Simple upgrades and Bolt Ons - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Simple upgrades and Bolt Ons

Hey Fellas,
I have had a 2012 Mustang GT for 2 years now and am wanting to start doing some bolt on upgrades and adding a little more power. If you guys had a budget of around 1500-2000 what would ya'll do first. This car is actually our family car (just had a new born and couldn't bring myself to sell the Stang) so I do want to be able to drive this car on the street as well as have fun on strip. Thanks for taking a look at my post!!!!
Ejohnson0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Axleback-500 Tune/intake combo- 600 Boss Intake - 600 1700 give or take and your in good shape
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
With the 300 left, do an offroad midpipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
litfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
axleback won't gain any power, I'd do a catback, midpipe, & cai/tune. If you going to do it, go ahead and get the catback and when you have more money later you can work on other stuff. If you get an axleback and then want to go 3" all the way, then you will have to take the axleback off and get a catback.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Catback, CAI w/tune, control arms.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Intake = wasted money

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
If this is your family car I wouldn't buy a tune or "CAI"! Many people have tunes and say they have never had a problem or issue. However, do a simple search on this forum or even a Google search of "Mustang tune problem".
Can you afford to have any issues like those on your family car?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Skip the intake.
utm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Most people go to forums b/c they have issues. Search anything and you'll find problems. Not many ppl own mustangs
One of my first and would be my most recommended 1st mod would be a CAI/tune. I went with Steeda and would tecommend them every time. Throttle response was great! Power was great! Mpg was better or the same. Stiffening up the rear would be next (or first) with springs, uca, lca, adj panhard bar. Will make using the new power more reliable/fun.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I agree with Beviking in that order.
Teak 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
A CAI is a waste of money. Just get the tune.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Cai and driveshaft combo!
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I can't argue with that as I got both at the same time but that hissing suction noise was worth $ to me. Plus the cone filter doesn't get packed with crap as fast as the pleated cereal box
Old 05-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I'm another one to say forget the CAI and just get a tune, as has been said before the CAI is a waste of $250/350. Just get a tuner and good tune. I assume you have an automatic and the tuner can help the automatic also.
Personally the appearance of the car would be next on my list since it's going to be a Family Truckster. Lowering the car and putting a nice set of wheels/tires and adjustable panhard bar. Depending on what wheels you have maybe just lower it, put LCA's, (relocation brackets), adjustable Panhard and maybe UCA. At least it would handle better around town and at the strip.
It's your car and your money...................
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #15

Thanks to everyone who replied!! I was actually looking at the CAI and Tune, but now reevaluating the CAI. I was thinking about going with a Bama tuner. Has anyone had problems with them?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
No such thing as a Bama tuner. You mean an SCT tuner with Bama's tunes on it. Better tuners out there.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm definitely in the same shape as you are, Ejohnson0788. I drive to work every day, sometimes in the snow. The weekends are full of errands with my wife and my little boy in the back in a car seat. Streetability is really important to me, as I'm sure it is to you, too.

My first mod was the shifter bracket. No shifter, only a new bracket with harder bushing. Really made a big difference with the enjoyment of the shifting action. If you've got an auto, don't worry about this one. ($50 on clearance)

Next, I got my windows tinted. It also made the car cooler in the summer for my little boy since at noon the sun beats right on his head. I stayed with the legal 18% in Illinois to avoid giving cops excuses to pull me over. Car looks great and is a functional mod. ($150 installed, lifetime warranty)

A few months later, I went for the X4 tuner, CAI with velocity stack and canned tune from Steeda. I opted for the 93 octane tune. This is probably the best thing I've done so far. Steeda parts are generally excellent in quality and finish. These are no exception. Throttle response, general power increase and intake noise (the good kind) are really incredible. It was a little more than I'm used to spending for a single mod, but worth it. ($550 on sale)

This caused a problem with traction on my stock wheels and Pirellis. Wheel hop was becoming annoying. I sprang for the Steeda billet lower control arms. They are also just beautiful pieces. Shiny and laser etched with the Steeda logo. They look sick peeking out in front of the axle. Anyone who knows about cars asks me about them. Traction really improved. ($220 on sale)

(Winter Break)

As soon as it warmed up, I made a slick grab on eBay for some gt500 takeoff mufflers. I also ordered the required rear valence for the quad tips. This was a bit more work than I expected, but I'm thrilled with the finish and sound. I researched a lot before going for new mufflers because I didn't want them to be too loud or have a crappy sound. These guys are underrated. They are loud enough at WOT and just sing with the windows open, cruising around town. (about $300 for mufflers, $250 for valence)

More ebay action let me grab a FRPP strut tower brace. I can't believe what a difference this thing made to the front of the car. It lets the suspension do what it is supposed to do and keeps the front of the car more in shape when going around a sharp corner. Potholes and driveway curbs are much less dramatic as well. ($100)

This is how I spent my first $1500. I don't think I could be happier. I wash it every nice weekend, keep the interior cleaned and polished, stay up to date with normal maintenance. It's still mostly stock, as you can see, but the changes I've made work together really well. All I've done is just throw out the weak links that the Ford bean-counters cheaped out on because they want to make as much money as possible. As a result, I've got a really, really fun car that people love to ride in and complement me on.
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
A few months later, I went for the X4 tuner, CAI with velocity stack and canned tune from Steeda. I opted for the 93 octane tune. This is probably the best thing I've done so far. Steeda parts are generally excellent in quality and finish. These are no exception. Throttle response, general power increase and intake noise (the good kind) are really incredible. It was a little more than I'm used to spending for a single mod, but worth it. ($550 on sale)
This is definitely a great add! Too go one step further, for more power, you could do this:

Steeda 2011-14 Boss Mustang Power Pack Manual Transmission 555-3939 - Free Shipping!

Product Benefits
Matched package including Cold Air, Boss Manifold, and correct custom tuning
Available for manual and automatic transmission vehicles
Intense top end horsepower without killing overall torque
Smooth, flat torque curve with smooth part throttle driveability
Peak gains in excess of 50 horsepower

Like offroadcameron indicated, once you add the power ... then you will need to start looking at the suspension.

We can put together a nice package, that includes suspension, power & improved drivability.

It just depends on what you want to do.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #19
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Talking Mods

Tune definitely, removes the pedal delay and improves low end torque.
I bought a BBK CAI and have removed it since, best time was with out it.
Lower control arms.
The one time I got the street tires to hook, I experienced wheel hop.
Have since added BMR lowers.
Mustang Tech at the dealer who installed the pro cal recommended against UCA, claimed ride quality really degraded.
Trusted his opinion as he drives 2013 Cobra.
Just order wheels to mount drag radials, may have them by the next time out but will probably wait to see what happens with current mods on 5/13 street night at Quaker City.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
This is definitely a great add! Too go one step further, for more power, you could do this:

Steeda 2011-14 Boss Mustang Power Pack Manual Transmission 555-3939 - Free Shipping!

Product Benefits
Matched package including Cold Air, Boss Manifold, and correct custom tuning
Available for manual and automatic transmission vehicles
Intense top end horsepower without killing overall torque
Smooth, flat torque curve with smooth part throttle driveability
Peak gains in excess of 50 horsepower

Like offroadcameron indicated, once you add the power ... then you will need to start looking at the suspension.

We can put together a nice package, that includes suspension, power & improved drivability.

It just depends on what you want to do.

Best Regards,

TJ
In my experience, TJ won't steer you wrong
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #21

Thanks for all the tips and advice on mods. I think I am going to go with cat back exhaust and a tuner. My brother recently bought a truck that came with a sct 3015 that he doesn't want any longer. I can pick this tuner up for about $100. I know there was a critical firmware update awhile back for the tuners sn's that start with xp, but that seems like an easy fix? Would you guys jump on this deal or leave it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT