Clear Bra/Paint Protection? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Clear Bra/Paint Protection?

Hey guys/gals, new poster here but I've been roaming around for a while now. In a couple weeks, I will be taking delivery of a 2013 Performance White Mustang GT Premium.

Here's my predicament though. I plan for the Stang to be my daily driver but I don't have enough garage space to keep it indoors. Since I live in Jersey, the summers can get pretty hot and the winters can get pretty cold. I'm worried about my paint since it'll be taking abuse from all the elements. Would it be worth it to clear bra the whole car or is there another method that could be used to protect the paint? If clear bra is the only option, what reputable installers are there in the central jersey area? I have pretty big plans for this car but i think this should be on top of the list to help with longevity as i dont plan on letting the car go anytime soon. Thanks for the advice everyone, appreciate it!
PerfWhteStang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Look into Opti coat 2.0. It is a ceramic clear coat applied like a wax but extremely durable. It can prevent swirl marks and scratches. It will help against rock chips but isn't impervious to them.

With that though you will want the paint to be perfect. So if there are any chips get them touched up. And get a professional detail before you get it.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Sounds good, I just took a look into it. Opti Coat is basically a 2nd clear coat on the car. Do you know how good its UV protection is? I've had clear coats flake and crack off before and exposing paint so I'm a bit worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It has good UV protectant. There is also Ceramic Pro America, basically the same stuff, different brand.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #5

I've had great results with 3M Paint Defender.

I also live in central Jersey and used it for the last 2 Winters. My car is also white and my daily driver putting 25K mostly highway miles.

I put it on while the weather was still warm (70 degrees) and strip it off April 1.
It slightly darkens from dirt over time but it's the Winter, who cares.

Just make sure you spray it on with multiple heavy coats, so it peels off in large sheets. Otherwise you have to dissolve it w alcohol,but it doesn't hurt the paint, just time consuming.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Dondug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I got the 3M kit installed before I took the car off the lot nearly 4 years ago. Lifetime warranty on it. Has already saved me from several nasty rock chips. The hood piece alone goes all the way back to the hood bulge.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm guessing the general consensus is to use a spray on film. I have yet to take delivery so I still have some time to decide but I can almost guarantee I'm going the spraying route to save money and it looks like a pretty straight forward DIY. I'm excited!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT