Supercharger on stock 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Supercharger on stock 5.0

Hello all, is it a smart move to supercharge a stock 2011 5.0 ? I'm looking at engine mods: cams,heads,intake and the cost of n/a vs supercharger is about the same. I've got headers,high flow catted h-pipe,cat back flowmasters, 90mm throttle body,CnL CAI, bama tunes and some rear suspension parts. Thanks for the info. rr n sc
caliconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliconv View Post
Hello all, is it a smart move to supercharge a stock 2011 5.0 ? I'm looking at engine mods: cams,heads,intake and the cost of n/a vs supercharger is about the same. I've got headers,high flow catted h-pipe,cat back flowmasters, 90mm throttle body,CnL CAI, bama tunes and some rear suspension parts. Thanks for the info. rr n sc

So your car isn't stock lol

Yeah it's a more effective way to increase HP vs NA. You may want to swap to a CJ or Boss manifold so you can rev higher.

Also with the added power I'd do the suspension first. You won't hook up worth a damn without some suspension mods.

If you swap to DRs then you may want to look into a one piece DS and possibly clutch soon after.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Do suspension first. Making 580 whp range is frustrating when you can't put 60% of it to the ground. Ask me how I know lol.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
There are quite a few guys on this forum that have boosted motors and I'm sure they will give you their views. Personally I'd tear the motor down and replace pistons/rods/rings/bearings before I'd boost a Coyote. I've boosted a couple of motors and the 4.6lDOHC broke (piston lost ring lands) at 13lbs.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I would boost it. you can run low boost and still make great power and be in the safe zone without having to worry about your engine. Depends on how much your target power is. If you are up in the 700s+ to the wheels, then you want to build your engine first. All about how much power you want and money you have lol. but suspension is important like others have said.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I went with the Roush SC, but like others said do some suspension things first, and a set of drag radials makes it a lot of fun.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jaysonsyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I just got this in an email today and although they are talking about building a Boss302 track motor, 600 RWHP NA is pretty impressive..............a good read. Then take a look at the cut-a-way of the new 5.2l GT350 motor.

Livernois Motorsports Builds 600-RWHP NA Coyote For Road Racing
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I got to get the suspension set up right before I supercharge. I'm looking at the roush 2300 575 hp it's got a 3/36000 warranty and I can install it later, rr n SC
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonsyl View Post
I went with the Roush SC, but like others said do some suspension things first, and a set of drag radials makes it a lot of fun.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info. I've got to finish up the suspension before any more power mods. I'm looking at the roush 2300 575 hp supercharger, I can install it and save some bucks. Why do you recommend a 1 piece d/s? rr n sc
Old 05-06-2015, 02:48 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Unless you have to have a warranty, the VMP is a better deal. Aluminum (or carbon fiber) drive shafts are lighter and stronger than oem. They are about half the weight, and reduce the rotating mass, increasing acceleration. You don't need one, you want one.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
^^ Driveshaft will not have much of an effect on rotational mass. You have an extremely small diameter tube which is extremely long. For the greatest effect at reducing rotational mass you need to look for parts with the largest diameter and the shortest length, like a flywheel, where the weight is not distributed across a length, but focused through a solid piece with a large diameter. A hollow driveshaft that weighs 20 pounds less will have its greatest effect at reducing the vehicle's overall weight, not rotational mass. DS is usually the last area when considering rotational force, a lighter set of rims will do more to get your car moving than a DS will. It is, however, one of the first areas where we can increase strength in the driveline. With better materials and fewer joints, we can create a DS that can handle angular and rotational forces much more adequately before breaking point than stock.

OP: Definitely go for suspension, tires, driveshaft and start picking out clutches. Close to 600hp your stock won't last very long if you beat on it. The Roush is a great supercharger that looks, sounds and works amazingly. You will not be disappointed.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I opted for the Roush575 kit, installed for the warranty. Already had suspension and Alum ds. Pretty sweet set up. My biggest complaint, and maybe it was from hearing how "instant" the boost is and my own interpretation of instant 575hp, was the lag before power kicked in. Push the clutch in, blip the throttle a couple times to wind up the SC and yeah, it went. Cruising at 2k and stomp the peddle...not my idea of "instant" power. Luckily, once the warranty wears out, or you decide, there are plenty of tuners that will write you a simple tune to liven it up. I hear Brenspeeds 626 tune is pretty sweet
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Dallas, yeah I guess it's not lol. I should have been more clear, my question was about the guts of my 5.0. I had good intentions but it just didn't happen. I've read posts about boosted stock engines failing at <600 hp. I'm looking at a Roush 2300 supercharger, I can install it and save a few bucks. Couple of questions: if I run drag radials why should I go to a 1 piece drive shaft? What suspension mods do you recommend? All I've got is a rear shock tower brace. Also, I have a automatic. Thanks, Dallas
Old 05-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info, you must have an engineering background. You gave some excellent advice and I'm going to work on the suspension first..
Old 05-07-2015, 06:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Dallas, yeah I guess it's not lol. I should have been more clear, my question was about the guts of my 5.0. I had good intentions but it just didn't happen. I've read posts about boosted stock engines failing at <600 hp. I'm looking at a Roush 2300 supercharger, I can install it and save a few bucks. Couple of questions: if I run drag radials why should I go to a 1 piece drive shaft? What suspension mods do you recommend? All I've got is a rear shock tower brace. Also, I have a automatic. Thanks, Dallas

Lol yeah I get you. Some people consider full intake, exhaust, tune and drop still stock because it's not a super HP booster lol.

DRs has some harsh grip on launch and can snap the stock DS at the joint. But if you go one piece make sure you add a UCA to adjust the pinion angle. If not you can look forward to swapping out that rear end before too long lol

Depends on what you want your car to do. Are you a dragster or an autox guy? Is it a DD? Or a show queen?

If you're a dragster the leaving the suspension mostly stock height will be just fine as long as you swap out the shocks to help modulate the bouncing and squat. Last you want is to have a little bounce in the road and cause the car to float off to the side because of the soft springs and shocks. Then I'd swap out the upper and lower control arms for nonadjustables with poly bushings just to tighten things up. You might do a UCA bracket but the LCA bracket shouldn't be needed if you have stock springs.

If you do a one piece DS then an adjustable UCA is recommended.

If you lower the car then you will need to add a LCA relocation bracket. Don't forget the adjustable panhard bar. A much better alternative to the panhard bar is the watts link which costs about 5-7x more lol.

This should set you back a pretty penny. Lol

Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the info, you must have an engineering background. You gave some excellent advice and I'm going to work on the suspension first..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1430997474.885316.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	182063

Here's Mia on a Sportline Koni yellow drop. She sits low but I haven't had much trouble with scraps and bumps. She's not the most comfortable ride but if I want a comfortable ride I got my '15 F150 screw that has more poshness than some Lexuses lol

I think... I think I love my truck more than my mustang these days 😝

Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
My application is street only ... I have a GT automatic with the Roush phase 2 kit and supplied Roush tune. Good daily driver manners on 91 octane and the shift schedule & firmness is spot on. My geographical location is the Mojave desert and the GT500 fan has helped keep things a bit cooler, especially the AC:

2005-2014 MUSTANG PERFORMANCE COOLING FAN | Part Details for M-8C607-MSVT* | Ford Performance Racing Parts
Old 05-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Dallasstang77, Mercy!!! I guess that destin beach trip is going bye,bye. Thanks for the info. I had about half of the cash to boost or build but the suspension work will take a lot of that soooo.... I'm a dd and occasional drag strip junkie, Thursday's night at Greer dragway are for the rookies and idiots( motorcycle ninjas) they call it grudge night. I had a new 'vette really piss me off and I'm gonna do something about it. You only live once and I plan on leaving this earth the way I came in....naked and broke!!!! I didn't know it would be a mustang that would do it, I figured it would be women. Lol. Later, rr n sc
Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Dallasstang77, Mercy!!! I guess that destin beach trip is going bye,bye. Thanks for the info. I had about half of the cash to boost or build but the suspension work will take a lot of that soooo.... I'm a dd and occasional drag strip junkie, Thursday's night at Greer dragway are for the rookies and idiots( motorcycle ninjas) they call it grudge night. I had a new 'vette really piss me off and I'm gonna do something about it. You only live once and I plan on leaving this earth the way I came in....naked and broke!!!! I didn't know it would be a mustang that would do it, I figured it would be women. Lol. Later, rr n sc
At least with the mustang you'll be broke and happy. Chances are a women will leave you broke, po'd and alone...if you're lucky
Old 05-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
At least with the mustang you'll be broke and happy. Chances are a women will leave you broke, po'd and alone...if you're lucky

Or you find out you're stuck with alimony and she owns half of every you own and a chunk of all your foreseeable paychecks....

Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Or you find out you're stuck with alimony and she owns half of every you own and a chunk of all your foreseeable paychecks....

Exactly! Alone if ur lucky
Old 05-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I have all stock internals in my 5.0. Full suspension- koni adjustable yellow shocks, bmr uca with mounting bracket, bmr LCAS with relocation brackets, bmr pan hard bar, nt555r drag radials. Koni yellow adjustable struts with gt500 strut mounts. It wouldn't hook for **** before I added the new shocks. Now i know
Exactly what gonna happen. That being said, I'm running the VMP stage 2 tvs with 47lb injectors, jlt cold air, vmp email tune( dyno tune scheduled for june28 at 9:30 with Justin Starkey of vmp). It's very good on the street. Drive ability is just like it was stock but +about 200 more whp or more. We will find out in June what she makes, I'm adding a boost-a-pump shooting for 630-640whp on 93. I recommend the kit to anyone I talk to. It really just depends on your goals honestly. I love the torque mine makes, I can pull Paxton cars making close to the same power I'm making because of the power curve.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
I have all stock internals in my 5.0. Full suspension- koni adjustable yellow shocks, bmr uca with mounting bracket, bmr LCAS with relocation brackets, bmr pan hard bar, nt555r drag radials. Koni yellow adjustable struts with gt500 strut mounts. It wouldn't hook for **** before I added the new shocks. Now i know
Exactly what gonna happen. That being said, I'm running the VMP stage 2 tvs with 47lb injectors, jlt cold air, vmp email tune( dyno tune scheduled for june28 at 9:30 with Justin Starkey of vmp). It's very good on the street. Drive ability is just like it was stock but +about 200 more whp or more. We will find out in June what she makes, I'm adding a boost-a-pump shooting for 630-640whp on 93. I recommend the kit to anyone I talk to. It really just depends on your goals honestly. I love the torque mine makes, I can pull Paxton cars making close to the same power I'm making because of the power curve.

And centris don't make very good torque either.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
And centris don't make very good torque either.

Exactly. That's why I think I beat him, that or the fact that mine makes the power quicker, or I'm making more than 606whp/474tq is what he made. Also pulled a 596/621 Shelby.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Have you looked at the new 2.9 whipple. That's what we put on our shop 2015 car and a slew of 11-14 customers of ours. Any of the 3, whipple, roush or VMP will put a smile on your face. Thing with the whipple, it will make 600 without breaking a sweat which, in turn, will help keep IAT's down.

Give me a shout if you have any questions. We've installed and ran them all.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post

Amen brother!!!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
m3infinity is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT