Trade auto for manual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Trade auto for manual

I have a 2014 gt auto. My brother in law has a 2013 same color similar conditions manual. We talked about trading our cars, would it be a good decision? Ive read alot of bad things about the manual tranny.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
5inco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Trade auto for manual

The 13'/14' were improved over the 11'/12'...But, the bad experience I had with my 2011 still forced me to buy the auto in my 2014. Just did not want to take a chance and get another headache. With that said, personally would keep the auto.

🇺🇸
D1STRRBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
...but it's still 10000x more fun to drive a m/t lol Even if it's not the best trans in the world, even if its a tad slower than the auto, I'd take the m/t!
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

Region: Alaska
Manual all day everyday

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
wbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I prefer the auto, though that might just be because I've spent so much time with it. My car is still a blast to drive.
RJTheIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Think carefully...you're contemplating trading for a car with a year more depreciation on it. Not smart.

You, on the other hand, have the the less desirable (from a resale standpoint) auto trans. The autos are solid and have very few failure modes, like most automatic transmissions. Manual trans always have more failure modes, as you factor in the imperfect operation by the driver.

There may be rules where you are that prevent this from being a straight across, no tax, trade. Research before you try this.

If the '13 car has lived this long without problems there is likely nothing wrong with the MT.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
At the end of the day if it makes you happy to get the manual and him the auto, why not? The manual is great when you get a shifter worth a damn and get a trans bushing insert.

I will say your car being 1 year newer and auto is worth more. Or at least cost more new and most likely has a higher kbb value.

That said, I know a manual is "slower" but I wouldn't have mine any other way. Let us know what you decide!

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5inco View Post
I have a 2014 gt auto. My brother in law has a 2013 same color similar conditions manual. We talked about trading our cars, would it be a good decision? Ive read alot of bad things about the manual tranny.

First, how much mileage does each have. Second, your trading for a car that is one year older than your present car. Why? Third, how much will your car insurance go up? Not worth it if your insurance goes up and you get a car one year older.

If you financed your cars, doubt if the companies will trade the paperwork. What about your both of you on your credit histories? Are you willing to finance a year older car, just because it's a manual?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Keep the auto. Tci street fighter ratchet shifter....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
A pretty much bullet proof auto for a chinese manual.... Just borrow ur bro's car when you get the itch. Lol.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
A pretty much bullet proof auto for a chinese manual.... Just borrow ur bro's car when you get the itch. Lol.

Which will be all the time

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I have a 14 manual GT and also had a 11 GT manual that I traded at 50k miles. What problems are people talking about with it? That it's notchy? OK big deal. I kind of like it that way. I've never missed a gear, grinded gears, saw parts fall off under the car..? Yes she's notchy but it feels solid and never slips. There's no guessing if you've made it from first to second and so on.
Seriously, what's all the hate on MT82? Did you guys come from Civics with tiny little smooth manual transmissions?
is it not holding up on a race track?......if that's the case, well.....there's the problem. Don't beat the #### out of it Derpy.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I have a 14 manual GT and also had a 11 GT manual that I traded at 50k miles. What problems are people talking about with it? That it's notchy? OK big deal. I kind of like it that way. I've never missed a gear, grinded gears, saw parts fall off under the car..? Yes she's notchy but it feels solid and never slips. There's no guessing if you've made it from first to second and so on.
Seriously, what's all the hate on MT82? Did you guys come from Civics with tiny little smooth manual transmissions?
is it not holding up on a race track?......if that's the case, well.....there's the problem. Don't beat the #### out of it Derpy.
I agree. I have a 14 manual GT and have no problem. I had a 04 also - no problems. Sounds like some people need to learn how to drive stick better.

Want a muscle car with a V8? Go stick to get that "real" feel of a muscle car.
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Trade auto for manual

Manual all the way. If you actually LIKE DRIVING and don't just want to be driven, go for the manual. You can always get another auto when you're 70...

Just keep in mind the mileage of the '13 to make sure you're getting a good deal. So it's a year older? So what? The actual fun you'll have actually DRIVING the car is actually worth it!

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
Manual all the way. If you actually LIKE DRIVING and don't just want to be driven, go for the manual. You can always get another auto when you're 70...
Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Nailed it...
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
trade for 2 weeks then decide...
Old 05-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
trade for 2 weeks then decide...
Exactly what I was going to say. Why not "unofficially" trade for a short time period (at least a week), to see if the grass really is greener on the other side. Often times, the fantasy of what you don't have isn't as good once you get it.

I'd do an even trade (if I was him), if the miles were similar. If one has significantly higher miles I'd ask for a little money to offset that. But the year doesn't really matter THAT much, since the 13-14's are both the same "model" in appearance and are both desirable years.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Hey Rizz, wanna trade my V6 for your V8 Vert?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg View Post
I agree. I have a 14 manual GT and have no problem. I had a 04 also - no problems. Sounds like some people need to learn how to drive stick better.

Want a muscle car with a V8? Go stick to get that "real" feel of a muscle car.
Skipping a plastic fork pad at WOT when hitting a gear is a failure of the fork pad, not driver error.

There's plenty to improve to bring it up to "par" with other power car transmissions that have zero to do with the driver.

Like that stamped stock exhaust hanger for a shifter brace. Mmhmmm. Driver error, indeed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
I wish I could borrow an auto for a week and see if I liked it better.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

His has about 20k or less mine just hit 16k. Mine is stock exept for exhaust. He has a few mods, i really dont care about the year difference, insurance i doubt its going to be a big difference. I had a 02 gt with manual and i really liked it, also in my opinion exhaust sounds better with manual when shifting but thats just me. Im still thinking about it.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Honestly man if you are thinking about a manual you won't be satisfied until you have one. Not long after I got my 6 I started wanted a v8 swap and was obsessed with it for a year and then finally got an 8 and now I am satisfied. I say make the trade
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
You'll have more fun with a manual.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I think im going to do it

Old 05-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5inco View Post
I think im going to do it

YYEESS! Nothing against automatics... But when I see any nice/fast car l look inside to see if it's an auto or manual. If it's an auto I whisper to myself "damn...that sucks"
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub9stang View Post
YYEESS! Nothing against automatics... But when I see any nice/fast car l look inside to see if it's an auto or manual. If it's an auto I whisper to myself "damn...that sucks"
I do the same ubless the person drag races
Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The manual transmission is junk in these cars. Theres no difference between the 11/12 and 13/14 transmission either. Unless you baby it or don't expect to keep if a long time I'd stick with your auto. U was going to buy an m6 until I did a lot of research. Needless to say after months of research I decided on an auto. The 6sp auto is a nice trans. Put a stall converter in it and let it eat.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

^ hard to say the 6spd manual in these cars is "junk" unless you have owned one or had personal experiences with them. When you hear about people who have a messed up manual you rarely hear the truth on how it happened.

Today I took off and power shifted like a crazy person and banged gears chirping 1-4 with trac control on. No missed shifts, no grinds, no problems. Really the first time I've rode it that hard. I was impressed with how fast I could shift and how smooth it felt. But I have the FRPP short shifter and Steeda trans bushing insert. Prior to that the trans was sloppy and I couldn't stand it. Now, honestly it's the best shifting manual trans I've had. And I have had 5-6 other manual trans cars.

So before you say something you "read about" on the internet no less, consider maybe you really don't know what it's all about.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
^^^^Have you swapped to any different fluids?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
^^^^Have you swapped to any different fluids?

If this was for me, no I have not swapped the fluids yet. My car has about 17600 miles on it. It will get amsoil trans fluid probably by 20k. But seriously I think with just these few parts that tighten things up and cancel out all the "comfort" crap ford felt they had to do to make some people happy, it's a great transmission.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Today I took off and power shifted like a crazy person and banged gears chirping 1-4 with trac control on. No missed shifts, no grinds, no problems. Really the first time I've rode it that hard.
Showoff.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Showoff.

You loved it too

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
^ hard to say the 6spd manual in these cars is "junk" unless you have owned one or had personal experiences with them. When you hear about people who have a messed up manual you rarely hear the truth on how it happened.

Today I took off and power shifted like a crazy person and banged gears chirping 1-4 with trac control on. No missed shifts, no grinds, no problems. Really the first time I've rode it that hard. I was impressed with how fast I could shift and how smooth it felt. But I have the FRPP short shifter and Steeda trans bushing insert. Prior to that the trans was sloppy and I couldn't stand it. Now, honestly it's the best shifting manual trans I've had. And I have had 5-6 other manual trans cars.

So before you say something you "read about" on the internet no less, consider maybe you really don't know what it's all about.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
I don't need to own one to know it's junk. U made one clean pass, congrats. Just a matter of time before the issues start. They're not simply Internet stories. They're real scenarios where the junks have failed. I have 2 friends that work at 2 different Ford dealerships and trust me... They're weak junk. Won't last. Enjoy it while you can. I can also start counting off how many m6 cars I've drug down the 1320 and over half of them had issues getting Into usually third gear....with the shifter and bushing mods. Every one of them said they wished they'd bought an a6. Those aren't Internet stories but real life. Hope you have good luck with yours and a few ppl do get lucky. Either way you wanna spin it, the a6 is an all around better more durable trans the the mt82. Believe me if it was a good trans I'd have gotten one too.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

An automatic should beat a manual down the track lol.
Stop the pissing match it is dumb. And the "my friend says" thing is dumb
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Trade auto for manual

Wait wait wait. I've got a solution to this. It's some mind blowing $h!t. Get ready. Here it comes.
Upgrade to a better transmission weather it's an auto or manual...
Mind officially blown.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT