Kook's LTH/ Kooks O/R X-Pipe question. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Kook's LTH/ Kooks O/R X-Pipe question.

So, Im wanting to hear some input from the people out there running the Kook's 1 7/8 Long Tube headers and Off Road X-Pipe. I did some online research and asked around for the best set of headers/x-pipe I could go with on my car. Right off the bat everyone seemed to be in love with the Kook's LTH/O/R X- Pipe, So I ended up picking up a set along with the x-pipe. Everyone talked about big gains after installing these 2 mods and tuning for them so I was needless to say really excited to get mine installed and get a new tune.

The mods on my car before the headers/x-pipe were ( JLT CAI, GT500 Axle Backs, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Bamma tune and some suspension mods.) After I installed the headers/x-pipe I went with a Lund Racing tune because I heard a lot of good things about his tunes and was just looking to change it up a bit and see what was out there. Once headers and x-pipe were installed and the tune was loaded.. well, lets just say I didn't feel the hype that everyone was talking about.. Actually to me I felt as if the car lost power.

Im not really sure how much of it has to do with the tune, I have been having some issues with cold start idle and throttle response as well as pretty rich AFRs since I started running this tune on the new setup. I did some logging on the tune and sent them to Lund for review and he assured me that everything looked ok and that we didn't need to make any changes. With that being said, the car just does not seem to pull like it used to.

So, What Im asking is anyone with the same header/x-pipe please post back on what you felt after you installed and tuned on them. Most everyone I see posting about them says they felt noticeable gains. I was thinking that yeah running the more open exhaust set up, I might just be missing some of the low end torque that I was used to before, But the car feels like its not really pulling up top as well. Any input would be great!
WundrbreadzDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I would say the "feelings" that you've lost power is due to the 1 7/8 primaries - its an overkill for n/a application like yours. I'm not sure what people you spoke to were running, but IMO 1 3/4 is right where its at - gobs of power.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
^ most will probabl ,agree with that, and Lund needs to work the tune out as well.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I was worried that might be the case, I do want to eventually go the supercharger rout but not really able to do that any time soon. from what people were saying "The coyote motors love to breathe and you will see nice power from the 1 7/8 headers plus, you will have head room for when you get the blower". Now Im wishing that I would have went with the 1 3/4 headers.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
i went with 1 7/8 and the offroad x with kooks. I agree that the 1 3/4 would have been better. ran them about a year before getting a Paxton. much more satisfied now your tuner has to do with that as well. had mine tuned by a local shop and it pulled a lot harder.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WundrbreadzDEAD View Post
I was worried that might be the case, I do want to eventually go the supercharger rout but not really able to do that any time soon. from what people were saying "The coyote motors love to breathe and you will see nice power from the 1 7/8 headers plus, you will have head room for when you get the blower". Now Im wishing that I would have went with the 1 3/4 headers.
I have been saying this for years and people just don't seem to listen...thank you for making my point. However, I am very sorry that you had to find this out the hard way

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I went with bbk 1 3/4" with a high flow catted x pipe cause in toronto there super strick with emissions and I loved the gains. You can definitely make your setup work well just need some datalogging. But you will be happy when the time comes for a blower

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So update, I found a guy in town that wanted to buy the headers (even though I told him they were killing the cars power with the bigger primaries.) So I got it in the garage after I got off work and got them pulled out. Now Im just waiting on the kooks 1 3/4 headers to come in the mail! So everything kinda worked out in my favor Thanks for the input everyone! One more quick question, Is anyone running the Kook's O/R x-pipe? I have some issues with the fitment and was wondering if anyone else had the same and what you did to correct it. Basically I had to fight them into place where they meet the headers and, the way my mid pipes mount up to it is causing my exhaust to sit out of place in the bumper cut outs. I have the GT500 twin tips so when they are not lined up they look funky lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT