"build" prep - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
"build" prep

Just wanting to put up my plans for my car and get any feedback.

First up I want a rounded car, meaning I want to enjoy straight lines but also feel confident in corners. Im not picky on what is lost with gains in performance such as ride quality, hell it is a mustang anyways. It is a DD but not during the winter though.
First I want to address the traction and handling portion of her: I have my koni yellows (2011-14) already and planned on BMR rear lower control arms and mount, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable rear upper arm and mount and the regular SP009 springs. I planned on trying to get away with my stock mounts like I have seen some others successfully do, if not I will address that when the time comes.

Next with the traction I would like to get my wheels setup better. This is where I am not so sure. I am thinking about the MT SC-5 18x9/10.5 rims and running MT street comps. Or saving some cash and buying the OE but 18x10 rears (Black 2010 OE Style Mustang Wheel (18x10) (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping). I would like to have around a 255/295 setup, as I think that should be plenty.

After all of this is when I would think about tuning and throwing on a o/r midpipe, along with a bob's oil separator. The tune I would like to use Mike Rousch, does anyone know if he offers his tune and the handheld in a package?

This would pretty much be the extent of my modding until I finish school a long time from now.. I appreciate any feedback even if it's *****ing about how many threads are like this, but the difference is this one is mine(yes I did have a suspension one but trying to tie all of this together now)
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Looks good. I assume you have an automatic... (Mike Rousch tune). His are supposedly the best auto tunes. Your handling stuff all looks fine.

The wheels... check weights. So many people just go on pure looks. Wheels can vary + or -5 lbs easily from nice lightweight wheels to crappy. (so 10 lb difference each wheel from great to crap x 4 wheels!)

For example: (19"x9" examples, 18's should be a little lower, 20's are a little higher)
  • good lightweight forged wheels - < 24 lbs approx.
  • average wheels - 28+- lbs. APPROX.
  • heavy crappy cast wheels - >30 lbs approx.

So if you go on pure looks you might be adding 20-40 lbs of unsprung / rotational mass to your car. Lightweight wheels helps the car do EVERYTHING better. Handling is better (tires can bounce up & down easier). Braking & acceleration are better (less rotating weight). etc. Balancing nice wheels is easier, they typically take less weight and rarely have problems with shaking, etc.. b/c they're higher quality and perfectly balanced from the factory.

My analogy would be having a really powerful nice computer, but then hooking it up to a 13" black & white monitor, instead of a 30" nice LCD. Everything from the engine (computer) interfaces through the tires (monitor) to the road (you / your eyes).

ie: tires are on of the most important parts of the equation, and could be your weakest link that causes crappy performance.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Great point on the tire weights! And yes it is an auto sorry. Stock 18x8 are about 25lbs correct?
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
The tune I would like to use Mike Rousch, does anyone know if he offers his tune and the handheld in a package?
I've been wondering this as well. I've got his shops number programmed in my phone I just haven't called yet because I keep going back and forth on tuning my car. If I make the call before someone else chimes in I'll let you know.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT