Girodiscs - lightweight rotors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Girodiscs - lightweight rotors

So I was thinking of getting Girodisc's 2-piece lightweight rotors:
No Limit Motorsport: Girodisc Front 2pc Floating Rotors 11+ Mustang GT w/Standard Caliper - front
No Limit Motorsport: Girodisc Rear 2pc Floating Rotors 2005+ Mustang GT - rear

They save 3.5 lbs each x 4 = 14 lbs of unspring/ rotational mass saved.

(This does not need to start a debate on whether its worth it or cost effective. Yes, it is an expensive part for the amount of weight saved, but it is unsprung/rotational mass too.)

The problem is Girodisc stopped making the front rotors for stock calipers. The rear 2-piece rotors are still available. They also still make them for the Brembo Mustangs.

Anyway, they've told me they would do a batch if I ordered 5 sets. Retail is $700/pair. I did not ask what the price would be if I ordered all 5 myself, as I don't want to be responsible for collecting, shipping, etc..

And I obviously do not need 5 !!! But I would like 1 set. So IF you'd like to order a front pair of Girodisc 2-piece lightweight rotors, please chime in here. I'm #1. I'll get together with them IF we get 5 or more people interested.
1 - me
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -

They are high quality parts, that you reuse the center piece, and just order the outer rings when needed. (about $300/pair for the outer ring)
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I'm not going to say much except if you are going to spend that kind of money at least upgrade the calipers to 4 piston, it just doesn't make sense to stay with the stock calipers.
I've used Aerospace Components 4 piston brake systems on most of my drag cars with excellent results.........stopping my 3000lb Maverick from 9.80 runs with 10"rotors in front and 11" in the rear.....

4 Piston Pro Street Front Drilled, Slotted, Plated Brake Kit 05-14 Mustang (Hat Style)
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
4 piston has zero impact on clamping force, you're still using the same hydraulic system as the stockers. The point of 4 and 6 piston calipers like brembos is for more even pad wear in a road racing situation as rotors start to increase in size. 1 or 2 pistons on a 15" rotor doesnt make sense, but 6 does.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

I agree and am not talking about clamping force when going to 4 piston calipers.
If the OP is dead set against upgrading the front rotors/calipers to a larger size the 4 piston calipers will a least give him a more even clamping force and the force will be better distributed across the pads which will give a better contact area.
Even if you left the complete system unchanged and just went to bigger rotors you would get better brake performance, much like I've done on my car by going to 13.8" rotors in the rear.
When you are talking about a brake system for racing the total package has to be thought out very carefully as the braking force that is available is dependent on a number of things, not just calipers and rotors. Such as; tire traction, pad coefficient of friction, weight shift, front/rear braking bias, brake disc size and caliper clamping force to mention a few.
Saving weight is great if you have a race car......IMHO
Old 04-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I completely misread the OP and didnt see he needed to upgrade size to run these rotors, hence, i did not understand your suggesting the 4 pistons. Thats my bad. I figured you, like many, just assumed they were better (as far as stopping is concerned) calipers.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

No problem.
I like many others have gained a lot respect for brake systems while building cars to compete in NHRA and SCCA.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, i've recently started doing HPDE, and its one of those things that the more you know, the more questions you end up having haha.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

I cut my teeth with SCCA, took their 3 day driving school with the race car shortly after it was built and going through Tech was eye opening...............after I got my Drivers license I had to change a few things before they would let me compete. Then got my TI License and that brought a totally different meaning to Inspection and the reason behind such strict rules/regulations. The SCCA has even stricter rules than NHRA, go figure.
I was asked to helped Tech for a large NASA event at Thunderhill one time and was told to "Lighten Up"...........never got asked back though.
Can't wait to get the Mustang to some open track days later this year along with the Silver States Classic in September.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

i traded my Mustang for a miata, the consumables were killing me, but the car was a true champ and i know it could still out drive me with very little work done. They really are fantastic cars. At any rate, i feel we've jacked OPs thread a little haha.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Yea, we've changed directions a little.
Funny you say that, I started racing in SCCA with a Spec Miata and loved that car!
Old 04-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I was going to change pads to a more durable track pad, something mid grade... not too harsh / loud when cold, like (not Pagid yellows), etc..

But maybe I should just go with something like this:

Ford Racing Mustang 14" SVT Front Brake Upgrade kit w/ 2 Piece Rotors (05-14) 161-M-2300-SA - Free Shipping!

which would upgrade to Brembos and 2-piece front rotors at the same time.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Holy crap no, that is way too expensive.

Call Vorshlag, and they may even knock the price down a little if you remove the rotors:

S197 Mustang 14" Brembo Front Brake Upgrade Kit - Vorshlag LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Yea, we've changed directions a little.
Funny you say that, I started racing in SCCA with a Spec Miata and loved that car!
Yeah, i swore i'd never get one, too slow, yada yada yada ... my 01 is a BLAST and its virtually stock, just some stock MSM suspension and 15 x 7 spec miata rims with some mild 205s on it.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Holy crap no, that is way too expensive.

Call Vorshlag

S197 Mustang 14" Brembo Front Brake Upgrade Kit - Vorshlag LLC
That's not apples to apples.

The kit I linked to comes with SS lines for front & rear, 2-piece rotors which are a big part of the cost, backer plater, etc.

The kit you linked if you add the SS lines +$250, backer plate +$80, etc.. the 2-piece rotors would add $500+ also. So we'd be right up to about the same price.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Well, I was going to change pads to a more durable track pad, something mid grade... not too harsh / loud when cold, like (not Pagid yellows), etc..

But maybe I should just go with something like this:

Ford Racing Mustang 14" SVT Front Brake Upgrade kit w/ 2 Piece Rotors (05-14) 161-M-2300-SA - Free Shipping!

which would upgrade to Brembos and 2-piece front rotors at the same time.
If you are going to upgrade to a 4 piston, why not go with a 6 piston for the same amount of $$$$?

Front Pro+ Big Brake System S197 4261211 - Baer Brakes

Then you will certainly want to change the rear small brakes to something more substantial................

Rear Pro+ Big Brake System Ford 8.8 S197 4262163 - Baer Brakes

Remember, you're young...............and four wheel Baer disc brakes is just like an investment................right?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
If you are going to upgrade to a 4 piston, why not go with a 6 piston for the same amount of $$$$?

Front Pro+ Big Brake System S197 4261211 - Baer Brakes

Then you will certainly want to change the rear small brakes to something more substantial................

Rear Pro+ Big Brake System Ford 8.8 S197 4262163 - Baer Brakes

Remember, you're young...............and four wheel Baer disc brakes is just like an investment................right?
Rears are way too much $.

I do like the front kit, and I do like how you can pick the color, etc. I just now played around in photoshop and the Orange calipers looked good on my car surprisingly. (guess it makes sense orange & blue are complimentary colors)

I'm also taking resale value in to account on all of my upgrades b/c I generally don't keep cars very long... (4-5 years max, sometimes a lot less) I think the Brembo (Ford parts) would be better for resale. Also, I don't want to dump $5k++ on brakes if I only keep the car for 2 years total. I'm considering getting a 2016 GT350, if they become readily available like the Boss 302's were by 2013. What I'd really like my next car to be is so impractical (2-seater) for me, but I might make it happen... is a Cayman GT4. I miss my trusty old Cayman S. Sad right, I bought a brand new (approx. 3,000 miles on it now) 2014 GT Prem. Convertible, fully loaded with some nice aftermarket parts on it already and I'm already kind of bored & thinking of my next car.

Back to the Giro's vs. caliper & rotor swap. I like that I was going to be able to swap the rotors out myself in probably 15 minutes per tire if that. Where if I buy the other kit with new lines, etc.. I'd just pay to get that installed as it more complex, you have to bleed the brakes, etc. And while I was doing it, I'd put some Motul600/650 in there too.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Rears are way too much $.

I do like the front kit, and I do like how you can pick the color, etc. I just now played around in photoshop and the Orange calipers looked good on my car surprisingly. (guess it makes sense orange & blue are complimentary colors)

I'm also taking resale value in to account on all of my upgrades b/c I generally don't keep cars very long... (4-5 years max, sometimes a lot less) I think the Brembo (Ford parts) would be better for resale. Also, I don't want to dump $5k++ on brakes if I only keep the car for 2 years total. I'm considering getting a 2016 GT350, if they become readily available like the Boss 302's were by 2013. What I'd really like my next car to be is so impractical (2-seater) for me, but I might make it happen... is a Cayman GT4. I miss my trusty old Cayman S. Sad right, I bought a brand new (approx. 3,000 miles on it now) 2014 GT Prem. Convertible, fully loaded with some nice aftermarket parts on it already and I'm already kind of bored & thinking of my next car.

Back to the Giro's vs. caliper & rotor swap. I like that I was going to be able to swap the rotors out myself in probably 15 minutes per tire if that. Where if I buy the other kit with new lines, etc.. I'd just pay to get that installed as it more complex, you have to bleed the brakes, etc. And while I was doing it, I'd put some Motul600/650 in there too.
If you are only going to keep the car for a short time I wouldn't do anything, just keep it stock.
If it were me I'd just upgrade to the Brembo 4piston in the front and change the rotors in the rear to the Shelby GT500 13.8" like I did.................it cost me less than $400 and I did it in a couple of hours (I work slow).
As for thinking about the 16 GT350, I believe all 5000 will be spoken for by the time they hit the show room floors. Still not sold on the flat crank............just doesn't sound right.
Resale value for the aftermarket parts, even Ford stuff is penny's on the dollar when it comes to resale...............even though yours is a convertible, I just don't see getting your money back unless you find that one person in a million.
I've never owned a Porsche although I've got a few friends that have/do. Unless you are talking a Cayman GTS..............I think they look a little clunky...........but that's just me. For my way of thinking the only Porsche is a 911.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I am not a porsche fan, but that new GT4 ... mmmmmm

How about instead of focusing on weight from the brakes, you focus on weight from the rims? May end up costing about the same in the end considering the brake options you're looking at, and the potential to shave weight is much higher.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How about instead of focusing on weight from the brakes, you focus on weight from the rims? May end up costing about the same in the end considering the brake options you're looking at, and the potential to shave weight is much higher.
Already have some very lightweight wheels. Saved over 5 lbs per wheel over stock already.

Olerodder, I'm not looking to recoup money spent on mods. I'm just trying to make sure they don't DETRACT from my car's value too much. You go with too hardcore (as view by many) aftermarket stuff away from stock and people don't want to buy your car.

The Brembo calipers would look stock as they come on many GT's. Just like the GT500 axlebacks, and many of my mods already done, the car still LOOKS completely stock. If I bought the Girodisc 2-piece rotors I'd have taken them off before selling and put my brand new stock rotors back on with stock calipers and it would look like a new car still was what I was thinking.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

A lot of years ago I got to be behind the wheel of a GT-3 at Thunderhill.................and there is a little difference between coming into turn 1 at 100mph in the Spec Miata rather than 150mph in the GT-3.................fantastic car!
Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Already have some very lightweight wheels. Saved over 5 lbs per wheel over stock already.

Olerodder, I'm not looking to recoup money spent on mods. I'm just trying to make sure they don't DETRACT from my car's value too much. You go with too hardcore (as view by many) aftermarket stuff away from stock and people don't want to buy your car.

The Brembo calipers would look stock as they come on many GT's. Just like the GT500 axlebacks, and many of my mods already done, the car still LOOKS completely stock. If I bought the Girodisc 2-piece rotors I'd have taken them off before selling and put my brand new stock rotors back on with stock calipers and it would look like a new car still was what I was thinking.
I understand.
For me it's about building the car I want and although I've never had any issues with people wanting to buy my street cars/hot rods/race cars, it's just about me. Guess I've never considered how much it would be worth when I sell it. Again, it's just about my personal taste.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Not to hijack the thread again......sorry.........here are a couple of pictures of me in the Spec and GT-3R. All were taken at Thunderhill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1951.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	181427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001095.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	181428  

Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice. My fiance and i are taking the summer off (im sure the same holds true there, too hot to even bother) and are hoping to have our 2001 on track early fall. I've blown the doors off my fair share of miatas in the 5.0, but had more than a few give me hell too. Really excited to see how it does, but its going to be a hell of a change of pace.

Not sure how into things you still are, but i watched the coverage of 949 racing the 25 hours of thunderhill, that looks like an awesome track.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

The track is a challenging one depending on which section you race on. It's also a pretty forgiving track if you happen to do a "off and on" as it's pretty wide open and not as many K walls as Laguna or Sears Point. Some of the elevation changes are blind and one in particular is 5E............I've had a couple of off-and-ons there during heated competition.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT