Shifter Install. Dealership or Third Party - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Shifter Install. Dealership or Third Party

What do you guys/gals say to having the Ford guys install a short throw over having a another shop do it at a better price?

Hope I don't get beat up for this one. I think I know the answer but I want some input. I have an MGW coming soon and I'm debating on how to go about it. I honestly don't have the know how, nor the time to get into this sort of thing. A local company is charging about half of what the dealership wants so I'm curious if there's any reason that a common component replacement like this couldn't be done by just anyone.

I understand you get what you pay for but I just want some opinions on whether it's worth the extra cash.

Thanks in advance.
RobGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGT14 View Post
What do you guys/gals say to having the Ford guys install a short throw over having a another shop do it at a better price?

Hope I don't get beat up for this one. I think I know the answer but I want some input. I have an MGW coming soon and I'm debating on how to go about it. I honestly don't have the know how, nor the time to get into this sort of thing. A local company is charging about half of what the dealership wants so I'm curious if there's any reason that a common component replacement like this couldn't be done by just anyone.

I understand you get what you pay for but I just want some opinions on whether it's worth the extra cash.

Thanks in advance.
I installed my mgw by myself. If you watch their videos on YouTube you'll realize how straight forward the process is. I'd say DIY, or get a shop to do it and save your money.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I understand wanting to have someone else install it. However, the issue I see with this is that there are no written instructions but rather an install video explained by George at MGW. I installed it and while some aspects of the install are self explanatory other parts such as setting the reverse lockout are not. Unless the video is watched this would be missed. The best thing is to have the installer watch the video (not sure how this would work with a dealer). Or perhaps you could take it to MGW depending on how far you live and they will install it for free.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Any shop should be able to install no problem if you can't find the time. I would recommend finding time as it is pretty easy and straight forwards
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads245 View Post
I understand wanting to have someone else install it. However, the issue I see with this is that there are no written instructions but rather an install video explained by George at MGW. I installed it and while some aspects of the install are self explanatory other parts such as setting the reverse lockout are not. Unless the video is watched this would be missed. The best thing is to have the installer watch the video (not sure how this would work with a dealer). Or perhaps you could take it to MGW depending on how far you live and they will install it for free.

Mgw has a reverse lockout video and have recently incorporated it into their how to. They explain it very well. I had no issues and setting the lockout took maybe 5mins.

Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 05-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
Mgw has a reverse lockout video and have recently incorporated it into their how to. They explain it very well. I had no issues and setting the lockout took maybe 5mins.

This is what I am saying. Without the video (which a third party probably wouldn't watch) things like this would be missed.

ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback y'all. I feel the same way about certain aspects being missed, hence my caution. I may go ahead and try to find some help and make time to do this one myself.

Is it possible to do without a lift?
Old 05-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback y'all. I feel the same way about certain aspects being missed, hence my caution. I may go ahead and try to find some help and make time to do this one myself.

Is it possible to do without a lift?
All I did was jack up the driver side.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
All I did was jack up the driver side.
Well, I guess I'm over thinking this one. I'm gonna give the video another look and plan to go at it myself.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm over thinking this one. I'm gonna give the video another look and plan to go at it myself.
And a spare set of hands would be helpful
Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

good decision man!!!! the install really isn't that bad, and you can't beat the feeling of the satisfaction you'll get from doing the install yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And a spare set of hands would be helpful
YUP. Already texted a buddy that has experience. Should be good.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
good decision man!!!! the install really isn't that bad, and you can't beat the feeling of the satisfaction you'll get from doing the install yourself

Thanks. I completely agree. From the minor things I have fixed/replaced/installed in the past, yea, that's a great feeling. Looking forward to it.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Thanks for all the responses/advice y'all. This site is awesome and you guys rock!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

One thing to watch though (i have an 05 gt so it is a littler different) is making sure the shifter is orientated properly. Mine is over to the left too much so when I shift into first or second it the shifter boot runs on the plastic retainer thing. Not sure how it happened though.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One thing to watch though (i have an 05 gt so it is a littler different) is making sure the shifter is orientated properly. Mine is over to the left too much so when I shift into first or second it the shifter boot runs on the plastic retainer thing. Not sure how it happened though.
Right. Something I read or watched a while back when I was still shopping around was that positioning and placement is very important. I'll be taking my time on this one for sure. Appreciate the tip man.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

there is no adjustment for that, the only adjustment is for the reverse lockout, there simply is no way to have the shifter offset too much to one side.........

Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
there is no adjustment for that, the only adjustment is for the reverse lockout, there simply is no way to have the shifter offset too much to one side.........

As I said I have an 05 so it is different, not sure what happened but I feel as though it is too far to the left somehow
Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It is really a straight forward install. You just need to be able to get under the car and work. I have a friend with a lift in his garage. Took me two hours to install. Shoul have been less but the rubber dust boot took me a while. Its exactly like the video. I watched it like a bed time story about 3 times waiting for my shifter.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Justin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Lockout is best set when IN 1/2 bias. No guesswork on how much you need to turn it out. Dial it so it touches, move back 1/2 turn and done. If its touching you won't get in 2nd under a load as you pull back. If its too far out you will be past the gate. Dial it in while in the gate is best keeping in mind deflection with race spec vs standard MGW. There's no need to walk it back and forth in gear to set your lockout. Just keep it in 1st or 2nd. Never missed a 1-2 pull yet. The video is good, but not the ideal method.

As you let your shifter rest in 1st the spring is pushing against the bias, which is why we pull back a half turn when in gear to give us room. I've done 4 like this and every time its dead on perfect and smooth even at WOT 7k+.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on watching video and having a friend help...it's straightforward install. See what you think after watching video but it's not rocket science nor does it take a real skill set besides "lefty loosey/righty tighty

Remember to buy lunch afterwards.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #21
Registered Member

Region: California
If your car is under warranty it might be better to have the dealer do it. If something goes wrong with the tranny and they see the MGW in there they might disallow the warranty no matter how well it was installed. That why I have my mods done by the dealer. If they see the aftermarket part, my reply would be "well, you did it." Just my thought on the matter.
47297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14BlackGT View Post
If your car is under warranty it might be better to have the dealer do it. If something goes wrong with the tranny and they see the MGW in there they might disallow the warranty no matter how well it was installed. That why I have my mods done by the dealer. If they see the aftermarket part, my reply would be "well, you did it." Just my thought on the matter.
I don't think he needs to worry. The worst that could happen is the bolt connecting the shifter arm to the pivot cup / linkage coming out. All that would do is not let you shift gears. This shifter can't cause things on the car to break. If anything does it will be user error which isn't covered under warranty anyway. Plus if you bring parts to a dealer they will put them on but not warranty the labor, so its no different than if he, or another shop did the work.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 05-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Thinking about getting one but man $470.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post

It is completely worth every penny. I was iffy about the price as well, but when I got the parts in hand all doubt was removed.

Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
It is completely worth every penny. I was iffy about the price as well, but when I got the parts in hand all doubt was removed.

Hmm. I might take the plunge.

Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post

as said above, it is worth every single penny!!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I scored mine used from someone that upgraded his tranny to a Tremac. I will say these are rarely for sale used which says a lot about peoples satisfaction. Expensive but fairly priced for what you get. I was originally unimpressed with mine (never had issues with my OEM) but after driving a friends car with the OEM after getting used to the MGW I was appaled how floppy the oem shifter was....go for it!
Old 05-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Shifter Install. Dealership or Third Party

If you had a choice to either have a dealership do it or some random squirrel to do it, get the squirrel to do it.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone here upgraded to mgw from like a ford racing. If so is worth it Thanks in advance for any input. And I say install your self if you any type on mechanical aptitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rrharley91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrharley91 View Post
Has anyone here upgraded to mgw from like a ford racing. If so is worth it Thanks in advance for any input. And I say install your self if you any type on mechanical aptitude.

Also on referring to mgw race spec. Thanks again

Old 05-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrharley91 View Post

I went from a Barton (they make the Ford Racing shifter) to the race spec, the Barton offers solid shifts but it is more mechanical, not as smooth and seamless as the MGW race spec. glad I made the change

Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I think I'll start looking for a deal on one.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Yea im thinking about getting the MGW as well. I got a Grind when i shift 2nd to 3rd fast or at a high RPM(shifts fine when shifting normal or not shifting quick). Someone mentioned that the MGW would take car of that
Jstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT