sealer in the stock axle back exhaust, is that possible? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
sealer in the stock axle back exhaust, is that possible?

I received yesterday my gt 500 axleback exhaust and today i was in the installation process.Following the instruction (& hundreds of youtube video) i remove the axle back clamps with no problem also the mid pipe was disconnected as well. With everything loose, I wasn't able to removed the mid pipe from the connection between the axle and the mid pipe. looking close to the connection between the pipe and the axle, i saw something that at first look appear to be weld it together. I took my screw driver to clean the rust from it and i notice that what i thought was a welding it is some kind of sealer. Believe or not i wasn't able to take it appart. I was thinking to cut the old axle pipe and work in the mid pipe to remove the old piece of axle pipe connector. Am i in the correct track or are any other way to do it. thanks
alex6es is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Not sure if I am understanding this properly or not... Midpipe shouldn't be touched when doing axlebacks and the clamps are tac welded on so it should pop off with a little force...
Let me know if I completely misunderstood or maybe post some pictures
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #3

Sorry first time dealing with the exhaust. In the picture show as part 5A212 is what i call mid pipe.What is inclosed in a red circle highlight in yellow is what i cant take it appart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle.GIF
Views:	59
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	180256  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
That should come apart with a little force. Is this a new car or used? Maybe someone traded it in and put some sealer in there to keep it together after taking off aftermarket axle backs. Weird though, you would think if it was sealer it would burn off. What color is it? Could be a high temp gasket sealer.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #5

back in 2013 i got a problem with the exhaust, i could be wrong but i think was a p401 code. i took to the dealer only 18k miles and they fixed. Now im wonder if the dealer put this Black "sealer" or high temperature gasket. This thing is black in color and look like a plastic. Could be a gasket but it is holding the two pipe together like glue and i dont see away to take apart.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Could be something like this
Permatex/Water pump and thermostat RTV silicone gasket 22071 at AutoZone.com
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Is the black stuff all the way around the pipe or just in one spot?

Wayne
Old 04-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

Because the GT is my daily ride , i need to put it back together. I go to give another try tonight. I want to reused the stock axle if it is need it in the future(probably between axle upgrade). I go to take some picture of the black stuff for future reference.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I just put my twin tip Shelby mufflers on my 14 today, and there was no type of sealer on the ball joint...........mine has 6700 miles and has never been touched. Maybe the dealer put some type of sealer there, but they shouldn't have because it's not needed.
Do you have a small propane torch, maybe you can heat it up and get it loose. I'd have a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
Send us some pictures.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust