VOID WARRANTY???? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

VOID WARRANTY????

Will a axle back exhaust void my warranty? I still have 2 years bumper to bumper and 4 years powertrain... Let me know guys. I wanna put a axle back exhaust on and that's it..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
louie5505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie5505 View Post
Will a axle back exhaust void my warranty? I still have 2 years bumper to bumper and 4 years powertrain... Let me know guys. I wanna put a axle back exhaust on and that's it..
Hey Louie - That's a really good question and despite an Axle-Back Exhaust System essentially being only a muffler replacement some dealers will be more harsh than others. My best suggestion would be to contact your dealer directly or stop by to speak with a service manager as there's really nothing that could go wrong with them.

Let me know if you have any other question and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My dealer hasn't cared, or maybe hasn't noticed. That being said, if you are concerned just keep your stock axle backs and swap them in if you ever take it to the dealer.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Can I go to any ford dealer? Or do I have to deal with the dealer I bought off? Bc that dealer is far

Old 04-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Whoa skippy. It sounds like you need to do much studying on vehicles, vehicle warranty and the service process.
Your original question regarding axle backs and warranty, most likely you won't have any problems BUT all warranty claims are widely varied in how they are denied or accepted depending on the dealership you USE.
You have a FORD warranty, not a dealership warranty. You may take your Ford to any Ford dealership regardless where you bought it.
Now grab the most basic book about cars, car buying, servicing etc and crack it.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I just took my 2014 GT in for warranty work. I have Roush axle back exhaust. The service manager brought me my car and said "it sounds good, how are you liking your mustang?"

Depends on the dealer. I didn't buy my car from this dealer. They just wanted my business.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hard to justify them refusing warranty work for different mufflers. I'm sure there some a-hole dealers that might try it (I would think it is rare). Better to go to another dealer than try to fight it.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hard to justify them refusing warranty work for different mufflers. I'm sure there some dealers that might try it (I would think it is rare). Better to go to another dealer than try to fight it.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Mod your car, you risk voiding the warranty. If you want to play sometimes you have to pay.

I mod my car, calculating the risk. Up to you to decide how much risk you want to take.

Me, I think mufflers are a good risk.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:56 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it shouldn't (except for the mufflers or melting of valance) as mentioned talk to the dealer where you want to bring it in for service/wtty work. I also make it a point to say "hi" to my salesperson each time I go in. It helped me with a wtty claim once. Wtty by Ford NOT the dealer!!! Go for it...ya know you want to!!!!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
To directly answer you questions;

If a dealer decides to void a warranty because of an after market parts install, it would only affect the part it replaced. As a simple example to your axle back install, a dealer would most likey void the exhaust warranty of your Mustang, but the remainder of the Mustang would be fully covered. Makes sense, as the exhaust is no longer the factory installed item, so how can they expect to cover it if it fails (exhaust)?

Second, you have a Ford factory warranty, so any Ford dealership will honor it. If you are on a trip out of town, and something happens to your Mustang, you can take it to the nearest Ford dealership for coverage of any factory failed components while it is still under warranty.

Tuners are the biggest concern for warranty coverage. A tune effects the engine management "mapping". This means it changes the fuel/air ratio settings, the timing, and if an automatic transmission is equipped, it can change the shifting points, and the firmness of those shift points.

And here's where the most part of your factory warranty (drivetrain) could be at risk. Some dealers will stick by the book, and not cover your drivetrain issues if a tune was installed. And yes, they can detect if a tune was installed, even if you reset the stock tune back into the ECU/PCM (engine control unit or Powertrain control module) before visiting the dealership. However, some dealerships will still cover you, some will not.

As AMAlexLazarus states, the best way to know is to visit your local dealership and simply talk with a service advisor before you do any modifications to find out what it might effect in the way of warranty issues, if any. And if you're not happy with their potential denial of warranty coverage, try another dealership; many here have stated one Ford dealership said they would deny coverage, another said it would be fine, as long as the tune was returned to stock prior to the visit, and it was determined that the tune did not cause the drivetrain failure. This is where it could get difficult to fight a dealership denial for a warranty issue based on a tune install.

Most tuning companies will also stand behind their tunes, and state they work closely with Ford to verify they will not cause issues with the drivetrain.

Custom tunes fall into "iffy" with this though; they are usually more aggressive with the timing and fuel to air mapping. It's doubtful that they will stand behind a warranty issue should that custom tune cause a drivetrain failure.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Build a relationship with your service advisor and svc mgr. Axle back exhaust is on the mild side of modding. My dealer knows about my mods.

My hats off to Alex at AM for helping me get into a full Cobra Jet intake package. I texted my svc advisor about the news. His response was Woo Hoo can't wait to drive it.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #13

Some great advise in this thread and some VERY BAD advise as well.

The best and most accurate advise that was given a couple times is to take the time to "interview" a couple dealerships by speaking directly with the Service Manager. The goal of these conversations is to get to know the Service Manager and the dealership. Talk to him/her about the plans you have for your car and ask them if they will have issue should you have a warranty claim.

I can share a personal example with you....My car had a Steeda CAI, SW Catback, JLT Oil Sep, Avant Garde M510 Wheels, GT500 Rear Spoiler, Koni Yellows, Steeda SPort Springs, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets, and a couple other mods. I developed the infamous BBQ igniter tick and was able to get my engine replaced (complete long block). 3K miles after installing the new motor I added a Paxton kit with ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Quad Exhaust, Lethal O/R X, various Gauges, CF Driveshaft, etc. and they rebuilt my rear end because it whined like crazy. It's been in for a couple cosmetic interior and exterior items without issue either.

Point is your experience will vary from dealership to dealership but if you establish a solid working relationship with your Service Manager it will go a long way towards getting repairs done under warranty.
buggywhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you all so much for the advise
Old 05-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My Service Manager, after they installed my Ford Racing Track tune "I love your car, man, it's done just right - if you ever think about trading it in, let me know..."
Nice to hear, considering how many Mustangs he must see...
The only thing they haven't covered they couldn't have - early on I installed Shelby track LCAs. They had Heim joints front and rear - noisy as f**k. They transmitted so much noise I was convinced my diff was going. The service guys correctly diagnosed the LCAs as the source - hard bushings make excellent transmitters. Once I put in GT500 LCAs it was 'cured'.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT