Trade auto for manual - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #36
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
I don't need to own one to know it's junk. U made one clean pass, congrats. Just a matter of time before the issues start. They're not simply Internet stories. They're real scenarios where the junks have failed. I have 2 friends that work at 2 different Ford dealerships and trust me... They're weak junk. Won't last. Enjoy it while you can. I can also start counting off how many m6 cars I've drug down the 1320 and over half of them had issues getting Into usually third gear....with the shifter and bushing mods. Every one of them said they wished they'd bought an a6. Those aren't Internet stories but real life. Hope you have good luck with yours and a few ppl do get lucky. Either way you wanna spin it, the a6 is an all around better more durable trans the the mt82. Believe me if it was a good trans I'd have gotten one too.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Wasn't a "pass" just fun driving which is why people buy a manual trans.

I will never wish I had a auto. If I were to break mine (and apparently that's going to happen and my shifts are numbered) I would just rebuild it, replace it, or upgrade to a different one.

This is not a "what's better" thread, or a "what's faster", simply a should I trade because... And to say it's junk is out of line. Everything and anything can break dude.

If you want to go down that road of saying its "junk" be prepared to have actual accounts that are because the trans is junk and not the driver.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just stating fact from personal experience.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Wait wait wait. I've got a solution to this. It's some mind blowing $h!t. Get ready. Here it comes.
Upgrade to a better transmission weather it's an auto or manual...
Mind officially blown.

Adventure till you drop

Exactly. All factory stuff is prone to explode when used like Pamela Anderson.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
And I thought most of the mt problems were involved in the actual shifter?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
And I thought most of the mt problems were involved in the actual shifter?

They are. The stock shifter is garbage. I have yet to hear of an actual owner who came on here and said I broke my MT-82 specifically in "xyz" because it was made like crap. If you kept the factory shifter and dog on it it's going to lose syncros and grind gears and eventually take a dump like anything else.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
They are. The stock shifter is garbage. I have yet to hear of an actual owner who came on here and said I broke my MT-82 specifically in "xyz" because it was made like crap. If you kept the factory shifter and dog on it it's going to lose syncros and grind gears and eventually take a dump like anything else.

IG @Oxford5pointoh

Exactly.
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I agree they're junk when they're actually tracked. Driving around spirited, you may be fine, but going out and hitting the strip, there are a ton of people having them **** the bed. I hate that ford even had them manufactured in China but that doesn't matter. I would do a straight trade for an auto. I will agree manuals are more fun always.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:10 AM   #42
Registered Member

Region: California
Manual. Thats my excuse and I'm stickin to it. <<lol>>
47297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #43

Region: Alaska
This getting good now

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 AM   #44

Region: Alaska
I have nothing against an automatic it still a good looking pony but man when you just cruising along with traffic in 3rd or 4th gear hand on shifter you know it just matter of time that pony gonna want to go and when you go the steering wheel holder in that auto gets an earful he gonna just let you go

wbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:20 AM   #45
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Think carefully...you're contemplating trading for a car with a year more depreciation on it. Not smart.

You, on the other hand, have the the less desirable (from a resale standpoint) auto trans. The autos are solid and have very few failure modes, like most automatic transmissions. Manual trans always have more failure modes, as you factor in the imperfect operation by the driver.

There may be rules where you are that prevent this from being a straight across, no tax, trade. Research before you try this.

If the '13 car has lived this long without problems there is likely nothing wrong with the MT.
You might want to check your facts/figures on the automatic being "less desirable (from a resale standpoint) over a manual transmission; its incorrect. While there are less manual transmission equipped Mustangs built, it does not give them a higher resale. There are simply more automatic transmission drivers out there that this type of car will sell to.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Lol. I will run any n/a manual coyote on street tires (in Mexico) best 3 out of 4 from a dig. If losing is so much "more fun" then help yourself. . What I run at the track is pretty much what I run in Mexico.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5inco View Post
His has about 20k or less mine just hit 16k. Mine is stock exept for exhaust. He has a few mods, i really dont care about the year difference, insurance i doubt its going to be a big difference. I had a 02 gt with manual and i really liked it, also in my opinion exhaust sounds better with manual when shifting but thats just me. Im still thinking about it.
He is getting 3 things better:

1. Lower miles: 16k vs 20k + worth $300 ?
2. newer Model Year: 2014 vs 2013 + worth $1k+
3. an $1,195.00 option (automatic transmission) + worth $1k

Technically, I'd say your car is worth at least $2k more. Though to confirm you could look up KBB prices and compare. But since he's your brother-in-law and presumably friend, maybe ask for $500 + trade with him paying all the TTL.

Now #3 was based on assuming the cars were otherwise equal (similarly equipped and your sticker was about $1,200 more b/c of Auto), but he might actually have more options bringing value up.

Look up both VINs, just to compare stock equipment / sticker prices.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

^ that might all be true but if he were to go to a dealer to do the same deal he would pay money. So it's just got to be because he would rather have the other car.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #49
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Trade immediately since it seems you have f**d your car!

Did a burn out.

poor impulse control
Old 05-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Lol. I will run any n/a manual coyote on street tires (in Mexico) best 3 out of 4 from a dig. If losing is so much "more fun" then help yourself. . What I run at the track is pretty much what I run in Mexico.

Mullet racing isn't the only racing however. Different strokes different folks

Just_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Exactly. Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I wouldn't trade but I prefer the automatic plus I have a bad left knee that doesn't stand up to a lot of clutch action. My fiancee has a 07 GT with the five speed manual and while I like driving it ok, I don't love it.

I also don't get the statement that a lot of people with manual equipped cars say about feeling more connected to their car. I have never felt that way when driving any manual equipped vehicle. To me it feels more like a hassle than fun. Each to his own though.

Wayne
Old 05-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Keep your auto why would you want to trade?

Black 2008 Decepticon GT "If it ain't hooking, it ain't booking" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I
I also don't get the statement that a lot of people with manual equipped cars say about feeling more connected to their car. I have never felt that way when driving any manual equipped vehicle. To me it feels more like a hassle than fun. Each to his own though.

Wayne

For me, it comes down to the downshift. Ability to be in the proper gear going into a corner so I can exit said corner is everything. However if I was into drag racing, is go auto. But I couldn't imagine doing road course with an auto trans

Old 05-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
trade for 2 weeks then decide...

Trade for two weeks. Go to the drag strip and see if and how much you're slower.

Then goto the autox track and see how much more fun.

Then find a twisty mountain road and see if the manual is what you prefer.

Then just relax and just cruise with the windows down and "be one" with the car and see if a manual is your cup of tea.

Personally I can live with not being as fast on the strip. Don't need to be the fastest at the autox. But that twisty road and being one with the car is what I can't live without. That's why I bought a manual. And it's been pretty reliable since. Three years and 51k later.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Greg View Post
For me, it comes down to the downshift. Ability to be in the proper gear going into a corner so I can exit said corner is everything. However if I was into drag racing, is go auto. But I couldn't imagine doing road course with an auto trans
rephrase that to "with a Ford auto trans".

I've driven some nice cars on a race track with the Extreme Driving Experiences, and their autos were so smart and intuitive you would never miss your manual. (Audi R8, Nissan GTR, Lambo Gallardo) They know what gear you need to be in, even better & faster than you do.

So after driving a few Porsches and the above exotics, I thought I wouldn't miss my manual, but sadly this Ford automatic transmission isn't really smart enough. Its not remotely in the same class as those other auto transmissions, which I believe all of them were double clutches too, which really makes the shifts fast & smooth.

I got the auto this time around so my wife could drive the car too. But I won't buy another "dumb" automatic like this one. My next car will be either manual or a "smart" preferably double clutch automatic.

P.S. 5inco, do you drive your car in "S" Sport mode and just leave it in full Auto (don't start hitting up & down buttons)? I've found it a lot more enjoyable than the regular "D" mode.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
rephrase that to "with a Ford auto trans".

I've driven some nice cars on a race track with the Extreme Driving Experiences, and their autos were so smart and intuitive you would never miss your manual. (Audi R8, Nissan GTR, Lambo Gallardo) They know what gear you need to be in, even better & faster than you do.

So after driving a few Porsches and the above exotics, I thought I wouldn't miss my manual, but sadly this Ford automatic transmission isn't really smart enough. Its not remotely in the same class as those other auto transmissions, which I believe all of them were double clutches too, which really makes the shifts fast & smooth.

I got the auto this time around so my wife could drive the car too. But I won't buy another "dumb" automatic like this one. My next car will be either manual or a "smart" preferably double clutch automatic.

P.S. Do you drive your car in "S" Sport mode and just leave it in full Auto (don't start hitting up & down buttons)? I've found it a lot more enjoyable than the regular "D" mode.

Standard trans right here

And you are very right. With what you said. I have heard nice things about the 2015 auto trans...

Those smart auto trans cost money big money. Doubt the 2015 auto is that smart lol

Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Trade auto for manual

Sorry double post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT