Advance Trac question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Advance Trac question

I have a brembo GT. When you click the traction off button twice sport mode turns on which is great I love how it tightens up the steering and let's you get some wheel spin while still having control. When you hold the button for 5 seconds the whole system turns off. Realistically what's the actual difference between just clicking it once and turning the traction off and holding it for the 5 seconds. I've tried both while messing around and can't tell a difference.

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Eric5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Everything is explained in your owners manual.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Bought it used no manual was included.

2013 Sterling Grey GT/Brembo package/SR Performance lowering springs/J&M adjustable panhard bar/Roush axle back/AEM CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5oh View Post
Bought it used no manual was included.

Here it is!
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../13musom3e.pdf
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
sport mode puts the traction control off but leaves the stability control on and when you hold for 10 seconds it turns everything but abs off completely
rwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
sport mode puts the traction control off but leaves the stability control on and when you hold for 10 seconds it turns everything but abs off completely

That's kinda my question maybe I didn't state it correctly. What's the point of turning the system completely off instead of just turning off traction. Is there any benefit from just turning off traction control or is there more from turning the whole system off?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Advance Trac question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post

Thanks for finding that for me. No sarcasm intended but I'll scroll through the 30 page table of contents to find the specific page later lol

Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's kinda my question maybe I didn't state it correctly. What's the point of turning the system completely off instead of just turning off traction. Is there any benefit from just turning off traction control or is there more from turning the whole system off?

if im at the autocross or track i need everything off, or the stability control will start interfering. i even turn it completely off sometimes for mtn rd driving, its not very fun when the system applies the brakes to one wheel mid corner. for most drivers sport mode is fine for anything on the street
rwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
if im at the autocross or track i need everything off, or the stability control will start interfering. i even turn it completely off sometimes for mtn rd driving, its not very fun when the system applies the brakes to one wheel mid corner. for most drivers sport mode is fine for anything on the street

I understand maybe that's why I've never needed to turn it completely off. I don't auto-x but I can see how that would interfere. I love sport mode for the road it really let's you get loose while still have control 😆 thanks

Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Stability control is basically oversteer management. Traction control is straight line blowoff management.

At the dragstrip the TC can be intrusive but SC rarely is. I have a kill switch wired in the check circuit for all the nannies. I just flip that and everything is off, for good and all. It will set and intrument panel cluster signal loss code but, I can clear that easily in multiple ways.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Stability control is basically oversteer management. Traction control is straight line blowoff management.

At the dragstrip the TC can be intrusive but SC rarely is. I have a kill switch wired in the check circuit for all the nannies. I just flip that and everything is off, for good and all. It will set and intrument panel cluster signal loss code but, I can clear that easily in multiple ways.

I see. First time at the strip I messed up so bad because of forgetting about traction off and sport 😂

Old 05-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So for straight line amazingness you just want TC off and Advance Trac can stay on then?

Only ask since I am always so uses to turning everything off haha. I don't track the car so some Stability management is OK on the street but I don't want traction control robbing me of juice. I can control that with my feet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamatic View Post
So for straight line amazingness you just want TC off and Advance Trac can stay on then?

Only ask since I am always so uses to turning everything off haha. I don't track the car so some Stability management is OK on the street but I don't want traction control robbing me of juice. I can control that with my feet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I use sport mode in every situation besides doing a burnout

Old 05-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

http://youtu.be/xGztXdsVGdU

This is a launch I would do at the strip in "sport mode"

Old 05-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I drag race and all you need off is the traction control. With it on you can't even do a burnout.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Stability control can interfere without you realizing it, as can TC. It only throws a light on if the particular incident it is seeking to control exceeds a certain duration OR severity. It can still be working away, unheralded. That's why these cars tend to chew through rear brake pads so fast.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 05-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
I drag race and all you need off is the traction control. With it on you can't even do a burnout.
For a burnout id shut the traction off but at the track i'd leave the traction on...? Unless im missing something
Old 05-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You are. You want all nannies off at the strip. You want full control and maximum input. Obviously, I run slicks so, I wouldn't trigger traction control anyway, even if I left it on but, as I said, these systems can subtly activate without your knowledge.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdarkgt12 View Post
For a burnout id shut the traction off but at the track i'd leave the traction on...? Unless im missing something

You could use sport mode lol

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote:
You are. You want all nannies off at the strip. You want full control and maximum input. Obviously, I run slicks so, I wouldn't trigger traction control anyway, even if I left it on but, as I said, these systems can subtly activate without your knowledge.

Do you know if some cars don't come with the sport mode option?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

All the nannies are standard....
Old 05-04-2015, 05:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Stability control can interfere without you realizing it, as can TC. It only throws a light on if the particular incident it is seeking to control exceeds a certain duration OR severity. It can still be working away, unheralded. That's why these cars tend to chew through rear brake pads so fast.
It is not just pads that can become an issue, but your pad and fluid temp. Advance Trac is not very competent, and it will cause brake fade and then failure due to heat buildup under hard driving. The safe bet is to disable it, and check every so often to ensure that it has not decided to reactivate itself.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:10 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could use sport mode lol

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Do you know if some cars don't come with the sport mode option?

Only the brembo and track pack cars come with sport mode. All mustangs can fully disable advance trac though, and the car is significantly quicker with it off...

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
Only the brembo and track pack cars come with sport mode. All mustangs can fully disable advance trac though, and the car is significantly quicker with it off...
Not true. I have a GT Premium, no track pack or Brembo's, and have sport mode TC.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
GT Premium here as well and I also have Sport Mode.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty sure it's standard across the range. bbp and tp cars get more aggressive calibration but the system is standard.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pretty sure it's standard across the range. bbp and tp cars get more aggressive calibration but the system is standard.

Interesting I thought the Brembo cars had something unique to their advance trac system but wasn't sure.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what I thought. Only Brembo and trac pack cars but I guess not

Old 05-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Not true. I have a GT Premium, no track pack or Brembo's, and have sport mode TC.
Good to know, three of the GTs I instructed in had sport mode, two did not. Was it that those two were 2011s?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I found out the use of "partial off" and "all off" when I was destroying my last set of tires. The damn car would not figure 8, just kept cutting out.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #30

Quote:

I have a GT base model and it has sport mode as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
m3infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
SUMMARY:

Traction Contol - on = prevents wheels spin.
Traction Control - off = allows wheels spin, burn outs, or for snow.

You can turn off Traction Control just by pushing the button. (AdvanceTrac stays on)

AdvanceTrac - (stability control)
On - helps prevents oversteer, "fish tailing"
Off - allows oversteer, drifting, power oversteer.

You can turn off both by holding down for 5 seconds while pressing the brake. This disables BOTH AdvanceTrac & Traction Control

SportMode - double tap the TractionControl button, while press the Brake. This will lower the intervention threshold for AdvanceTrac, and allow you to fishtail / oversteer a little.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Well said. I love sport because it's in the middle of both

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT