something that I would say is to much for a DD.
my wife would drive my roush all the time. But she does not like the 5.0 as far as driving it goes.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Well she probably doesn't like that lingering C16 cologne smell lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well she probably doesn't like that lingering C16 cologne smell lol.

Lol, It only uses the c16 when your spraying. It in the dedicated system for the bottle.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

So I talked to the salesman who sold me my mustang. I asked him about possibly upgrading to a GT. He responded with "Oh, Ford has put a STOP on all sales for 2005-2014 Mustangs due to the air bag recall, I have 32 mustangs that we can't even sell, wait till November to ask again."

Doesnt this just sound like an excuse? I am pretty damn certain if I were to go up there with $20k in cash, I can bet my own *** they would still sell me a mustang regardless of the recall.

I got my stang exactly a year ago for $16.5k out the door it came out to be $18.5k. Looked up my cars current value through Kelly Blue Book and NADA Black Book both organizations concluded that my car in its condition is worth $17k privately sold or $15k trade in value. So I must say my V6 has kept most of its value after a year and this is a 2012 with 26.5k miles.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
One thing to remember, all those who have V8s before the coyote engine came out, have less horsepower on their V8s than you do on your stock V6.

Your insurance will probably spike up. You have a warranty, so drive your car and enjoy it. Unless the V8 fans want to send you money to help you buy a V8. If not, put some money away and buy a new V8 in a couple of years.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #129
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol tell them to swap your airbag with one from the car you buy. It will take a tech appx 10 minutes to do.

I'd talk to a different guy or go to a different dealer honestly but he might be telling the truth. This airbag thing going on is no joke as far as the manufacturers are concerned.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #130
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
One thing to remember, all those who have V8s before the coyote engine came out, have less horsepower on their V8s than you do on your stock V6.

Your insurance will probably spike up. You have a warranty, so drive your car and enjoy it. Unless the V8 fans want to send you money to help you buy a V8. If not, put some money away and buy a new V8 in a couple of years.
Stock 3v is right at the stock cyclone I thought
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Now if this was possible it would have to be a 2011+ GT, I almost got myself a 2010 GT before the sixxer but I did my research before hand, like I always do I am incredibly OCD on those types of things. Realized the sixxer is a way better platform.

Not to bring down the 2010 guys but sheesh I would be pissed off to find out a year later they brought out the coyote which is leaps and bounds ahead of the 4.6's.

On the NEW car part, nope nope nope. Never again...I have learned my lesson on new cars. If you got the money sure go ahead knock yourself out, I only make $15/hr so Used cars are the best way for me to get what I want. Yea the 5.0's may hold their values a little bit but still the diminishing value is still ridiculous. I'll let someone else take the hit, since there a people out there whom have to have the NEWEST of new. A GT 5.0 base now can be had for $20k with less than 45k miles. Those are the ones I am interested in.

To be honest I am really really not a fan of these Fusion Hybrid looking Mustangs, dont get me wrong they are very well refined machines but Ford took away the nostalgia retro classic hybrid look that they were going for before the S550's. Now to me it just seems they really wanted to make customers of the Overseas economy and not keeping Americans happy with an American Iconic Pony. But again this is my opinion.

If i were given a free 2015 you can bet I would take it, have fun with it and then sell it for a 2011-2012 Roush or Shelby the next week.

Thanks for the comments though.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #132
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I talked to the salesman who sold me my mustang. I asked him about possibly upgrading to a GT. He responded with "Oh, Ford has put a STOP on all sales for 2005-2014 Mustangs due to the air bag recall, I have 32 mustangs that we can't even sell, wait till November to ask again."

Doesnt this just sound like an excuse? I am pretty damn certain if I were to go up there with $20k in cash, I can bet my own *** they would still sell me a mustang regardless of the recall.

I got my stang exactly a year ago for $16.5k out the door it came out to be $18.5k. Looked up my cars current value through Kelly Blue Book and NADA Black Book both organizations concluded that my car in its condition is worth $17k privately sold or $15k trade in value. So I must say my V6 has kept most of its value after a year and this is a 2012 with 26.5k miles.
Guess these 3475 dealers didn't get the memo.

Used Ford Mustang vehicles for Sale in Jackson, NJ 08527 - Autotrader
Old 08-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I don't know what to believe but oh well still young and have plenty of time.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #134
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Now if this was possible it would have to be a 2011+ GT, I almost got myself a 2010 GT before the sixxer but I did my research before hand, like I always do I am incredibly OCD on those types of things. Realized the sixxer is a way better platform.

Not to bring down the 2010 guys but sheesh I would be pissed off to find out a year later they brought out the coyote which is leaps and bounds ahead of the 4.6's.

On the NEW car part, nope nope nope. Never again...I have learned my lesson on new cars. If you got the money sure go ahead knock yourself out, I only make $15/hr so Used cars are the best way for me to get what I want. Yea the 5.0's may hold their values a little bit but still the diminishing value is still ridiculous. I'll let someone else take the hit, since there a people out there whom have to have the NEWEST of new. A GT 5.0 base now can be had for $20k with less than 45k miles. Those are the ones I am interested in.

To be honest I am really really not a fan of these Fusion Hybrid looking Mustangs, dont get me wrong they are very well refined machines but Ford took away the nostalgia retro classic hybrid look that they were going for before the S550's. Now to me it just seems they really wanted to make customers of the Overseas economy and not keeping Americans happy with an American Iconic Pony. But again this is my opinion.

If i were given a free 2015 you can bet I would take it, have fun with it and then sell it for a 2011-2012 Roush or Shelby the next week.

Thanks for the comments though.
I think you and me might have been separated at birth...

Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #135
Supporter

Quote:
Bingo!!! Only other thing I might grab is a 2013/14 GT.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

GM put two recalls on their 2015 Corvettes and a hold order for all Corvettes in stock. So it does happen. You can bet if the salesman told you this, he was right. Any chance to make an extra dollar and they would take it in a heartbeat.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Bro, what's to ask opinions on????? Its only worth it, if its that important to have 420 HP! Only you can answer that question! Your 3.7 and the 5.0 look very similar and to the average person, they don't care if you have a V6 or V8.

The average person is not going to care or be impressed with you having 420 HP over 305 HP. If 305 HP is not enough for ya then step up to the 5.0 and nothing to think about.

Asking someone if buying a V8 is worth it over a V6 is a silly question. That's an individual answer with a no right or wrong answer. Its an individual preference. The question you need to ask yourself is this?

Is a 5.0 worth it to me? Why do I want a 5.0? What will I do different with the 5.0 that I don't do with the 3.7? Will woman want my Johnson more if I get a 5.0?

My 69 year old father got a 2014 5.0 because he didn't want to get his balls busted about owning a V6 mustang. He will never come close to using 420 HP and he actually drives slow enough to drive Miss F-ing Daisey but he got the 5.0 because he didn't want to get busted on!

Bro, let's be honest with each other and the group. You regret buying the V6 because people are always busting your balls about buying a V6 mustang. Come on bro, let it out, come clean. I know this because I get my balls busted constantly from my fellow co-workers, friends and even strangers. People always saying " oh, you got a V6 mustang! " "Why in the world would you buy a mustang that's a V6? "

You regret the purchase because you had no idea how bad you were going to take a ball beating from people about owning a 305 HP mustang. Its okay bro. Us V6 owners have been there and are still there.

Being just 20, that's a hard age where you really value what others think and being the cool guy is just super cool. You owning a 5.0 would make you feel super cool like the other super cool kids so you should buy the 5.0. My father wanted to be the man with the 5.0 and a V6 wouldn't cut the mustard. Its like owning a motorcycle. You either own a Harley Davidson or the rest is a joke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
This is one of the best posts I've ever read on here and its spot on...ha.

I sold my 2014 V6 for a 2013 GT partially because of all the haters. But mainly because I missed the sound and performance of the V8 I used to have. The 305hp V6 is just as good as the GT 90% of time. Its just that 10% of the time when I wanted to drive hard that it let me down.

That said, take your car to CarMax before trading it in to a dealer. I paid $16.9k for my V6 brand new, and sold it to CarMax lightly modded (wheels, exhaust, CAI) for $20k.
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm surprised. I had a buddy that use to be an appraiser for Carmax. He worked there for several years and said the one thing the do not except is cars that had been modified and or altered from factory stock.
" wheels, exhaust, CAI"
That was a few years ago tho so they may have changed that.
I guarantee you won't find a car at a Carmax on the lot with any modifications other then window tint or a few other small things.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I take some of that back. They would from time to time buy a car if it wasn't heavily modified however the price offered was much lower then what they would give if the car was stock.
Reason being is they won't sell it on they're lot and will take the car to auction so they offer low basically because they don't want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd2016 View Post
This is one of the best posts I've ever read on here and its spot on...ha.

I sold my 2014 V6 for a 2013 GT partially because of all the haters. But mainly because I missed the sound and performance of the V8 I used to have. The 305hp V6 is just as good as the GT 90% of time. Its just that 10% of the time when I wanted to drive hard that it let me down.

That said, take your car to CarMax before trading it in to a dealer. I paid $16.9k for my V6 brand new, and sold it to CarMax lightly modded (wheels, exhaust, CAI) for $20k.
Why, thank you sir. 😆

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT