Running REAL rich- any ideas why? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Running REAL rich- any ideas why?

Hey guys, I need some advice so obviously the Internet was my first stop lol.😵

So on my 2014 GT I had Kooks 1 3/4 Longtube headers, Kooks Catless Boss 302 H pipe with Ford Racing Boss 302 side pipes and Kooks 3" Catback installed last week and since then I've noticed the power gains but now I'm getting 12-13mpg. Which I realized driving style adjustments can account for some of that but to go from ~20mpg down to that seems steep. Does anyone have any ideas why?

I have the Boss 302 Intake Manifold installed with the Steeda Pro-flow CAI and I'm running Steeda's tunes. I can only find 91oct around where I live so I typically run their 91oct or 89oct tune but I think they only sent me the 93oct twice instead so I thought maybe that could be a contributing factor but I'm not sure.

Can anybody help me out with this please??
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ps: I have also noticed issues at idle since I installed the boss IM; it seems like it is just barely alive and sometimes it will just die at a stoplight or something. It's like the idle is falling asleep but there is just enough to try and keep it awake most of the time. Is there something serious up with my car that I need to get looked at or is my tune the most like culprit here?
I know I know, canned tunes aren't the ideal setup; but I trust Steeda Products and the guys I've worked with from there, it's born in the USA and at the time it was a better deal than BAMA and all I'd read was BAMA tunes ruin motors, maybe that's not the case now but I just wanted to have a quick, easy, reliable and conservative toon while I progress my build until the foundation is complete and then I can get a dyno tune.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Running REAL rich- any ideas why?

Jeez, thanks everyone. 😑
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Lol. Well I haven't had a ton of experience with any of that stuff but I imagine people who know would point to the tune and tell you to data log and send it to steeda for revisions if needed.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
^ yep that
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Lol thanks guys. I appreciate the response.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Lol thanks guys. I appreciate the response.
Also bama tunes don't ruin motors. Very solid entry level tune now
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I know this was a while back but just curious, Did you ever figure out this issue? Did you get the tune the same time that you added the Boss intake and the exhaust mods?
WundrbreadzDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It wasn't that long ago bro; I'm actually still trying to determine a solution. I have improved it slightly however. I installed the boss manifold about 2 months ago, tuned it, everything was fine (a very small loss in throttle response I summed up to being just a characteristic of the new intake manifold). I did the exhaust up about 3 weeks ago now, had them installed then tuned it in the parking lot. I noticed a slight difference in throttle response and the tail pipes would blow actual visible white smoke along with some liquid I determined to be water. Then over the next few days after picking it up I began noticing the very low idle and it would begin to die at every stoplight and in rush hour traffic with was as annoying as it was embarrassing so I called Steeda about the tune and they have been working on figuring it out. It didn't throw the DTC code until last Friday when I checked it just to see if anything has changed. Then I called and reported it to Steeda so they could be begin looking into a solution, at that time I decided to return the vehicle back to stock, then reload my tune, after that I saw some improvement on the drive home. ~7mpg improvement. So I was satisfied until the next day it died again at a stoplight then the mpg went down again to where it was previously. At this time I adjusted the idle rpms on my x4 to 1,000rpms and did the KAM reset and since then I haven't died yet(knock on wood ✊🚪) but it's running sharper and I have a lot of throttle response back. But I did check the x4 again yesterday and it's still throwing the same code.

From what I understand this particular code is related to missing information within the stock factory tune calibrations and this lack of information leaves "gaps" in the vehicles computer causing these issues. I thought returning it to stock would potentially solve this issue but I've had no such luck.

If you have any knowledge or suggestions for me on this please send your recommendations this way.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
It wasn't that long ago bro; I'm actually still trying to determine a solution. I have improved it slightly however. I installed the boss manifold about 2 months ago, tuned it, everything was fine (a very small loss in throttle response I summed up to being just a characteristic of the new intake manifold). I did the exhaust up about 3 weeks ago now, had them installed then tuned it in the parking lot. I noticed a slight difference in throttle response and the tail pipes would blow actual visible white smoke along with some liquid I determined to be water. Then over the next few days after picking it up I began noticing the very low idle and it would begin to die at every stoplight and in rush hour traffic with was as annoying as it was embarrassing so I called Steeda about the tune and they have been working on figuring it out. It didn't throw the DTC code until last Friday when I checked it just to see if anything has changed. Then I called and reported it to Steeda so they could be begin looking into a solution, at that time I decided to return the vehicle back to stock, then reload my tune, after that I saw some improvement on the drive home. ~7mpg improvement. So I was satisfied until the next day it died again at a stoplight then the mpg went down again to where it was previously. At this time I adjusted the idle rpms on my x4 to 1,000rpms and did the KAM reset and since then I haven't died yet(knock on wood ✊🚪) but it's running sharper and I have a lot of throttle response back. But I did check the x4 again yesterday and it's still throwing the same code.

From what I understand this particular code is related to missing information within the stock factory tune calibrations and this lack of information leaves "gaps" in the vehicles computer causing these issues. I thought returning it to stock would potentially solve this issue but I've had no such luck.

If you have any knowledge or suggestions for me on this please send your recommendations this way.
I'm having the same issue after installing the boss manifold and tuning it. Tho I did use bama tunes. I thought it was the sensors but it's not because I changed those and the problem still persists. Tho the idling isn't as rough it still moves quite a bit. I too see smoke coming out. Today I noticed that the shop I took it to didn't put back on the purge valve. I immediately went online to do some research and found that some people say you can just leave the connection hanging there. Do you have the purge valve hooked up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
hdez41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT