System too lean error code - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Region: Texas
System too lean error code

Ok, I will admit right now, I'm new to upgrades and tuning but reading a lot and seeing others accomplishments made me adventurous. Recently after adding a cold air intake upgrade and a Bama tune 93 octane i started getting miss fires on #3 and stalling on higher RPMs. I put back to stock and was still doing it...ran it for a bit, took it into Ford and they replaced a bad piston 3 gasket??? and they told me to run 87 octane from now on to prevent future error code P0171 and P0174. Ford asked me if I had added any fuel additives or boosters and I said yes, but several tanks earlier. They stated my fuel system ratio was at 14% and should only be at 2% fuel ratio. Ford dealer also informed me running 87 octane was preferred. That didn't really make sense to me and went against what I seen, but I did it anyways...running 87 octane for a few tanks....once again the error code came up again a couple of days ago. So, I'm seeking advice on how to proceed with my 2013 GT 5.0. I also googled the error code and discovered it might be a leaking PCV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-07-22-09-09.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	179951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-07-22-09-25.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	724.5 KB
ID:	179952  

fosterclnjnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Its probably the intake, or you need to replave your mass air flow sensor,.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app
509pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Are you sure you don't have any intake leaks downstream of the MAF sensor?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterclnjnj View Post
Ok, I will admit right now, I'm new to upgrades and tuning but reading a lot and seeing others accomplishments made me adventurous. Recently after adding a cold air intake upgrade and a Bama tune 93 octane i started getting miss fires on #3 and stalling on higher RPMs. I put back to stock and was still doing it...ran it for a bit, took it into Ford and they replaced a bad piston 3 gasket??? and they told me to run 87 octane from now on to prevent future error code P0171 and P0174. Ford asked me if I had added any fuel additives or boosters and I said yes, but several tanks earlier. They stated my fuel system ratio was at 14% and should only be at 2% fuel ratio. Ford dealer also informed me running 87 octane was preferred. That didn't really make sense to me and went against what I seen, but I did it anyways...running 87 octane for a few tanks....once again the error code came up again a couple of days ago. So, I'm seeking advice on how to proceed with my 2013 GT 5.0. I also googled the error code and discovered it might be a leaking PCV.
Use science here....

You changed a variable... the CAI. (which FYI is completely useless, the stock airboxes are already very efficient CAI's.) You were still having the problem after removing the tune, but leaving that (CAI) variable on.

Go back to your STOCK COLD AIR INTAKE! Then test things out... if no errors at 87 octane, try 93 octane, if no errors on 93 octane try Bama tune again.

Change one variable at a time.

1. Go back to stock CAI & stick with 87 octane - test.

2. Try 93 octaine - test

3. Try 93 octane with Bama tune - test.

Personally, I think you probably botched the install. Whether you didn't tighten up all the hoses on the intake or if the sound tube is connected/not connected, etc.

But I also personally think you wasted your money on a CAI, and should revert to the stock airbox... UNLESS you've got a supercharger there's no reason to change out the stock airbox.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
When you said put it back to stock, what do you mean? Intake, tune, or both? Which intake btw?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
When you said put it back to stock, what do you mean? Intake, tune, or both? Which intake btw?
I took that to mean he put the ECU back to stock. B/c he didn't specifically mention removing the CAI. But perhaps he did both!!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Use science here....

You changed a variable... the CAI. (which FYI is completely useless, the stock airboxes are already very efficient CAI's.) You were still having the problem after removing the tune, but leaving that (CAI) variable on.

Go back to your STOCK COLD AIR INTAKE! Then test things out... if no errors at 87 octane, try 93 octane, if no errors on 93 octane try Bama tune again.

Change one variable at a time.

1. Go back to stock CAI & stick with 87 octane - test.

2. Try 93 octaine - test

3. Try 93 octane with Bama tune - test.

Personally, I think you probably botched the install. Whether you didn't tighten up all the hoses on the intake or if the sound tube is connected/not connected, etc.

But I also personally think you wasted your money on a CAI, and should revert to the stock airbox... UNLESS you've got a supercharger there's no reason to change out the stock airbox.
Thanks, great idea. I want to run the tune and CAI but just trying to solve this problem before I go any further as I have additional plans on mods and really don't want to keep making mistakes or at least learn from them. When I put back to stock I was only referring to the ECU. But I will follow your advice and respond back as I agree I probably botched the install and not afraid to admit it. I don't think I wasted my money though, I could tell a substantial difference in the engine sound, exhaust, and RWHP. It was actually a very noticeable difference in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509pony View Post
Its probably the intake, or you need to replave your mass air flow sensor,.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I was having problems with the MAF sensor originally back in Jan, after the initial install of the intake and contacted Bama Performance support. I had left the air reducing sleeve in the system where the MAF is located. I removed it and fixed the MAF errors, but its very possible I still have an issue. I will go over it again and rebuild it. Honestly, I didn't realize this could be a possible issue but makes sense. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
Are you sure you don't have any intake leaks downstream of the MAF sensor?
Thanks for the advise, I'm looking into that this weekend as i was having problems early on with the MAF and had to pull everything and put it back in after removing the air reducing sleeve. Its very possible in my hast, I failed to realize another mistake.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #10

Quote:
I only put the ECU back to stock but left the Airaid CAI in place.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterclnjnj View Post
Thanks, great idea. I want to run the tune and CAI but just trying to solve this problem before I go any further as I have additional plans on mods and really don't want to keep making mistakes or at least learn from them. When I put back to stock I was only referring to the ECU. But I will follow your advice and respond back as I agree I probably botched the install and not afraid to admit it. I don't think I wasted my money though, I could tell a substantial difference in the engine sound, exhaust, and RWHP. It was actually a very noticeable difference in my opinion.
That's a losing battle with most people here lol. I agree with you on it making a difference; however......

Start with verifying your maf is clean. There could have been a ton of oil on the intake filter. If that finds its way to your maf element, it will read wrong. It could also be a vacuum leak as well.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Just my 2 cents worth but I just put a CAI and tune in yesterday. Mines an automatic. The auto. have a sensor which plus into a nipple on the CAI tube right above the PCV nipple. When I plugged the auto tranz fitting onto the nipple is was very loose and I'm certain would have caused a leak. All I did was put an O-ring on the nipple first then plugged the sensor back on and had a nice tight wiggle free fit. Just a thought.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a losing battle with most people here lol. I agree with you on it making a difference; however......

Start with verifying your maf is clean. There could have been a ton of oil on the intake filter. If that finds its way to your maf element, it will read wrong. It could also be a vacuum leak as well.
True. He could go back to the stock airbox, but if his MAF sensor has oil on it from an over oiled aftermarket air filter it would still be giving him errors.

OP, spray your MAF with MAF cleaner.
Available everywhere: O'Reilly, Autozone, Home Depot, etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT