New Tires for GT w/Brembo Pack? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
New Tires for GT w/Brembo Pack?

This may belong in the wheel/tire section but I put it here since my question is specific to the 11-14 GT.

I have a 2011 GT w/Brembo package, currently on the stock rims with no plans on changing them. The car had the OEM P-Zeros when I bought it; I swapped them out for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The difference was night and day - lower noise, better ride, more grip, better steering feel, easier to put down power, etc. Worth every $$$.

I have about 20,000 miles on the tires now. The tread is getting pretty thin, and we had a very cold winter here which may have increased the overall wear. My car is a DD (I live very close to work), so I had to drive it in some very cold weather. I drive the car fairly hard, but have not run any track days or spent Friday nights doing burnouts in a parking lot.

My questions are:
1.) How much mileage did you get out of max performance tires on your GT? Is 20,000 miles a reasonable expectation?

2.) What tires are you currently running, and how do you like 'em?
SpeedAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This totally depends on your tread wear rating of the the tire. More grip/higher performance tire usually equals less mileage due to being softer . I feel like 20k isn't horrible for not being a track car though

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got 25k out of my toyos but was due for some new ones at about 20

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
20k is great for performance tires on sports cars that are generally driven hard.

Pilot Super Sports give you the grip of nearly a cup (track) tire, but wear almost as good as a normal street tire.

By the way I only got about 8,000k miles out of my Pilot Super Sports!! But I did about 4-5 track days. (each day = 4-5 sessions of 20-30 minutes of hard core road course driving)

I really need more camber as the edges were worn bad on the fronts from turns and the rears were just worn all around.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'm running the MICKEY THOMPSON STREET COMP TIRE 275/35-20 on the rear and 255/25-20 on the front. Any one have a good idea how many miles I can hope to see from these bad boys? This is my first set of summer tires ever so I'm new to it.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
For those who are running Michelin super sports, I guess there is warranty period of 30k miles (squared setup) or 15k on staggered since you can't rotate. I'd contact Michelin to see if something can be done, provided you still have your proof of purchase.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
For those who are running Michelin super sports, I guess there is warranty period of 30k miles (squared setup) or 15k on staggered since you can't rotate. I'd contact Michelin to see if something can be done, provided you still have your proof of purchase.
They didn't cover mine b/c of extreme edge wear, due to (road course) tracking the car.

1. They don't cover track use.
2. It looks like an alignment issue, when one section (outer edges) are extremely worn with a decent amount of meat left on other places. I needed to change to 911GT3 control arms with camber adjustments.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Was it a dealer or did you speak directly to Michelin?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

Region: Virginia
Good thoughts, all. I have been pleased with the tires' wear overall, considering most drivers with max performance tires seem to get only 12-15k miles out of them. The tires do have lots of outside edge wear, as one of you mentioned. I haven't done track days but enjoy some fast road driving.

Treadwear rating on the Pilot Super Sports is 300 (compared to 180-240 for most max performance summer tires); keep in mind that treadwear ratings are pretty arbitrary and vary by manufacturer.

I'll probably just drop a new set of them on soon. They perform so well without sacrificing ride or comfort that they're worth the high cost. Grip is absolutely stupid. Only real downsides? VERY low grip in cold weather, much more so than the OEM Pirellis. You really can't lay down any power in sub-40-degree temps. They also need some time/heat before they work properly, much like a R-compound or DOT-legal race tire.
SpeedAKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would think 20,000 decent for performance tires depending on how you drive. I am a spirited driver and gone to track a few times on daily tires. I have a 2013 GT with Brembo. Original Perelli on stock wheels went about 13,000-15,000. I then got 20" AMR's with Sumitomo HZR III and they got me about 20,000. New Nitto Invo just got here today
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAKL View Post
I'll probably just drop a new set of them on soon. They perform so well without sacrificing ride or comfort that they're worth the high cost. Grip is absolutely stupid. Only real downsides? VERY low grip in cold weather, much more so than the OEM Pirellis. You really can't lay down any power in sub-40-degree temps. They also need some time/heat before they work properly, much like a R-compound or DOT-legal race tire.
Pretty much sums up my experience too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT