Thinking about a 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #1

Thinking about a 5.0

Hey guys! This is my first post. I currently have a 2014 3.7L auto with the tech package(6.5k miles). Pretty much stock other than a roush axle back. I'm starting to regret not going with a used 5.0 manual. I was looking around at prices and it looks like the 2011 5.0 is going for around the same price as mine (with 40-60k miles). Do you think it would be worth doing? Would I be able to get a trade like that? What would the insurance difference be? I'm 20 years old, no tickets or accidents. Any inputs or opinions would be appreciated thank you! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1428546382.408747.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	179529
iMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Insurance will vary by area so best bet is to call your agent. When I was pricing insurance my v6 was like 15 a month cheaper then a GT so for mean it wasn't that much difference.

Regarding trade in I would just take your time and be patient. Most dealers will try and low ball you so they can turn a profit on your car while they already have the cars on their lot marked up. So just be patient or try and sell your car outright first

If you catch a dealer at the right time they may work with you more. I'm not sure which state your in but in nc you don't pay tax on trade in value so that should help some too.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

I live in Ohio! Thanks for your input.
iMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMustang View Post
Hey guys! This is my first post. I currently have a 2014 3.7L auto with the tech package(6.5k miles). Pretty much stock other than a roush axle back. I'm starting to regret not going with a used 5.0 manual. I was looking around at prices and it looks like the 2011 5.0 is going for around the same price as mine (with 40-60k miles). Do you think it would be worth doing? Would I be able to get a trade like that? What would the insurance difference be? I'm 20 years old, no tickets or accidents. Any inputs or opinions would be appreciated thank you! Attachment 179529
You can get insurance quotes (with no obligation) over the internet. I did Geico but I'm sure there are many others even if it means them calling you with it.
You typically lose money when you sell a car and buy another. Especially if you are dealing with a dealer for both.
You would make out the best if you sell yours to a private party.
You mention a trade. If you're talking trading yours to a dealer for it, get the numbers. With and without the trade, so you can see just what you're actually getting for your 2014. I'm sure you'll find you can sell it yourself for much more.
One thing to keep in mind is whether, in your state, a trade reduces the amount of sales tax on the car you're buying.
Another consideration is the sales tax you paid on your 2014. Do you stand to lose that in your state?
Check out all the details before jumping into anything.
Book value of your 2014?
Book value of the car you want to buy.
Do all your checking on all the details and you'll be able to answer you own questions. And be in a much better position to deal with a car salesman.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Dont get me wrong the 2011 and up v6 mustang is an amazing car but the 5.0 is on another level and if you can afford one get one as fast as you can and dont look bad
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
I traded my 2012 v6 for a 2011 gt this past fall. Best move ever. My payments only increased $36.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BlackBetty2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
When I was 22 I sold my 2013 v6 to carmax (lost my *** on it) but just recently got a 2013 gt premium with 20k miles for the same price I paid for my v6 new. Best decision I ever made. The v6 is amazing... But It's not a v8 lol no comparison
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Don't think, just do.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Think about it and then get it for less!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know what it's like in Ohio, but down here in Fl you can get 2013 5.0s in the 23-25k range - and that's advertised price. 11s and 12s even lower. Who knows how low they'd be willing to go. As a matter of fact, there's a 2013, same color as your V6 for 22,500. Only 30k miles.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Insurance won't be a huge difference, go for it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
If you're making your own insurance and car payment. If you're not and still on your parents, then the right thing to do is be self sufficient before owning a 400+ Hp car.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMustang View Post
Hey guys! This is my first post. I currently have a 2014 3.7L auto with the tech package(6.5k miles). Pretty much stock other than a roush axle back. I'm starting to regret not going with a used 5.0 manual. I was looking around at prices and it looks like the 2011 5.0 is going for around the same price as mine (with 40-60k miles). Do you think it would be worth doing? Would I be able to get a trade like that? What would the insurance difference be? I'm 20 years old, no tickets or accidents. Any inputs or opinions would be appreciated thank you! Attachment 179529
Bro, what's to ask opinions on????? Its only worth it, if its that important to have 420 HP! Only you can answer that question! Your 3.7 and the 5.0 look very similar and to the average person, they don't care if you have a V6 or V8.

The average person is not going to care or be impressed with you having 420 HP over 305 HP. If 305 HP is not enough for ya then step up to the 5.0 and nothing to think about.

Asking someone if buying a V8 is worth it over a V6 is a silly question. That's an individual answer with a no right or wrong answer. Its an individual preference. The question you need to ask yourself is this?

Is a 5.0 worth it to me? Why do I want a 5.0? What will I do different with the 5.0 that I don't do with the 3.7? Will woman want my Johnson more if I get a 5.0?

My 69 year old father got a 2014 5.0 because he didn't want to get his balls busted about owning a V6 mustang. He will never come close to using 420 HP and he actually drives slow enough to drive Miss F-ing Daisey but he got the 5.0 because he didn't want to get busted on!

Bro, let's be honest with each other and the group. You regret buying the V6 because people are always busting your balls about buying a V6 mustang. Come on bro, let it out, come clean. I know this because I get my balls busted constantly from my fellow co-workers, friends and even strangers. People always saying " oh, you got a V6 mustang! " "Why in the world would you buy a mustang that's a V6? "

You regret the purchase because you had no idea how bad you were going to take a ball beating from people about owning a 305 HP mustang. Its okay bro. Us V6 owners have been there and are still there.

Being just 20, that's a hard age where you really value what others think and being the cool guy is just super cool. You owning a 5.0 would make you feel super cool like the other super cool kids so you should buy the 5.0. My father wanted to be the man with the 5.0 and a V6 wouldn't cut the mustard. Its like owning a motorcycle. You either own a Harley Davidson or the rest is a joke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Bro, what's to ask opinions on????? Its only worth it, if its that important to have 420 HP! Only you can answer that question! Your 3.7 and the 5.0 look very similar and to the average person, they don't care if you have a V6 or V8.

The average person is not going to care or be impressed with you having 420 HP over 305 HP. If 305 HP is not enough for ya then step up to the 5.0 and nothing to think about.

Asking someone if buying a V8 is worth it over a V6 is a silly question. That's an individual answer with a no right or wrong answer. Its an individual preference. The question you need to ask yourself is this?

Is a 5.0 worth it to me? Why do I want a 5.0? What will I do different with the 5.0 that I don't do with the 3.7? Will woman want my Johnson more if I get a 5.0?

My 69 year old father got a 2014 5.0 because he didn't want to get his balls busted about owning a V6 mustang. He will never come close to using 420 HP and he actually drives slow enough to drive Miss F-ing Daisey but he got the 5.0 because he didn't want to get busted on!

Bro, let's be honest with each other and the group. You regret buying the V6 because people are always busting your balls about buying a V6 mustang. Come on bro, let it out, come clean. I know this because I get my balls busted constantly from my fellow co-workers, friends and even strangers. People always saying " oh, you got a V6 mustang! " "Why in the world would you buy a mustang that's a V6? "

You regret the purchase because you had no idea how bad you were going to take a ball beating from people about owning a 305 HP mustang. Its okay bro. Us V6 owners have been there and are still there.

Being just 20, that's a hard age where you really value what others think and being the cool guy is just super cool. You owning a 5.0 would make you feel super cool like the other super cool kids so you should buy the 5.0. My father wanted to be the man with the 5.0 and a V6 wouldn't cut the mustard. Its like owning a motorcycle. You either own a Harley Davidson or the rest is a joke.

The 5.0 would hold its value slightly better.

Rollin' in my 5.0
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
The 5.0 would hold its value slightly better.

Rollin' in my 5.0
That's very true but the V6 new cost far less and nobody regrets buying the V6 because of resell value. The regret comes from after buying the V6 and feeling super cool because you own a 305 HP performance car. Only to be made fun of and have your balls busted by all your friends, co workers and even family members about buying a V6 mustang. Ha ha ha.

Good thing for my finances, being 40 years young I couldn't give two flying farts what the others think or how hard they ride my Johnson about owning a V6 stang.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Bro, let's be honest with each other and the group. You regret buying the V6 because people are always busting your balls about buying a V6 mustang.
Or maybe he has a 2.73/auto and is tired of smart cars, running on bad gas, and one plug miss-firing absolutely killing him across an intersection. I tried to get the 3.31's and was willing to have ford put them in. They said they could not program for even those gears and I'd have to get a tuner, no more warantee just to get the factory upgraded gears?

The only other way I could have gotten those gears was to get the premium (when I was buying, looking for the absolute best deal, even 3 states away), which was as much as my base GT. Lucky for me I only lost a little over grand on my 14 trade (only had 980 miles), since I got such a smokin deal to begin with.

But make no mistake, there is a huge difference, just off idle, upon mildy spirited accel, between the base auto's, V6 and 5.0.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I will be 64 soon, and I still can't get enough of the fast cars with hot V-8's.
motoreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Or maybe he has a 2.73/auto and is tired of smart cars, running on bad gas, and one plug miss-firing absolutely killing him across an intersection. I tried to get the 3.31's and was willing to have ford put them in. They said they could not program for even those gears and I'd have to get a tuner, no more warantee just to get the factory upgraded gears?

The only other way I could have gotten those gears was to get the premium (when I was buying, looking for the absolute best deal, even 3 states away), which was as much as my base GT. Lucky for me I only lost a little over grand on my 14 trade (only had 980 miles), since I got such a smokin deal to begin with.

But make no mistake, there is a huge difference, just off idle, upon mildy spirited accel, between the base auto's, V6 and 5.0.
Well, if the OP having 2:73 gears is why he regrets buying the 3.7, say no more. I have a easy solution for that! Wait for it!

Gear swap, under $700 dollars. Bamm, problem solved and no more smart cars kicking his butt at the intersection. I never lost to a smart car when I HAD 2:73 gears in my auto.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

+1 for waylap1's post

Piloting a '13 GT with track, frpp handling, glass, mgw, bmr and sct
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Nobody mentioned warranty yet either... Can you afford the same payment on a car without warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It's funny how these topics always get out of hand. The V6 guys are happy with their cars and the V8 guys say he should go for the V8. Of course everyone is going to push for what they have but at the end of the day there is no best car just a car that fits your needs the best. To the OP in your original post you said you regretted getting the 5.0. If that's that case and you can afford it then you should upgrade if it makes you happy. If you look and find a certified pre-owned you will actually get a better warranty then a new car comes with.

As far as 'is it worth it' that is really only a question you can answer. Just know aside from the engine and a few cosmetic items (hood vents, bigger rims, and foglights in grill) your going to have essentially the exact same car. I have a V6 and love it and have had V8 muscle cars in the past and loved them as well. I miss the V8 sound and low end torque but love the MPG's I'm getting for a DD and at this point in my life I don't have a garage or time to race it so its strictly a DD. At the end of the day your the one who has to drive it and your the one spending the money. Newer cars will never be an investment so you gotta pay to play. I had a 370Z that after 4 months of owning hated it so I traded it in. Lost a little but I am happy with what I drive now so its worth it.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would base their car buying on a girl wanting his johnson. Most women don't know ****. They would think a 325i is more "pimp" (richer, flashier, whatever adj you want to use) than a gtr. *****es don't know **** most of the time. That's why when you find one that does know cars, you marry them on site. My wife doesn't care **** about cars, but she supports my hobby and that's enough. I sold my 08cbr1000rr for money for an engagement ring; now I have my tundra paid off, second 5.0 (she let me sell one back in the day and realize I should have kept it) and I can mod it know issues even with a kid on the way (disclaimer: as a guy, you should have some priorities and not push to blow your account on car stuff; do it slow).
In closing, I agree with you in saying "buy for you, not someone else's opinion on what's awesome. Most of the time nowadays, some ****ty hybrid from a Japanese company with a power cell manufactured in China with salt from South America would be considered cool because it saves the environment while China destroys it quietly. That's the changing world we live in.

In the words of Kevin Hart: "Do you booboo!!"
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
It's funny how these topics always get out of hand. The V6 guys are happy with their cars and the V8 guys say he should go for the V8. Of course everyone is going to push for what they have but at the end of the day there is no best car just a car that fits your needs the best. To the OP in your original post you said you regretted getting the 5.0. If that's that case and you can afford it then you should upgrade if it makes you happy. If you look and find a certified pre-owned you will actually get a better warranty then a new car comes with.

As far as 'is it worth it' that is really only a question you can answer. Just know aside from the engine and a few cosmetic items (hood vents, bigger rims, and foglights in grill) your going to have essentially the exact same car. I have a V6 and love it and have had V8 muscle cars in the past and loved them as well. I miss the V8 sound and low end torque but love the MPG's I'm getting for a DD and at this point in my life I don't have a garage or time to race it so its strictly a DD. At the end of the day your the one who has to drive it and your the one spending the money. Newer cars will never be an investment so you gotta pay to play. I had a 370Z that after 4 months of owning hated it so I traded it in. Lost a little but I am happy with what I drive now so its worth it.
Its not a V6 vs V8 thread but I just laugh when there are threads like this. The OP indicates he is starting to regret buying the V6 but never tells what he regrets about it. They want advice on if they should step up to a 5.0 but doesn't say what he doesn't like about his 3.7.

How can one give advice to buy another model if we don't know what the issue is with the current model. Maybe the OP will regret buying a 5.0 because it has the same issues the 3.7 has which caused the OP to regret.

If I were to take an educated guess the regret comes from getting his chops busted or looks by majority of people he comes in contact with about buying a mustang with a V6 engine. He can't regret the looks of the 3.7, they look practically the same.

What does the OP regret about his awesome 3.7 that a 5.0 would cause no regret!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I bought my GT because I wanted a performance car with a V8, simple as that. The car I had before this was a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr. with a supercharged 3800 V6. It was a good looking car with a decent amount of power but it didn't have the sound or torque of a V8 so I was never very satisfied with it. My GT gets the same gas mileage as the Monte did even though I don't care about that because I didn't buy this car for gas mileage. It's a fun car and not a DD.

Buy what you like and don't care what others think.

Wayne
Old 04-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #25
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, if the OP having 2:73 gears is why he regrets buying the 3.7, say no more. I have a easy solution for that! Wait for it!

Gear swap, under $700 dollars. Bamm, problem solved and no more smart cars kicking his butt at the intersection. I never lost to a smart car when I HAD 2:73 gears in my auto.

And then no warantee, so what was the point of buying and keeping the brand new car again?? He could find even an 11 GT that someone had gotten the ext warantee on, so you can't automatically say the warantee wouldbe out the window.

That and as bad as the stock GT tires are, they are worlds above the stock base V6 tires (again, if that is what he has). But not using those green mileage tires drops you a solid 1.5-2 MPG, as that is what I lost swapping over to stock brand new take off GT wheels/tires.

Combine the fact you really have to get into it to get up to speed with V6 (again, stock auto/2.73), and the loss of mileage from an equivalent tire, and the gas mileage advantage was almost nil. I'm sure I would have been happy with perf pack and the V6, I'm not a total V6 hater. The problem with that is you can then just about get a base 8 $wise since I could find no perf packs new without premium.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Let's face it if someone posts something like this they want a gt and won't be satisfied until they have one.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:12 AM   #27
Registered Member

Region: California
I rented a V6 automatic convertible and it really kicked a$$ So really, its enough and I respect it, especially a premium. I did however get a 5.0 there but a lot of untapped potential unless I take it on a track. I do like the rumble of the coyote.
47297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:25 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Let's face it if someone posts something like this they want a gt and won't be satisfied until they have one.
Exactly, so what's to ask? Nothing! The OP should get the V8 and be done with it. Nothing to ask.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I've got the same V6 that comes in the Mustang in my Edge Sport. I'm less than impressed amd would never own a Mustang with a V6.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:28 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I've got the same V6 that comes in the Mustang in my Edge Sport. I'm less than impressed amd would never own a Mustang with a V6.
That's cool, then don't buy a V6 mustang. 😎Of course this picture being of a V8 is highly impressive because its V8! Oh wait, my little 3.7 rolls 150 mph too and reaches 0-60 mph in less time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428665272919.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	179614  
Old 04-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #31
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Not sure why, but it is an absolutely pathetic setup, off idle, out of the hole. Could not even get a healthy chirp in cold weather with TC off, with a small tire that has no right even being on a sporty car. I suspect it is ford programming, vs the engine/trans/rear combo really, since it has a boatload of gear in first. And before anyone says go get a tune, DON'T, not going to kill that warantee.

I'm certainly was not looking to do burnouts all over the place, but "some" tire spin is usually some indication an engine has some balls, out of the hole. Even the 80's Mk VII's with over 150K I've gotten in the past, for used motors, would spin the tires out of the hole a bit (and that was with a really pathetic combo of 2.73 rear and the AOD non wide ratio first).
Old 04-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Will woman want my Johnson more if I get a 5.0?

DUH! Its scientifically proven
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
DUH! Its scientifically proven
Well heck, I'm on my way to pick up a 5.0! Ha ha ha

Old 04-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

If it were me, there's no way I'd trade a car with 6500 miles for one with 40-60k
Old 04-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
Not sure why, but it is an absolutely pathetic setup, off idle, out of the hole. Could not even get a healthy chirp in cold weather with TC off, with a small tire that has no right even being on a sporty car. I suspect it is ford programming, vs the engine/trans/rear combo really, since it has a boatload of gear in first. And before anyone says go get a tune, DON'T, not going to kill that warantee.

I'm certainly was not looking to do burnouts all over the place, but "some" tire spin is usually some indication an engine has some balls, out of the hole. Even the 80's Mk VII's with over 150K I've gotten in the past, for used motors, would spin the tires out of the hole a bit (and that was with a really pathetic combo of 2.73 rear and the AOD non wide ratio first).
Then don't get a tune bro. I agree that in factory form, the 3.7 is less than impressive out of the hole. Sure glad I decided to spend $1,000 dollars on new gears and a performance tune.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT