Hydraulic e-brake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Hydraulic e-brake

I've been looking at getting an ASD hydraulic e-brake down the road when I upgrade to the '14 GT. Only thing is, is it difficult to swap the stock parking brake to the hydraulic e-brake and then back to parking brake when I please? I know nothing about the hydraulic e-brakes other than they won't pass inspection. I've been looking everywhere for an answer but can't seem to find one. I will only get it if it really is simple to swap out. Again, I know NOTHING about the hydraulic e-brake so excuse my ignorance.
RedMustang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What are trying to accomplish by putting that type of set-up? What are your plans for your car?
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:17 AM   #3

To drift

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Lol
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #5

Like I said, I don't know anything about it which is why I came on here.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's not beyond the realm of possibility to have both systems functioning, cable and hydro. You'd just need to find a place to mount the new handle that has easy access for use when drifting.

It's a complex install for someone who admittedly doesn't know anything. What you are doing is tapping into the hydraulic system that runs the rear brake in normal operation and patching this in. That may make the ABS and traction/stab control systems go into a tizzy. No way to know til you do it.

I'd say for drifting, this car may need a bit more actual rear brake. These are pretty small and soft when they activate.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It's not beyond the realm of possibility to have both systems functioning, cable and hydro. You'd just need to find a place to mount the new handle that has easy access for use when drifting.

It's a complex install for someone who admittedly doesn't know anything. What you are doing is tapping into the hydraulic system that runs the rear brake in normal operation and patching this in. That may make the ABS and traction/stab control systems go into a tizzy. No way to know til you do it.

I'd say for drifting, this car may need a bit more actual rear brake. These are pretty small and soft when they activate.

So basically if I put it on it should be on for a while?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes.
It isn't something that you will be able to quickly remove.

A 5 litre should have enough power to drift without using the parking brake. You just need to use a different technique to get the car sideways.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Pardon? I don't understand your question.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well, not if its a 3.7 it won't.....Just kidding, it is a 14 gt...You still need the E to help manage the drift...it's more than just blowing the tires off.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes.

It isn't something that you will be able to quickly remove.

A 5 litre should have enough power to drift without using the parking brake. You just need to use a different technique to get the car sideways.

You answered my second question. And you basically answered my first too. One more, if I choose to install it, will I need to make modifications to the parking brake area for the hydraulic e-brake to fit?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Well, not if its a 3.7 it won't.....Just kidding, it is a 14 gt...You still need the E to help manage the drift...it's more than just blowing the tires off.

And yes, it would go on the 5.0.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMustang3.7 View Post
You answered my second question. And you basically answered my first too. One more, if I choose to install it, will I need to make modifications to the parking brake area for the hydraulic e-brake to fit?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

And yes, it would go on the 5.0.

I have no first hand experience with this, but I would imagine that there will be a fair amount of "custom" work to install it.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, lets just apply a wee jigger of common sense here: It's a one-size-fits-all part that work completely differently than the factory component. You can bet significant modification would be required to make it work.

Besides, the factory e-brake is in a terrible place for a drift car. You'd want it standing up vertically and to the right of the shifter, so your hand can move naturally between them and you have high leverage.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 04-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, lets just apply a wee jigger of common sense here: It's a one-size-fits-all part that work completely differently than the factory component. You can bet significant modification would be required to make it work.

Besides, the factory e-brake is in a terrible place for a drift car. You'd want it standing up vertically and to the right of the shifter, so your hand can move naturally between them and you have high leverage.

Like I said. I know nothing about this. I came on here because I wanted to know more about it. Thanks for your answer anyway.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I'm just going to say this since it hasn't been said.

Drift car= not daily driver

So you wouldn't need to pass inspection and have 2 different ebrakes

If you know nothing about hydraulic e brakes, I'm guessing you are a novice "drifter" and I wouldn't recommend you start with a 25000 $$$ car. Why not get a 10-15 year old RWD anything else car and then you can gut it out and do it right? I am trying to understand why you would want to do this to a NEW car unless your made of money and or sponsored which I'm going to go out on a limb and say your not?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post

If you know nothing about hydraulic e brakes, I'm guessing you are a novice "drifter" and I wouldn't recommend you start with a 25000 $$$ car. Why not get a 10-15 year old RWD anything else car and then you can gut it out and do it right? I am trying to understand why you would want to do this to a NEW car unless your made of money and or sponsored which I'm going to go out on a limb and say your not?

Honestly, The idea just seemed really cool at the time of making the post. Along with that, I have been searching for info on the hydraulic e-brake and couldn't find anything anywhere, so I turned to this forum. Thank you for your response!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

This^^^

Your suspension will be so ungodly stiff and unstable that you will not want to daily drive that car.

Its also not a matter of IF you hit something, but WHEN. Go get a 240sx, 90% of the ones on the road people have already turned into decent drift cars, they are set up really well for it, and they are DIRT CHEAP. I'm talking $1,000-3,000 tops.

As for the Ebrake, don't worry about that. Learn how to flick the car side to side before worrying about the Ebrake.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I used to autocross with some guys who used a brand new BMW M-series as their drifting platform. They beat the ever-living crap out of it! Lol
It was completely covered with cone rash and they tore the air dam off of it at least a couple of times!
I'm not sure if they were "made of money" or not but I know that they weren't sponsored.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I used to autocross with some guys who used a brand new BMW M-series as their drifting platform. They beat the ever-living crap out of it! Lol

It was completely covered with cone rash and they tore the air dam off of it at least a couple of times!

I'm not sure if they were "made of money" or not but I know that they weren't sponsored.

Just dumb I suppose.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
On the contrary! He was at the track day at Thunderhill, he is a track instructor.... That BMW is FAST, he came up on my tail from out of nowhere and was riding my bumper through corners until i was able to let him pass. I'll see if i have any video of it.

That car definitely is something that he uses, its built for a purpose.... performance.

HID end all thread
Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just dumb I suppose.
I used to think that it was needlessly destructive,... Until I saw the ear-to-ear grin on those guys faces as they were going around the track.
Then I understood.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The dude is skilled. I'll definitely say that. Made my car look like a stock civic on the track.

HID end all thread
Old 04-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
On the contrary! He was at the track day at Thunderhill, he is a track instructor.... That BMW is FAST, he came up on my tail from out of nowhere and was riding my bumper through corners until i was able to let him pass. I'll see if i have any video of it.

That car definitely is something that he uses, its built for a purpose.... performance.
He is a very good driver!
That car looked bone stock the last time that I saw it.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It looks stock..... I have no idea if that is the case or not. Either way, its an M5 i think. Those still pack a punch and handle well stock.

HID end all thread
Old 04-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

In the right hands, they are very capable cars... Straight from the factory!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT