Pro cal tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Pro cal tuner

Anyone use a pro cal on there car n see any gains or difference . Looking to buy one from ford racing . I think there going for 400 bucks

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Stang_u_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I heard its $400 not well spent. The Ford tune only bumps the power a little bit. Go with a BAMA V2,Rouch or whatever.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ford will only let me do a pro cal to keep the warranty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You still lose your drivetrain warranty through Ford. It's picked up by Ford Racing. Two different companies.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The service guy said i would still have full warranty. I want to keep warranty till i hit at least 30k

Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Get that in writing then

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Most definitely getting it in writing

Old 05-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've got the ProCal tune on my car and I think it really improves driveability and throttle response. Though it only adds 9 ft.lb. of torque peak, it increases the torque at 1500 RPM by 60 ft.lb. That's a very handy range to have some extra grunt on a street car. Horsepower is claimed to increase by 16. I can feel the smoother acceleration and she starts pulling hard lower in the RPM range. Not sure why this isn't the factory tune.

On the subject of the warranty, Ford Racing picks up any engine claims caused by the tune, all your other power train coverage remains in effect. The warranty detail is here:

http://fordperformanceracingparts.co...ement_2014.pdf

But here is the salient language:

Installation of these select Ford Racing and mountune LLC warranted performance packs and components by an authorized dealer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by Ford Racing Performance Parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Ford Racing and mountune LLC performance parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Racing and mountune performance parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly, Ford Racing and mountune performance parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Racing or mountune performance pack or component, the period and coverage of this Ford Racing Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.

Lastly, if you live in California, the Ford Racing ProCal tunes are CARB legal. The only downside I can see is the requirement to use premium fuel only.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I use the FR Trackcal Tune

2013 Mustang GT Brembo, BMR LCA with Relo Brackets, UCA with mount, Panhard bar, Ford Racing Trackcal Tune, Borla S Type Catback Exhaust, K and N Air filter, 275 MPSS tires
DylanWhisnant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Is that warranty friendly

Old 05-09-2015, 10:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I just installed the Procal tune last Sunday. You can definitely feel the change in throttle response and increased torque in the lower RPM range. It also dramatically increases how hard your car engine brakes. It also gets rid of the jerkiness at low RPMs at slow speeds that make you feel like you don't know how to drive a manual. In my opinion it's money well spent. I'm actually going to call Ford Racing and see if I can order the Track Cal tune without the K&N air filter and tuner. Hopefully they can just load the tune on an SD card and send it to me for a lot less than the kit.
Brockman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Everyone knows i poke my head into all these threads bc Ive had such extraordinary results with this canned tune.

Results in sig. I paid $280 for this package with the tuner and the K&N I never used, 3 years ago. Definitely money well spent. I had a dealer put it on for 50 bucks, to maintain the warranty. Car has been in for warranty service, even one major one, without any concerns.

It made the car actually feel like a 400+ horsepower car. The factory tune was awful. Rev hang, skipshift, torqueless off the bottom, etc.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Everyone knows i poke my head into all these threads bc Ive had such extraordinary results with this canned tune.

Results in sig. I paid $280 for this package with the tuner and the K&N I never used, 3 years ago. Definitely money well spent. I had a dealer put it on for 50 bucks, to maintain the warranty. Car has been in for warranty service, even one major one, without any concerns.

It made the car actually feel like a 400+ horsepower car. The factory tune was awful. Rev hang, skipshift, torqueless off the bottom, etc.
What was you major claim about?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Read my sig and add in the data point that this et and mph was done on a full weight Premium car.

Additionally, this is a mild 91 octane tune. Dtagstrip maths say that the car is making 439 crank horse, thus, the gain for me far exceeded the advertised 16 horse for the tune.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Like some posters above, I'm not ready to lose my powertrain warranty so considering the pro cal.

Are any of you that are happy with it running an auto?

Thanks,

-SK
SK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

anyone know what happens if you want to add a boss intake later? does ford retune it?
deadpandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

yer fugged. It's a canned tune and that's it. You get nothing, you lose, good day sir!

Seriously, if you are contemplating future mods, pick a recognized major aftermarket tuner like Lund, AED or similar.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 05-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpandan View Post
anyone know what happens if you want to add a boss intake later? does ford retune it?
A Boss Intake requires an aftermarket tune.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #19
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Pro Cal

Had it installed last year, best time without it 12.9
Going to street nite at Quakercity wednesday, I'll let you know if times improve dramatically.
I also wanted to keep the warranty. I plan on taking it to Rousch, east coast performance in Richmond next spring and have him tune it.
I'm told he is the best when it comes to automatics and set points.
I just got a set of 245/35/18 drag radials and 2 bullitt anthricite rims, 18x9 to mount them on, but won't be running them until i see what improvements, if any, the procal makes.
Only other mod is a set of bmr lower control arms and bbk short tube headers.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #20
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You still lose your drivetrain warranty through Ford. It's picked up by Ford Racing. Two different companies.
This - I've seen a Ford dealer void a warranty over a GT500 Axleback before - They're very, very picky but the flipside is that every dealer is difference from the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_u_14 View Post
The service guy said i would still have full warranty. I want to keep warranty till i hit at least 30k
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
Get that in writing then
Definitely get this in writing!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

So as long as ford installs aftermarket tunes or parts we can keep warranty

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

?????

Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_u_14 View Post
so as long as ford installs aftermarket tunes or parts we can keep warranty

sent from my sm-n910p using mustang evolution mobile app

---------- post added at 11:57 am ---------- previous post was at 11:57 am ----------

?????

Sent from my sm-n910p using mustang evolution mobile app
it will always depend on your specific dealer.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So as long as ford installs aftermarket tunes or parts we can keep warranty?
No. A dealer is not going to install aftermarket parts or a tune so you can keep your warranty. Nor should they.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If you care about the warranty so much just don't modify the car! Otherwise you will cut so many corners and spend more money in the long run.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Drive mode vs Sport mode (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/maintenance/engine/selectshift-automatic-transmission.html

Sport Automatic (S)
After you shift into Sport mode and before you attempt to make a manual shift, SelectShift will provide performance-oriented automatic shifts for you. For example, when lifting off the accelerator pedal, the transmission may hold the gear for better performance and engine braking. And when braking on hilly roads, the transmission may downshift at higher speeds in order to provide better engine braking.

Sport Manual (S)
To enter Sport manual mode, simply press your vehicle’s button or paddle to upshift or downshift. This mode gives the driver extensive manual control. You can change gears up and down yourself by using the shift controls in your vehicle. The shift controls may be located on buttons on the shift lever or on paddles behind the steering wheel. Though you may change gears yourself, SelectShift does not have a clutch pedal like a fully manual transmission.
I installed the Pro Cal tune on my '14 auto. In the past I often drove with the car in (S) Sport Automatic mode, b/c I noticed it stayed in a lower gear longer, thus was ready to accelerate easier, and was just more fun.

I believe now with the Ford ProCal tune, the Sport (Auto) mode is even more aggressive and engine brakes a little when you let off the pedal vs. it not doing so the normal "D" mode.

I don't think any other aftermarket tunes affect the Sport mode. Now granted they program the "D" mode even more aggressive than Ford programs their "S" Sport mode.

But that's a nice advantage of the ProCal tune that you can leave it in (D) for putting around and getting a little better MPG. And then when you want to play a little put in in (S) Sport mode.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
No. A dealer is not going to install aftermarket parts or a tune so you can keep your warranty. Nor should they.
Some dealers do install Roush or Ford Racing parts, and will honor their warranties.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Pro cal tuner

If you plan on staying very stock - no midpipe, CAI, or throttle body change, I would go for the procal. For 13-14 models it is actually the track cal. It is the same thing except the procal is for 11-12 models and the track cal is for 13-14 models. You actually get a few more options if you have a 13-14 model including an option for a lope idle.

If you know you'll modify more in the future, don't waste the money on the procal and go with one of the top tuners such as Lund with an SCT.

Im about to throw a conservative 91 Lund tune in for my CAI and catless exhaust on a car with 65K miles. They, as well as other tuners, didn't become reputable and well known with poor tunes.

I thought long and hard between Lund and the procal. I went with the former due to the versatility I'll have with my SCT tuner and Lund in the future knowing full well that I'll continue to modify. The procal will only allow you change tires and gears (I believe) and only exhaust pipes after the midpipe. Other than that, your procal will be unable to facilitate further modifying.

The procal is very much set for a stock car and if you know for certain you will stay stock, then procal for the win.

As for warranty purposes, the heart and soul of our car - the 5.0 liter engine - is very stout from the factory. The block alone is capable of handling 900+ horsepower, although probably not for long - note that I said the BLOCK only. Before that, there seems to be a consensus that the stock long block can handle 575-650 horsepower before showing problems. Again many variables from maintenance to driving habits play into the longevity of these engines - which I know you want.
Mustang Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

IF you have a 13-14 MANUAL, then go for the track cal or even track key.

If you have an auto you have to go with the Pro Cal.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Warranty coverage on the PC is only for the duration of the factory basic warranty, 3/36. Whatever is left of that at the time of install is what you get. If your car is close to or out of that, you may wish to consider other options. I did this in the first month or so that I owned the car, and thus maximised the benefit. I am just at the end of the 3/36 recently, no harm done and the motor is in perfect condition.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #30
Site Sponsor

Quote:

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
it will always depend on your specific dealer.

^This - It's always going to depend on the dealer. Some will and some will not and this is due to them essentially sticking their necks out on the line - It's been said that some will install FRPP or Roush superchargers (They're close if not identical) and in the event that they're to cause a failure the dealer then absorbs the costs and they pay out of pocket (Warranty) Best bet again is to feel them out on certain parts or modifications to get the best idea of what they will and will not cover.
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
For anyone that is still reading this, just void the warranty. I switched from the procal to custom tune when I installed my cobra jet intake manifold, throttle body, and CAI. I don't regret it one bit. In any case, the factory tune is complete garbage.
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #32

I'd like to suggest that if you're concerned with keeping your warranty in force, you should read it.

I'm pretty sure it states that if you race your car, you've voided your warranty.

Therefore, if you want to race, get a more aggressive tune and forget about the warranty. If you want to keep your warranty, get the FRPP tune and stay out of races.

Pick one; I don't care which.

For myself, I got the FRPP tune installed at a Ford dealership and I don't race. The tune provides a nicer experience (over stock) for normal street driving, and that's good enough for me. (Your needs and experiences may differ.)

2013 Mustang GT base, auto, convertible, DIBM, FRPP ProCal tune M-9603-MGTB with an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in air filter 30-80179, Conceptual Polymer glass oil catch can CP04PA011D.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Pro cal tuner

Quote:

?????

Ford dealerships do not install the pro cal tuner. Ford does offer a certified Ford performance racing tech to install the pro cal tuner at authorized Ford dealerships. If you want to keep the 3 year 36 month factory warranty while using the pro cal tuner you need to find an authorized Ford Performance racing dealer and have them install the pro cal. I know this to be a fact because my father who owns a 2014 CS 5.0 just recently had his pro cal tuner uploaded and installed by the A Ford racing tech. He did this because Ford advised that was the only way for him to be guaranteed to keep the warranty. Must be installed by a Ford performance racing tech. There are far and few of these Ford racing techs around and not at every dealership.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
I'd like to suggest that if you're concerned with keeping your warranty in force, you should read it.

I'm pretty sure it states that if you race your car, you've voided your warranty.

Therefore, if you want to race, get a more aggressive tune and forget about the warranty. If you want to keep your warranty, get the FRPP tune and stay out of races.

Pick one; I don't care which.

For myself, I got the FRPP tune installed at a Ford dealership and I don't race. The tune provides a nicer experience (over stock) for normal street driving, and that's good enough for me. (Your needs and experiences may differ.)
I think this^ hits the nail on the head. The Procal/TrackCal make the car much more enjoyable in everyday driving. Part throttle will be much more "snappy" due to the increased timing and more aggressive drive by wire calibration. The procal tune does better with 93 octane if its available because it has so much low end timing and that is what causes some cars to ping.
Nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK GT View Post
Like some posters above, I'm not ready to lose my powertrain warranty so considering the pro cal.

Are any of you that are happy with it running an auto?

Thanks,

-SK
Don't listen to these guys. I really don't know why these members say **** and don't know what they are talking about. I am using ProCal tune on my 14 automatic and am very happy as my sig reflects. Call Steve at Ford techline 1 800 367 3788 he will assure you that you are still covered by warranty for engine and tranny.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT