difference between gas stations - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
difference between gas stations

greetings

i want to compare between 2 stations , can i know which one is better by data logging ?

how can i find out ?

Thanks
MooDy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
im guessing not. but im still curious to find out.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yes a data log can tell you how good the gas is.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Yes a data log can tell you how good the gas is.
This is good, Can u tell me how?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Kind of "HERD to do.

Take the same gas station-- Every time a truck comes to refill their huge tanks, The gas may be just a tad different due to the drivers of the trucks add the additives.
They may or may not be spot on because will they be exactly the same when being produced in the first place?
Even the gas may be refined slightly different. There is probably a slight difference when the crude come out of the hole in the ground.
We all know that weather causes a slight difference.

Even if you data log every time you fill up, I don't think that it would help you much unless your talking about different brands of the exact same octane.
Then you would have to drain ever ounce out of the tank each time to be accurate.
A whole lot of work for not a lot of information.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
There are only 4-5 different REAL gases in most areas (Shell, Exxon, Valero, BP, etc).

ie: if you're going to Joe's corner gas station vs. Time Saver, Circle K, etc.. etc.. you're getting the same thing as other places. There are only so many refineries in your area, so all of the small (non-refinery owning) guys are just selling some no-label gas from one of the big 4-5 in your area.

All of the additives are mostly gimmicks. Modern fuels are very clean, engines don't have any build up issues. All these detergents, techron, etc... cleaners are completely unnecessary.

I do fill up at a "pure gasoline" (no ethanol) station with 93 octane, for my mustang only b/c I don't drive it a lot, so I don't want ethanol sitting in my tanks/lines for extended periods of time and I want the 93 octane for highest hp/performance.

Ethanol - why I don't use it in my mustang.

I use it in my other 2 cars. (daily drivers for wife & me)
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Either get no ethanol gas or get it from a top tier fuel station...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
There are only 4-5 different REAL gases in most areas (Shell, Exxon, Valero, BP, etc).

ie: if you're going to Joe's corner gas station vs. Time Saver, Circle K, etc.. etc.. you're getting the same thing as other places. There are only so many refineries in your area, so all of the small (non-refinery owning) guys are just selling some no-label gas from one of the big 4-5 in your area.

All of the additives are mostly gimmicks. Modern fuels are very clean, engines don't have any build up issues. All these detergents, techron, etc... cleaners are completely unnecessary.

I do fill up at a "pure gasoline" (no ethanol) station with 93 octane, for my mustang only b/c I don't drive it a lot, so I don't want ethanol sitting in my tanks/lines for extended periods of time and I want the 93 octane for highest hp/performance.
i am from saudi Arabia , i am using 95 octane ,i think it's =91 in USA but some stations mix it with lower octane like 91. So i have to find out which one is better.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDy5.0 View Post
i am from saudi Arabia , i am using 95 octane ,i think it's =91 in USA but some stations mix it with lower octane like 91. So i have to find out which one is better.
Ah... totally different story. I have no idea what you have over there!!

Gas stations here have their gas inspected/tested, so you know the octane.

Locally, we have 87 (regular), 89 (plus), 92 or 93 depending on brand (premium).

On a somewhat related note. I have a tune on my 3.5L Ecoboost F150, and the 87 octane tune (+50 hp) gets about 14.5 MPG vs. the 93 octane tune (+90hp) gets about 15.5. So the higher octane does give me a little better MPG (7% more), but I don't think its quite worth the extra expense (20% more). The extra hp aren't worth the 13% difference for my daily driver truck. In my mustang, I'd run the 93 tune and get the higher performance and MPG for more $.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i mean some of the gas stations here have dusty and rusty tanks and the quality is not the same in all stations, so i would like to know how can i find out which gas staition is better by data log
Old 04-29-2015, 03:51 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post

I totally disagree with you on the topic of additives such as techron being "unnecessary".

I use shell gasoline, because of them adding techron into their blends. In the past 5 years, I've owned 4 vehicles that I've put over 100K on them (two of which I still own), and I've never had to pull a throttle body off to clean off any potential build up. My vehicles engines have continued to idle smoothly, and when I pull a spark plug or two out on a boring weekend, they indicate a very clean cylinder.

I even go so far as to dump an additional bottle of techron into the gas tank twice a year for good measure.

It works.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I totally disagree with you on the topic of additives such as techron being "unnecessary".

I use shell gasoline, because of them adding techron into their blends. In the past 5 years, I've owned 4 vehicles that I've put over 100K on them (two of which I still own), and I've never had to pull a throttle body off to clean off any potential build up. My vehicles engines have continued to idle smoothly, and when I pull a spark plug or two out on a boring weekend, they indicate a very clean cylinder.

I even go so far as to dump an additional bottle of techron into the gas tank twice a year for good measure.

It works.
I dont know what it is, but the Shell stations around me, either in orlando or clearwater/tampa are usually podunk stations, and i usually hear bad things about them. and Shell was the only place that ive experienced bad gas myself. Yet everyone in other parts of the US say shell is great, and top teir and all that.

either way, I have good luck with Mobil, Chevron is i can find it, BP, Even race track, wawa and thorntons.

And thanks for reminding me, im probably about due for a small bottle of techron.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

It works.
Your single sample logic means nothing.

Logic:
You use gas A. And your 5.0 engine is clean.
Does not equal your engine is clean b/c of gas A.

Or that only gas A can result in a clean engine.

98% of people running gas B, C, D, & E (all other brands) all have clean 5.0 engines too in the first 100,000 miles.

Gas A could only have 50% of people with clean engines and you happen to be in that 50%.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Another good reason to keep my 3.7 V6

I can run 87 Octane Sams gas--BJ's Gas --Shell or anything in it and it always runs great and gets good MPG.
Of course I do not have a tune so 87 works fine.

I think the coyote V8's are way more sensitive to what they drink. If I had one I would more likely always use 93 Octane even without a tune.

Plus I gotta say:::" Additives the gas company's put into the gas is not a gimmick. They do keep the system clean, They also stabilize the gas as summer blend or winter blend. One additive that Bucko mentioned is "TECHRON" which is owned by Chevron and sold to most other company's due to patents and copyright protection.

The OP trying to data log a gas to see which is supposed to be best will not work because every time he fills up the gas will be just a small tad different when even using the same gas station.
He is better off just going to the same station and buying the same gas and let the computer in his car compensate for any difference.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The quality of gas can be seen in the amount of activity you see on your knock sensors and timing advance/****** in a datalog. Diluted gas would show more knock than a "true" 91(95 for you).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT