Affording your gt - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegin View Post
I agree with Kona. He makes a good point. I'm impulsive to and if it were me and no student loans I would crawl through broken glass trying to get my GT. And besides what's the first thing someone asks about "is it a V8" you'll sleep better at night knowing you can say "of course it is"

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Exactly sir. That's always the first thing someone asks. Is that a V8? You know the look people make when the person says, "No V6". I agree with you. Dude will feel so much more confident about his man hood that his college buddies will give back his man card. Sleep better, be more successful at finding a good paying job.

What color 5.0 should dude get?

Trying to fake the funk makes you a punk!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ grabber blue...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Black is a lot of maintenance and so is the race red. I think silver or the dark grey. Yeah the dark grey with some gloss black wheels would be sick.

Seegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
^ grabber blue...

Adventure till you drop
I do like that grabber blue. With a set of black wheels. That grabber blue really pops and screams " Hey everybody, look at me". I really like that grabber color.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #40
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I briefly said it before, but here is the longer version.

I am in the same boat as you OP. 20 and in college. I have a paid off 2001 Bullitt that i've been modifying. It is all paid off and insurance isn't terrible. I have thought many many times either selling it and buying a new car with a small loan but i keep thinking why? If i did then i would have to deal with higher insurance, the loan, and higher annual registration.

I save 70% of my paychecks and invest them, have been doing that for the last 2 years and believe me it does make a difference. I have been investing since 16 but not as drastically. Last year i also started my own Roth Ira (retirement account). If i didn't do this then i could afford a brand new fully loaded GT also, but cars depreciate, investments are exponential.

Use these few years to build that base, then in the future you can afford the car much easier, and essentially pay for the entire car off just the interest if you build it enough.

I'm not pretending or claiming to be an expert in this field. But i've been doing a lot of my own research and testing since i'm a Business Finance major. I'm not good with my hands so trade school's aren't, but i love working with money.

Since it is exponential, imagine retiring and thinking to yourself. If you started saving just a few years earlier you could potentially have doubled the ending amount of money you have.

Just my .02

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

I am in the same boat as you OP. 20 and in college. I have a paid off 2001 Bullitt that i've been modifying. It is all paid off and insurance isn't terrible. I have thought many many times either selling it and buying a new car with a small loan but i keep thinking why? If i did then i would have to deal with higher insurance, the loan, and higher annual registration.

I save 70% of my paychecks and invest them, have been doing that for the last 2 years and believe me it does make a difference. I have been investing since 16 but not as drastically. Last year i also started my own Roth Ira (retirement account). If i didn't do this then i could afford a brand new fully loaded GT also, but cars depreciate, investments are exponential.

Use these few years to build that base, then in the future you can afford the car much easier, and essentially off just the interest if you build it enough.

I'm not pretending or claiming to be an expert in this field. But i've been doing a lot of my own research and testing since i'm a Business Finance major. I'm not good with my hands so trade school's aren't, but i love working with money.

Since it is exponential, imagine retiring and thinking to yourself. If you started saving just a few years earlier you could potentially have doubled the ending amount of money you have.

Just my .02
You are so far ahead of the game that it's not even funny. Good for you. You don't hear about a lot of 20 somethings doing this. A lot of us, like me, waited to start doing this and are regretting it. Keep at it and good luck. OP should follow suit.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #42
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
You are so far ahead of the game that it's not even funny. Good for you. You don't hear about a lot of 20 somethings doing this. A lot of us, like me, waited to start doing this and are regretting it. Keep at it and good luck. OP should follow suit.
I worry too much about the future lol. Never been the type of guy to just live in the moment and not care about the consequences.

Also not having a warranty means i can molest the hell out of the car with modifications lol (spent more money modding it than i bought it for a little over 2 years ago).

HID end all thread
Old 04-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Use these few years to build that base, then in the future you can afford the car much easier, and essentially off just the interest if you build it enough.

Just my .02
OP, Andrew here is making way to such sense and giving sound advice. Forget that crap. OP, you need and deserve the rumble of the 5.0 now. Let's be honest here OP, you're young. You have you're entire life to slave, make and save money.

You need this for peace of mind. You deserve the rumble and manual. Think about how much practicing you have done to prepare for a manual 5.0. Are you just going to let that go to waste?

I say no sir, go get that rumble and make us proud. OP, don't listen to the hater's with all their blah blah blah save for this, save for that. What if tomorrow never comes? Should your life tragically come to an end prematurly, don't you want to achieve the rumble of the 5.0?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #44
Registered Member

Regular

^ you're not helping...

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yea I really appreciate all the answers and I think im gonna go ahead and start saving up to get the gt id be happier with the car for a much longer time and plus im not in school debt at all so im happy haha I'm thinking of getting the dark silver or grabber blue if I can find it haha

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
big95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #46
Registered Member

Regular

Afforing your gt

Personally, I'd recommend an 11 GT/CS...
Best looking ford factory coyote powered mustang by far...

Adventure till you drop
Old 04-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by big95 View Post
Yea I really appreciate all the answers and I think im gonna go ahead and start saving up to get the gt id be happier with the car for a much longer time and plus im not in school debt at all so im happy haha I'm thinking of getting the dark silver or grabber blue if I can find it haha

Old 04-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
sterling gray is the easiest to keep clean. they shouldn't have to ask if it's a v8. your exhaust note should show that
A GT is nice, just be sure you are saving for other stuff too. I'm 29, married, and 2 kids. 401k, HSA, stocks...saving up for the future as well as having a nice car.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Personally, I'd recommend an 11 GT/CS...
Best looking ford factory coyote powered mustang by far...

Adventure till you drop
As much as I love the California specials the 13/14 models just look so spot on mustang to me and so aggressive so it's what i really want haha

big95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
13/14 GT/CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by big95 View Post
As much as I love the California specials the 13/14 models just look so spot on mustang to me and so aggressive so it's what i really want haha

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Great, thanks a lot Kona.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
Great, thanks a lot Kona.
Dag nabit. I still say OP getting a manual 5.0 would be awesome. Think of all those sorority girls that would love a man with the rumble of the V8. You can have the ladies eating out the palm of your hand.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Perform structural modifications to the b1 bomber for boeing. Also get some from using my gi bill. Also wife has an income and both our daily drivers are paid off. Got rid of our cable and have only Netflix, vudu, hulu, and a digital antenna. For 8 bucks a month, I get all the viewing I need. Cutting costs wherever possible to use that money to pay off bills ahead of time is key.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhillgt View Post
13/14 GT/CS

+1

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1429218436.514122.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	180176

Just wait till college is done man. I had my V6 for 10 or so years before I was able to save and buy my GT. Believe me, you'll get there.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #55
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I have wanted a new car since I could drive (1999 when I got my license). Just got my first new car and part of that was a commitment I made to myself back when I first started driving. "My first new car will be a Mustang". When I was 20 I was no where near ready to have the burden of a new 30,000+ new car. In fact I didn't even get my first car payment until I was 27? Now I'm 32, was 31 when I bought my 14 gt. I make decent money. My wife makes decent money. That's really not the reason I could get the car, but because I waited, bought a house, built credit ect.

What kills people like yourself, is when you walk into a dealership upside down on a car, have little to no credit or not great credit, and you roll money over and pay ridiculous interest rates.

One time when I was about 19 I went to a ford dealer and had a new stang on my mind. Had the salesman run some numbers ect. Long story short if I had signed that deal I would have paid 49,000 for a 23,000 car. Yeah. That's the dumbest thing I could have done. Thank god I didn't. I'd have a 49000 new edge. Lol. Worth nothing today.

A 20 year old guy who has no career should not own a 30,000 car. That's why you can't afford it.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

If I can get my raise up to $15 an hour then I would be very thankful with McDonalds and I would buy a 5.0

Old 04-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I have wanted a new car since I could drive (1999 when I got my license). Just got my first new car and part of that was a commitment I made to myself back when I first started driving. "My first new car will be a Mustang". When I was 20 I was no where near ready to have the burden of a new 30,000+ new car. In fact I didn't even get my first car payment until I was 27? Now I'm 32, was 31 when I bought my 14 gt. I make decent money. My wife makes decent money. That's really not the reason I could get the car, but because I waited, bought a house, built credit ect.

What kills people like yourself, is when you walk into a dealership upside down on a car, have little to no credit or not great credit, and you roll money over and pay ridiculous interest rates.

One time when I was about 19 I went to a ford dealer and had a new stang on my mind. Had the salesman run some numbers ect. Long story short if I had signed that deal I would have paid 49,000 for a 23,000 car. Yeah. That's the dumbest thing I could have done. Thank god I didn't. I'd have a 49000 new edge. Lol. Worth nothing today.

A 20 year old guy who has no career should not own a 30,000 car. That's why you can't afford it.
Sounds exactly like me. Waited till I bought a house which was my 30th birthday. Bought my mustang the next year.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Im 28 no degree wife 2 kids i work out of town i am a welder at a chemical plant and make $35xhr & $75 perdime per day mon-sat 10hr shifts sux cause im mostly never home kids grow every time i see them get a degree work and come home wish i had done that...but i got a 5.0😢

Kstangs2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

It's all about choices and priorities. One being able to afford something is very different than what someone is willing to spend on something.
I have met people who spend 40k plus on a 5.0 with mods yet live in a trailer park, single wide.
Its about setting priorities in ones life. Neither is wrong but a personal choice.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I'm 18 and in college with a paid off 2003 GT. Although I don't have much experience I say worry about finishing school and then buy one. I bought my first stang (2000 v6 5spd) when I was 16, and always compared it to my dad's 06 supercharged 3v.... But damn was my v6 a fun *** car to drive. Enjoy your car, finish school, land a solid job, buy your baby.....

EDIT: Women don't give a **** about how many cylinders your stang has... just that you're driving one
Old 04-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Affording your gt

No degree, work as a package car driver for UPS and have been with the company for 15 years, most of which were part time. I'm 34. I bought my 14 GT brand new with a down payment and make monthly payments. Never had a new car or even a used car/truck that cost more than $13,000 and I've owned 2 cars and 3 trucks since I was 16 and I still have my my 01 F150 4x4 that I bought 7 years ago. I couldn't imagine having a 420horsepower car in my 20's.

Gable80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone's situation is different. There's no right answer

Gable80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I went to college got a degree in biochemistry and make way more money being a DJ and having alot of fun at my job and working 20-25 hours a week lol

Jicenroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

i would stick with your v6 till you can actually really afford a 5.0. also stay in school and get a degree and find a company or field that you'll like. start investing your time with them. once you get your degree you'll have a couple of years in that field and experenice which will help you find a better paying job so you can get the 5.0. I'm 20 years old going to school part time and working for wells fargo making $20 an hour with bonuses every 3 months.
oh and whatever money you have saved on the side or whatever, INVEST!!!! if its either investing in stocks or buying properties. i have a apartment property currently being rented out by several and i pocket 400-500 every month and at the same time being paid off.
andyx5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #65
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx5oh View Post
i would stick with your v6 till you can actually really afford a 5.0. also stay in school and get a degree and find a company or field that you'll like. start investing your time with them. once you get your degree you'll have a couple of years in that field and experenice which will help you find a better paying job so you can get the 5.0. I'm 20 years old going to school part time and working for wells fargo making $20 an hour with bonuses every 3 months.

oh and whatever money you have saved on the side or whatever, INVEST!!!! if its either investing in stocks or buying properties. i have a apartment property currently being rented out by several and i pocket 400-500 every month and at the same time being paid off.

+100000 on invest.

Right now I've got my money in Mutual Funds. For the past 4 years I've averaged 11.3%.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 04-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+100000 on invest.

Right now I've got my money in Mutual Funds. For the past 4 years I've averaged 11.3%.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

There you go man! We're on the right track. A lot of people don't think of the future and just live in the moment.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

I'm already set for my retirement . the funds are good to go. I'm going on welfare. With the help of the government and you working class suckers, I'm on my way to a retirement care free life. 😈 I'm getting me two 5.0's some day!

Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I'm already set for my retirement . the funds are good to go. I'm going on welfare. With the help of the government and you working class suckers, I'm on my way to a retirement care free life. 😈 I'm getting me two 5.0's some day!

welfare money is peasant money.. lol I'm really hoping you were being sarcastic
Old 04-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Want good advice? If you can't find a good job, then get two. Save up and then get the car...

Adventure till you drop

Your life won't last forever with two jobs. Find a solid career with opportunities and work your way up the ladder.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Your life won't last forever with two jobs. Find a solid career with opportunities and work your way up the ladder.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
+1
exactly what I'm doing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT